O-A Visa question forom a newbe

Couple of question for you to answer please

I just received my OA Visa (multi) last week , My question is I'm hearing should I leave Thailand after its activation I'll need a re entry visa ?? That doesn't make sense if I have a multi trip visa , is this just new or is someone taken a lend of me. Apparently the information came off Canadian thai website , but I cant find it ??

My last question is.. a few days before my OA Visa finishes (Oct 14 2015) I'll leave the country for a few days , say in HCMC and come back to activation it for a further 12 month "permit to stay" my question is do I renew my OA Visa just before that twelve months runs out or on the 14th Oct 2015 .

hope this makes sensebiggrin.png

cheers guys

A multi entry receives a new one year stay from each entry made during the year it is valid so no re-entry permit is needed or wanted until an entry after the validity of the visa (second year). You make a new entry prior to October 14 to get the year entry from that entry date.

• Like 1

You do not need a re-entry permit until after your visa expires to keep your last one year entry valid. You could do an entry just before your visa expires on October 15th of 2015 and get an entry valid until October of 2016. You would not need to do an extension or get a new visa until October of 2016.

The information on the embassy websites is for a single entry visa. Just the usual outdated and/or incorrect info you will find on many embassy and consulate websites.

• Like 1

A non immigrant O visa only allows a 90 day stay - and O-A visa allows a one year stay. Did not seen any attachment from London in your post (or are you saying information you had?); but if 90 day entry it would be the O type visa - not the long stay O-A visa.

• Like 1

I will add that in the last 30 days of your second year, before that permission to stay date expires, apply for a 1-year extension based on retirement. You will need either 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for 2 months BEFORE you apply or statement of income notarized by your (Canadian?) embassy totaling no less than 65,000 baht a month. And you will need to buy a re-entry permit.

found this on the london thai site regarding non immi having to leave every 90 days

There are different non-immigrant visa types. The O-A allows you to enter and exit as you like for one year from the date it was issued ( the date Issued, not one year from the date you first entered the country).

Each entry will give you a new one year permission to stay from your last entry. If you make an entry just before the visa expires, you'll have a year's permission to stay starting from that last entry. At that point, once the visa expires but your permission to stay is still valid, you would need a re-entry permit for any further re-entries in order to keep the permission to stay valid.

During the last 30 days of that permission to stay you would need to apply for an extension of stay based on retirement, but you would need a new re-entry permit for any exits & re-entries during the additional year extension.

• Like 1

I am getting to renew my annual retirement visa in a few days and now I am confused. I go to USA three times a year and come back. I also may take a trip out of Thailand for a short vacation and come back. Should I get a muti-entry permit or just one permit? Will I need a permit each time I come back to Thailand?

I am getting to renew my annual retirement visa in a few days and now I am confused. I go to USA three times a year and come back. I also may take a trip out of Thailand for a short vacation and come back. Should I get a muti-entry permit or just one permit? Will I need a permit each time I come back to Thailand?

You have to be exact in telling readers what you have. Do you have an O-A visa or are you on a one-year extension based on retirement? If an extension, you do need to buy a re-entry permit each time (1000 baht) before you leave or get a multiple re-entry permit (3800 baht) so you can come and go as many times as you want.

• Like 1

It does have Retirement stamp on there

If it has the "Retirement" stamp, then you have an extension (of the original visa). That means you have to buy a re-entry permit each time you leave. But if you leave and re-enter 4 times a year, the 3800 baht multi would give you more flexibility and a bit more value.