EC's Somchai says polls likely in Jan 2016

Lite Beer

A referendum and an election. Surely an election would be an endorsement or otherswise.

That said I don't see any way that those who have been put in to prime positions will want to relinquish them any time soon. Watch this one drag out and perhaps somebody else emerging from the ranks to take over.

An election would not necessarily be an endorsement for every thing. When Yingluck was elected I don't think it was an endorsement for her to single mindedly mount an over riding drive for Thaksin's return. Yet that is what they got.

I for one believe the Constitution and the EC deserve to be presented to the citizens of Thailand with out any strings attached.

I have to admit that predicting a 2016 election does not bode well. How ever as you say some one new may emerge from the ranks. I have no proof of it just a feeling that they would be welcome with open arms.

There's a very easy way of proving it and you know what it is.

A referendum and an election. Surely an election would be an endorsement or otherswise.

That said I don't see any way that those who have been put in to prime positions will want to relinquish them any time soon. Watch this one drag out and perhaps somebody else emerging from the ranks to take over.

An election would not necessarily be an endorsement for every thing. When Yingluck was elected I don't think it was an endorsement for her to single mindedly mount an over riding drive for Thaksin's return. Yet that is what they got.

I for one believe the Constitution and the EC deserve to be presented to the citizens of Thailand with out any strings attached.

I have to admit that predicting a 2016 election does not bode well. How ever as you say some one new may emerge from the ranks. I have no proof of it just a feeling that they would be welcome with open arms.

What they got, when Yingluck was elected, was a government chosen by and answerable to the people.

Remember, when the opposition took to the streets, Yingluck dissolved parliament and called elections.

She returned power to the people to let them decide who should be running the country.

Elections are democracies self-correcting mechanism.

Democratic elections do not automatically give you democracy/good governance. AS WAS PROVED.......do you honestly think PTP should have been given another 3 years --another chance without some form of intervention/reform/stability ??

Yes! They were given a mandate to fulfil, by the people.

There's a very easy way of proving it and you know what it is.

Well, if the 'junta' is as formidable as some posters have it, I think the elections would prove an overwhelming success with 98.53% of voters choosing Gen. Prayut by simply writing his name on the voting ballot and putting a mark with his name.

Why does the EC still exist?

It couldn't meet its constitutional responsibilities under the 2007 Constitution to hold elections with 60 days of the dissolution of the parliament that would have been in December 2013, finally held elections in February 2015, and then was unable to provide secure polling places so that ALL eligible Thais could vote, causing the Constitutional Court to invalidate the entire election, Even then when the interim government tried to reschedule elections in May 2014 the EC continued to stumble and delay until the military coup gladly relieved the EC of its electoral responsibilities by abolishing the constitution.

And of course as a consequence of the substantial delays caused by the EC, the interim government was not able under the 2007 Constitution to borrow funds to pay the rice farmers for their pledged rice to the government. With the coup and abolishment of the constitution the NCPO did borrow the funds to payoff the farmers.

So again why does the EC still exist? One can only believe because it was a loyal creation of the previous Junta, obediant to the interests of retaining military power, and continues to serve the agenda of the Junta. If this was not true, I'd expect out of a sense of ethics and loyalty to a democratic government that its members would voluntarily resign in a sign of protest to the coup's abolishment of the Constitution and its legal electoral authority. But instead it's as if the coup never happened and somehow the coup leaders simply replaced the Yingluck government leaders. For the EC it seems life goes on uninterrupted as it should for the priviledged class.

This.

It couldn't meet its constitutional responsibilities under the 2007 Constitution to hold elections with 60 days of the dissolution of the parliament that would have been in December 2013, finally held elections in February 2015, and then was unable to provide secure polling places so that ALL eligible Thais could vote, causing the Constitutional Court to invalidate the entire election, Even then when the interim government tried to reschedule elections in May 2014 the EC continued to stumble and delay until the military coup gladly relieved the EC of its electoral responsibilities by abolishing the constitution.

And of course as a consequence of the substantial delays caused by the EC, the interim government was not able under the 2007 Constitution to borrow funds to pay the rice farmers for their pledged rice to the government. With the coup and abolishment of the constitution the NCPO did borrow the funds to payoff the farmers.

So again why does the EC still exist? One can only believe because it was a loyal creation of the previous Junta, obediant to the interests of retaining military power, and continues to serve the agenda of the Junta. If this was not true, I'd expect out of a sense of ethics and loyalty to a democratic government that its members would voluntarily resign in a sign of protest to the coup's abolishment of the Constitution and its legal electoral authority. But instead it's as if the coup never happened and somehow the coup leaders simply replaced the Yingluck government leaders. For the EC it seems life goes on uninterrupted as it should for the priviledged class.

Let me start with the time line of this universe first. PM Yingluck dissolved the House on the 9th of December 2013. The new elections were set for the 2nd of February 2014.

Next what with anti-government protests the E.C. asked the police to help secure polling stations, but the police failed miserably. One may even say things got worse. Even the Emergency Decree didn't help (being prohibited to gather with more than four voters at a time and so). Etc., etc.

Now as for the E.C. well reforms may be on the way, but discussions didn't really start yet. Once they do a lot of academics will surely offer their valueble advise on what a E.C. should do and how to ensure it can do that. Without being pressured by politicians or governments on how to do that.

You don't really believe that load of old rubbish, c'mon admit it.

Let me start with the time line of this universe first. PM Yingluck dissolved the House on the 9th of December 2013. The new elections were set for the 2nd of February 2014.

Next what with anti-government protests the E.C. asked the police to help secure polling stations, but the police failed miserably. One may even say things got worse. Even the Emergency Decree didn't help (being prohibited to gather with more than four voters at a time and so). Etc., etc.

Now as for the E.C. well reforms may be on the way, but discussions didn't really start yet. Once they do a lot of academics will surely offer their valueble advise on what a E.C. should do and how to ensure it can do that. Without being pressured by politicians or governments on how to do that.

You don't really believe that load of old rubbish, c'mon admit it.

It's not about believing, it's simply knowing, being able to verify. That's why I felt a need to correct rickirs.

Of course I'm aware his was a load of rubbish, but normally I try not to use such descriptions in discussing events with people living in parallel universes.

Edited by rubl