Manchester City

mrbojangles

I'd love to know where that figure comes from, it's been banded about quite a bit and it's just pure hype. The actual figure is about £120 mil. Yeah of course it's still alot but don't forget they are also a young team who have just been put together. Micah Richards, Adebayor, Robinho and Stevie Ireland were also missing last night. And Micheal Johnson, Santa Cruz and Petrov have only just come back from lenghty injuries.

:)

What's a bid for Kaka between Friends anyway ?? :D

Thought City played well, best i've seen them play this Season..

But we're not a good side AND were understrenghthed & i actually thought it would have been more when i saw the 2 CB's we had playing, double with the fact that both of our Full Backs were regulary beaten ..

I was just saying to my Pal that i class 5 Teams now as " Bonsu Points " & City are one of them, what i mena by that is that Teams/Clubs like us just simply can not compete with them & any points we get from the 10 Games against them are just bonus Points..

& that's what the modern day Permiership is all about these days, don't you just love it ??

I'd love to know where that figure comes from, it's been banded about quite a bit and it's just pure hype. The actual figure is about £120 mil. Yeah of course it's still alot but don't forget they are also a young team who have just been put together. Micah Richards, Adebayor, Robinho and Stevie Ireland were also missing last night. And Micheal Johnson, Santa Cruz and Petrov have only just come back from lenghty injuries.

:D

But we're not a good side AND were understrenghthed & i actually thought it would have been more when i saw the 2 CB's we had playing, double with the fact that both of our Full Backs were regulary beaten ..

I was just saying to my Pal that i class 5 Teams now as " Bonsu Points " & City are one of them, what i mena by that is that Teams/Clubs like us just simply can not compete with them & any points we get from the 10 Games against them are just bonus Points..

& that's what the modern day Permiership is all about these days, don't you just love it ??

Only 5 Singhy :)

:D

Only 5 Singhy :)

Well of course if the League was made up of Teams of the quality of Burnley, Hull, Doncaster & Preston EVERY week, then there may be 6... :D

:)

I didn't think you played that bad Singhy. That offside, that wasn't could have made it a different story.

From the City website:-

No Further Ban for Ade :)

Emmanuel Adebayor has avoided a Football Association ban for his goal celebration against Arsenal.

The Blues top scorer has instead been fined £25,000 and handed a two-match suspended sentence which will expire in December 2010.

The FA reached their verdict after a three and a half hour hearing in London this afternoon.

City boss Mark Hughes was delighted with the conclusion.

“There has been a lot said and written about Emmanuel’s goal celebration. We are just glad to put it all behind us now and I am relieved he will be able to play at Aston Villa on Monday night,” he declared.

“Manu was in great form before his suspension and having him available again is a huge boost to us.”

Emmanuel Adebayor has avoided a Football Association ban for his goal celebration against Arsenal.

Good. The pundits had predicted another one or two match ban.

Now perhaps they'll look again at that pathetic rule about players not taking their shits off to celebrate a goal without a getting yellow card. What do they want robot football ?

Now perhaps they'll look again at that pathetic rule about players not taking their shits off to celebrate a goal without a getting yellow card. What do they want robot football ?

I totally concur HH. I also remember SWP getting a yellow for ripping off his shirt after he scored, even though he was wearing a T-Shirt under neath :)

Shits? You must be taking the piss! :)

Worth posting twice, i think. :)

Picture the scene............

Man Uniteds dressing room minutes before kick off in the derby and the reds are about to get their teamtalk.

"Right lads I want 110% commitment from the word go against this blue <deleted>.. Remember how the bast4rds did us on the anniversary of the Munich disaster. If you don't win, those Cockney fekkers at Chelsea will have 6 points on us. Now I don't care if you kick, punch or headbutt your'e way to victory, you must win this. Good luck"

Then Fergie walks in and says "thanks ref, I'll take it from here"

It tickled me anyway :D

Shits? You must be taking the piss! :D

Daft sod. It doesn't take much nous to work out a what's meant beyond an obvious typing error. :)

Good game last night and the only fair result.

I like the way Villa fans were waving money at Barry, obviously not enough though.

Yeah, I think so. We only really got going when we went one behind.

I liked the way the City fans clapped Dunne after he scored. He didn't celebrate and the City fans respected that. Shame the Villa fans didn't recognise the service Barry put in at their club.

I liked the way the City fans clapped Dunne after he scored. He didn't celebrate and the City fans respected that. Shame the Villa fans didn't recognise the service Barry put in at their club.

Sorry Mr BJ, past my bedtime, you mean Dunne didn't run the entire length of the field to celebrate?

The thing is with Barry, tat everyone thought that he was a dead cert to go for Champions League football and join Liverpool, as was his stated intention. That he became just another football mecernary grates with Villa supporters and that's why they printed false money (I think :) ) with his picture on to wave to him.

I think that you'll have to get used to the resentment here, mr bj, that many just don't like buying success and particularly when one of your own players joins a club for the bigger dollar alone. I suppose that even in this age when loyalty means little in reality, that football supporters still find joining a club for the money alone an anathema.

Sorry Mr BJ, past my bedtime, you mean Dunne didn't run the entire length of the field to celebrate?

Makes you think doesn't it.

Dunne by all accounts gets routinely dismissed from City having given many years of loyal service, yet feels uncomfortable about rubbing anyone's nose in it, whilst Ade plotted his departure from the Gunners for a season or two before landing a big money deal that met his satisfaction at City, and then feels the urge to taunt and tease his old club. Shows the difference in class that separates these two people.

I think that you'll have to get used to the resentment here, mr bj, that many just don't like buying success and particularly when one of your own players joins a club for the bigger dollar alone. I suppose that even in this age when loyalty means little in reality, that football supporters still find joining a club for the money alone an anathema.

Not really me who has to get used to it and i suppose it was water off a Ducks back to Barry also. It's just that i liked the way the City fans appreciated what Dunney has done, even though he scored.

As for Barry coming for money alone, his view is that Hughes sold to him the vision of the club and he liked the project. Obviously money plays a big part, after all, they only have a short career but it wasn't only that.

Not really me who has to get used to it and i suppose it was water off a Ducks back to Barry also...

I'm not so sure about that. I thought that he had a poor game last night, for whatever reason. Although I suspect that it got to him.

As for Barry coming for money alone, his view is that Hughes sold to him the vision of the club and he liked the project.

Well he would wouldn't he :)

As for Barry coming for money alone, his view is that Hughes sold to him the vision of the club and he liked the project.

Of course he would, if it was true and is his reason for coming. I doubt very much that he came ONLY for our great Beers and fine Pies :D

Shits? You must be taking the piss! :D

Daft sod. It doesn't take much nous to work out a what's meant beyond an obvious typing error. :)

I like the way Villa fans were waving money at Barry, obviously not enough though.

You're not thick are you treacle? :D

Of course he would, if it was true and is his reason for coming. I doubt very much that he came ONLY for our great Beers and fine Pies :D

I really though that in his position that he'd have said something along the lines of : "I've reconsidered saying that I want Champions League football this season, and given that Liverpool were keen on my signature was mistaken in thinking that the best option. Instead I've opted to play for Manchester City who are by no means certain of even gaining a place in Europe , let alone the Champions league next season. My reason ? That I think that Mark Hughes is a very, very nice man and it has absolutely nothing , I repeat NOTHING whatsoever to do with a more lucrative salary offered by Manchester City.

Also that I find meat pies more a gastronomic delight than balti pies." :D

Just been reading an article on Kolo Toure and the poverty in which he was brought up. Then he talks about the Ivory Coast and the African Cup of Nations starting in Jan. There are gonna be a lot of teams missing key players.

Clubs who stand to lose their African stars are:

Arsenal - Song (Cameroon), Eboue (Ivory Coast).

Bolton - Shittu (Nigeria).

Burnley - Bikey (Cameroon).

Chelsea - Essien (Ghana), Mikel (Nigeria), Drogba, Kalou (both Ivory Coast).

Everton - Yobo, Yakubu (both Nigeria).

Fulham - Pantsil (Ghana), Etuhu (Nigeria).

Hull - Cousin (Gabon), Ghilas (Algeria), Olofinjana (Nigeria).

Man City - Adebayor (Togo), Toure (Ivory Coast).

Portsmouth - Utaka, Kanu (both Nigeria), Mokoena (South Africa), Dindane (Ivory Coast).

Sunderland - Mensah (Ghana).

Tottenham - Assou-Ekotto, Bassong (Cameroon).

Stoke - Sidibe (Mali).

I suppose the one that really stands out, is Pompey. Look at the doo daa they are already in and then how many players they will lose. :)

OK, players have and want to go and play for their country but with this comp being played every year, it will surely get to a stage were teams will have to think long and hard as to whether they will sign players from Africa. Especially with the new rules coming in next year.

Edited by mrbojangles

• 2 weeks later...

TRANSFER TALK

Robinho set for January swap move to Barcelona?

By Harry Harris and Soccernet staff

October 15, 2009

Comment

Email

Print

Robinho will be the star turn in a £80 million swap shop centering on Barcelona and Manchester City in January, if intermediaries already working on the spectacular deal get their way.

• Turner: Early birds eye signings

GlynKirk./GettyImages

Robinho: Currently out injured for City

Robinho will be offered as a makeweight to lure some of Barcelona's biggest stars to Manchester City's relentless, ambitious, money-no- object push for Champions League football. Manchester City will offer Robinho plus cash to chose from the likes of Thierry Henry, Carles Puyol, Yaya Toure and Eric Abidal.

Barca have an array of superstars they could offer, but do not have the straight £32 million cash City would demand, in order to get their money back for the Brazilian they bought from Real Madrid.

A leading high-powered players broker close to Barca told ESPN Soccernet: "Robinho wants to go, and I think that City have had enough of him and would let him got. Barcelona want him but don't have the kind of money to tempt City, but do have plenty of players that would interest Mark Hughes. I can see a big swap deal in January."

Robinho has been a handful from the moment he joined City, and is reported to have thought he was heading to United when told Manchester had out-bid Chelsea on the transfer deadline just over a year ago. Now, Robinho has made it perfectly plain he wants to join Barca. and play alongside the treble-winning superstars at the Nou Camp.

Robinho has publicly stated his burning desire to join up with the likes of Argentina playmaker Lionel Messi. "Of course I'd enjoy playing for Barca." he told Spanish newspaper El Mundo Deportivo. "Who wouldn't? We could have so much fun. It would be a pleasure to play alongside Messi, my compadre Dani Alves, Xavi, (Andres) Iniesta, (Zlatan) Ibrahimovic, with them all.

"They're a great team. I played against them and know their quality. But right now I can only do it on the PlayStation."

The Brazil international insists neither he nor his agent - dad Gilvan de Souza - have been informed of any bid from Barcelona. But ESPN Soccernet has learned that Barca will equal the extortionate wages he earns at City. While there has been no direct deal struck by the clubs, the usual preliminaries are now underway to make Robinho's move back to Spain a reality.

However, City boss Mark Hughes' demands for new players to replace Robinho will ensure it will be a spectacular January transfer window, whether those players come from Barca or elsewhere.

Though Robinho insisted it would be "wrong to talk about this hypothetical transfer" until there was a formal offer, he could not resist heaping praise on the Catalans. "It is a pleasure to see Barca play, they seem to be like Brazilians in how they use the ball," he said. "Pep Guardiola's team are real entertainers."

Nou Camp boss Guardiola has concerns about his left flank. The club failed in bids for several players during the summer window and wants to rectify the situation this winter. Technical secretary Txiki Begiristain admitted that Robinho is an attractive option because he would not be cup-tied for the Champions League knock-out phase.

Barca and City are understood to have discussed the transfer of Robinho when they met in a friendly at the Nou Camp in August, but they could not come to an agreement then, but now seem sure to sort something out in the forthcoming two months ahead of the January window.

City were told that a part-exchange for Messi was out of the question and the 22-year-old Argentine has since signed a new contract until 2016 with a buy-out clause of £230 million. But other players mentioned were former Arsenal star Henry and veteran captain Puyol. Hughes would not be averse to losing Robinho, if he can bring players of that quality.

Robinho was the Abu Dhabi money men's impact signing on the day their buy-out was revealed in September 2008. City shelled out a British record £34m to take him from Real Madrid from under the noses of Chelsea's then chief executive Peter Kenyon, much to the annoyance of manager Luiz Felipe Scolari.

"It is not a question of being loaned or transferred, whether in the winter or the summer," Robinho said. "It is a matter of sitting down and talking about it when there is a concrete offer, which, I repeat, I am not personally aware of. When that happens, we can talk. I don't want to be misinterpreted. It is clear that I have a contract with City and I owe it to them to be professional.

"It's no secret that there was clear interest from Barca (in the summer), but Manchester City would not enter negotiations. I believed that I was not transferable and so I focused on doing my best for City. We are thinking big, we have built a very strong team aiming to win the Premier League with (Carlos) Tevez, (Emmanuel) Adebayor, (Joleon) Lescott and (Gareth) Barry."

Brazil and Barca full back Dani Alves had said Robinho would be very welcome and would offer his team different options. Robinho replied: "Dani is a phenomenon. With Alves I have very good vibes. I am delighted with how well he has done at Barca. He deserves it, he's a great guy and excellent footballer. I am still up to date with Spanish football and left many friends in Spain. When I meet with many of them in the Brazil team we talk at length. We are used to exchanging text messages or calling each other."

Told he was admired by Guardiola, Robinho responded: "It is an honour that a coach such as him speaks highly of Robinho. I read that he values me. I thank him from the heart."

Told he was admired by Guardiola, Robinho responded: "It is an honour that a coach such as him speaks highly of Robinho. I read that he values me. I thank him from the heart."

Oh dear. Did he really just refer to himself in the third person?!

I've said it before... players who start talking about other clubs in the way that Robinho has make me very bored. Is it too much to ask to show a little respect to the club that pays your wages? These guys just can't seem to keep their mouths shut.

Manchester City manager Mark Hughes insisted Robinho has a long-term future at Eastlands after speculation linking him with a move away from the club.

GettyImages

Mark Hughes: determined to hold on to the Brazilian.

The Brazilian forward, currently sidelined with a stress fracture of the ankle, has been linked with a move to Barcelona. However, Hughes is intent on hanging on to £32.5million buy from Real Madrid.

"There is always speculation and noise surrounding Robinho," Hughes said. "That has been the case since he came to the club. He is a great guy. We are not in the process of taking outstanding players out of the team.

"We want to complement the outstanding players at the club. We are looking to build, not dismantle.''

Robinho will again be sidelined for the Barclays Premier League match against Wigan on Sunday at the DW Stadium. But he could make his comeback in the Carling Cup match against Scunthorpe in a fortnight.

Hughes said Robinho is anxious to return and added: "The only frustration he has at the moment is that he is not fit and well. I hope that will be resolved in the next week to 10 days, and he will be back on the pitch.''

The Manchester City boss was also keen to point out that he is not operating a rotating door policy at Eastlands and insisted the transfer merry-go-round of the summer months will not be repeated in January. "What people must understand is that our business in the last window was unprecedented," Hughes said. "That will not happen again. This notion that we will throw money at whatever player, that is not the case.

"We do not feel we need to go into the market to the extent we did in the last two windows. It about looking at players for areas of the team that still need strengthening. Those are the ones we will target. It will not be wholesale comings and goings, I can assure you of that.''

• 2 weeks later...

From skysports:-

Hughes pleased for Santa Cruz

City boss hoping team can continue to progress in Carling Cup

Mark Hughes expects Roque Santa Cruz to become an important player for Manchester City after the striker scored his first goal for the club against Scunthorpe United.

Santa Cruz has been hampered by injury since his move from Blackburn Rovers in the summer and he had been restricted to three substitute appearances prior to Wednesday's Carling Cup fourth round tie.

However, Santa Cruz marked his first start for the club with his first goal as he headed City back in front in the first half before Hughes' side ran out convincing 5-1 winners.

And though Hughes has a wealth of options up front this season, the City boss is predicting Paraguayan ace Santa Cruz, who had been suffering from tonsillitis over the past week, will be a key player.

"He was really ill over the weekend and we had been looking to get him involved at the weekend on the bench, but he just couldn't make it," Hughes told Sky Sports.

"I was really pleased for him. It's important whenever a striker comes to a club that he gets off the mark and I thought his all-round game was excellent.

"I know the quality he has and I was pleased today that he has been able to demonstrate that to everyone in the stadium, and he's going to be a really important player for us as the season progresses."

Second-half goals from Joleon Lescott, Carlos Tevez and Michael Johnson eventually put Scunthorpe to the sword after the Championship side had drawn level in the first half following Stephen Ireland's early opener for the hosts.

Hughes said: "I think it's important to get the game out of the way and credit to Scunthorpe, they played some good stuff at times.

"That was a bit of a consequence of the way we approached the first half as we gave them too much time and space, but the second half was much more like what I wanted.

"We had more intensity and were a lot more dynamic and, as a consequence, we ran away with the game."

City are now in the quarter-finals and Hughes believes the club are in with a chance of lifting a major piece of silverware for the first time in over 30 years.

"There are a number of big teams still left in the competition and a number of them are focusing on this competition this year," continued the Welshman.

"Sometimes some of the big clubs view it as an irrelevance, but I don't think that's the case this year.

"They would like to win this trophy, as we would ourselves."

From skysports:-

City Cruz past Scunthorpe

Paraguayan ace off the mark in Carling Cup romp

Roque Santa Cruz scored his first goal for Manchester City as the Premier League's big spenders crushed Scunthorpe United 5-1 to reach the quarter-finals of the Carling Cup.

Paraguay striker Santa Cruz has struggled with injury since his arrival from Blackburn in the summer, but he marked his first start for the club by restoring City's first-half lead after Scunthorpe had briefly drawn level.

City enjoyed a dream start on home soil as Stephen Ireland effortlessly curled his shot from the edge of the area inside the upright after just three minutes.

But Championship side Scunthorpe played some neat stuff at times and equalised on 26 minutes after a quick exchange of passes resulted in Jonathan Forte scoring from close range.

Mark Hughes' men were back in front before half-time, though, when Santa Cruz was picked out unmarked by Pablo Zabaleta's right-wing cross, and he headed back across goal and beyond Iron keeper Joe Murphy.

Joleon Lescott headed City's third goal from a Shaun Wright-Phillips corner on 56 minutes and Carlos Tevez turned home from close range after a quickly-taken corner on 71 minutes.

The rout was completed on 77 minutes when substitute Michael Johnson - making just his second appearance in over a year - lashed home a left-footed shot from 25 yards to send City through to the last eight with a flourish.

City made six changes from the side that drew with Fulham on Saturday.

Kolo Toure and Martin Petrov were both injured, with Micah Richards, Wayne Bridge and Craig Bellamy on the bench and Emmanuel Adebayor rested.

Scunthorpe had David Mirfin back after a bout of sickness. Martin Woolford also came into the starting line-up, Jordan Spence and Sam Togwell reverting to the bench.

Scunthorpe had 4,000 noisy fans with them, and they were boosted by a second minute drive from Paul Hayes that Shay Given saved, with some difficulty, to his left.

But a minute later Scunthorpe were guilty of standing and watching as City swept into their half, Wright-Phillips finding Ireland to his left.

The midfielder cruised on, unchallenged by any defender to calmly guide the ball past Murphy from the edge of the box.

Wright-Phillips twice soon after could have extended the lead with efforts from the edge of the box.

Scunthorpe were barely able to get out of their half at this stage, such was the pace and pressure of City's attacks. But they were competitive and organised and they weathered the initial storm.

When Scunthorpe did get into a danger area, they scored an outstanding equaliser after 26 minutes.

Nigel de Jong gave the ball away in midfield, and it was swept out to Marcus Williams, racing away on the left. His neat ball into the six-yard box evaded Lescott and found Forte, who finished with ease from a couple of yards.

Hayes had a great chance with a header, saved by Given, before Ireland sent in Wright-Phillips for a shot that Murphy blocked with his legs.

But Scunthorpe had lost their star-struck look by now and were moving forward with a growing confidence. Hayes again, arriving on the far post for a hook shot wide, had City stretched as the Iron continued to grow in confidence.

But City were back in the lead after 38 minutes. Zabaleta sped down the right, wrong-footing Hayes as he went. And when the cross arrowed into the box, Santa Cruz stepped away from Woolford before rising to plant a headed back into the far corner.

Scunthorpe replaced skipper Rob Jones with Niall Canavan at the break. And they were still prepared to run at City's back-line.

But the quality of City's attacking play almost produced a third when Ireland raced through from midfield before slipping the ball to Tevez, the shot deflecting inches wide.

Then the impressive Ireland created another opening, setting up Santa Cruz for a drive beaten away by Murphy. And it took a header almost on the line to stop a cross reaching Ireland.

But from the resulting corner from Wright-Phillips, Lescott rose unchallenged 12 yards out to guide a fine header into the top corner to give City the breathing space they wanted after 56 minutes.

Canavan then had to kick off the line from Ireland, as the midfielder rolled a shot wide of Murphy. City sent on 19-year-old Vladimir Weiss in place of Ireland.

Scunthorpe wilted now under the constant pressure, and Tevez crowned a fine display of ceaseless running by prodding home another corner after 71 minutes, again criminally unmarked.

It was a cruise now, and substitute Johnson - coming on for only his second game of the season in place of Gareth Barry - unleashed a rising 25-yarder that soared into the top corner for the fifth.

Tevez was replaced by Benjani after 78 minutes, to a deserved standing ovation as City threatened to run riot at the end.