Manchester City

mrbojangles

26 minutes ago, carmine said:

I was actually wondering if their keeper can take a decent penalty?

I bet Ederson would be darn good. There's a long history of Brazilian keepers being good at PKs. I doubt he'll get a chance, but hope springs eternal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, carmine said:

I was actually wondering if their keeper can take a decent penalty?

Ederson has actually stated that he would want to but Pep has said no as it would be disrespectful to the opponent. Apparently Ederson has taken loads in training and he was once a midfielder so i reckon he could

4 hours ago, StevieH said:

i was pretty pleased when mahrez stepped up to take the penalty, his record from them is poor. think either of the silvas would have scored it. strange bit of management by guardiola really.

What was even stranger was that nobody had informed Pep of Mahrez poor penalty record

Just now, mrbojangles said:

Ederson has actually stated that he would want to but Pep has said no as it would be disrespectful to the opponent. Apparently Ederson has taken loads in training and he was once a midfielder so i reckon he could

Could be tricky if it is saved and goes back into play.

4 hours ago, jellydog said:

I bet Ederson would be darn good. There's a long history of Brazilian keepers being good at PKs. I doubt he'll get a chance, but hope springs eternal.

I hope he does too. It may come in a Cup comp if one goes to penalties. The Laegue Cup aren't having replays or extra time this year

1 hour ago, mrbojangles said:

What was even stranger was that nobody had informed Pep of Mahrez poor penalty record

sort of thing he must have known though really? it would have been in the scouting reports before city signed him at least.

12 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Yeah not the best record (I think it's something like 1 in 4 misses) but he's our number one choice at taking penalties. Unfortunately he wasn't on the pitch at the time or he'd have been the one to take it. 

Correction to the above on Aguero penalty stats after a bit of googling.

Aguero has scored 39 out of 49 pens, which is about 80%. Apparently that's about an average stat. So not as bad as I first thought

16 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

I see nothing disrespectful at all.  Why shouldn't a keeper be a good penalty taker?  Thats why i raised the question.

Baring in mind Aguero has a relatively poor record i'd have thought would have already checked out all options.  Especially as cup ties can lead to penalty shoot outs.  A bit inexplicable really.

NB   Does anyone remember the self proclaimed "Guvnor" Paul Ince who couldn't take a penalty and completely bottled it at the european championships.  The Guvnor was a total bottle job!!

1 hour ago, carmine said:

I see nothing disrespectful at all.  Why shouldn't a keeper be a good penalty taker?  Thats why i raised the question.

Baring in mind Aguero has a relatively poor record i'd have thought would have already checked out all options.  Especially as cup ties can lead to penalty shoot outs.  A bit inexplicable really.

NB   Does anyone remember the self proclaimed "Guvnor" Paul Ince who couldn't take a penalty and completely bottled it at the european championships.  The Guvnor was a total bottle job!!

i've never liked keepers taking penalties and do think it's kind of disrespectful really. i also don't like the potential consequences if he misses and is suddenly a hundred yards from his unguarded net.

paul ince was a massive fanny. all mouth and no trousers. really hated that he was liverpool captain, never liked him.

18 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Yaya never looked like missing a pen.

Balotelli was also excellent but I'm not a fan of stop-start run-ups...kind of cheating in my book; that said goalkeepers regularly break the rules at pens.

If someone is good enough to score with a stop start run up fair play to them. It's the same as a bowler in cricket - what they do before they arrive at the crease shouldn't matter, as long as the delivery itself is legal. 

3 hours ago, StevieH said:

paul ince was a massive fanny. 

Paul Ince is the Governor. 

Went to Serie A when it was the best league in the world and bossed Inter's midfield. (I actually saw him on holiday :))

Let himself down a bit with the switch to Anfield but he was a top, top player. 

2 minutes ago, RickG16 said:

Went to Serie A when it was the best league in the world and bossed Inter's midfield. (I actually saw him on holiday :))

You don't choose your nickname though do you, and "the guvnor wouldn't have bottle a penalty kick and let Southgate take it, a guy that couldn't take a spot kick.  Yes he was a very fine player but a "guvnor" only in his own swollen ego.  Should have been called "the bottle job"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carmine said:

You don't choose your nickname though do you, and "the guvnor wouldn't have bottle a penalty kick and let Southgate take it, a guy that couldn't take a spot kick.  Yes he was a very fine player but a "guvnor" only in his own swollen ego.  Should have been called "the bottle job"

Sorry but I don't really care about England. 

5 minutes ago, carmine said:

The same swollen ego that thinks he’s a top manager who should be given a top job when he’s done <deleted> all. 

Hes lucky to even be on the BBC as he’s <deleted> on there too. 

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, RickG16 said:

haha. alex ferguson called him a "bottler" and "big time charlie". he turned up at liverpool and when assistant manager and european cup winning captain phil thompson got out his medals to show the players "this is what playing for liverpool is about" ince, the terminal gobsh*te, got out his chequebook and said "no, THIS is what playing for liverpool is about".

he was and remains a massive fanny.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, StevieH said:

phil thompson

He is one of those after dinner speakers whose stories I always take with a massive pinch of salt. 

Ince was a great player who went abroad and made it. For that I respect him. I don't really care if he's a great human being. I don't plan to date him. 

• Haha 1