How Much Do You Think This Website Is Worth?

thai20144

Got to love the OP attitude. Disregard (rudely) genuine and valid posts stating that accurate valuations require more details. If you know that traffic is the only figure that matters then surely you also know how to accurately value a site based on traffic alone, why ask us for advice.

Based on your theory the bbc must make a fortune from their website, huge traffic. Actually a small adsense site with 10 visitors and 1 click per month could make more.... (not saying bbc makes no money, just very little directly from the site)

What the site does, how it is used, user demographics and the amount any potential advertisers would pay per click must be irrelevant, you know best....

Someone who was about to take over a company and make it suceed would welcome and encourage feedback whether positive or negative and review it fully.

Someone who wants to drive a company into the ground and lose everything will ignore good advice when given because its not what they want to hear.

Good luck in your venture.

AdSense you say?

Here today gone tomorrow, site de-ranked and sin binned.

Don't put all your eggs in1 basket.

No, I said the current webmaster is only using AdSense.

Its was establish in 2004 and is one of the top ranks forum in its niche market.

This would not be my only basket if I do decide to buy it.

Edited by thai20144
  • Like 1

Based on your theory the bbc must make a fortune from their website, huge traffic. Actually a small adsense site with 10 visitors and 1 click per month could make more.... (not saying bbc makes no money, just very little directly from the site)

Well, looking at the BBC news website, I'm seeing a leaderboard and a MREC (which they will be making plenty of $ from on a CPM basis), plus I'm seeing outbrain (big $ links), and adsense (little $ links).

I'd say they're making a very tidy amount of money - but not enough to support all those journo's on the ground though.

Viewing it purely as an investment, it produces $12,000/year. Assuming a 4% p.a. return, that would imply a price of $300,000.

This is one of the most ridiculous comments ever on TV. You are assuming that the site will continue to make $1K/year for the next 25 years and then you'll break even. If you have to borrow the money at 5% interest then you'll be making a loss. Internet sites usually sell for 6-24 times monthly earnings, so $6K to $24K. $300K is just a really stupid figure. Someone I know paid $300K for a website business that was earning over $100K a year.

I think you rather miss the point I was making, which is that the price of Internet websites is largely disconnected from economic reality. Something producing a steady income of $12,000/year should be worth a lot more than your range of $6-24,000 - but it's not. Anybody selling such a website for a price in that range would be, in my opinion, a fool.

Following this logic, you'd be a bigger fool not to buy from them. So put your money where your mouth is and buy all these sites. There are currently 1000s on sale.

Got to love the OP attitude. Disregard (rudely) genuine and valid posts stating that accurate valuations require more details. If you know that traffic is the only figure that matters then surely you also know how to accurately value a site based on traffic alone, why ask us for advice.

What the site does, how it is used, user demographics and the amount any potential advertisers would pay per click must be irrelevant, you know best....

Someone who was about to take over a company and make it suceed would welcome and encourage feedback whether positive or negative and review it fully.

Someone who wants to drive a company into the ground and lose everything will ignore good advice when given because its not what they want to hear.

Good luck in your venture.

The BBC makes a huge amount of money from their website. Outside the UK it's packed with adverts, sponsored posts and other advertorials. I can assure you that they make millions from it.

Edited by ldnguy
  • Like 1

Viewing it purely as an investment, it produces $12,000/year. Assuming a 4% p.a. return, that would imply a price of $300,000.

This is one of the most ridiculous comments ever on TV. You are assuming that the site will continue to make $1K/year for the next 25 years and then you'll break even. If you have to borrow the money at 5% interest then you'll be making a loss. Internet sites usually sell for 6-24 times monthly earnings, so $6K to $24K. $300K is just a really stupid figure. Someone I know paid $300K for a website business that was earning over $100K a year.

I think you rather miss the point I was making, which is that the price of Internet websites is largely disconnected from economic reality. Something producing a steady income of $12,000/year should be worth a lot more than your range of $6-24,000 - but it's not. Anybody selling such a website for a price in that range would be, in my opinion, a fool.

Following this logic, you'd be a bigger fool not to buy from them. So put your money where your mouth is and buy all these sites. There are currently 1000s on sale.

Uh, no. The "disconnected from economic reality" means I won't be investing. It's a fools' market.

Uh, no. The "disconnected from economic reality" means I won't be investing. It's a fools' market.

Obviously logic isn't your strong point. If the owners would be fools to sell at the price stated, that means you think they would be selling at too low a price. So it must follow that for a buyer that price would be a bargain. It makes no sense whatsoever to claim the owner is a fool to sell and that a buyer would also be a be a fool to buy. You need to have a sit down and think this through properly.

In any case, it's not all a fool's market. There are some great websites for sale at good prices. Pick the right ones and you can make 100% return on your investment for years to come. Just because you don't understand this market doesn't make it a fool's market. You clearly have no understanding at all of this market sector.

Edited by ldnguy