Best BKK Account for Farang - No ATM Fees - No Work Permit

Not sure this applies to the OP but a word of caution: if you intend to bring in foreign currency and deposit it to your Thai bank account, avoid Kasikorn (KBANK) at all cost. My account lies there and that would be too much of a hassle to switch, but they're a real pain in the back when it comes to accepting foreign banknotes. Any note that is not perfectly spotless and without the tiniest tear will be rejected. And they insist on photocopying every single note and have you sign each sheet of the copies. It takes me over an hour to do this every time I bring in a couple of thousand euros over here.

Last time they've rejected almost half of the banknotes because of defects I could hardly see. Had to go to the nearest BKK Bank where they were exchanged within 10 minutes, hassle-free, and come back to deposit the bahts.

I've complained (politely) several times about this being such a pain and they've told me that's a company policy and I should switch banks if I'm not happy with it (can you believe this?).

I would do so if I still had a work permit. But I don't anymore.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Krung Sri offers a debit card which can be used at all ATMs, free of charge. There's a fee of 480 Baht for three years' service.

I prefer this to the Bangkok Bank Be1st card for the simple reason that that card started to delaminate and had repeatedly to be stuck back together which meant frequent problems paying at the supermarket. No such problems with the Krung Sri card.

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/KrungsriDebitAllATMs.html

This is more like what I was looking for but what does this mean:

Krungsri SMS Banking service must be applied and used throughout of cardholding. Nevertheless, the service fee is in accordance with the Bank’s notification.*

It means you pay might have to Bt19/month for the service...depends on the card. I also have a Krungsri debit card but it's the basic card with no annual fee, but it comes automatically with the SMS service which cost Bt19/month. So, effectively I'm paying Bt228/year indirectly for my debit card. But I'm OK with that because I like the SMSs notifying me of all my banking transactions.

Good point. I hadn't noticed (until now) I was being charged 19 Baht/month for the SMS alerts.

To be honest, I hated the SMS alerts that came every time I paid by card. Fortunately I was able to find a way to make them silent, so rather less annoying.

They do seem to be a good security feature, though.

Makes the card pretty expensive over 3 years.

I'm realizing now all this time I'm wasting researching and talking about this crap is time spent not working. 1 hour of missed work is enough to pay for a lifetime of ATM fees. Also I need to realize I simply wont be out of my province very often anyway, not even to justify even one of these more expensive use any ATM cards. Still I'm obsessive about getting the best deal on this stuff.

Seems like I need to find a friend who will allow me to use their address but I'm not sure about having banking stuff mailed to one of my pooying haha.

I got a Bangkok and Kasikorn Bank accounts, K Bank on a tourist visa and BKK Bank on Visa exempt. But I do have a condo rental lease,got internet Banking on both. BKK send the password to your address,but K Bank did it in the branch from SMS message via the ATM. Lots of paperwork,but once setup pretty good

It sucks because I don't have a condo lease agreement because I'm not staying here for 1 year at time, but rather 2-3 months 60 days apart. Somewhere near 6 months here. When I return on day one of my tourist visa next time I will dress up and go from branch to branch until is done. Probably no good case to made right now since I'm leaving in about a week.

It was a few years ago (maybe 5) but I opened a Bangkok Bank account with just my passport. They also let me open a USD account without any problem.

The thing I like about them is that they have a clearing branch in London : I can do a UK bank-to-bank transfer using internet banking and they will transfer it to my Thai account. It's very simple.

Not sure this applies to the OP but a word of caution: if you intend to bring in foreign currency and deposit it to your Thai bank account, avoid Kasikorn (KBANK) at all cost. My account lies there and that would be too much of a hassle to switch, but they're a real pain in the back when it comes to accepting foreign banknotes. Any note that is not perfectly spotless and without the tiniest tear will be rejected. And they insist on photocopying every single note and have you sign each sheet of the copies. It takes me over an hour to do this every time I bring in a couple of thousand euros over here.

Last time they've rejected almost half of the banknotes because of defects I could hardly see. Had to go to the nearest BKK Bank where they were exchanged within 10 minutes, hassle-free, and come back to deposit the bahts.

I've complained (politely) several times about this being such a pain and they've told me that's a company policy and I should switch banks if I'm not happy with it (can you believe this?).

Thanks for the info. I won't be depositing foreigner currency.

If you go to Bangkok Bank banks, talk with an Englsh speaker female manager, smile a lot, being friendly and funny, telling her that you just got here looking for job, but you do have 300,000 in cash and I do not want to keep it at your hotel safe too long, wanting an account that can get money wires from outside the country, have a good reputation, etc, etc, etc.....I beat that you will get an account.....You may be asked to bring itst references form to be signed by a Thai person that you may bring later...someday....after your account is open....

Or you could walk into a bank, speak to whoever is working the counter, avoid pretending to be a comedian or acting like an idiot and just say you want to open an account. Female bank managers are not bar girls who will (pretend to) swoon & gush when some farang male talks to them and they aren't going to be impressed that you (pretend to) have Baht 300,000 stuffed in a hotel safe or that you spend sleepless nights worried about ATM fees.

Act like a normal rational adult and treat the person you are dealing with as if he/she is too. Many people who have been in Thailand on visa exempt entries or tourist visas have opened bank accounts without all the drama or pretending to be Mary Poppins.

@JThai

You want online banking right? Then you should try to open an account in Kasikorn.

If difficult i Bangkok, try the KB branch at The Avenue in Pattaya. I got my account there two years ago on a visa exemption. And earlier this year I opened a second account(still on visa exemption) and got it added to my online banking. So now I only keep a smaller amount on my account that are connected to my atm card, and transfer when I need to top up some money from my other savings account.

You need to provide some kind of address, have a thai mobile and passport.

Edited by Namplik

We are with Bangkok Bank. No fees if you use their network. But! If you have one of their chipped cards, and they is no branch nearby, you are out of luck. We got stuck in a small town with very little cash due to this earlier in the year.

To use an ATM that is not BB, it's only 20B.

I had problems opening my account at a smaller branch, then went to the main branch and got things taken care of.

I am very surprised. My wife and I have quite a few accounts (saving, Fixed Deposits and Baluang Investments) with Bangkok bank in Chiang Mai and have a VIP card from them . Whilst there is no ATM charge in Chiang Mai Province, outside this area we are still charged Baht 15 as an ATM fee. I am not worried about it, but I am just wondering why one office of BBL uses different practices than another. Are you sure you can use a BBL ATM anywhere in Thailand without a charge??

Opened my first account with the BB Branch on Suk Rd about 25 years ago while on a tourist visa and they accepted my address of the Honey Hotel as OK...but things must have changed.

Since moving to CM opened new a/cs with SCB Hang Dong and BB at Promenada and only request made by both was for Passport and address...easy.

Use a transfer company for Uk-SCB-BB dosh and if running out when having coffee in Chi Ching visit the branch withmy Nationwide Cards for an over the counter remit (hence avoid the 180 Bt rip offs)...quiet...

Never had a work permit or extension and since I am only 65 recon too young/don't want for a retirement visa.

I actually like leaving the country every 90 days...makes for a change...lifes too short otherwise ...keep things simple..eh

Seems like I need to find a friend who will allow me to use their address but I'm not sure about having banking stuff mailed to one of my pooying haha.

I have only ever received mail from Krung Thai relating to a very large fixed term deposit there. They sent a statement every six months.

For other banks, and for various savings and fixed deposit accounts I have never, ever received a single piece of paper through the mail.

Yes, you'll get mail if you get a credit card, but otherwise, in my experience, zilch.

To the OP try the BBL branch between Sukhumvit Soi 8 - 10. You have to go up to the first floor and if you have luck you will see several foreigners opening an account.

A few weeks ago I was their. I have a BBL, Kasikorn and Krungsri account. All accounts opened on a None Immigrant O visa.

I do was asked if I am a US citizen before they even wanted to see my PP so their might be some hassle to open a bank account as a US citizen.

My wife is a banker in BKK. Rules have changed, especially if you are a citizen of the USA. Both the USA and UK are looking for money launderers and tax dodgers.

If you want to launder money check out the international banks found guilty. They all have branches here.

If you want to deposit $1 million US or more, a Thai bank will probably be accommodating.

If you are an ordinary bloke ... good luck.

Total nonsense - the only added requirement is the SSN (fill out W-9 form) of US account holders. They are still welcome without a million or more US dollars.

We are with Bangkok Bank. No fees if you use their network. But! If you have one of their chipped cards, and they is no branch nearby, you are out of luck. We got stuck in a small town with very little cash due to this earlier in the year.

To use an ATM that is not BB, it's only 20B.

I had problems opening my account at a smaller branch, then went to the main branch and got things taken care of.

I am very surprised. My wife and I have quite a few accounts (saving, Fixed Deposits and Baluang Investments) with Bangkok bank in Chiang Mai and have a VIP card from them . Whilst there is no ATM charge in Chiang Mai Province, outside this area we are still charged Baht 15 as an ATM fee. I am not worried about it, but I am just wondering why one office of BBL uses different practices than another. Are you sure you can use a BBL ATM anywhere in Thailand without a charge??

That does seem to be the case! We are not notified at time of withdrawal, so never noticed it. Plus, in the past year, have only used it out of our province 1 time. Will keep this in mind next time we travel though!

I use " Krungsri Debit All ATMs " and with this ATM card I can use it with NO FEES in any ATM in Thailand ( Any Branch of any Bank in all provinces)

Cost: 480 B for 3 years service.

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/PersonalBanking/CardProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/KrungsriDebitAllATMs.html

As for opening account , I am on retirement extension and I had not ptoblem opening a saving account in a Krungsri Branch in Pattaya and in Chiangmai.

The whole point, at least for me, of having the Thai account was so I could make wire transfers, and NOT HAVE TO carry lots of cash with me while traveling. And Kasikorn has worked just fine for this. They may be picky about exchanging currency, I wouldn't know, but I have no problems whatsoever with the international transfers.

I opened a Savings Account with Kasikorn in Khao Lak on production of my passport (Non-Imm O Visa), my Thai DL, and letter confirming residency from our bungalow resort owner. No Work Permit mentioned. Received passbook and Debit Card which is fee free within the Province (Phang Nga) where it gets used for the majority of our 5 month stay, 20 baht per withdrawal elsewhere. Need to keep minimum of 2500 baht in the account when we leave to UK to keep debit card live for our return. Converted to K-Cyber Service at the ATM outside the branch in Khao Lak before we left so that I can monitor the account on-line while at home. I could use this to transfer money from our UK bank account to KBank account subject to fees at both ends and KBank's rate of exchange. I don't use this as we fly into Bangkok, bring Sterling with us, take to Super Rich in Silom Road to get best current rate of exchange, then walk a short way to Kbank Silom branch and pay into our KBank account, without charge of course.

Although I've had £ notes rejected by KBank when changing or paying in because of marks or rips, I've never experienced all the notes being copied as one previous poster has reported. I Have found that local staff and Branch Manager act sometimes like Immigration staff interpreting rules as they see them but claiming it is Bank (or Government Policy.

I can't understand why people are banging on about work permits......You don't need a work permit to open a bank account in Thailand....Period!

If you are told by the bank...."You need a work permit" it's because they don't know how to deal with you, or can't be bothered and its the easy way out to tell you that....Or, you may just be talking to someone in the bank that doesn't know, (should know) but to save face will tell you...."You need work permit"...They will not admit they don't know.....The worst incident of this was getting my house electric bill in my name, I had a ding dong of a battle with some smart ass in the electric office. I wouldn't take his ..."you need work permit" shit. Eventually with all the noise, the big boss came down stairs, I thought, OK there goes my electric bill in my name...The boss gave the guy who said I needed a work permit, (after listening to his story) a proper ear bending...Lol and came and spoke perfect English to me and sorted out the bill in my name personally.

I'm no expert, in my experience in Thailand you have to deal with the people in positions of authority all the time that don't know what there doing and because of the 'face' thing, will blow you off because they don't know how to deal with your request or to feel important!

For best security, Bangkok Bank with the Chip ATM card that cannot be skimmed or cloned (only works in Bangkok Bank ATM)

Soon, all other banks will follow suit.

#2 is Kasikorn with SMS alerts for everything happening on your account or ATM

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Krungsri might be a winner now I just gotta see if they will give account to lowly foreigner with no work permit haha.

Need immigrant VISA for that at most branches . . . .

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Krungsri might be a winner now I just gotta see if they will give account to lowly foreigner with no work permit haha.

Need immigrant VISA for that at most branches . . . .

Rather than spout nonsense, why not actually have a look at the bank's actual requirements:

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/FAQs.html?lang=en-US#FAQLink139

No visa requirement. No work permit requirement.

Rather than spout nonsense, why not actually have a look at the bank's actual requirements:

If you're referring to this answer below in their FAQ list, it appears from their answer that it's aimed at Thai residents, not expats.

For individual customers:

• A certified copy of your ID card , your driving license with your ID number, or other IDs with your photo, such as a civil servant or state enterprise employee ID
  • A certified copy of your house registration

Farangs aren't generally going to have the option to provide a Thai civil servant or state enterprise employee ID.

Thus, I think the reason their answer doesn't deal with visas or work permits is those are irrelevant for their Thai customersn whom the answer pertains to.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank will give an account to farangs BUT now probably not to Americans. The recently passing of FACT puts very onerous conditions on foreign banks with American customers in terms of reporting the account and any interest paid to the US government. Many banks that do not have a presence in America now think it is not worthwhile to open or maintain accounts of American citizens.

If you're referring to this answer below in their FAQ list, it appears from their answer that it's aimed at Thai residents, not expats.

• A certified copy of your ID card , your driving license with your ID number, or other IDs with your photo, such as a civil servant or state enterprise employee ID

Farangs aren't generally going to have the option to provide a Thai civil servant or state enterprise employee ID.

Thus, I think the reason their answer doesn't deal with visas or work permits is those are irrelevant for their Thai customersn whom the answer pertains to.

And the page is in English because that's the preferred language of Thai customers?

I've opened several accounts with Krungsri over the years. They want to see proof of ID (passport) and that's it in my experience. No need for work permit (I haven't had one for many years), or even proof of address.

Kasikorn or Bangkok Bank will give an account to farangs BUT now probably not to Americans. The recently passing of FACT puts very onerous conditions on foreign banks with American customers in terms of reporting the account and any interest paid to the US government. Many banks that do not have a presence in America now think it is not worthwhile to open or maintain accounts of American citizens.

I presume you mean FATCA, passed back in 2010. This old chestnut does pop up, but amounts to scaremongering. Discussed in many threads here at TV, over & over & over again, but when it comes to this there's always someone popping in with the same old newsflash. You may have to search a few banks & bank branches, but it's a myth to say that Americans can't get accounts anymore, and a bigger myth to claim they're not being maintained. If your account is under $50,000 (USD), the work really isn't all that onerous. Expats whose assets do exceed this amount may pose a burden for banks (not to mention themselves), but then again they'll probably have the work permits or visas to satisfy them. If you do happen to encounter a branch that won't provide, it's possibly the result of a low-level employee that just doesn't want to lose face by admitting they're confused or don't know how... Persevere.

Krung Sri offers a debit card which can be used at all ATMs, free of charge. There's a fee of 480 Baht for three years' service.

I prefer this to the Bangkok Bank Be1st card for the simple reason that that card started to delaminate and had repeatedly to be stuck back together which meant frequent problems paying at the supermarket. No such problems with the Krung Sri card.

http://www.krungsri.com/bank/PersonalBanking/DepositProducts/KrungsriDebitcard/KrungsriDebitAllATMs.html

Hogwash. Plenty of very recent posts regarding Americans being able to open bank accounts at all Thai banks because all Thai banks now have FATCA agreements with the U.S. IRS.

An Amercian will just be asked to also complete a W-9 form to document their social security number and maybe a bank questionnaire. In fact, even a non-American will probably have to complete and sign the questionnaire to certify they do not hold American citizenship and not subject to FATCA.

Sure you will see a few posts of a farang having a hard time in opening a bank account (have for many years), but it has nothing to do with FATCA. By the way, I'm American and last opened a Bangkok Bank account in Dec 13 and an account with Krungsri Bank about six weeks ago.

Seems like my dream setup would be to have:

1. 1 x Krungsri Savings Account w/ All ATM Card - Cost 1164 for 3 years/388 a year - (mandatory SMS service).

2. 1 x Krungsri Savings Account w/ No ATM - I will hold all money in this account until its time to withdraw.

3. Have both accounts linked with internet access but not ATM access so that I can do transfers instantly between the two.

If I can't find a branch to do that I will go for Bangkok Bank with a similar setup.

I will take my:

1. Passport

2. American Drivers License

3. A bank statement (US)

4. A print out of my SSN (don't have the original with me)

5. Smile and professional attitude

6. 20K THB to deposit on the spot

7. Maybe I'll buy a cheap indian suit on the day I go hunting for this

Hopefully this will be enough to get some luck. Should I just open the 1st account and then later try to open the second account?

And the page is in English because that's the preferred language of Thai customers?

I've opened several accounts with Krungsri over the years. They want to see proof of ID (passport) and that's it in my experience. No need for work permit (I haven't had one for many years), or even proof of address.

"Over the years" and what's going on now are probably two different things. While I have no doubt that there are some banks/branches opening accounts for foreigners, it's clear that the days of a quick opening with minimal paperwork are gone, at least for the time being.

In a different thread I recently posted my experience about opening an account and I have a Non-O multi-entry visa and an invitation letter from the Thai government (NRCT) for my purpose of stay. Every bank, and I mean every bank, I went to asked for a work permit, even those that are "headquarters" or "farang friendly" as previously described. I still couldn't get an account in my own name solely because of the work permit and visa type I hold, so I had to open a joint savings with my wife and I'm a secondary user on the account.

These attempts were all in Bangkok. I ultimately went with Citi for reasons described in another thread, but it was no easy feat. Claiming that bank employees and managers are misinformed when they ask for this information may be true in many instances, however it's not a fair generalization. I had an articulate manager at Citi (Interchange location) explain matters in details, even why Citi has suspended free global transfers from one Citi account to another.

Based solely on my own experience, past and present, I find that the landscape has changed. For those who opened an account within the past few months, I'm confident their experience is most likely different than those who opened an account 6 months to a year ago, let alone longer.

That said, I do have an account with K-Bank which was opened a few years ago on a tourist visa. I had no issues then, but can't say the same now.