Unpaid Internship - Work permit / Visa

Dear all,

I urgently need your help. I have been offered an internship in Bangkok that is supposed to start very soon and I need to make a decision.

The (multinational) company does not want to offer me a work permit because they say that they would have to pay 50k Baht salary / month other ways, due to the fact that I am a German citizen.

I am not sure if this is true. In 2011 I completed an internship in BKK for 3 months. I received a work permit through an ED Visa. It should be said however that I was a student at the time.

The question is: Do I need a work permit as an unpaid intern? Is unpaid work considered work or education? Which Visa options do I have?

Thank you so much!

Oliver

Per above. Yes, you need a work permit. The company is wrong in that you will need a 50,000 baht salary. You can get a work permit with less, but only not an extension of stay. You should try to get a multiple non-B visa with the help of the company. That will mean you have to leave the country every 90 days, but will be able to work legally with a work permit.

Internships through an educational institution as part of your education is allowed without a work permit. But you do not seem to meet the criteria.

Per above. Yes, you need a work permit. The company is wrong in that you will need a 50,000 baht salary. You can get a work permit with less, but only not an extension of stay. You should try to get a multiple non-B visa with the help of the company. That will mean you have to leave the country every 90 days, but will be able to work legally with a work permit.

Internships through an educational institution as part of your education is allowed without a work permit. But you do not seem to meet the criteria.

Thanks for your replies.

Could you specify what you mean by "less":

"You can get a work permit with less"

So do you just get a new work permit each year then ?

Then, as indicated above, get a new non-imm 'B' visa every 90 days or every year, depending if single or multi entry. While other people are allowed to stay in country because are married, or have a Thai child.