Phone And Hi-speed Problem

dave111223

I just bought a condo in the Ratchada area (BKK). The condo is about 2 km from the Ladprao MRT station.

But yet my wife called True to get a phone and hi-speed hooked up and they said "No numbers available, we'll put you on the waiting list".... So according to them its not possible for me to get a phone or internet until someone else in the area cancels theirs?

And they could not give us any time estimate, could be a month, could be a year type of thing.

So then we called TOT and they just said "Too far from the box" whatever this means...?

So i'm at a loose of what to do in order to get internet hooked up there? As i required internet for my work, are there any other options apart from TOT or True. Or other internet options which do not require a phone line?

The whole thing just blows my mind as its in the middle of tons of condo and appartment buildings, and they are telling me that no one else in the area can get a phone number??

Edited by dave111223

Sorry to read your story.

You would think that you are in the middle of the ****** jungle, not Ladprao...... no phone lines, sorry. TIT.

When renting, I always pick up the phone to see if it's connected and check the signal strength of my mobile phone when inspecting a house or, god forbid, a condo.

Good luck! :o

You would think that you are in the middle of the ****** jungle, not Ladprao...... no phone lines, sorry. TIT.

What absolutely kills me about stories such as this is that the phone company (TOT, TT&T, whoever) then has the gall to give the public the poor-mouth about how their business is hurting and that the big, bad, mobile phone companies are killing them. Gee between the interminable waits for a landline and the rates they charge for long distance calls, I can't imagine why that would be... :o

Well, TOT controls who puts what in the ground in Bangkok. So if the cable is full...they aint about to give any rights to their competition to add more wires / cables.

Understood that the TOT isn't about to go out of their way to help the competition. My point is that the TOT won't add the extra capacity themselves. They would rather whine about how they continue to lose business to the mobile phone operators.

your options are.

GPRS/EDGE via AIS , DTAC or TRUE/ORANGE

CDMA via HUTCH

or maybe even WiFi via TRUE it seems to be available around central bangkok in areas - I recieved a TRUE priveledge card with my ADSL package and it says free wifi till 2007 , though I have not worked out what my password is. I have come across TRUE Wifi spots so there might be one close enough for you to connect.

So we called TOT again today, and this time they said "Sure we have plenty of lines available, just fax us a map of where your condo is and we'll hook up the phone and hi-speed"

I guess we just happened to catch some lazzy b*tch last time we called. Hopefully we will be all set now.

We also went into True (instead of calling), but they still said you have to wait until there is a cancellation.

I also looked in the IPStar satellite broadband by CSLoxinfo, but this is 2,500 baht per month just for the 256kb connection....so this will be a last resort.

I also looked in the IPStar satellite broadband by CSLoxinfo, but this is 2,500 baht per month just for the 256kb connection....so this will be a last resort.

After waiting for a telephone number for about a year I ended up going the Ipstar route, we had bookings in with all the local providers for a t/phone line and we actually ended getting one about 2.5 years after first applying. We went into the office every month, and every month we were told "maybe next month".

We ended up building a house further away from the exchange and got two phone lines installed before our old house gained it single line.

Ipstar is a very expensive way to do it, but it saved my butt for a while. I now sit on a 1k baht per month 1meg service from TOT that is working fine.

Best of luck to you mate.