Ebola outbreak: Second Texas health worker 'tests positive'

webfact

Ebola bio-hazard suit: How to wear it and what can go wrong

The BBC's Alastair Leithead visited the National Biocontainment Training Centre in Galveston, Texas to try on a bio-hazard suit and see just how hard it is to guarantee the safety of Ebola doctors and nurses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-29628834

Good information - very informative... I only wish the health care workers had actually been wearing a real bio-hazard suit... but they were wearing only an abbreviated one... no head covering and some exposed skin ... and other exposures... just really sad ...

I do a lot of work with hazardous waste (asbestos and chemicals, occasionally anthrax risks) and it's my opinion the protocol shown is utterly inadequate especially when it comes to hand and lower arm contact. These should be one piece suits including hood and they should go through a sterilisation shower before removal. I also doubt the adequacy of respiratory protection.

The PPE shown was certainly not user friendly, difficult to work in and under pressure I can see why this system is failing those it's meant to protect.

It's no wonder medical personnel are becoming infected.

A buddy system is buried somewhere - I hear - in the CDC protocols and procedures.. But I have read that the buddy system was not in use at Presbyterian Hospital... That is someone to watch and even coach as a person puts on their protective gear and watch while they take it off ... For the purpose of detecting a flaw in the procedure and helping to correct it via coaching ... to include proper decontamination...

The only good thing about this mess is that it provides hard learned lessons on just how serious medical and nursing personnel have to get to deal with Ebola... The U.S. and the U.S. medical system is certainly sobered up now.

Edited by JDGRUEN

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ebola ruled out - no danger declared after cursory exam. Congressman King fired off a letter to Homeland Security very concerned about the procedures and the cursory exam.

Alarm after vomiting passenger dies on flight from Nigeria to JFK

A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/alarm-after-vomiting-passenger-dies-on-flight-from-nigeria-to-jfk/

Edited by JDGRUEN

Nurse may have had symptoms of Ebola longer than first thought

(CNN) -- A nurse with Ebola may have shown symptoms of the virus as many as four days before authorities once indicated, meaning that she might have been contagious while flying on not just one, but two commercial flights, officials said Thursday.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/10/16/health/us-ebola/index.html

Did you guys watch CNN where that nurse blasts on the hospital? she said in the protective suit hospital provided it got a big triangle hole around the neck area!!! while hospital asked them to put on 2,3 pairs of gloves, 2 suits, etc....hole in the throat area <deleted>....Nina Pham also wore the same suit and she volunteered.....how sad hospital gonna get sued to death.....btw Nina Pham is pretty nice looking huh?

look at this vid so sad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e8DXyVc7Lw She volunteered and because of hospital's neglect she got the Ebola now....

Shes hot looking.

You expect when you are performing your duty in dangerous environments that they your superiors have your back. It is no wonder the nurses are furious. The people that were suppose to have their backs let them down.

I really hope the blood transfusion has given her enough of the antibodies to make it through this without to many problems.

Edited by bkkcanuck8

Shes hot looking.

You expect when you are performing your duty in dangerous environments that they your superiors have your back. It is no wonder the nurses are furious. The people that were suppose to have their backs let them down.

I really hope the blood transfusion has given her enough of the antibodies to make it through this without to many problems.

I'm thinking positive thoughts for her, too. She was on her own two feet walking from the plane to the ambulance on her way to Bethesda - that's hopeful.

Shes hot looking.

I'm thinking positive thoughts for her, too. She was on her own two feet walking from the plane to the ambulance on her way to Bethesda - that's hopeful.

And she has been transferred to a more competently administered hospital....

Ebola ruled out - no danger declared after cursory exam. Congressman King fired off a letter to Homeland Security very concerned about the procedures and the cursory exam.

A plane from Nigeria landed at JFK Airport Thursday with a male passenger aboard who had died during the flight after a fit of vomiting — and CDC officials conducted a “cursory” exam before announcing there was no Ebola and turning the corpse over to Port Authority cops to remove, Rep. Peter King said on Thursday.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/16/alarm-after-vomiting-passenger-dies-on-flight-from-nigeria-to-jfk/

The other symptoms that would arrive at that late stage, at the same time as vomiting, would be massive diarrhoea and bleeding from all orifices.

I think you can tell that from a cursory exam.

The other symptoms that would arrive at that late stage, at the same time as vomiting, would be massive diarrhoea and bleeding from all orifices.

I think you can tell that from a cursory exam.

It is easier to make a mistake in a cursory exam as well.....

1 Texas Ebola patient will move to Atlanta

The first Dallas health care worker with Ebola, Nina Pham, is in "improved condition today," and the second Dallas health care worker with Ebola is "ill but clinically stable," CDC Director Dr. Tom Frieden said Wednesday. Frieden said it's still to be determined whether Pham will be transferred to another facility; Frieden earlier said the second patient will be transferred to Emory University Hospital.

http://www.click2houston.com/lifestyle/health/nurses-slam-texas-hospital-for-no-ebola-plan/29135524

The Daily Mail is positively foaming at the mouth over this bloke... under the headline "Who's the idiot with the clipboard"?

1413418145946_wps_8_As_coverage_of_the_t

1413418315034_wps_11_As_coverage_of_the_

1413438537201_wps_22_Clipboard_guy_circl

I have it on good information (zerohedge, breitbart nd etc) that the man with a clip board is an alien. Aliens are immune from Ebola.