the New Mac Mini

rice555

The Mac Mini update is certainly a decent upgrade over the pervious spec, but it's not a new Mac Mini as such.

There is no 5K monitor available anywhere in the world except built in to the new iMac, part of apple's presentation included stating that the whole new iMac is cheaper then existing 4k displays.

To be honest, the apple current 27" external displays look fantastic and you can run two of them on a Mac Mini, I'd like to see the new Retina screen released as a stand alone monitor, but very few machines would be able to make proper use of the high resolution without everything appearing too tiny to use.

The Mac Mini update is certainly a decent upgrade over the pervious spec, but it's not a new Mac Mini as such.

There is no 5K monitor available anywhere in the world except built in to the new iMac, part of apple's presentation included stating that the whole new iMac is cheaper then existing 4k displays.

To be honest, the apple current 27" external displays look fantastic and you can run two of them on a Mac Mini, I'd like to see the new Retina screen released as a stand alone monitor, but very few machines would be able to make proper use of the high resolution without everything appearing too tiny to use.

Dell are selling a 5K display (only) - same price as the new iMac5K though..

Retina displays are not about making anything smaller on screen, it's about making it sharper. I have been using MBPr's since they were first released - now when I view 'normal' screens they are very noticeably blocky/pixelated, and just generally not nice to look at.

OS X has been able to drive the extra DPI in retina displays just fine since the Lion release - the question is, is thunderbolt 2 actually fast enough to drive a 5K display?

Edited by IMHO

After a quick look at the specs, I'd still recommend the 2010 mac mini. It has an optical drive and you can upgrade the hard drive yourself - not easily, but there are enough Youtube videos to get you through it. And, yes, they're still over priced. I personally run boot camp XP on it, it's been a real work horse, performing spendidly!

• 3 weeks later...

In my email today from Apple 5 K screen listed in Thailand ... I think at the price, 79.000 baht..... I will stick with 4 K! whistling.gif

http://store.apple.com/th-k12/buy-mac/imac-retina?cid=CDM-THA-P0016259-iMac-5K-Availability-EDU&cp=em-P0016259-331303&sr=em

That's not just a display - it's a whole computer...

Ah yes, well as I said it was a quick glace .....I'll still stick to my Thunderbolt screen which can be used for my Mini and Mac Air...

In a few years 16 K will be the new standard for screens ... being worked on for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics .... things keep evolving and pockets keep needing to get deeper ! whistling.gifwink.png