PM Prayut loses his cool

webfact

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ageneral is a good and respectful man.

The reporter failed to show respect for the man and the position of PM.

The job comes with difficulties and handling rude, unhappy people is part of it. What is rather worrisome are statements like this "You have to reform the media for me."

Edited by yellowboat
  • Like 2

When does ANY politician, anywhere in the world ,answer any

questions truthfully and in a forthright way,i just hope the PM

does not have a session with some of the investigative journalists,

in the UK,he would go into meltdown.!

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Obama loses cool?

Or

President Obama lets a reporter know who is the Boss?

Nice try, but you're trying to compare apples n oranges. As much as I'm not into the bloke, Obama was being heckled. The General, on the other hand, was being asked a simple question, calmly, and he didn't like it simply because he was being questioned. It is not the Thai way to question a senior, period, and he was just being typical. Please tell me you are new to Thailand?

You said it yourself here Dave, the reporter was behaving outside of cultural norms and by doing so was disrespectful to the Commander in chief.

Those cultural norms are different than in the US but the result is the same--it is considered a provocation and the Boss rightfully reminds the reporter he is the boss.

Yes, I am new to Thailand, three years now. Fact is I miss the US and I miss the culture in the US.

There are things in Thailand I do not care for...but rather than whine incessantly about them like so many negative posters here, I am choosing to spend far more time back home in my little part of the world.

Now howabout you Dave. Are you are an expert on Thainess? Do you think Thailand was governed better prior to the Junta?

Serious question--I would like to know the opinion of someone who has long experience here. What made Thailand better pre-Junta?

Cheers

• Like 1

Maybe the most popular PM in the last decade needs to take advice from yingluck on how to deal with reporters.

By ignoring them or replying with the usual "No comment" or "I was not aware of this" or "I cannot comment at this time"

Unfortunately the most popular PM in the last decade is not a puppet so is unable to get away with this.

Nobody is above questioning or criticism, it goes with the territory. Although it can be abused, media has an important role in moderating power.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 1 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree with you. I strongly support the Press.

In the US, we actually provide Constitutional Protections to guarantee the Freedom of the Press in the First Amendment.

Personally, I just think its strange that people would take the offense that so many on here are taking against the PM General because he raised his voice. And since I did not see a video clip of him doing so I have only the reporters word that it occurred. It would take someone more aware of Thai nuance than me to find criticism in the General's words. They appear far more courteous than the clips I posted above of my own Presidents losing their cool.

For the record, I am proud of both Obama and Bush for responding the way they did and I am proud of the General apparently doing the same. They are the Authority.

Or like we say where I come from: You mess with the Bull and you are going to get the horns.

Edited by ClutchClark

President Truman once observed "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". How about a few lessons for general regarding role of free press in democracy? I know would have to start from ground zero, as no experience with either in LOS. Job of press is to be adversarial, not trained parrots as usual in LOS. BTW who does this reporter work for (or worked for...?).

"You [the premier] don't answer our questions straight, to the point, and don't address issues we ask about." Perhaps he should watch some episodes of Hard Talk on BBC, see what it is to be really grilled and not allowed to get away with meaningless evasive responses.

Maybe the most popular PM in the last decade needs to take advice from yingluck on how to deal with reporters.

By ignoring them or replying with the usual "No comment" or "I was not aware of this" or "I cannot comment at this time"

Unfortunately the most popular PM in the last decade is not a puppet so is unable to get away with this.

w00t.gif Righto..cheesy.gif

Oak, I am going to have to put you on ignore.

Its nothing personal, its just that your responses are so childish that its embarassing to consider you a peer.

Hopefully you are actually capable of coherent discussion rather than the single word with attached emoticons you have used thus far on here.

Nothing personal--have a good one.

He seems to forget he is not a general anymore. Let someone else runs the country if he can't handle a little pressure from the press.

Its unfortunate that you can't comprehend there is privilege that comes with the position of being a leader of a country.

That is one of respect.

Do you think the US President would even allow a reporter like this in? No, part of being granted a Press Pass is to be respectful.

The PM raised his voice. That is how you remind a subordinate that they are stepping out of line.

Obviously you have always been an underling to not grasp even that simple truth.

Although I agree that there should be a level of respect I also think everyone should remember that the PM has a boss, the general public. He basically is a servant of the people, he is assigned to run the country on behalf of the people and as such he needs to be fully accountable for everything that happens.

• Like 1

It appears in history that it is often easier to take power than to govern. I had to agree that seizing power prevented an imminent outbreak of increased violence in Thailand, especially in Bangkok. I also confess to being an optimist or wishful thinker when it came to announcements of broad reforms being instituted.

But now the rubber is hitting the road and some time has passed. The junta is finding that those who bid their time are now seeing where this affects them and are starting to show resistance in defense of their interests. Several interest fronts will now begin their opposition, the General will be forced to spend increased amounts of time facing this political/social opposition and have increased opposition to instituting reforms. In the end? Let us start the betting....overthrow of the junta? Restoration of a controlled "democracy" under an elite controlled constitution? A new constitution with increased democracy, reflecting a need to help the poor? What are your other scenarios for the future of Thailand?

• Like 1

He seems to forget he is not a general anymore. Let someone else runs the country if he can't handle a little pressure from the press.

Its unfortunate that you can't comprehend there is privilege that comes with the position of being a leader of a country.

That is one of respect.

Do you think the US President would even allow a reporter like this in? No, part of being granted a Press Pass is to be respectful.

The PM raised his voice. That is how you remind a subordinate that they are stepping out of line.

Obviously you have always been an underling to not grasp even that simple truth.

Although I agree that there should be a level of respect I also think everyone should remember that the PM has a boss, the general public. He basically is a servant of the people, he is assigned to run the country on behalf of the people and as such he needs to be fully accountable for everything that happens.

I have a question because your last sentence sounds quite loaded.

What country are you from? Is your leader fully accountable for EVERYTHING that happens?

"Everything" seems a bit too broad a stroke of the brush to me. Can you provide some examples?

Cheers

Obama loses cool?

Or

Nice try, but you're trying to compare apples n oranges. As much as I'm not into the bloke, Obama was being heckled. The General, on the other hand, was being asked a simple question, calmly, and he didn't like it simply because he was being questioned. It is not the Thai way to question a senior, period, and he was just being typical. Please tell me you are new to Thailand?

You said it yourself here Dave, the reporter was behaving outside of cultural norms and by doing so was disrespectful to the Commander in chief.

Those cultural norms are different than in the US but the result is the same--it is considered a provocation and the Boss rightfully reminds the reporter he is the boss.

Yes, I am new to Thailand, three years now. Fact is I miss the US and I miss the culture in the US.

There are things in Thailand I do not care for...but rather than whine incessantly about them like so many negative posters here, I am choosing to spend far more time back home in my little part of the world.

Now howabout you Dave. Are you are an expert on Thainess? Do you think Thailand was governed better prior to the Junta?

Serious question--I would like to know the opinion of someone who has long experience here. What made Thailand better pre-Junta?

Cheers

Exactly what LAW did the reporter break?

Weren't they just doing their job?

Whats going to happen when the world's media starts asking the PM questions - do they have to treat him like some untouchable god?

Good on the reporter for actually trying to keep Thailand informed. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

I agree the Pm should take advice on how to be respectful , I also agree he's the most populist Pm in the last decade.

• Like 1

Obama loses cool?
Or

Cheers

Exactly what LAW did the reporter break?

Weren't they just doing their job?

Whats going to happen when the world's media starts asking the PM questions - do they have to treat him like some untouchable god?

Good on the reporter for actually trying to keep Thailand informed. thumbsup.gif

Thank you for pointing out to other posters that at no time did I suggest the reporter broke any Laws.
I would not want any future readers to have the mis-impression I ever suggested anything of the sort.

Cheers

I have been wondering how long one man could withstand the pressures 24/7 of trying to dictate the rules and policies of a complex country by himself...tough job...maybe it is time that he delegate some of his authority to trusted peers...

The ageneral is a good and respectful man.

The reporter failed to show respect for the man and the position of PM.

While I agree that Prayuth is a good person, the position of PM doesn't need any respect.....If he doesn't answer questions straight he should be asked again and again until he does.

• Like 2