Thailand plans one of world's tallest skyscrapers

webfact

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Environmental or social impact study? Planning permission? Or is it just a case of buying a piece of ground and whacking up whatever monstrosity springs to mind? If it's the latter it would explain why Bangkok is up there amongst the ugliest cities of the world.

I so absolutely agree .... forgot about all the nonsense posted here about whether it will sink or fall over or whatever.... mu qualm is DO WE REALLY NEED ANOTHER MONSTROUS UGLY FRICKING SKYSCRAPER IN THE WORLD....?? ughhhh!!! And why the competition to have the tallest one....?? Duh!! Nothing better to do with those $$$ than to expand the concrete jungles that already exist in nauseating proportions throughout the world.... No wonder the world is in the chaos it is in these days .... bah.gif

• Like 1

I have seen the architects design...it is that of a large phalanx...the top floor penthouse will resemble a Roman orgy...with scantly clad young women running around servicing the clients...the underground will house the lady boy crowd...

From an engineering point of view this is shear adulterated madness. The water table is so high that even if the foundations were excavated down the equivalent of 15-20 floors they would still remain unstable. There just isn't enough concrete even in Thailand to substitute for hard rock.

I guess only the extremely foolish, wealthy or social climbing Chinese will purchase an apartment and then I hope they have bucket loads of insurance (if they can get it). The Eureka Tower in Melbourne, Australia comes to mind. Although small by comparison it too required DEEP foundations and gold tinted glass and fittings just to entice the Chinese to buy an apartment - they did!

I think this is irrelevant as the builders in Thailand are amongst the best in the world. It will be okay - you worry to much. It will be built with the best materials and best talent available with the money left.

Good luck,I hope it succeeds ,did you know Thailand is heading towards the golden era,in the next 40 to 50 years Thailand will be up there with the rest of the world,if the Thais are at least trying ,give them confidence and credit,

Thank god... After 53 depressing comments (as usual on this forum)... One positive comment :)

This building will be great.

I'll buy a condo somewhere in the top floors for sure.

Can't wait :rolleyes:

Good luck,I hope it succeeds ,did you know Thailand is heading towards the golden era,in the next 40 to 50 years Thailand will be up there with the rest of the world,if the Thais are at least trying ,give them confidence and credit,

Thank god... After 53 depressing comments (as usual on this forum)... One positive comment smile.png

Can't wait rolleyes.gif

And finally as 100th comment one from a dreaming apologist.

Did you notice that there will be no condo's in the building ?

• Like 1

This is a PRIVATE company, it is not government money, it is shareholder funds and debt paying for it.

AFAIK Grand Canal (the developer) AKA GLand are doing a massive development including the Robinson/Central Rama 9 shopping center (already open), Belle Park (already open) and a bunch of already let office buildings which will house Unilever among others (already under construction). They hope to unlock the value of their massive 70+ rai site by building 1 'hero' tower which will give a halo to the rest of the development as the new CBD of Bangkok (their name not mine).

The hero tower may not in itself get as much of a premium as they want, but that remains to be seen; within the overall development it seems to be a reasonably logical decision, even if it may be the wrong one (I question whether Rama 9 and Ratchada would EVER be considered a new city CBD, having heard the same thing about Rama 3 and Muangthong Thani, but they seem to have the funding and tenants to make it possible and at least successful as a fancy office park). With enough scale, they can link in to the express way and roading system, they are next to the MRT, very close to the airport link.....as far as ambitious projects go it's not too far in left field (unlike Ocean Tower 1).

I question whether you can get a premium on rental per sqm for supertall office space in Bangkok (I know you can for residential proven by Iconsiam, MahaNakhon, et al) but again, the developer is probably looking at this one element as part of a whole; a bit like putting restaurants and a supermarket in a shopping center - the SOM tower helps him achieve the tenancies he needs for the rest of the development. So this is not some pie in the sky random idea, this is a decent sized developer with most of the development done or underway, announcing the next component.

With regards to construction, given the real architects behind this are SOM, an international firm, it would seem that if you think the engineering is not up to scratch then you would have to wonder about Willis Tower and Burj Khalifa, both also SOM designed buildings.

There are numerous buildings above 250m, and a few now going above 300m; piling goes down deep enough to protect the building from earthquakes etc. Supposedly. Foundations are typically something like 20-25% of the height of the building, and it depends a lot on the shape of the base.

The idea that a company whose business is building and leasing buildings should not build something because 70 years from now Bangkok might or might not be flooded is something some of you 'experts' should propose at some property developer shareholder meetings, please let me know when you do, as a shareholder they tend to be pretty boring affairs, having some good comedy as the farang self proclaimed expert explains the concepts of business and preserving shareholder value by not doing anything in preparation for the next 70 years should be good for a laugh.

Furthermore, the developer is in a competitive business. Univentures/Golden Land (K Charoen) and/or Central et al are encroaching on the office space territory with the Lumpini mega project, whoever locks up the big multinationals first will be the success and the other will be the also ran (perhaps).

Its a ballsy project.

Ocean 1 was a foreign developer with some track record, trying to launch a mega tower with a need to sell a huge proportion of the building to get funding, in a non beachside location. This is a lot more likely to get off the ground; I wouldn't count on it, but for sure WaterFront, IconSiam and MahaNakhon are all happening, this one and the Circle's Thonglor 36 developments are the ones that are maybe too early to say. Offices and hotels are easier because there is no necessarily a leveraging aspect with financing tied to sell through rates, in this case they may be able to secure financing quite quickly (in fact they already have) to start building...whereas a resi tower needs 40% sales (sometimes more sometimes less) before banks start allowing draw downs for construction. On the flip side....hard to make money out of the hotel or the office tower sometimes, and more so for a supertall if you don't really nail the efficiency. However....if you are making money out of resi, hotel, retail, mid rise commercial, high rise commercial, convention center....and then you plop a mega tall in the center as the cherry on top....there's a certain amount of logic to that.

Cherries. Yum. I'll prepare some for that shareholder meeting Q&A. Along with some pie. Maybe Cherry & humble pie.

I still have serious doubts about the economics, but so long as it is only using investors' money and there are no government guarantees on the loans, good luck to them. I think they'll need it.

BTW, do you know if there are government guarantees on the loans, or any other government financed incentives?

Thank god... After 53 depressing comments (as usual on this forum)... One positive comment smile.png

Can't wait rolleyes.gif

And finally as 100th comment one from a dreaming apologist.

Did you notice that there will be no condo's in the building ?

Uhm... Then I buy the observation deck :D

Can't wait :rolleyes:

A planning question should be, is the local fire brigade sufficiently equipped to deal with fires in such a building?

I doubt they have 615 meter tall ladders.

Well I doubt that too. But is there an adequately resourced response plan?

Thats a big IF..had it been in any other country i can believe..by the way the 4th largest bulding 1wtc tower in NYC is 540meters I think 615 currently would be the worlds 3rd tallest building unless 6 other buildings are being built between now and 2019. @615 theres no seeing anything except smog and clouds probably have obervatory much lower am sure..nice thought will beleieve if see liie anything else...i am interested in locating a bookie that would give odds for/against this project happening??

will the worlds tallest building in Thailand have special windows to stop Falang doing starfish finishes out of windows, because if not they will make a big Splash. and will all Falng with Thai Girlfriends or wife's, be banned from all the floors from the ground floor up.

Edited by Thongkorn
  • Like 1

Every single time I had to use any kind of tradesman it was a disaster .

Electrician , wrong wiring and usually breaks after few days or weeks.

Plumber, breaks non broken parts

New floor and cement and tiles break or come off after a few months .

It is a really scary thought that those be the ones building such a high rise .

However, somehow with all the incompetence , lack of skills, quality and pride everything in this country seems to work .

Bangkok is sinking already,,To go that high,,It would have to be ,a very large ground floor,,Piled ,with a very deep raft on top..Thailand is full of underground lakes and rivers,ie,,the leaning tower of pizza,,I would not go near it,,Ive seen there construction,,They never test the cement,before it is poured,,

more talking without the facts

but if the Chinese are looking to do something with their US dollar holdings, that makes a great conversion rate, labor is cheap and they get to control a large swath of the community, which they will probably one day control anyway,

seems like good business

I wonder where they plan to build, and how far the support columns will go down? Any engineers here?

The newspaper beginning with b and ebding with t which cannot be named has more info , on location