Manchester City

mrbojangles

From sky sports:-

Benjani ties up City move

Premier League give striker's deal thumbs-up

Sky Sports News understands Benjani has completed his move to Manchester City from Portsmouth.

The Zimbabwe striker has been left in limbo after a switch to the City of Manchester Stadium failed to go through on transfer deadline day.

Portsmouth had agreed to sell their top scorer to City after sealing a deal to bring in Jermain Defoe from Tottenham Hotspur.

However, Benjani's move did not appear to be concluded before the closure of the transfer window, prompting an investigation from the Premier League.

Officials have been looking into the paperwork and it now seems the green light has been given for the deal to be ratified.

City boss Sven Goran Eriksson admitted on Monday that he expected the issue to be resolved by Tuesday at the latest.

Sources now suggest City have tied up the loose ends which prevented Benjani from securing his move last week.

Unfortunately, MrBoJ, this seems to be premature.

MCFC have released a news statement denying the deal has been done :D

I have heard there were complications with the medical :o and that City are trying to get a reduced price for the player?

MCFC have released a news statement denying the deal has been done :D

And skysports are usually so spot on with their reports :o

I have heard there were complications with the medical :D and that City are trying to get a reduced price for the player?

That'll be Thaksin trying to barter. The prem have never dealt with the Thai way before. G0d help em, we'll probably end up with Benjani, Portsmouth paying us money and a cut of Defoe's fee if he is sold on :D

Definately done and dusted now Jack. It's on the city web site and it looks like Thai style haggling worked. :o

Benjani signs for £3.87million

Manchester City are delighted to announce the signing of Benjani Mwaruwari from Portsmouth for £3.87million.

The Zimbabwe striker joins the Blues on a two and a half year deal after passing a medical yesterday and agreeing personal terms.

Further payments could be made if the player makes up to 75 senior starts.

The Premier League and Football Association have approved the transfer, and the 12-goal hitman will go straight into Sven-Goran Eriksson’s squad, taking the number 27 shirt.

He is expected to join his new team mates for training at Carrington today.

The Harare-born player captains his national side, and he played in the Champions League while with Auxerre during his four-year stay with the French side prior to joining Portsmouth in 2006.

Chief Executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "I would like to thank Portsmouth Football Club, the Premier League and the Football Association for their help, understanding and assistance in enabling this transfer to be completed to the satisfaction of all concerned.

"In particular I would like to thank Peter Storrie of Portsmouth and Sir David Richards of the Premier League for their hard work and pragmatism.”

Sven-Goran Eriksson said of the deal: “I am delighted that we have signed such a quality player, and I am looking forward to working with him straight away.”

MCFC have released a news statement denying the deal has been done :bah:

And skysports are usually so spot on with their reports :D

I have heard there were complications with the medical :bah: and that City are trying to get a reduced price for the player?

That'll be Thaksin trying to barter. The prem have never dealt with the Thai way before. G0d help em, we'll probably end up with Benjani, Portsmouth paying us money and a cut of Defoe's fee if he is sold on :D

:o:D:D

Sturridge, Boj, Cas, Benj, Casti - one of them must be decent. Please! With Vass, Sam, Mpenz, waiting in the wings so to speak.

Biggest worry now is that midfield.

Elano - the Man but stopped performing. A luxury to play him.

Ireland - talented, wasteful, lightweight.

Geo - you're allowed to pass the ball you know Geo, try it sometime.

Petrov - talented, another luxury, dangerous to us when defending.

Garrido - Give him a go wide left, looks like he can do a job, especially away.

Johnson - value has gone up more in not playing than playing - the only box-2-box player, brings out the best in Elano.

Hamann - an art of playing the short ball, legs have gone, fouls too much, funny how he wins free-kicks, can't hold a position down next season please.

Gelson - undecided on him, annoying bouncy style, works hard but what kind of player is he - a ball winner or box-2-box player

Need wide right and a holding player for next season.

Sturridge, Boj, Cas, Benj, Casti - one of them must be decent. Please! With Vass, Sam, Mpenz, waiting in the wings so to speak.

Johnson - value has gone up more in not playing than playing - the only box-2-box player, brings out the best in Elano.

Hamann - an art of playing the short ball, legs have gone, fouls too much, funny how he wins free-kicks, can't hold a position down next season please.

Gelson - undecided on him, annoying bouncy style, works hard but what kind of player is he - a ball winner or box-2-box player

I agree.

Right now our creativity is coming from Elano and Petrov.

Even though I am becoming more and more frustrated with them, they are not and cannot be expected to be ball winners/enforcers/hardman/.

So who do we have?

I agree Ireland is too lightweight. Johnson is still learning and is hardly a big man. Hamann, although had a good first half, really is past it.

We need an equivalent of Gattuso or present day Roy Keane

I agree.

Even though I am becoming more and more frustrated with them, they are not and cannot be expected to be ball winners/enforcers/hardman/.

So who do we have?

I agree Ireland is too lightweight. Johnson is still learning and is hardly a big man. Hamann, although had a good first half, really is past it.

I'm sure that Newcastle would let you bu back Joey Deacon, sorry Barton.

I agree.

So who do we have?

I'm sure that Newcastle would let you bu back Joey Deacon, sorry Barton.

I think we'll pass on that Toady. :o

I agree.

So who do we have?

In the main i agree with your points Bred and Jack.

Haman, although without legs, still has great footballing brain, knows everything what's going on around him and knows almost every trick in the book. He knows how to get a free kick awarded. I like him but we do need someone for next season.

I thought Ireland was too lightweight but i think he's starting to hold his own now.

Elano has got to be still carrying some sort of injury, or something else is wrong. He's gone pear shaped recently and so has Petrov. Maybe they're just frustrated with some of the other lads.

dont worry lads you have your cup final on sunday i am sure they will all play blinders.

3-1 to united though lads.

Have you forgotten about losing at our place already nev.

It's your cup final not ours. It's you under pressure, we have already taken 3 points from you. It's upto you guys to try and make it honours even. Worst case scenario for you is we will have taken all 6 points, next is you will have taken 1 point and 4 for us. At the very best you can only make it 3 points each.

Typical RAG statement :o

From the city web site

Ireland feels the derby excitement building

As the countdown to Sunday’s Manchester derby continues, City midfielder Stephen Ireland has revealed that he enjoys the tension and pressure in the days before kick-off.

“Derby weeks are brilliant, you can feel the excitement building up in the city and in the Club. The intensity is there and you can almost feel the pressure,” Ireland said.

And after seeing his team mates record a 1-0 win in the first derby of the season back in August, the 21-year-old is experienced enough to know the importance of such games: “It is the one all the fans want to win and the players are no different.

“These games are huge and a vital part of any young player’s education. It is an amazing contest to be part of."

Despite missing the August victory, Ireland will be looking for similar performance to one he made at Old Trafford last December, where his impact as a half time substitute impressed many.

He added: "I have played in a few derbies now and been lucky enough to have been in a winning side. It is a great feeling and so important.”

If the Blues can make it a derby double, results over the last couple of weeks would be forgiven by all, something Stephen is aware of: “Results haven’t been great of late, but we know what we are capable of and we will not go to Old Trafford fearing them, even though they are in top form.”

Hiya B.J.

I,ve just been reading this via an email i was sent.

Thought you,d like to have a look and trigger a few memories off on times gone by.

There are quite a few golden oldies and officials that i,d long ago put into the old memory bank, until this article reminded me of them again

Many happy days for all football fans of that era, don,t you think.

Top 10 - Manchester Derbies

Tight shorts were all the rage in the 80s

Watch Man Utd v Man City live on Sky Sports 1 from 1pm on Sunday

United 4 City 1, 31st August 1957

It's only fitting as Manchester remembers the 50th anniversary of the Munich Air Disaster that the Busby Babes get a mention, despite the fact this one's not in my living memory.

Roger Byrne, Eddie Colman, David Pegg, Liam Whelan, Duncan Edwards and Tommy Taylor graced the turf against the old enemy for the final time in this game, just five months before their untimely and tragic death in Germany.

The flowers of English football enhanced their growing reputation with a typically consummate performance at Old Trafford, kicking off the defence of their First Division title in fine style.

Goals from Edwards, Taylor, Johnny Berry and Dennis Viollet maintained United's perfect start to the season with sublime ease.

City 2 United 3, 7th November 1993

United went into this game on the back of their European Cup elimination at the hands of Galatasaray, which saw Eric Cantona sent off amidst scenes of violence after the final whistle in Turkey.

Gloating Blue faces and bars of Turkish Delight greeted the flagging champions at Maine Road and City soon stormed into a two-goal lead thanks to two first-half headers from Niall Quinn.

But King Eric led the comeback with two collected finishes and Roy Keane put the bitter blues firmly back in their place with an 87th minute winner.

The result put United back on track and the boys went on to achieve the Premier League and FA Cup double.

United 5 City 0, 10th November 1994

United maintained their dominance over City with a 5-0 drubbing of Brian Horton's no-hopers at Old Trafford.

There was a gulf in class between the teams and Andrei Kanchelskis underlined the point with a hat-trick as United's champagne football won out.

Cantona showed class and a deft touch to score a goal to savour and Mark Hughes also got in on the act in what turned out to be his final season at the Theatre of Dreams.

United went on to do the double over the basement battlers that season, scoring eight unanswered goals in the two league games, to make sure there was no respite for those still crying on the Kippax.

United 4 City 2, 14th February 2004

This one's in there not so much for the result but for the fact Scouse-baiter Gary Neville got sent-off for head-butting Steve McManaman in the first half, and United still won.

Paul Scholes had put The Red Devils ahead before a brace from arch poacher Ruud van Nistelrooy and a Cristiano Ronaldo strike sealed the victory and sent United through to the FA Cup's last 16.

Despite consolation goals for Michael Tarnat and Robbie Fowler, United went on to win the FA Cup that year while City's 30-year wait for a win at Old Trafford continued.

City 0 United 1, 5th May 2007

Edwin van der Sar saved a late penalty as United effectively won the Premier League title at the home of their foes.

Despite playing a beautiful brand of football throughout the season, winning the plaudits and support of football fans along the way, there was still talk amongst City fans of doing Chelsea a favour at Eastlands.

The match was by no means a classic, but it was fitting that Cristiano Ronaldo's penalty should win the game after he had been savagely stamped on by Michael Ball in the first half.

Sir Alex Ferguson went on to lift his ninth title in 15 years as a result, while City have not claimed a major trophy for 31 years - and still counting.

City 5 United 1, 23rd September 1989

Many younger readers will have been protected from this truth which has been washed away by a gushing fountain of hype and nonsense: In the late 80s Manchester United were rubbish.

Plain old Mr Alex Ferguson was struggling to establish a winning formula and a nervy Gary Pallister floundered in defence like a monkey on roller skates. Only the excellence of Mark Hughes kept them afloat.

Sadly, Mel Machin's City were worse, despite the promise of a number of their younger players. So this result was still a massive upset.

Journeymen David Oldfield and Trevor Morley put City two-up in a frantic early spell which included more than enough fisticuffs in the North Stand and a brief evacuation of the pitch.

Ian Bishop's classic diving header made it 3-0 at half time, but a spectacular bicycle kick from Hughes (which I almost clapped) made blue doubts resurface.

When Oldfield tapped in a fourth it was all over and then came the crowning glory - David White's cross, Andy Hinchcliffe's unstoppable header. There have been few better moments watching City in the last 30 years.

City 3 United 3, 27th October 1990

Twelve months on, it nearly happened again. Both teams were much improved - Howard Kendall had given City some quality and steel, with signings such as Peter Reid and Niall Quinn while Fergie's first title-winning team was beginning to take shape and as FA Cup holders they were on their way to lifting the Cup Winners' Cup.

Two goals from David White, the first scrappy, the second brilliantly direct, had City fans dreaming of a glorious repeat. Hughes pulled one back again and after White hit the bar, Colin Hendry exchanged passes with Quinn before stroking his shot past Les Sealey for an exquisite third.

Job done, Kendall took off Reid with 10 minutes to go. His replacement Ian Brightwell immediately lost possession to Brian McClair who raced clear to score. Moments later, McClair headed an equaliser. It should have been another big City win. What it turned out to be was a magnificent, memorable Manchester derby.

City 3 United 1, 9th November 2002

Thirteen years had passed since City had beaten United, but Shaun Goater proved to be the hero of Kevin Keegan's first - and City's last - derby at Maine Road.

Keegan was slow to recognise Goater's Premiership quality and the veteran Bermudian was confined to the bench until mid-October. But after impressing in wins against Birmingham and West Brom he got his chance against the Reds and grabbed it with both hands.

Nicolas Anelka fired City ahead on five minutes after a comedy fumble from the increasingly erratic Fabien Barthez, only for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to level three minutes later. Nobody remembers the mistake by Barthez, however, because of what was to follow.

To most City fans, Gary Neville is the epitome of United's snarling win-at-all-costs mentality, so it was especially sweet that rare embarrassment should visit him at Maine Road. Attempting to usher the ball out of play for a goal-kick, the long-faced, medal-laden full-back lost his bearings and consequently the ball to Goater, who carried it into the area and lashed it beyond a bemused Barthez. Delightful.

Five minutes into the second half the Goat sealed the win, collecting a clever pass from Eyal Berkovic, holding off a feeble challenge from Larry White and lifting his shot over Barthez.

City 4 United 1, 14th March 2004

It's fair to say City fans never really took to Robbie Fowler, Jon Macken and Trevor Sinclair. For a start, they spent much of their time battling chronic injury problems which meant, when they did get on the pitch, they weren't very good at football.

Yet all three dragged themselves out of the treatment room - along with Steve McManaman, Claudio Reyna and Daniel Van Buyten - and onto the pitch to score in a rare humbling of the enemy, thus giving the supporters something other than the over-sized shorts, dodgy knees and vastly inflated price tag (respectively) to remember them by.

It wasn't as one-sided as the score suggests - Cristiano Ronaldo hit the post at 1-0 and David James made some fine saves - but the dazzling last-minute goal by Shaun Wright-Phillips, who scampered down the touchline before crashing a shot in off the bar, made it feel like a rout, and that's good enough for me.

City 3 United 1, 14th January 2006

If only Cristiano Ronaldo would get himself sent off at Eastlands more often. Still, once is a good place to start.

Frustrated that his side were deservedly losing to goals from Trevor Sinclair and Darius Vassell, Ronaldo high-kicked one of his dancing feet into Andy Cole's midrift and was quickly dismissed by Steve Bennett, who had conveniently missed Stephen Jordan's hefty assault on a Portuguese ankle moments earlier.

Riled, United rallied and got one back through Ruud van Nistelrooy, but Robbie Fowler drilled in a third in stoppage time after Vassell ran down a blind alley right to the cheeky Scouser's feet.

Ref url :- http://www.alchemyworx.com/skysports/ezine...p/football2.htm

Good luck to you all and may football be the winner when the final whistle is blown.

marshbags :o

P.S.

Imagine what the Greedy Bastards and officials who presently run English football would do with a fixture like this ???

Unless of course common sense and the use of their ability to f*** the Media right off regarding fixtures overseas takes place.

REMEMBER WHAT OUR GAME IS ALL ABOUT AT HOME....ENGLISH FANS ARE THE PRIORITY / MATTER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

English football fans are once again being tret like shit :D

Edited by marshbags

4-0 to United. :o

If you look at those top 10 in Marshbags post, there's a few drubbings from City. Hopefully, it will be UNited's turn tomorrow night.

We shall see, not long to wait now Toady :D

Only a few more hours, looking forward to the game and a few ciders.

dont worry lads you have your cup final on sunday i am sure they will all play blinders.

I'd like to know where our goal will come from? :D

I love to be proved wrong..

DARIUS VASSELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go on my son.

28 mins gone. Vassell has never been on the losing side when scoring for City :o

28 mins gone. Vassell has never been on the losing side when scoring for City :o

I wouldn't mind that being proved wrong today Jack , that would mean a 9 point gap between Spurs and Man city......getting closer ... :D

I wouldn't mind that being proved wrong today Jack , that would mean a 9 point gap between Spurs and Man city......getting closer ... :D

Well I dont believe City can continue to play as bad as they have over the past few weeks, nor can I see Spurs keep playing as well as they have for the last few games :D

Half way there!!!!!!

I would always fancy our chances against a team fielding both Anderson and Nani :D

We are defending extremely well, and unless Fergie casts a magic spell over them at HT, ITS ALL OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Probably sub Nani/Anderson and give us a game lads :o

Thankyou City....

I care very much about the result but and, am <deleted> off big time that we didn't turn up.

I'm overwhelmed by the respect and silence from the City fans.

FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, THANK YOU. THE MINUTES SILENCE WAS BEAUTIFULLY OBSERVED.

THANKYOU

redrus

Thankyou City....

I care very much about the result but and, am <deleted> off big time that we didn't turn up.

I'm overwhelmed by the respect and silence from the City fans.

FROM THE BOTTOM OF MY HEART, THANK YOU. THE MINUTES SILENCE WAS BEAUTIFULLY OBSERVED.

THANKYOU

redrus

A post from a real sporting gentleman :o

Well done City, a great performance by your players AND supporters

What a result and what a performance.This is the first time City have done the double since the year of my birth(1970)and thus i have never experienced such a high with City than this :D:D:D .All City players were superb but i would single out Stevie Ireland.Hes had his detractors this season but hopefully his display yesterday will make them get off the kids back,he was awesome!!!I would keep him playing there and fuc_k Elano.Let him fight to retain his place,i think this is daddy Dicks best position!!!Now lets go for the big push again for europe.On Yesterdsys display it is more than possibile IMHO!!

GET IN THERE CITY!!!!!! :o