Flaunting Your Wealth is it Wise?

flyingsaucersarereal

What is real wealth?

What is flaunt wealth?

Recently I was at a Hugo Boss store.

There was a farang who had bought a few socks or small things like that.

He was paying cash for his socks.

I could not avoid seeing him take a bundle of cash (a small one) out of his pocket, making sure that everyone saw it, and counting the money noisily like a bank teller.

To me this was a cheap guy trying to show he had a bit of money, but others may have said that he was flaunting his wealth...

Wealth or flaunting it is a question of perspective...

Posts like this are entirely missing the point of this thread. Go back and read the OT. Flaunting one's wealth, in the context of this thread, is about the wisdom of dangling bait in front of potential Thai street thieves, e.g., pickpockets & motorbike snatchers. To do or not to do. That's the question. It's not about mysterious metaphysical psycho-social theories examining the meaning of life and one's divine right to pursue happiness...

'Not out to suppress anyone's opinions, but it's all off-topic. The only "perspectives" that would seem relevant are those of the thieves. It's ABOUT whether or not you think it constitutes enough of a temptation to thieves in Thailand, and enough of a risk, to not do it. Maybe "flaunting" was the wrong word to use as it's kind of a loaded term; maybe "Displaying Your Wealth is it Wise?" would've been better.

It's NOT hard to find reports of gold necklaces being snatched right off the (foreign) wearer's neck in different places in Thailand, for example. Other theft as well. It does make you wonder why, if you know that can happen, you would take the chance. It doesn't seem "wise" to me, but is there some deep hidden wisdom to it? Does it impress restaurant waiters or taxi drivers or hotel receptionists or traffic cops or something?

Perhaps it is you who's missing the point. The OP really isn't concerned about safety or theft. It's more about his own insecurities, i.e., jealousy and envy. True flaunting is when someone you speak to brags about his wealth or how important he is. Just seeing someone wearing a bit of jewelry is not flaunting. If someone wants to wear something that makes them feel good about themselves, who are you to judge? And if I was a thief, I'd be much more tempted to grab some tourist's purse rather than some Thais' jewelry. So if I was going to advise anyone, I'd say don't carry around 50,000 bt in cash. As for jewelry, who can even tell what's real and what's not?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a nice antique, Full Hunter pocket watch because I don't like wearing wrist watches. I'm probably seen as rather eccentric for having an old watch on a chain in my scruffy shirt pocket. That watch cost me $30,000 to buy about 10 years ago.....

And no, I'm not telling you where I live :)

I have a nice antique, Full Hunter pocket watch because I don't like wearing wrist watches. I'm probably seen as rather eccentric for having an old watch on a chain in my scruffy shirt pocket. That watch cost me $30,000 to buy about 10 years ago.....

And no, I'm not telling you where I live :)

It's a bit like my most valuable watch.

It is an old Rolex that belonged to my grandfather. Not only it has a lot of sentimental value, but it is also a very rare 100% gold watch and bracelet. I love to wear it sometimes with a suit, but otherwise I never wear it... People may think that I flaunt my wealth... while in fact I just want to pay respect to my grandfather :)

What is real wealth?

What is flaunt wealth?

Recently I was at a Hugo Boss store.

There was a farang who had bought a few socks or small things like that.

He was paying cash for his socks.

I could not avoid seeing him take a bundle of cash (a small one) out of his pocket, making sure that everyone saw it, and counting the money noisily like a bank teller.

To me this was a cheap guy trying to show he had a bit of money, but others may have said that he was flaunting his wealth...

Wealth or flaunting it is a question of perspective...

Posts like this are entirely missing the point of this thread. Go back and read the OT. Flaunting one's wealth, in the context of this thread, is about the wisdom of dangling bait in front of potential Thai street thieves, e.g., pickpockets & motorbike snatchers. To do or not to do. That's the question. It's not about mysterious metaphysical psycho-social theories examining the meaning of life and one's divine right to pursue happiness...

'Not out to suppress anyone's opinions, but it's all off-topic. The only "perspectives" that would seem relevant are those of the thieves. It's ABOUT whether or not you think it constitutes enough of a temptation to thieves in Thailand, and enough of a risk, to not do it. Maybe "flaunting" was the wrong word to use as it's kind of a loaded term; maybe "Displaying Your Wealth is it Wise?" would've been better.

It's NOT hard to find reports of gold necklaces being snatched right off the (foreign) wearer's neck in different places in Thailand, for example. Other theft as well. It does make you wonder why, if you know that can happen, you would take the chance. It doesn't seem "wise" to me, but is there some deep hidden wisdom to it? Does it impress restaurant waiters or taxi drivers or hotel receptionists or traffic cops or something?

Perhaps it is you who's missing the point. The OP really isn't concerned about safety or theft. It's more about his own insecurities, i.e., jealousy and envy. True flaunting is when someone you speak to brags about his wealth or how important he is. Just seeing someone wearing a bit of jewelry is not flaunting. If someone wants to wear something that makes them feel good about themselves, who are you to judge? And if I was a thief, I'd be much more tempted to grab some tourist's purse rather than some Thais' jewelry. So if I was going to advise anyone, I'd say don't carry around 50,000 bt in cash. As for jewelry, who can even tell what's real and what's not?

"The OP really isn't concerned about safety or theft."

Are we reading the same #1? How in the world do you extract this from a post that talks only about the risks of displaying one's wealth, and the consequences others have suffered? SOMEONE's insecurities may be at issue here, but I don't think it's the OP's...

And no, I'm not telling you where I live smile.png

It's a bit like my most valuable watch.

It is an old Rolex that belonged to my grandfather. Not only it has a lot of sentimental value, but it is also a very rare 100% gold watch and bracelet. I love to wear it sometimes with a suit, but otherwise I never wear it... People may think that I flaunt my wealth... while in fact I just want to pay respect to my grandfather smile.png

Exactly. People have their own reasons. Not sure why others feel a need to judge.

Are we reading the same #1? How in the world do you extract this from a post that talks only about the risks of displaying one's wealth, and the consequences others have suffered? SOMEONE's insecurities may be at issue here, but I don't think it's the OP's...

Clearly you didn't bother to read my post. But are you suggesting that I'm insecure? Please explain. At least have the courage to answer that.

I think people have different definitions of what flaunting your wealth is. For me wearing overly expensive jewelry, watches and clothing is a way to flaunt your money because those items serve no other functional purpose other than showing wealth. That being said, there is nothing wrong with dressing nice and appropriate for an occasion. Sitting at a bar is not an occasion to wear a Rolex.

Many people may buy expensive cars to show their wealth, but for me I would buy them because I love to drive nice cars. And with expensive automobiles, they are much more comfortable and safer to drive so they actually serve a purpose.

What is wrong wearing a rolex? I collect watches and wear them everydsy as I like them. Most people have no idea though if its real or fake.

As for cars, i love them but given the roads here pointless getting a real psrformance sports car

464bhp , there are some good roads / tracks here .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

post-28071-14145014130617_thumb.jpg

I think people have different definitions of what flaunting your wealth is. For me wearing overly expensive jewelry, watches and clothing is a way to flaunt your money because those items serve no other functional purpose other than showing wealth. That being said, there is nothing wrong with dressing nice and appropriate for an occasion. Sitting at a bar is not an occasion to wear a Rolex.

Many people may buy expensive cars to show their wealth, but for me I would buy them because I love to drive nice cars. And with expensive automobiles, they are much more comfortable and safer to drive so they actually serve a purpose.

What is wrong wearing a rolex? I collect watches and wear them everydsy as I like them. Most people have no idea though if its real or fake.

As for cars, i love them but given the roads here pointless getting a real psrformance sports car

nice car, maybe if I was really rich i would get a Ferrari F430 and make it look like a mitsubishi gto so as not flaunt my wealth wink.png

Edited by jay1980

Clearly you didn't bother to read my post. But are you suggesting that I'm insecure? Please explain. At least have the courage to answer that.

'Glad to explain; not that any courage to answer you is needed.

"If someone wants to wear something that makes them feel good about themselves, who are you to judge?"

You CLEARLY want to go on whining about being "judged" (for feeling "good about [oneself]), when the ISSUE, as stated by the OP, is about being robbed!

"Judged". "Robbed". "Judged". "Robbed". One more time; "Judged"; "Robbed". You know: caring about what someone else thinks [about you] vs what someone else does [TO you]! See the difference? It's a safety thing; not a self-image thing. Get it now?

"If someone wants to wear something that makes them feel good about themselves, who are you to judge?"

You CLEARLY want to go on whining about being "judged" (for feeling "good about [oneself]), when the ISSUE, as stated by the OP, is about being robbed!

"Judged". "Robbed". "Judged". "Robbed". One more time; "Judged"; "Robbed". You know: caring about what someone else thinks [about you] vs what someone else does [TO you]! See the difference? It's a safety thing; not a self-image thing. Get it now?

Again, you didn't read my previous post and didn't answer my question. But that's ok because this conversation is becoming tedious. For the record, I've suggested that a tourist with a purse is a more likely target than a Thai wearing jewelry. Therefore, should women not carry purses? Should people never ever display anything of value in public? Are people allowed to wear fake jewelry? You can be a parrot and keep repeating this bogus "fear of being robbed" premise, but it takes a little more intelligence to understand what's really meant, as opposed to what's being said.

Again, you didn't read my previous post and didn't answer my question. But that's ok because this conversation is becoming tedious. For the record, I've suggested that a tourist with a purse is a more likely target than a Thai wearing jewelry. Therefore, should women not carry purses? Should people never ever display anything of value in public? Are people allowed to wear fake jewelry? You can be a parrot and keep repeating this bogus "fear of being robbed" premise, but it takes a little more intelligence to understand what's really meant, as opposed to what's being said.

Ah, I see. So you claim a supernatural ability to read the mind of the OP, rather than what he actually writes. thumbsup.gif OK. Got it. Well, I don't, and I quoted for you what YOU had written (as opposed to some imagined knowledge of what you meant to say - lol) proving I obviously DID read your post and was responding directly to it. You should probably consider foregoing the mind meld thing when posting, but of course your choice.

nice car, maybe if I was really rich i would get a Ferrari F430 and make it look like a mitsubishi gto so as not flaunt my wealth wink.png

Hi jay ,

GTO was a car I always wanted , the one shown is now for sale as my wealth has depleted , lol , its on one 2 car if you care .. for the outragous figure of 680k :-).

Ps. Its actually quicker than that other car you mentioned whatever one of them is :-)