mother inlaws ?

romeijoe

OP, you are not alone.

I, also have a mother in Law made of gold.

She lives near us, the father is dead, and she never lifted a little finger to help me or my wife in anything.

She just sits there, observing us and every so often expresses her dissatisfaction about something.

She is very grateful when I give her some money, and it is amazing how many times she appears at the beginning of the month when she knows I get my payment.

She never addresses me directly, but always complains about me to my wife.

I have allowed her full use of my garden and she never consulted me as to what is to be planted.

But when I plant anything it's no good.

Farang knows nothing.

Otherwise we have a lovely relationship.

Mine is much like yours Costas.

A good woman. hard working and a heart of gold.

Except for the garden!

I have a degree in Horticulture, am an internationally certified arborist and I know a few things about plants, trees, and gardening.

But not according to the MIL.

She took care of our place for a year before we moved here from the states and did a bit of gardening there herself before we arrived.

She still acts as if it is her garden and not mine.

I will bust my butt for a few days making improvements, landscaping, and am pretty pleased with myself when finished.

Until I ask her opinion of what I have done....

Her comment " You can not eat it!"

I understand where that comes from, but she has not been in need of food since she has met me.

To her growing anything you can not eat is a waste of time and water.

Last year, we moved, due to my work, and let her move into our house. ( she has 8 people living in her small house..told you she has a heart of gold!)

Since we have left, I've been told that she has dug up most of what I have planted and planted more vegetables!

I love her so much...I can only laugh!

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mother in law and father in law are both wonderful people. I'd welcome them both in my home anytime as they have welcomed me in theirs for many years now. Unfortunately they have no interest in leaving Thailand and visiting the US despite my standing offer to bring them over anytime.

OP certainly the experience I've had. Mom brought up 6 children single-handedly (the father was an busive drunk) as farm hired help.. They all have respect & hard working ethic. She always puts family first (in fact they are her life), takes nothing and gives everything. Angelic.

• Like 1

Just on a final note. the mother inlaw has always been a never ending wonder to me in a lot of ways. Her family left her with quite a bit of wealth and land, and what was the first thing she did with it ? well she gave it away didnt she, split her land into small lots large enough for a house and little bit of land , then as family members married one by one she gave them a piece each, until in the end she now has only a very small plot to live on. the thing is she is now surrounded by family and seems to be happy with things as they are.

yes i think i will keep this one thanks, just exactly the sort of thai i like to spend time with.

OP, you are not alone.

She lives near us, the father is dead, and she never lifted a little finger to help me or my wife in anything.

She just sits there, observing us and every so often expresses her dissatisfaction about something.

She is very grateful when I give her some money, and it is amazing how many times she appears at the beginning of the month when she knows I get my payment.

I have allowed her full use of my garden and she never consulted me as to what is to be planted.

Farang knows nothing.

will you ever run out of thais to bash?

Bashing mother in laws is a time honored tradition in any language and culture.

Its a universal experience for men and some women, regardless of culture, or time.

Just my two cents :)

• Like 1

Nice thread. Good to see people having a great relationship with their MIL and family members. Makes a pleasant change to the depressing "I got ripped off in Thailand by my family" crappy stories.

+1. My MIL is also a marvelous human being. Love her to bits.

• Like 1

I LOVE My Thai Mother in Law!! and she love me, she say I'm the only one can keep her daughter of the ground :-)

I'm laughed one time, when my wife complained that I did not agree to buy some worthless thing she wanted for the house.

her only answer was, GOOD! priceless clap2.gif

My mother-in-law does not acknowledge my presence...speaks about me as if I am not in the same room or do not understand enough Thai to know what she is saying...will not eat with me and the wife...eats after we do...and spends most of her time sitting out back of the house chewing that disgusting beetle-nut until she is in a sleepy stupor...never happy with anything we buy for her...what more could a guy ask for?

My mother in law only wants to chew mahk, too old to do anything but squat on her haunches all day pulling tiny weeds out, occasionally even out of my garden. When she was in the intensive care unit a while back we went to visit her and to her great chagrin they wouldn't let her chew mahk so she got better in one night and was chewing a gobfull on the front steps of the hospital by the time I got the car round. If she ever spills any of it in my car she'll get more than a gobfull from me. I secretly call her creeping death.

OP, you are not alone.

Farang knows nothing.

will you ever run out of thais to bash?

Ayjayee I found you. I look for you every day. You really crack me up. I wonder where you find all your rude and ignorant remarks. You really make me laugh. I laugh at you not with you.

• Like 2

My MIL has not a bad bone in her body. Really nice all the time. Just as well because Dad is a right crusty old chap. Still, likable though. They get on well with each other.

As one would expect my wife shares the traits of both of them. I have to work to get the MIL's side to come out. Just as well really. Otherwise I would probably take advantage and be a slob.

My outlaws are great. They are always cooking and cleaning and helping out with the kids.

Por is always fixing things around the house. He is as tight as a fishes <deleted> and is always trying to save us money. This can be a bit annoying at times but generally it is appreciated.