Wet Season Over "NO"

OZEMADE

We just had 60MM of heavy rain in 1 hr on the dark side, near the market on Siam Country Club Rd and Laplay Rd. Water running down the road 4" to 5" deep, cars and bikes broken down all over the place.

How much did you get in your area.

Just come back from LK metro and all the usual suspects deep flooding - corner of Lengkee and Soi Buakhow, 3rd road and Klang before the lights north bound, 3rd road just before Mum Aroi, Sukhumvit north bound near Boontathvon etc etc.

Not clever on a bike and even trucks were reversing from some of those spots to find alternative routes.

They have finished their work on the reservoir and it is filling up again now (has been for the last month). Its still about 2 mtrs down, but the dragon boat competition is soon so that will be the target date I guess for it to be almost full.

I remember about 20 yeas ago, a massive culvert was constructed through the centre of Pattaya Thai Road, running from third Road into the sea, this was a major infrastructure project, some 3 meters wide x 3 meters deep. You could have literally driven a bus through it. The construction took more than a year I seem to remember, evidence of this can be seen today, by the large metal grill covers in the centre of the Road.

This solved the flooding problem for many years, I guess the only reason it does not do the same job today, is because it has not been maintained properly, probably half full of mud and sand.

• Like 1

I remember about 20 yeas ago, a massive culvert was constructed through the centre of Pattaya Thai Road, running from third Road into the sea, this was a major infrastructure project, some 3 meters wide x 3 meters deep. You could have literally driven a bus through it. The construction took more than a year I seem to remember, evidence of this can be seen today, by the large metal grill covers in the centre of the Road.

This solved the flooding problem for many years, I guess the only reason it does not do the same job today, is because it has not been maintained properly, probably half full of mud and sand.

the reason it doesnt work now is that the area of pattaya that has been concreted over in the last 20 years has more the doubled, probably much more then doubled, meaning that there is more the twice the amount of surface water trying to get to the sea each time it rains then there was 20 years ago

Edited by slygeeza

I agree with Slygeeza, as he has a very good point in stating that there is now much more of a catchment area by way of concrete and roofing areas, probably at least double the amount of 20 years ago.

But, would still hazard a guess, that the massive culvert referred to in my last post would benefit from being maintained and cleared, in order to restore it to it's original capacity. We are not talking about a standard 600mm diameter pipe that copes with most storm conditions in the UK for example, the culvert referred to here in Pattaya Thai Road, is as I said, large enough to drive a bus through,and needs to be for it to cope with tropical storm conditions we experience here.

• 4 weeks later...

Good foot of water on north end of beach road near soi 6...and those pumps don't seem to be doing a great deal of good

I was in Central eating at Pizza Co with a good view of the Beach Rd after a heavy downpour. The problem is that the sandbags now keep the water from draining onto the beach and the water lever was over the kerb for more than 1 hour.

Of course, if the water went onto the beach it would wash away the sand, hence the sandbags.

Given the size of the pipes under Beach Rd ( really large diameter ), I can only assume that either they have never been cleaned and are blocked by sand, or the new walkway construction has destroyed the connections from road into the pipes.

IMO the only way to prevent flooding on Beach Rd is to have really big drain pipes at the end of every side soi onto Beach Rd that take the water out under the beach into the sea.

Edited by thaibeachlovers