Map of trails - Doi Suthep - Doi Pui

Myshkin

http://chiangmaibiking.wordpress.com/

Not a big club but they have some good tracks on DP and DS.

PM them for the gps trails, if you don't want to go along with them.

PS

You really shouldn't be doing these trails alone, poor phone coverage when away from the tarmac roads.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

Is anyone hiking on these too, or are these just for bikes?

I've been looking for some good hiking trails on Suthep and Pui, but coming up empty.

The whole area is covered in hiking trails.

This guy has uploaded a lot of trails with downloadable GPS tracks in the area, but many other people also publish.

http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=781930

(I often use his tracks)

• Like 2

Tokay, there is a nice hiking trail I found years ago. Head up the Suthep Road as far as you can. The last place to eat is a branch of Pun Pun which is on your left as you head towards the mountain.

At the next intersection, go right and follow the signs to the rear entrance of the Chiang Mai zoo. Just head up the road until the road ends, and that's where the trail begins.

It will take you about 35 minutes or so walking up the trail to get to Wat Palap. Finding the trail that takes you all the way to the top to Wat Doi Suthep is a bit harder. From Wat Palap you need to get up to the paved road, and I know of three ways of doing this. The easiest is the driveway heading into Wat Palap.

Once on the road, walk uphill and keep looking across the road for any signs of a trail. You should find it about 30 meters before a bend in the road and a small bridge. That path leads you nearly to the Doi Suthep temple.

Happy hiking.

• Like 2

Is anyone hiking on these too, or are these just for bikes?

I've been looking for some good hiking trails on Suthep and Pui, but coming up empty.

The whole area is covered in hiking trails.

This guy has uploaded a lot of trails with downloadable GPS tracks in the area, but many other people also publish.

http://www.everytrail.com/profile.php?user_id=781930

(I often use his tracks)

That is exactly what I have been searching for. THANK YOU!

My worry has been to get on a trail that ended up being too difficult for me. I'm new to trekking so I don't want to overdo it and end up lost in the jungle on a trail too steep and wet to navigate.

Tokay, there is a nice hiking trail I found years ago. Head up the Suthep Road as far as you can. The last place to eat is a branch of Pun Pun which is on your left as you head towards the mountain.

At the next intersection, go right and follow the signs to the rear entrance of the Chiang Mai zoo. Just head up the road until the road ends, and that's where the trail begins.

It will take you about 35 minutes or so walking up the trail to get to Wat Palap. Finding the trail that takes you all the way to the top to Wat Doi Suthep is a bit harder. From Wat Palap you need to get up to the paved road, and I know of three ways of doing this. The easiest is the driveway heading into Wat Palap.

Once on the road, walk uphill and keep looking across the road for any signs of a trail. You should find it about 30 meters before a bend in the road and a small bridge. That path leads you nearly to the Doi Suthep temple.

Happy hiking.

Brilliant. Thank you!!!! Will check it out this weekend.

Remember, after you pass Pun Pun you need to go to the right at the next intersection rather than going straight up the steep incline.

Follow this road about 200 meters or so and swing around to your left at the first opportunity, headed towards the hill. This road leads to the rear entrance of the Chiang Mai Zoo.

Now just keep following the road up until it ends. The path starts there. Very early on the path divides into two. Staying to the right is the best choice, but it doesn't really matter since all the paths eventually lead to Wat Palap.

I don't think so. I am not sure but I think that is where you end up if you go to the top of Suthep Road and go up the steep incline. At that intersection you need to turn right and follow the signs to the walking trail and the Chiang Mai Zoo 2 (rear) entrance.