ED Vientiane Photograph

I have looked on the rofficial website and it states 35mm x 45mm for the images, I go to my school today and they have said that they need to be 30mm x 40mm and you need to wear a suit and tie or at least a suit jacket. Can anybody who has recently been confirm or disprove this?

Well I went to the school today and yes I saw on the website 35x45 so that is what I have with a white background and a black t shirt. However at school they had an example of what is required, said a white background, 30x40 and a suit jacket at least. Maybe they have had people who have gone very recently and this is the new regulations? I forgot to ask that as I was in a hurry and too busy joking in Thai, durp

I am sure that if there was new ridiculous requirement for photos at Vientiane that required a suit and tie it would of been reported on this forum. I have seen no such report.

Perhaps you should print out the PDF file I posted a link to and show them. No suit and tie is shown in the photo examples.

Only for work permit applications have I ever heard of suit and tie being needed.

I got mine about 6-8 weeks ago. The photo size my school gave me was also 30x40. Maybe the site needs to be updated, or maybe wither size is fine. As for the suit and Thai thing, I have heard several times that photos having to do with the MOE require the individual to be wearing a Thai. I have no clue if this is true or not. My photos have me wearing a Thai, but no suit. However, I doubt this is even necessary.

I am sure that if there was new ridiculous requirement for photos at Vientiane that required a suit and tie it would of been reported on this forum. I have seen no such report.

Perhaps you should print out the PDF file I posted a link to and show them. No suit and tie is shown in the photo examples.

Only for work permit applications have I ever heard of suit and tie being needed.

Ok thanks, I will do that tomorrow and wait to see if anybody has returned from Vientiane very recently and reply here.

I did my trip to Lao for a Non O a couple of weeks ago and all the visa run companies checked the photos of the passengers and if you had like a t-shirt or other laid back style clothes you had to take new photos. they had of course 2 photo stations set up there in Nong Kai at 7/11 were we all was waiting for the border to open.Not sure just scam to get more money out of us but would not be surprised. They said rules from the Embassy,

Edited by INV

I did my trip to Lao for a Non O a couple of weeks ago and all the visa run companies checked the photos of the passengers and if you had like a t-shirt or other laid back style clothes you had to take new photos. they had of course 2 photo stations set up there in Nong Kai at 7/11 were we all was waiting for the border to open.Not sure just scam to get more money out of us but would not be surprised. They said rules from the Embassy,

they had of course 2 photo stations set up there in Nong Kai at 7/11.........

Did they sell Ties ? what about shirts ?

​OK not been out of Thailand for a couple of years but used to go often [1x year + every 90 days for some years], can never remember anyone wearing a Tie, maybe the odd person had a shirt with collar.

they had of course 2 photo stations set up there in Nong Kai at 7/11.........

Did they sell Ties ? what about shirts ?

​OK not been out of Thailand for a couple of years but used to go often [1x year + every 90 days for some years], can never remember anyone wearing a Tie, maybe the odd person had a shirt with collar.

They had 2 different set to borrow incl in the price and that was 100b. They had a kind of jacket and then a white shirt if I remember correct.Not pay attention to much what it looked like, 3.30 in morning and just happy we survived the crazy totally brain dead driving style they had. 5 mini vans driving convoj, 120 kmh avrage and 2 meters between the cars.Morons.

Edited by INV

See here is my problem, my school suggested I go with an agency that does some kind of run from Bangkok, I said I was flying there myself. On the Vientiane website it doesn't say anything about shirts or whatever, and having them outside a 7/11... sounds pretty suspicious to me. did you not see anybody do their visa with average photographs out of your tour group?

See here is my problem, my school suggested I go with an agency that does some kind of run from Bangkok, I said I was flying there myself. On the Vientiane website it doesn't say anything about shirts or whatever, and having them outside a 7/11... sounds pretty suspicious to me. did you not see anybody do their visa with average photographs out of your tour group?

There is photo shop near by and people is routinely sent there if they have no pics or if the ones they have don't satisfy the consulate.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can have the correct size photo taken outside the consulate and any other paperwork can be done by the agents there.

Even easier you can have the correct size photo taken on the 2nd floor directly above where you hand your application in. They can do your paperwork (not sure why you need someone to fill out your name etc.) there also. Time to request, have them take the photo and hand it back to me was about 2-3 minutes. Seems like they expect a person to be wearing a shirt with collar in the pictures as if you don't have them they will give you one to wear. At least that is what they did for one of the girls there.

Information correct as of this week.

Edited by RichardThailand
  • Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

You can have the correct size photo taken outside the consulate and any other paperwork can be done by the agents there.

Even easier you can have the correct size photo taken on the 2nd floor directly above where you hand your application in. They can do your paperwork (not sure why you need someone to fill out your name etc.) there also. Time to request, have them take the photo and hand it back to me was about 2-3 minutes. Seems like they expect a person to be wearing a shirt with collar in the pictures as if you don't have them they will give you one to wear. At least that is what they did for one of the girls there.

Information correct as of this week.

Thanks a lot, I am heading out tonight to Bangkok and flying right in. I have my form filled out already and have left Lao guarantor blank as people have suggested.

When you head up to the second floor for the photo, do you wait until you get all the way to processing your application and then get it done, or do you get that all sorted then get back in line?

In half a decade here I have never had to wear a collar shirt so I don't own one, I could go and buy one I guess but I do not fare well in heat and they are not the best of items of clothing waiting in line during a hot day.

I am pretty sure something is going to go wrong and I will make a report when I return, if I do that is. I have been learning Thai for over 3 years now, a notch or 2 down from fluency when speaking but I have been cramming my reading and writing lately in case I get asked on the way back.

Edited by monk213

The second floor picture taking is I guess done by a firm not really connected to the embassy much like the small coffee stand that sits there within the grounds. You need to fill out your form (and get a photo) first, then get a number then WAIT. I waited 2 1/2 hours and it's all outside and pretty hot there. When I got there at 10am they were processing number 200. I got a number 480. They called numbers in order up until around 1:30pm when the calling person gave up and maybe went to lunch. At that time people just went up out of order with those who just arrived getting served at the same time as those who arrived hours earlier.

The second floor picture taking is I guess done by a firm not really connected to the embassy much like the small coffee stand that sits there within the grounds. You need to fill out your form (and get a photo) first, then get a number then WAIT. I waited 2 1/2 hours and it's all outside and pretty hot there. When I got there at 10am they were processing number 200. I got a number 480. They called numbers in order up until around 1:30pm when the calling person gave up and maybe went to lunch. At that time people just went up out of order with those who just arrived getting served at the same time as those who arrived hours earlier.

My plan has always been to wake at around 5am and get a taxi there, even though I have booked a hotel within around 1KM from the place. I know still the same amount of time waiting, but at least it won't be around midday.. Umbrella packed! Technically though, I could get the pics taken and form filled out and then just do the process the next day?

There are no taxis. Transport there is Tuk Tuk's which you will see everywhere. I don't know which hotel you have but from the center (it's a very small town) to the place for Thai visas will cost you 40,000 kip if you are lucky or 50,000 kip if you are like the rest of us. The journey from the center of town will take 5-10 minutes. Apply for visa one day and collect the next. Expect a 2-3 hour wait the first day and if you come to pick up your passport and visa the next day at 2pm it might take more like 60 seconds to pick up. Tuk Tuk prices are crazy there and seems no driver wants to negotiate.