Fire guts OTOP shop in Ubon Ratchathani airport

webfact

Fire guts OTOP shop in Ubon Ratchathani airport

10-17-2014-10-53-09-AM-wpcf_728x413.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI: -- A night fire broke out at Ubon Ratchathani international airport on Friday causing damage to the airport's two-storey passenger terminal building.

Several fire engines were rushed to fight the fire which started at 2.00 am on the ground-floor souvenir shops of the domestic passenger terminal and managed to put the fire under control half an hour later.

During the fire, all the four predawn flights were not affected and passengers were told to use the foreign passenger terminal instead.

One person was injured in the fire.

The fire was started at the OTOP shop where silk and fragrant candles were displayed on shelves. It quickly spread.

Electric short circuit was believed as a cause.

Forensic police are now inspecting the fire scene to find out evidence of exact cause.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/fire-guts-otop-shop-ubon-ratchathani-airport/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-17

I arrived at Ubon this morning and the main terminal building looks a real mess. Its going to take more than a mop and paint to clean it up. Lots of glass missing at the front of the building and the ceiling 2 stories up has come down.

Flights resume normally at Ubon Ratchathani airport after fire
By Digital Content

14135230291632-640x390x1.jpg

UBON RATCHATHANI, Oct 17 -- Commercial flights at Thailand's Ubon Ratchathani airport in the northeast resumed normally early today after a fire broke out at souvenir shops inside the facility overnight, injuring two airport workers who inhaling smoke, officials said.

They said the incident occurred at about 2am and airport security personnel radioed for help.

Six fire trucks rushed to the airport and firefighters broke through the glass doors to get inside the building.

Deputy Governor Kanchat Thansatien and provincial police chief Pol Maj Gen Thawatchai Nilanut supervised fire fighters trying to put out a fire which broke out at shops selling silk apparel and scented candles.

Officials said the blaze spread quickly to the upstairs, damaging property including a baggage X-ray machine.

Pol Maj Gen Thawatchai said police initially believed the blaze was caused by an electrical short circuit. Damage is still being estimated.

However, flights operated normally since morning. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-10-17

It's always had the International sign on the terminal building for as long as I've traveled through it. I was told in the past, international flights carrying Thai workers to the middle east flew direct from Ubon.

The "Intermational Terminal" is a previously mothballed section at the eastern end of the main airport building. It's behind and beyond the car rental and taxi kiosks. Has not been used since I've been coming thru' Ubon (8 years).

I arrived at Ubon this morning and the main terminal building looks a real mess. Its going to take more than a mop and paint to clean it up. Lots of glass missing at the front of the building and the ceiling 2 stories up has come down.

"However, flights operated normally since morning. (MCOT online news)"

so they have a different definition of the word "normal" it seems..Amazing Thailand

I agree. In the uk the place would be shut for health and safety and they would be talking years and x billion for repairs. In other words total drama. But in thailand eceryone just finds the easiest solution. TiT

"However, flights operated normally since morning. (MCOT online news)"

so they have a different definition of the word "normal" it seems..Amazing Thailand

The key word is flights. Flights can take off and land just fine (like normal).