Manchester City

mrbojangles

Well this was a bolt from the Blue :)

From the city web site:-

Sylvinho is pure gold

City are delighted to announce that Brazilian left back Sylvinho has joined the club on a year-long contract.

The highly experienced, highly-rated 35-year-old international defender was released at the end of last season by the European Champions.

He has plenty of Premier League experience having made 55 appearances for Arsenal during a two-year stint at Highbury from 1999-2001.

Sylvinho, who will wear the number 16 shirt vacated by Kasper Schmeichel, is seen as the perfect complement to England left back Wayne Bridge.

Twice a Champions League winner, including last season when he played the entire 90 minutes of the 2-0 victory over Manchester United, and the collector of three La Liga titles whilst in Spain, Sylvinho has also played for Celta Vigo and Corinthians in a career that has seen him win six caps for Brazil.

Boss Mark Hughes is hoping that international clearance will arrive in time for his seventh summer signing to be included in the squad for the Carling Cup tie at Crystal Palace on Thursday night.

“Sylvinho has a wealth of experience at the very top level, having represented Brazil and played for some of the very top clubs in Europe,” declared the boss.

“When the chance presented itself to bring him to Manchester City as a free agent I saw it as representing excellent business for us. Sylvinho won the European Cup last season at Barcelona and he will strengthen our defensive options.”

From the city website:-

City can go supersonic, says Noel

Some might say Noel Gallagher has paid his dues with a lifelong devotion to the Blues. Even so, the Oasis guitarist, to pilfer one of his album titles, can still hardly believe the truth.

Rock and roll star Noel predicts Mark Hughes' new-look City are on their way to being "pretty special" after savouring their performances in the opening games against Blackburn and Wolves.

He wore a trademark grin as he chatted to manager Mark Hughes after the Wolves win - but recalled that he could barely take in the news of the takeover that has transformed the Club.

Noel said: "I was in Calgary, Canada and woke up one morning to find I'd got 98 test messages to turn on the news. It was really early in the morning and I was jetlagged ...

"It (the takeover story) was running along the bottom of the screen but it didn't sink in for about 40 minutes. The whole day was quite mad, surreal.

"But I always knew this day was coming, that we were trawling around in the Third Division for some divine reason and that Whoever would sort it out for us ...

"We used to fill that ground in Moss Side - for York on a Tuesday night we got 29,000. That says it all. This is just the start. They're keeping Mark Hughes and building from the bottom up."

So what's the story, dawning glory? Definitely maybe, says Noel: "A trophy in the next five years would be great, but I'm thinking about the next decade.

"The superstars of world football like Kaka are settled now, but the next generation will be up for grabs. If we can make this club attractive to them, the sky's the limit."

Well, the long drawn out affair is now complete.

City seal Lescott deal

Defender 'over the moon' to seal move

Manchester City have completed the signing of Joleon Lescott from Everton.

Lescott has signed a five-year deal at Eastlands after agreeing personal terms and passing a medical.

The move ends City's long pursuit of the England international with Lescott becoming Mark Hughes' seventh signing of the summer at big-spending City.

Hughes was delighted to finally land the former Wolves man as he looks to build a side capable of challenging for honours

"I am absolutely delighted to welcome Joleon to Manchester City," Hughes told the club's official website.

"He is an England international who has proved his Premier League ability during his time at Everton

"In bringing Joleon to the club I feel we have recruited a defender of the very highest quality.

"He can play in a number of defensive positions, and I'm positive he will make a significant impact for us."

Over the moon

Lescott was relieved to seal the move to City after a long drawn-out process.

"I'm over the moon to get the move completed, and I'm looking forward to training with the lads as I've not trained for a few days," said Lescott.

"I know some of the lads already - I'm close friends with Shaun, we've played against each other since we were 16 or 17. The way this club is moving on, I'm really looking forward to being a part of that."

Lescott is set to go straight into the squad for this weekend's game at Portsmouth.

From skysports:-

Lescott sets top four target

Sylvinho delighted to be back in England

Joleon Lescott has admitted that he joined Manchester City to challenge for a UEFA Champions League spot.

The England international completed a big-money move to Eastlands from Everton on Tuesday, bringing an end to a protracted transfer saga.

He joins a City revolution intended to help the club break into the Premier League's top four this season.

Lescott admits it is that ambition which drew him to Mark Hughes' side, and he feels he has made the right move in order to further his career.

"Everyone outside of the top four are aiming for the same thing and I just feel, at this moment in time, that Manchester City are better equipped to get there quicker than Everton," he said.

"It's been well documented that I wanted the move and I'm delighted it's been done now.

"It's been exciting. I wanted the change. I've moved to Manchester City and I'm glad it's over."

Lescott also responded to criticism from former boss David Moyes, who questioned his attitude, claiming the Toffees boss was wide of the mark.

"I was disappointed in the comments, I feel they're inaccurate," he said.

"I'd like to address them at a later date and talk more positively about my move here.

"I don't think I disrespected any of the players. If I did I apologise."

Lescott was officially unveiled as a City player on Wednesday alongside fellow new recruit Sylvinho.

The experienced full-back joins the Blues as a free agent following his release by Barcelona, and the Brazilian admits he is delighted to be back in England eight years after he left Arsenal for Camp Nou.

"It's a good time to be here. It's an exciting time for the club. I'm really proud to be here again, in the Premier League," he said.

"When I played for Arsenal it improved my game a lot. When you come to the Premier League you improve and play better. I think it will help me again.

"I know I can help with the team and I know they can help me. I know I can help, but I'm not thinking about the first team. I'm just going to do my work and that's it."

Sylvinho has signed a one-year contract with City, but he believes he is capable of competing at the highest level past next summer and has no plans to move into coaching just yet.

"I could play maybe four or five years more. You never know," he smiled.

"I have a contract for a year, so I am very happy. I will just try to help the team. It's a good time to be here at this club. I will help to make the club even bigger than they are.

"I believe in the project and I believe in the coach. I believe we can do a lot of things in the future."

Thank you very much for your long service Dunney. You'll be very much missed :)

Villa swoop for Dunne

Aston Villa have agreed a fee with Manchester City to sign central defender Richard Dunne.

The 29-year-old City skipper is travelling to the Midlands for talks about a move to Villa Park, after nine years with the Eastlands club.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill is trying to bolster his back line before the end of the transfer window, having already lined up a move for Stephen Warnock from Blackburn Rovers.

Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin had also been linked with a move to Villa Park, although any move could be scuppered if Dunne makes the switch to Villa Park.

The Republic of Ireland international has been a first-team regular at City in recent seasons, but following the arrival of Kolo Toure and Joleon Lescott has been forced to consider his options

From sktsports:-

Hughes pleased with Lescott bow

City boss delighted to be through to Carling Cup third round

Mark Hughes felt it was important to quickly get Joleon Lescott into his Manchester City team as the defender made his debut in the Carling Cup win over Crystal Palace.

Lescott completed his protracted move from Everton on Tuesday night and had just one training session with his new team-mates ahead of Thursday's second-round tie at Selhurst Park.

With City having agreed to sell Richard Dunne to Aston Villa, Lescott was pressed into service at centre-half alongside fellow summer signing Kolo Toure.

The England international played his part in City keeping a clean sheet and Hughes was pleased to see his latest recruit in action.

"He had a light training session yesterday and that's all he has had with the team," Hughes told Sky Sports.

"I wasn't sure or not if we could get clearance for him today, but it came through and I thought it was important he started the game.

"I thought he was great."

Second-half goals from Shaun Wright-Phillips and Carlos Tevez secured City's spot in the third round and Hughes acknowledged Palace provided his expensively assembled team with a tough test.

He added: "From our point of view we're delighted with the win and in fairness to Neil (Warnock) and his team they worked really hard for him.

"He's got a lot of young talent there and they were showing a lot of energy and enthusiasm for the game, and they made it difficult. We had to be at the top of our game.

"Until you've got the first goal you are always a little bit concerned that the ball can break to the opposition in the box and things happen from it.

"I thought the lads were very calm and very precise in the second half. We created some great chances, and great play as well, and on another day we could have scored more."

:D

:D:D

pot calling the kettle black :D

Truly amazing. That tw4t has spent 700 mil and now he's had enough of forking out, he's trying to get it stopped. We've only spent 120 mil, which admittedley is a lot but not in comparison to the other top clubs over the past years. And what about Real Madrid, they have spent much more.

Personally, I want Plattini to carry on with this and the other barmy sh1t he comes out with. He think he's untouchable but so did Max Mosely :D

Truly amazing. That tw4t has spent 700 mil and now he's had enough of forking out, he's trying to get it stopped. We've only spent 120 mil, which admittedley is a lot but not in comparison to the other top clubs over the past years. And what about Real Madrid, they have spent much more.

Plattini apart, the thing that's infuriating a lot of people isn't how much Manchester City has thus far spent, they could outspend anyone with pockets deep as oil wells, but in how they are distorting the market in paying over the odds. Look at the example of Lescott. £24 million for a mere England squad player is ludicrous money. To be fair, when Abramovich begun his spending, Chelsea already had a pretty good team to build on. And at least Abramovich does have a passion for the game. Manchester City, however, are trying to buy success from scratch. But if that's the route thye want to go down, which it obviously is, then getting rid of Sven wasn't the best decision ever made. No one can spend money better than he, as his track record at Lazio had proven.

Still, thus far, three out of three isn't a bad start. Hull City did the same last season. :)

Plattini apart, the thing that's infuriating a lot of people isn't how much Manchester City has thus far spent, they could outspend anyone with pockets deep as oil wells, but in how they are distorting the market in paying over the odds.

Many other teams started distorting the markets in paying record transfer fees and record wages, long before we did. In fact, I don't think we have broken any records at all.

Look at the example of Lescott. £24 million for a mere England squad player is ludicrous money.

Chelsea paid that for Shaun Wright-Phillips years ago, when £23/24 mil was a lot of money. And he wasn't even a regular England squad player. Caveat, I still think that we did pay waay too much for Lescott though. :D

then getting rid of Sven wasn't the best decision ever made. No one can spend money better than he,

It was under Thaksins regime that Sven got the heave-ho, so not much our current owners could do about that. :D

Still, thus far, three out of three isn't a bad start. Hull City did the same last season. :D

:)

Plattini apart, the thing that's infuriating a lot of people isn't how much Manchester City has thus far spent, they could outspend anyone with pockets deep as oil wells, but in how they are distorting the market in paying over the odds.

Many other teams started distorting the markets in paying record transfer fees and record wages, long before we did. In fact, I don't think we have broken any records at all.

Look at the example of Lescott. £24 million for a mere England squad player is ludicrous money.

Chelsea paid that for Shaun Wright-Phillips years ago, when £23/24 mil was a lot of money. And he wasn't even a regular England squad player. Caveat, I still think that we did pay waay too much for Lescott though. :D

then getting rid of Sven wasn't the best decision ever made. No one can spend money better than he,

It was under Thaksins regime that Sven got the heave-ho, so not much our current owners could do about that. :D

Still, thus far, three out of three isn't a bad start. Hull City did the same last season. :D

:)

I don't know what happened there. :D But it was worth saying it twice anyway :)

Perhaps "Old-Timers" Disease is sweeping in from the desert, as you're starting to repeat yourself. :D

Sorry, what was we talking about again :D

er, I'll 'av an 'alf, thanks.

1948_beer_mug_cheers.gif

I don't know what happened there. :D But it was worth saying it twice anyway :)

Perhaps "Old-Timers" Disease is sweeping in from the desert, as you're starting to repeat yourself. :D

Sorry, what was we talking about again :D

er, I'll 'av an 'alf, thanks.

1948_beer_mug_cheers.gif

Ooooh ken. You surprise me there. Where I come from, halves are for the wimmin folk :D

Winning when you're a new Team who are not playing particulary great just yet & are still gelling, is the way forward Gentlemen... :)

There is a nice trend developing people... :D

Yep. I'm extremely happy with the way things are progressing Singhy. Before the start of the season I was worried that it could take a couple of months to start gelling and so not get many points. However, although we are not playing as a full unit just yet, we have the individual players with quality who can get us a result.

Although I'd have liked a few more games before playing the big guns, the test will really start in a couple of weeks against Arsenal at home and then Man U away.

Whoever designed that away kit must have been a smoker!

I really like it. The red and black have been part of our away kit for decades. Although I do prefer our dark blue away kit, I'll still be buying both though on my next trip back to blighty. :)

I agree Singhy.

I thin we are only going to wear it 3 or 4 times this season. The remainining away matches will be in the dark blue one.

Here is the write up from the City website on the kit. It's actually a remodelled version of one we had in the 70's:

City can today reveal this season's "third kit" in the brilliant new Umbro range - and it's a classic remastered that will have older Blues fans thinking back to the Seventies.

While the new kit draws its inspiration from the Club's proud history and an element of familiarity, it is a superb design for today rather than simply an exercise in nostalgia.

The shirt has a black and red sash across a white base with the team sponsor subtly located under the crest, but the sash slants in the opposite direction to those on previous designs.

David Blanch, senior designer at Umbro, said: "The third kit is very special, a modern interpretation of City's original sash design. However, we have moved the sash to the other side.

"One of the reasons for doing this is because we wanted to draw attention to the crest, which was done with the full support of the Club and the Club Sponsor Etihad.

"I'm really pleased with the final product because it makes such a statement. I'd like to think that this kit demonstrates that a sponsor can enhance a design rather than compromise it."

The remastered version of this City classic, worn with distinction by such Blues stars as Dennis Tueart and Gary Owen, will make its Premier League debut at Portsmouth on Sunday.

City CEO Garry Cook said: "We're really pleased with the look of the third shirt, and it completes a fantastic range of products we now have for both players and fans.

"The initial reaction we've had to the design has been incredible. I think this season's third shirt is quickly going to become a true Manchester City classic."

I agree Singhy.

I thin we are only going to wear it 3 or 4 times this season. The remainining away matches will be in the dark blue one.

Here is the write up from the City website on the kit. It's actually a remodelled version of one we had in the 70's:

City can today reveal this season's "third kit" in the brilliant new Umbro range - and it's a classic remastered that will have older Blues fans thinking back to the Seventies.

While the new kit draws its inspiration from the Club's proud history and an element of familiarity, it is a superb design for today rather than simply an exercise in nostalgia.

The shirt has a black and red sash across a white base with the team sponsor subtly located under the crest, but the sash slants in the opposite direction to those on previous designs.

David Blanch, senior designer at Umbro, said: "The third kit is very special, a modern interpretation of City's original sash design. However, we have moved the sash to the other side.

"One of the reasons for doing this is because we wanted to draw attention to the crest, which was done with the full support of the Club and the Club Sponsor Etihad.

"I'm really pleased with the final product because it makes such a statement. I'd like to think that this kit demonstrates that a sponsor can enhance a design rather than compromise it."

The remastered version of this City classic, worn with distinction by such Blues stars as Dennis Tueart and Gary Owen, will make its Premier League debut at Portsmouth on Sunday.

City CEO Garry Cook said: "We're really pleased with the look of the third shirt, and it completes a fantastic range of products we now have for both players and fans.

"The initial reaction we've had to the design has been incredible. I think this season's third shirt is quickly going to become a true Manchester City classic."

Gary Cooke in talking sense shock horror.. :)

Sorry, only pulling your chain..

I agree with him, classic Kit, very retro, very smart & the Badge looked superb as did the Sponsor which complimented the Badge within the Design..

I agree Singhy.

post-15680-1251730173_thumb.png

Those were the days...... Gary Owen

Ade feeling the love at City

Striker relishing backing from new club's supporters

Emmanuel Adebayor has revealed his free-scoring start at Manchester City has been inspired by the 'love' he has received from the club's supporters.

The Togo international endured a difficult last campaign after falling out with sections of Arsenal fans, and his dip in form was followed by a summer move to Eastlands.

Adebayor, who cost City £25million, has since scored three goals in as many Premier League games and explained that he is enjoying his football at his new side.

"As soon as you play for a team where the fans love you and are always behind you, you try to give them something back," he said.

"That is what I have been showing since I joined this club. It is the same with new players like Carlos Tevez and Gareth Barry - with the support from the fans, that motivates and makes you a special player."

He added: "We have three wins, three clean sheets, nine points - for us the most important thing is believing we can do something good.

"We'll see where the season takes us. We have to keep enjoying ourselves."

Had a bad time at City. And now extremely surplus to requirements.

Pompey in Ben-Haim talks

City defender targeted to replace Distin

Sky Sports sources understand Portsmouth are in talks to sign Manchester City defender Tal Ben-Haim.

Portsmouth are desperate to bolster their squad before the transfer window closes and they have lined up a move for the experienced stopper.

Ben-Haim is well down the pecking order at Eastlands and the summer signings of Joleon Lescot and Kolo Toure have seen him drop further out of the picture in Mark Hughes' plans.

The Israeli international had a spell on loan at Sunderland last season and City are prepared to let him move on again.

Portsmouth see Ben-Haim as the ideal replacement for Sylvain Distin following his departure to Everton last week.