Lack of quality products and professional labor in Thailand

Sabaisabai1

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i dont doubt you motives or your reasons for wanting better quality but i hope you have done your sums on the import/excise and vat tax you will have to come up with added to this vat is calculated on the complete import ie cost of shipping and carriage at this end pretty scary me thinks

there are exceptions if you are moving to Thailand with the appropriate visa you are allowed one shipment of household goods

better check that out on line for accuracy

i dont doubt you motives or your reasons for wanting better quality but i hope you have done your sums on the import/excise and vat tax you will have to come up with added to this vat is calculated on the complete import ie cost of shipping and carriage at this end pretty scary me thinks

there are exceptions if you are moving to Thailand with the appropriate visa you are allowed one shipment of household goods

better check that out on line for accuracy

Yes, no worries - I've imported enough things that my import agent has a "close" working relationship with the customs inspector. Its not too scary though - its just the stores that lie to you. Jet skis are zero duty, only 7% VAT. Many other items zero as well. Anyways, the agent makes up the import declarations for me and I just hand over the extra money - there really is no shame in this country when it comes to corruption and bribes.

• Like 2

This is thailand

And? You don't think some Thai people want to purchase quality products that last for a little higher cost or higher competent electricians or carpenters that know how to work? Mercedes and BMWs sell pretty well here so why not quality consumer products? Its only cars people will pay the higher price for the quality?

Quality consumer products are available here except the cost is more than just a little higher, Something you will understand with more clarity once your container load of stuff arrives and you find yourself having to pay the import taxes.... suddenly your $20.00 USD purchase has now cost you $40.00 in total.

Ask your girlfriend to help find reliable contractors and the higher quality goods you're looking for.

And you've got to calm down. You sound like you're terrorizing everyone around you.

It's an adjustment process. Plenty of Americans over here living happily.

HomePro sells quality tools.

Edited by Gecko123

oh that's ok then i see you have not been a member of tv for a long time would that reflect the time you have been in Thailand

only asking , again only asking do you think it wise to publicly announce that you offer bribes to the customs dept to smooth through your imports ok none of my biz but i did have an idea there is a desperate bid to curtail these practices

hope they don't come knocking on yours oh i forgot you've done it many times

But you'd want all these tradespeople at minimum price right? So you wonder why these people don't have the motivation to train up, buy better tools etc.

Comes down to what the client is prepared to pay. And in Thailand, that ain't much.

My dad also a tradesmen commented also on the quality of the pipes here and the thread in pipes. It is in general just cheap junk even at home pro you wont find real decent stuff (pipes and threads) Tools are ok but quality materials is an other problem.

• Like 2

Its illogical to think that there are no good tradesmen here, just look at how good some of the big shopping malls are done. Tiles are done good ect, there are good tradesmen around. The big problem is finding them most of what you normally find are people who just "pretend" to be a tradesman and quality can vary then a lot.

But they are there.. but hard to find. I have read posts on people who have found them but these guys are always busy of course and a bit more expensive.

Though more money wont always buy better quality (found that out)

i completely agree, there are very professional people around but you will not find them in Homepro are alike. I have a business here and employ over 50 people, most are trained by me. In general they are no multi- taskers and lack initiative, but once they understand the job they can be very good, better than many Europeans. The problem is education; poor basics and not enough practical training like plumber, electricians etc... They just learn it from the elder, so very few input of new technologies. It is mainly thanks to foreign companies quality and skills improve.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Go with the locals when you feel like it. Import when you must.

We used local builders but imported things like electrical switches/ circuit breakers.

We were satisfied with locally made plumbing fittings and tiles etc.

It is ultimately up to you.

" Everything is from China "

I have news for you,

Just about everything sold in the USA is from China too.

But, it seems to be a better quailty of Chinese junk in the states.

A farang friend here in Thailand said " I would be a good idea to open a store in Thailand and call it " Things made in China to be sold to Americans".

It's just better junk!

• Like 2

Why not just go back to America..then you won't have to call people lazy, useless, idiotic, retard, incompetent etc and you can spend all day leaning on your superb mop handle. You must be an absolute charmer to work with or for.

From an earlier post.

I am Canadian and live in Bangkok.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/744801-spanish-visa-for-thai-girlfriend-for-short-holiday/

You had me worried for a minute. whistling.gif

Edited by thailiketoo

im not calling troll im calling hypocrite,

i quote,

Anyways, the agent makes up the import declarations for me and I just hand over the extra money - there really is no shame in this country when it comes to corruption and bribes.

thailand good for something

Here and in the west is swamped with Chinese crap, well we did give them the wests manufacturing industries didn't we whistling.gif , so the fat cats can get fatter eh.

Mr. & Mrs.Thai ain't rich folk and the market here is aimed at them to buy the stuff they can afford.

• Like 1

So here's what I don't understand. 1000's of Thais willingly pay 3 million baht ++ for a quality imported car. So they show they are willing to pay more money for better quality. They also willingly pay 4000 baht ++ per night to stay in nice hotels. But when it comes time to do shopping for household items like tools, ladders, cleaning tools or whatever, where do they go? Or do they just buy the Chinese junk at BigC and keep replacing them every month when they break?

And who do they hire to work on their homes? The local dude who has no formal training in anything or a licensed electrician / plumber etc. who is really good at his job?

I never said I wasn't willing to pay more money for better quality but it doesn't have to be a lot more. A simple store like Costco would clean up in Thailand if they could sell items for the same prices as back home. Now the choice is 150 baht for something that will break or go home with nothing.

i quote,

Anyways, the agent makes up the import declarations for me and I just hand over the extra money - there really is no shame in this country when it comes to corruption and bribes.

The first time I encountered this, I thought the agent was joking as it sounded so ridiculous. Pay 10,000 baht and they won't open the container. So I paid and they never opened it. I would think if the government actually collected all the taxes from incomes, imports and so on that should be paid, the amounts would be massive. But pay a Customs guy a crap salary, then watch him sell out his country of a million in unpaid duty for 10,000 baht in his pocket.

i quote,

The first time I encountered this, I thought the agent was joking as it sounded so ridiculous. Pay 10,000 baht and they won't open the container. So I paid and they never opened it. I would think if the government actually collected all the taxes from incomes, imports and so on that should be paid, the amounts would be massive. But pay a Customs guy a crap salary, then watch him sell out his country of a million in unpaid duty for 10,000 baht in his pocket.

Bet the Custom's fella paid a high price to buy his job.

This is thailand

And? You don't think some Thai people want to purchase quality products that last for a little higher cost or higher competent electricians or carpenters that know how to work? Mercedes and BMWs sell pretty well here so why not quality consumer products or competent tradespeople? Its only cars people will pay the higher price for the quality?

You do realise that those crap Thai tradesmen actually make the BMWs and Benzes you're talking about? Mercedes have been making cars in Thailand since 1979.

• Like 1

This is thailand

And? You don't think some Thai people want to purchase quality products that last for a little higher cost or higher competent electricians or carpenters that know how to work? Mercedes and BMWs sell pretty well here so why not quality consumer products or competent tradespeople? Its only cars people will pay the higher price for the quality?

You do realise that those crap Thai tradesmen actually make the BMWs and Benzes you're talking about? Mercedes have been making cars in Thailand since 1979.

Thought they were "assembling" them..........

It takes time.

I remember getting desperate when the place I was in sold hammers but didn't have any f#$%^ng nails! However after three years now, for a price I can generally find what I am looking for, I don't buy important stuff in BigC apart from baked beans. You need to find a mom and pop store that will look after you. There are many, many 'mai mee' shops and stores around (even if the requested product is just behind them), but there are places that give you 'Mai mee -- but we can find it for you'. I do occasionally travel from Buriram to Bangkok to get stuff from Thaicarpenter, Petberry or IKEA, paying a hotel plus the price that their stuff costs of course. I ask people coming back from Europe to bring me stuff. It is probably easier to do stuff like this in the provinces than it is in Bangkok, which seems counter intuitive initially. That's the way it is, if you don't like this....

By the way Thais don't buy expensive cars primarily because of reliability but, as do many Farangs here, to impress the neighbours and the police.

(Edit) PS: push brooms are the stupidest invention ever imposed on the population of this planet and I speak both as an ex- brush salesman ('Confessions of a brush Salesman' available soon) and someone that had to clean large areas regularly. Buy a leaf blower.

Edited by cooked

I never said I wasn't willing to pay more money for better quality but it doesn't have to be a lot more. A simple store like Costco would clean up in Thailand if they could sell items for the same prices as back home.

Unless Costco are able to set-up shop in Thailand for zero cost and avoid all import taxes I just don't reckon they will get close to the same prices as the USA.

True Value Hardware sell a lot of imported (from the USA) products and are very expensive (compared to the USA)..... why do you think this is ?

If you pay for it you'll get quality in Thailand, simple as that.

Just visit Central and you'll get what you're looking for.

But Thais on low salaries , 10-20000 baht per month will buy plastic as its the cheapest option. TIT.

• Like 1