Koh Tao murders: Petition seeking new probe to be handed to PM David Cameron

webfact

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

according to normal Brit standards of apathy, that shows a genuine concern if so many people can be bothered to express an opinion.
It is not on a British site.
"TENS of thousands of people from around the world have signed a petition calling for the UK Government to order its own investigation into the recent murder of a Jerseyman and another British backpacker in Thailand." Jersey Evening Post

Does that make it better? I doubt if it is 80000 whingeing TV members alone. If many Thais are disgusted enough with the Royal Thai Police farce that they express their opinion even in the normally cowed Thai press, if people around the world see the Royal Thai Police farce as a national / international disgrace?

Yes of course the Thai government will dismiss the opinion of foreigners as they always do. But they may not be able to control the negative effect on tourism revenues.... It will get worse before it gets better.

You missed the point. A change.org petition has 0 bearing on anything.

No you miss the point.

A petition with 100,000 signatures or more must by UK law be tabled in the house of commons.

Should this 100k number be reached, and that looks likely, then it must be debated by the UK Govt that will add extra emphasis, impotence and interest to the case and likely bring even more demands for something to be done.

A call for a tourism blacklist perhaps ? Others have said there are strong warnings on the tourism sites.

A completely useless gesture. One country cannot just walk into another country and start investigating a murder.

It seems Thailand is set on moving forward no matter the circumstances. The best thing anyone can do is get their hands into the trial where they, hopefully, they can persuade the court to consider the flaws in the case.

No need for the UK police to set foot on Thai soil to prove or disprove the involvement of the two Burmese.

Hannah's body is in the UK and (I assume) has undergone a thorough forensic examination. This will have provided DNA samples from the semen of her rapist(s).

The two accused Burmese men have families back in Burma who are protesting their innocence. DNA from the parents will establish whether or not there is a familial match with Hannah's rapist(s).

I'd like to hope so but the RTP have been notorious in the past for sending back bodies where the DNA evidence has been tainted, washed away. After the Thai postmortem, the poor victims where probably embalmed.

So what does this all mean, Pryuat has already told the UK to stay out of it, can only observe, lets all see what develops from all this, time to maybe blacklist Thailand as a tourist destination, until all this crap is settled out, once and for all.

according to normal Brit standards of apathy, that shows a genuine concern if so many people can be bothered to express an opinion.
It is not on a British site.
"TENS of thousands of people from around the world have signed a petition calling for the UK Government to order its own investigation into the recent murder of a Jerseyman and another British backpacker in Thailand." Jersey Evening Post

Does that make it better? I doubt if it is 80000 whingeing TV members alone. If many Thais are disgusted enough with the Royal Thai Police farce that they express their opinion even in the normally cowed Thai press, if people around the world see the Royal Thai Police farce as a national / international disgrace?

Yes of course the Thai government will dismiss the opinion of foreigners as they always do. But they may not be able to control the negative effect on tourism revenues.... It will get worse before it gets better.

You missed the point. A change.org petition has 0 bearing on anything.

No you miss the point.

A petition with 100,000 signatures or more must by UK law be tabled in the house of commons.

Should this 100k number be reached, and that looks likely, then it must be debated by the UK Govt that will add extra emphasis, impotence and interest to the case and likely bring even more demands for something to be done.

A call for a tourism blacklist perhaps ? Others have said there are strong warnings on the tourism sites.

Incorrect.

The petition must be official. Have only residents. Cits

<<snip of messed up quotes>>

Got it. In the US a black man is 21 times more likely to be killed by the police than a white man. Scapegoating is common. The points I replied to are accurate.

Saying the murder rate is overblown is different from it actually being overblown.

The National Guard.... Used to quell civil unrest.

Thailand 'S online conspiracy theorists have yet to come forward out of anonymity. Does the guy behind csila have an axe to grind?

I am looking forward to seeing the evidence used and the court case instead of relying on rumor.

Whatever you've got try not to spread it around so much because it's immaterial - fortunately a good number here are immune anyway.

I entered a "Like" to a couple of your posts to the thread but certainly not to the post above which I'd say could be called overblown.

Each state has a National Guard militia commanded by a two-star general that is under the direct command of the governor. The governor of Missouri briefly used the National Guard in Ferguson then removed it almost a quickly as it appeared. It hasn't ever been a factor in the Ferguson situation or circumstance. The Pentagon has not been involved in the Ferguson civil disorder/disturbance.

If the two Burmese guys get dragged in to a Thai court, the verdict will already have been made outside of the court and the people and proceedings inside the court will have no bearing or determination on the verdict whatsoever.

The reality is that the verdict will look like this: 18530990.jpg

When it in fact should look like this: 63351418.jpg

Yes, a horrific double murder and the guilty need to be brought swiftly to Justice.

But hold on a minute about Petitions to the British PM and demands for a British investigation. Just who do these people think they are?

We have some very fine Police in Thailand who are more than capable of handling this.

Thailand is a Sovereign State, so just back-off with your "Colonial Mentality" and leave it to the Royal Thai Police, instead of trying to run rough-shod over our investigative team. Time to simply accept the fact that "Britain no longer rules the waves"...or anything else these days and certainly never has, nor will it ever, rule Thailand.

Yeh we saved you against the French and let you EXIST after WW2. so &lt;deleted&gt;!

Just imagine that if the British have DNA from ALL the relevant parties, and I believe they do, wait until after the "Trial" verdict.

The two Burmese are convicted....24 hours later the British reveal their findings! WAM BAM!!

I suspect that the bodies were thoroughly washed and cleaned out after the Thai's had taken their samples to deter any analysis back in the UK.

Over 80,000 signatures last time I looked.

And not 1 that matters. David Cameron has no authority to conduct any investigation in Thailand.

It says somewhere (read today but cant remember which page) that by English law, would that petition reach 100K, the English PM has obligation to action on it...

Whichever action that is..

And not 1 that matters. David Cameron has no authority to conduct any investigation in Thailand.

It says somewhere (read today but cant remember which page) that by English law, would that petition reach 100K, the English PM has obligation to action on it...

send a few assets to find and interrogate nom sod/family! Wouldn't take long, these pricks are weaker than Hugh Hefner's bladder

Just imagine that if the British have DNA from ALL the relevant parties, and I believe they do, wait until after the "Trial" verdict.

The two Burmese are convicted....24 hours later the British reveal their findings! WAM BAM!!

I suspect that the bodies were thoroughly washed and cleaned out after the Thai's had taken their samples to deter any analysis back in the UK.

Impossible, any signs of this would be noted. Plus the UK's DNA team's are far far more advanced and have tech/methods well beyond simpleton Somchai and his band of numbskulls

Mine matters to me.DC doesn't have to conduct any investigation - just provide assistance to Myanmar.

That won't happen either.

Your comment is speculative. Provide proof.

ONLY if it were 100k UK cits / legal residents. The change.org petition is mostly Thai.

A petition to have an independent investigation, however, will be ignored as it violates intnl law

Edited by jdinasia

Mine matters to me.DC doesn't have to conduct any investigation - just provide assistance to Myanmar.

See International law. :)

See International law. smile.png

also a confession from torture is against international law1

ONLY if it were 100k UK cits / legal residents. The change.org petition is mostly Thai.

A petition to have an independent investigation, however, will be ignored as it violates intnl law

Actually it doesn't really matter. That the petition is presented to DC in the full glare of the media could be enough for at least one MP to raise the matter at PM's question time in the House. And that could get reported in the British press. It's called, raising awareness.

Please note I said 'could' not would.

What are e-petitions?

e-petitions are an easy, personal way for you to influence government and Parliament in the UK. You can create an e-petition about anything that the government is responsible for and if it gets at least 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for debate in the House of Commons.

You must be a British citizen or a UK resident to create or sign an e-petition.

You can’t use this service to petition the:

• UK government about an individual legal case

https://www.gov.uk/petition-government#before-you-start

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

False. If the Myanmar government seek help from the UK, it would comply with IL.

Is it? Probably. However, being accused of it is not proof it happened. It isn't what you know (or think you do) it is what can be proven.

I think they have the killers. I don't think that they will be convicted.

False. If the Myanmar government seek help from the UK, it would comply with IL.

No. Not inside Thailand. Violates sovereign state status.

Is it? Probably. However, being accused of it is not proof it happened. It isn't what you know (or think you do) it is what can be proven.

I think they have the killers. I don't think that they will be convicted.

I don't think they have the killers. I think they will be convicted. Why? I'll leave it up to you to come to a rational decision that any man in the street would consider as reasonable.

It won't happen IN Thailand, except in the Myanmar embassy, which naturally is ring-fenced.

It won't happen IN Thailand, except in the Myanmar embassy, which naturally is ring-fenced.

Making it inadmissible. Amazing how people think that one country can interfere domestically in the affairs of another!

Making it inadmissible. Amazing how people think that one country can interfere domestically in the affairs of another!

Sometimes I wonder if you have any understanding how things work. It's called diplomacy. The UK representative could hold a 1-1 meeting with his opposite number, and could show whatever information has been garnered from both countries - and leave it at that. The message would be quite clear. 'Do something about this.'