I have to get new 90 days extension everytime when I return to Thailand; Immigration tells me.

Hi,

I start this topic because I wonder if I misunderstand the Thai Immigration who tells me every time I go abroad I get rid of the 90 days separate paper which is in my passport, and I have to go back to Immigration within 2 weeks after I return to Thailand to get a new 90 day extension with the same old date.

I did go to Kuala Lumpur for a hospital visit for a day. When I left Thailand , they took all the loose papers of my passport, even address paper. So when I returned they just looked at my multiple re-entry visa and told me that I have to go back to Immigration again for 90 day extension OTHERWISE I HAVE TO PAY FOR OVERSTAY.

For example if you have a 90 day extension which is valid until 1 st of January. They take of that paper of your passport when you leave Thailand , and when you come back you have to go to Immigration again to get the same paper with the same date which was 1 st of January, even they still call it 90 days extension which can be 25 days only.

That happened to me and there is no misunderstanding. If I do not go there for a new (old) 90 day extension within a week , I have to pay for OVERSTAY.

They told me these are the new rules or new law.

Has this happened to anybody or different Immigrations are different rules ?

I wonder.

Thousands of thanks in advance.

Cheers

If you have a 90 day visa entry and use a re-entry permit for a return before the permitted to stay date you are allowed to stay only until that date - you do not get a new 90 day stay. But if you have a multi entry visa you should not get or use a re-entry permit as it is not needed - any entry until the expiration date of the visa itself will get a new 90 day stay on entry.

OP - do you have a 90 day extension of stay from immigration? On what basis? And you have a multi re-entry permit?

to lopburi3

Yes I have a multi re-entry permit and O retirement visa yearly, now 3 years.

What I do not understand why do I have to go to immigration every time I come back to Thailand ?????? Isn't enough to go every 90 days ?????????? New law , they say at the Immigration !!!!!!!!!!

op

i think you are confusing an extension of stay with a 90 day report address slip, what type of visa is in your passport and what is the expiry/use by date of that visa.

edit .. sorry we posted at the same time

Edited by steve187

Correct, I mean 90 day report address slip.

I have a retirement visa in my passport.

But every time I come back to Thailand, why do I have to go Immigration again to get another 90 day address slip ????????

Correct, I mean 90 day report address slip.

I have a retirement visa in my passport.

But every time I come back to Thailand, why do I have to go Immigration again to get another 90 day address slip ????????

Rather confusing, but it sounds like you have an extension of stay based on retirement (not a valid visa) and a re-entry permit.

You only report if you remain in Thailand for a continuous 90 days. Whenever you leave and return you start a new 90 days before you need to report.

If you stayed in Thailand continuously, you would report your address every 90 days. When you go out and re-enter Thailand the count of 90 days starts over ... you would only need to report to immigrations 90 days after you returned to Thailand ... assuming you remain in the country the full 90 days.

If you have an extension of stay based on retirement you need a reentry permit to keep that extension valid.

You report to immigration for 90 consecutive days in the kingdom only.

After having spend time outside the kingdom your date of return / entry will be the first day for your next 90 days count.

I am going to Europa again tomorrow for a week. I have a yearly O- Retirement visa. I ' ll see what happens when I come back.

Immigration tells me that the rules and the Thai law changed 2 weeks ago. What can I say ? Immigration is the boss. If they get angry with me , they can say " I do not give you any more visa, you have to leave the country " . I 'll be sad , my tgf will be sad.

I think every immigration office has different rules. Like the every land office has different rules. On Phuket you can go to a land office and borrow money from a Farang on a land paper, but when I try this in Thammarat , they say no, we don't do it , it's too much job to do it and there is not many farang here so it's not necessary to learn for us how to do it.. It's TOO MUCH JOB FOR US TO DO IT.

They are working there and Thai Law says that you can do it. I have even an answer from a lawyer from Bangkok. The lawyer writes, that's the law BUT EVERY LAND OFFICE DECIDES SEPARATELY........ That's the most strange think I've heard in my life. Different laws in the same country.

I have to accept that. I have no choice . What can I do ?

Cheers and be happy.

I am going to Europa again tomorrow for a week. I have a yearly O- Retirement visa. I ' ll see what happens when I come back.

Immigration tells me that the rules and the Thai law changed 2 weeks ago. What can I say ? Immigration is the boss. If they get angry with me , they can say " I do not give you any more visa, you have to leave the country " . I 'll be sad , my tgf will be sad.

<snip>

There has been no change to the immigration act of 1979. Section 37 of it states you must report if you stay longer than 90 days in the Kingdom. Less than 90 days does not require a report.

OP, which immigration told you this? I would have to assume that it was at the airport, as that would be your first contact entering the country?

Have you asked your local immigration office? If you haven't, ask them also what this requirement this would be based on, as it doesn't make sense for 90 day reporting.

They weren't talking about a TM28 were they, confirmation of where you are residing?

The Immigration officer in Nakhonsithammarat tells me this.

4 weeks ago I took a bus from Hatyai to Kuala Lumpur. Because there is a very good and cheap private hospital in KL. They have THE BEST DOCTORS and everybody speak English. But there are problems with taxi same as Bangkok.

The bus passes YALA border Immigration. There nothing happened 4 weeks ago but when I pass again 2 weeks ago they took all the lose papers of my passport. When I asked why do they do that , they told me I will get it back when I turned back. But I didn't get it back and in the Yala office they told me , now you have to go to your local immigration and get another 90 day paper to your passport, it doesn't cost anything but you have to go there " 85 km. far away from there I stay " otherwise you have to pay for overstay.

I did go to immigration in Nakhon 3 days ago, he just put a paper in my passport , 90 day paper , and told me that after my Europa trip , I am going to lose this paper at the immigration . After I come back within a week ((( ok. 2 weeks,,,, ok. 3 weeks for you ))) I have to come back to immigration for another 90 day paper, because I must have that kind of paper in my passport all the time even if I HAVE A YEAR VISA UNTIL 12th of February 2015.....When I asked again. Yes , everytime time you come back to Thailand, you have to come to immigration to get a 90 day permit. You must have it in your passport before you go abroad again. Otherwise you pay for overstay at the immigration when you leave Thailand.

If I go to hospital in Malaysia and turn back to Thailand, before I go to hospital again I have to go to Immigration, otherwise I have to pay for overstay.

Now I have 90 day paper until December, I see what happens when I turn back from Europa .

I let you know.

I am happy anyway.

Cheers

Edited by Alfa

You should take the 90 day report slip out of your passport and keep it yourself before leaving. If the immigration officer took it out an tossed it in the trash I can see you having a problem when you do your first report 90 days after you arrive.

You do not have to go immigration every time you come back to get another 90 days.

Thanks Joe,

I shall do it. I shall take it of that paper out of my passport. But if they tell me I have to pay for overstay, than I will show the paper. I hope it's valid even it's out of my passport.

Now I look at this 90 day report slip again in my passport. There it doesn't write my name or any name of immigration or anything. That paper can belong to anybody. What does it write on that paper,,,,, only,,,,, if you stay over that day, you have to pay 500 THB fine a day punishment or maximum 5000 THB. And this is the paper for every alien has to notify their residence address every 90 day. But they INSISTED at the immigration , even I have got 90 day report, if I go abroad I have to apply to immigration every time I come back to Thailand, maybe every week. Do you think they want something extra.

We will see what happens next week.

Cheers

Thanks Joe,

I shall do it. I shall take it of that paper out of my passport. But if they tell me I have to pay for overstay, than I will show the paper. I hope it's valid even it's out of my passport.

Now I look at this 90 day report slip again in my passport. There it doesn't write my name or any name of immigration or anything. That paper can belong to anybody. What does it write on that paper,,,,, only,,,,, if you stay over that day, you have to pay 500 THB fine a day punishment or maximum 5000 THB. And this is the paper for every alien has to notify their residence address every 90 day. But they INSISTED at the immigration , even I have got 90 day report, if I go abroad I have to apply to immigration every time I come back to Thailand, maybe every week. Do you think they want something extra.

We will see what happens next week.

Cheers

Your 90-day report has nothing to do with overstaying. It is nothing to do with your visa extension. You simply have a legal obligation to report your address to the Immigration Office every time (and ONLY IF) you have stayed in Thailand for 90 consecutive days. If you don't do it you are simply guilty of not doing a report: it does not have any effect on your visa status, and permission to be in the country.

AS everyone has said: when you re-enter the country a new 90 days starts from that point. You do not need to visit immigration when you enter . You can prove you entered on a particular date because you get a TM 6 departure card AND a "permission to stay until ..." stamp, both of which show the day that you entered, and this is all you need.

Some big misunderstanding or miscommunication happened here I think.

That is just the notification they put in your passport when you do an extension stating the date your first report is due and the fines for not doing them.

The receipt is the bottom part of the TM47 form you do for the report. Download and have a look at the form: http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/tm47.pdf