PM Prayut wants quality tourists to visit Thailand

webfact

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

must be more selective in allowing tourists to come to Thailand

Didn't they just allow visa waiver for load of places?

Yep, all those high caliber, top notch Chinese tourists. They even do high caliber stuff like poo poo in the moat in chiangmai, remember?

• Like 1

In reference to back packers I seen them puking out if front of bars grabbing waitress's butts And picking up the local ladyboys.

I've seen blokes on 6 figure salaries do the same I've seen rich Arabs do the same do you have a relevant point you're trying to make??

• Like 2

Prayut wants quality tourists to visit Thailand

There was a misprint typo in the actual headline which was meant to read as below.

PM Prayut doesn't want quality foreign police investigators in to visit Thailand

Wonder whether Lord Lucan made it here? wai2.gif

Top quality breeding upper class British tourist material there for the Thais to see and to possibly use as a yardstick for the measuring of ''quality of my fellow Brits and others no doubt as British tourists.''.whistling.gif .

Edited by siampolee

In reference to back packers I seen them puking out if front of bars grabbing waitress's butts And picking up the local ladyboys.

And you know they're backpackers because they all wear them 24/7?

How many old retired bank managers and professionals get pissed up in the country clubs after a round of golf where they "cosy up" to their caddies ???

Another old timer with zero life no doubts!!

I've seen all the same things all over the world blokes pissing and spewing in the streets and grabbing birds <deleted> it happens quite often in the UK too as well as places like Spain, who mentioned Ibiza as a quality place ? That used to be Spain's Pattaya !!!!

In a few years countries like Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and even China will be far more developed and tourist friendly than they are now. And when that happens the "quality tourist" will collectively spit in the face of the brain dead, racist, arrogant Thais and maybe then these incomprehensibly stupid people will finally learn that the world does not revolve around them and that if they want their tourist revenue back, to rescue their pathetic country from the recession it will be in, then they will have to get on their knees and do you know what. And these morons will learn that not even China will be their friend. Who will they market to next...Africa, North Korea, ISIS? And if there is one country in the world that deserves and will receive no sympathy then it will be Thailand. I find thainess more obscene and disgusting by the day and each and every attempt of theirs to compel me to spend more money in their banana republic country just results in me spending less.

Wow, that's way over the top. Did she ditch you? Why are you still in TV?

it can be addictive, even once you've seen the (dimming) light.

• Like 1

And you know they're backpackers because they all wear them 24/7?

How many old retired bank managers and professionals get pissed up in the country clubs after a round of golf where they "cosy up" to their caddies ???

Another old timer with zero life no doubts!!

I've seen all the same things all over the world blokes pissing and spewing in the streets and grabbing birds it happens quite often in the UK too as well as places like Spain, who mentioned Ibiza as a quality place ? That used to be Spain's Pattaya !!!!

Only a bit of Ibiza is like it apparently, the rest is very pleasant I'm told.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really????????????/ That s not what tourists interviewed in UK and US say!! They rate it as the SECOND most dangerous destination in the world - but then you know best as usual!! Oh by the way every time I read one of your nauseating posts it becomes clear that seemingly Russian tourists are not the only ones who dont care about corruption alt=sick.gif>

Just as a matter of vague interest, do you have a link to what you are claiming, that UK & US tourists interviewed regard Thailand as the second most dangerous destination in the world?

Personally, if I was a tourist and was interviewed, Thailand wouldn't rate in the first 20 destinations that I would name.

But, that's polls for you......................

every city in the world has its areas where people shouldn't go - the problem here is that there are no specific areas - e.g. beach road in the tourist beach resort of Pattaya should be a safe place to roam day or night - but it isn't, there literally is no safe area in Thai resort cities that you could call tourist safe - that is the problem in a nutshell - and it is getting worse not better I suspect being driven by an ever increasing serious drug problem which in my opinion is now way out of control - greed and money feeds this place and unfortunately those that are entrusted with defeating crime are up to their necks in it

I do of course understand that, tourists need to feel safe as much as they need to be safe. I am not disputing that.

What I don't understand is the claimed statement that interviewed tourists from the UK and the US have said that Thailand is the second most dangerous destination in the world.

If everyone interviewed was a first time traveler, and the only country they had visited was Thailand, I could understand them putting Thailand second to their country of origin........................wink.png

If indeed it is a true fact from a reputable source, then in my very humble opinion they need to arrange their questions properly.

Thailand is as always doing Everything backwards....it is Amazing ( Thailand ).....when you Think you will hear a somewhat "normal " statement from someone higher up in the hierarky.......it becomes even worse !! Quality Tourists ?????? You change your priorities Mr. Prayut ! You got it all wrong....what is wrong with you people, you have to treat all visitors who visits your K ingdom with more respect than you Think !! It is not Always just a matter of HARDCASH in the pocket !!

This comment was copied and paste... good comment. .Quality tourists will be lining up to come here. I can just see them wanting quality murders, quality scams, quality multi-tiered pricing, and quality police shake-downs. If Thailand wants quality, they first have to provide quality. I wonder if the Thai people read our post???????? Do they know how bad it can be for some tourist?

By 'quality tourist" I assume they mean those who stay at resorts, are driven about by hotel staff, etc. Has anyone done a study of economic contribution of those quality tourists to local economy? I would assume those resorts are owned by elites and foreign interests. Would seem most of impact would be of trickle down sort, from hiring staff to man resorts. Elites don't eat at food stalls, stay at local small hotels etc

But backpacker types should have a much higher multiplier effect from their spending. They support local economy, the mom and pop businesses who in turn support other local businesses. They may spend far less per day, but I would bet stay longer and help common Thai people far more than the elites that have the ear of those in government, who just parrot what they are told.

• Like 2

IMMIGRATION LINE NUMBER 1: IMMIGRATION LINES 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 (no waiting):

Backpackers Thai nationals temporarily returning for holiday

Chinese Japanese who really know karaoke

Yingluck Celebrities

Hotties in bikinis Russians who own a yacht (proof of ownership required)

Yingluck in a bikini Medical tourists (must pass Ebola screening)

Backpackers in bikinis Sheep

Chinese in bikinis Ugly girls in bikinis

Nosy damn Brits

French men in Speedos

Pesky foreign reporters who don't nod like a woodpecker whenever I'm speaking

People whose DNA is already on record somewhere (just in case we need to do a little CYA)

Nosy damn Burmese

Anyone carrying guitars (except celebs-go to lines 2-10, please)

Any individual proficient in self-defense who might beat up a large pack of attacking Thai males

Steven Seagal

Of course the yacht must have that tracking device on it like they insist on in Phucket now.

Will there be a Quality Tourist Tax, say $200 each, upon entry to Thailand? That way only a "quality" tourist can afford to come to Thailand for a vacation and the less fortunate thousands of riff raff can find some other country nearby like Mynamar, Cambodia, or Viet Nam to visit instead. And for every non-quality tourist turned away goes a generation of tourists.

• Like 1

Non quality tourists should be as follows: (1) Alcoholics millions here already. Easy to spot. Beer Lao wife beater T-shirts , red faces, dress like total slops. (2) Sex tourists= Alcoholics rid Thailand of these scum and things would greatly improve. (3) FMP Gap Year Idiots can spot them a mile away add (1) and (2) to that list. (4) Foreign Criminals again easy to spot. Better background checks are needed. (5) Hippie broke wannabes Khao San Road /Pai crowd. Thailand needs to copy Bhutan far fewer scum = better tourists and far fewer problems.

More hot air from the worn out old soldier.

With no criminal record checks for short term visitors, and visa free entry, how on earth will this be done in practice? Ah I got it - visas will be needed by everyone. As if tourism wasn't totally screwed already, this guy is trying to make it a whole lot worse.

There's always the recent suggestion of Martial Tourism, I guess. Watch them come over in droves!

More hot air from the worn out old soldier.

With no criminal record checks for short term visitors, and visa free entry, how on earth will this be done in practice? Ah I got it - visas will be needed by everyone. As if tourism wasn't totally screwed already, this guy is trying to make it a whole lot worse.

There's always the recent suggestion of Martial Tourism, I guess. Watch them come over in droves!

Name dropping------what about comparing Chalerm antics, The PM can run rings round him. Had PTP organized themselves and run the job according to the vows they took, there would be little work for the PM to do.

prayuth seemed to be doing a good job for the first three months but now the power seems to have gone to his head and without proper feedback due to censorship he is in danger of becoming delusional.

It seems that he should have handed over to a quality statesman like Anand Panyachun who understands things like economic reform and foreign relations. Prayuth could have retained power behind the scenes in the NCPO and taken credit if things went well.

You raise a very good point. when the coup took place many on this forum applauded the general - they were entitled so to do, but I was not one of them.

The problem is that after a period, anyone with absolute power begins to believe their own propaganda and the messages fro their officials, designed to 'please' the leader.

History shows it has happened all over the world. Very sad but true. I, for one, will be leaving early next year after seven years - simply because I believe things will get worse and more bizarre. Sad really but..........

• Like 2

Sad thing is he is starting to sound more and more like Thaksin - UN not my father, Thai Eliite Card to encourage quality tourists.

Foreign relations with the developed world was pretty much a write off from the start, then he makes the supreme commander foreign minister, now this - what message for the ASEM meeting in Milan I wonder? There is also now a risk of relations with Burma, the junta's most natural ally, deteriorating. Burma supplies a huge chunk of Thailand's unskilled labour and Thai companies are desperate to invest on Burma's more rapidly growing economy. Is it wise to pick fights with Burma and the West at the same time? Do they teach that at The military academy?

Meanwhile the economy is under pressure fr all sides. The consumer is too highly leveraged to borrow more. External demand is weak and Thai exporters have failed to move up the ladder to higher value added - still making disk drives but not smart phones.

Tourist arrivals are already down 11% as demand from China and Russia falters. Now we are going to repeat Thaksin's mistake of telling backpackers they are not welcome, even though their per capita spending is higher than the Chinese tourists and they tend go back and promote Thailand and come later with families. Duh.

I believe that I am right in saying that government subsidies for rubber and rice are to stay. And I did read a report that rice farmers are to be paid 1000 baht per Rai to NOT grow a second crop of rice. Although I'll believe the last one when I see it.

But still, we haven't quite seen the move away from populist policies that were so ridiculed in the past. And which of course are unsustainable in the long term.

I said right at the beginning of this coup, military governments can do well in the short term because they can take decisive action on the obvious no brainers. Long term it gets much more difficult for soldiers to run a country. I mean, just look at how backward Myanmar is despite all it's natural resources.

• Like 1

There's hardly a day without some body in charge saying something utterly stupid.....in Thailand.

Didn't Thaksin wanted exactly the same years ago ???? He wanted to get rid of the backpackers to....

And then the Bangkok Post ran a article stating that the Backpackers were the best tourists for the economy...

Backpackers spend money at small businesses, restaurants, guest houses, take buses, and the so called quality tourists, payed there trip in advance to big multinational hotels and Travel companies...and only a small portion of this money goes to Thailand the biggest portion is invested abroad....

And what would be the criteria to judge quality tourists..??? the amount of money they spend...???

By the way,....when the US fleet comes to Pataya, will they be counted as quality tourists....??? they spend millions...!!!

• Like 1

Hilarious!!! Never changes here. At least 30 years ago, before news coverage was instantaneous and world wide, they could make their crazy statements knowing for the most part they would be for internal audience. Surely they must realize that the entire world hears what they are saying as soon as they say it, but they sure don't act like it. I enjoy reminiscing back at the years I have been associated with Thailand in one form or another. Pattaya has had a campaign to increase "quality" and family tourist business for 30 years. There are so many other classic examples. It is regrettable that these remarks are in the context of such a terrible tragedy. At least, as was already noted in this forum, these comments keep media focused on the tragedy that is KT, surrounding islands and that entire Provence.

• Like 1

Non quality tourists should be as follows: (1) Alcoholics millions here already. Easy to spot. Beer Lao wife beater T-shirts , red faces, dress like total slops. (2) Sex tourists= Alcoholics rid Thailand of these scum and things would greatly improve. (3) FMP Gap Year Idiots can spot them a mile away add (1) and (2) to that list. (4) Foreign Criminals again easy to spot. Better background checks are needed. (5) Hippie broke wannabes Khao San Road /Pai crowd. Thailand needs to copy Bhutan far fewer scum = better tourists and far fewer problems.

Think you will find sex tourists are probably top of the pile as far as quality goes and that's purely down to how much money they spend in the bars and businesses in those areas. Think about how much of that money goes up country to help build houses ect... Take a family of 4 vs 4 sex tourists on a 2 week holiday. Which group do you think will spend more?

Maybe you should holiday elsewhere, like Bhutan.

Edited by wellred
  • Like 2