Manchester City

mrbojangles

Just spotted that you mention a weekend visit BB. That implies limited time for looking around. Has to be Wandsworth in my book - it's real London and Brentford will be dead at weekends in comparison.

You need a lot of pre-research to plan such a short visit to London. With a family including kids my essentials would be:

• A river trip covering at least the Houses of Parliament to Tower Bridge. I used to introduce London to foreign house-guests by taking a boat from Putney pier to Tower Bridge, but I don't know whether that still runs
  • A quick peek at Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament/Westminster Abbey
  • Walk from Trafalgar Square up thru Leicester Square to Picadilly then up Regent Street and along Oxford Street to Marble Arch. Jump on the very regular buses when younger (or older) kids get fractious.
  • Take a bus (scheduled - route 11) from Trafalgar Square to Liverpool Street - you will see The Strand/Aldwych (spot the theatres), Fleet Street, St Paul's Cathedral and the City (which will be very quiet at weekends)
  • A walk around the South Bank at Tower Bridge (street performers/free theatre and great views) across Tower Bridge and around the Tower
  • Petticoat Lane market (Sunday morning) plus curry buffet in Brick Lane/environs, or Notting Hill + Portobello Road on Saturday, or Camden Market all weekend

Those are all free except the first. The London Eye (wheel) is far too expensive. Madame Tussaud's is expensive but kids and wives love it. Free to look inside St Pauls Cathedral and Westminster Abbey - or at least it used to be.

I lived in London for 30 years until 2008 - Portobello Road, Putney, Bromley and Tower Bridge. Not a place to retire to but a great city and writing about it makes me miss it!

walk up as far as london bridge and go to borough market. one of my favourite places in london that.

Yep. Globe, Wheatsheaf and Market Porter within 50 yards of each other. Tough place to leave tho'thumbsup.gif

Overnight to Euston...Brekkie in staff cafe underneath at 5am, then 1st tube to The Wheatsheaf for 6:30am pre game drinks....The Good Old (away) Daysbiggrin.png

if u want to add a touch of culture the.natiional galleries on trafalger square are both free. Also the Borough food market is an excellent wander and the nearby awesome.river side tate modern, free again and has a top floor cafe with terrace that has amazing veiws .

at this rate i'm going to have to book a flight. Catch the end of summer, check out the old haunts, possibly buy smoke lunch because he's a jock and won't pay

Might even coincide it with our opening fixture at Pikey Park. Singher should be around for a pre match pint or two.!

Anyway, off topic, so back up north and all things whippets, racing pigeons and flat caps!

Edited by carmine

Can't believe this thread is turning into a Cockney love in tongue.png

possibly buy smoke lunch because he's a jock and won't pay

Ain't that the truth. Should have seen his Rob Roy impression when I lent over the table and he thought I was gonna steal a Chip laugh.png

Singher should be around for a pre match pint or two.!

Is Singher still around? I liked his posts, he was value for money.

Can't believe this thread is turning into a Cockney love in tongue.png

possibly buy smoke lunch because he's a jock and won't pay

Ain't that the truth. Should have seen his Rob Roy impression when I lent over the table and he thought I was gonna steal a Chip laugh.png

Singher should be around for a pre match pint or two.!

Is Singher still around? I liked his posts, he was value for money.

Haven't seen him for a while now so if i do get over i'll definitely try to get in touch because he won't miss that game if he's in town. Neither would i, although it smells down there and its a horrid ground!biggrin.png

at this rate i'm going to have to book a flight. Catch the end of summer, check out the old haunts, possibly buy smoke lunch because he's a jock and won't pay

Might even coincide it with our opening fixture at Pikey Park. Singher should be around for a pre match pint or two.!

Anyway, off topic, so back up north and all things whippets, racing pigeons and flat caps!

I'm in my summer island retreat carms....welcome to join me for some espetadas...

Manchester City 2 Liverpool 2: (Liverpool win 3-1 on penalties)

In-form Montenegrin Stevan Jovetic scored both City's goals either side of Jordan Henderson's effort before Raheem Sterling's late equaliser. City's opener came courtesy of a defensive blunder from Steven Gerrard. At that point there was a definite sense of deja-vu in the air, but this time Liverpool pulled it back.

City lost the penalty shoot-out 3-1 after Aleks Kolarov, Yaya Toure and Jesus Navas' missed, meaning Kelechi's Iheanacho's cool effort was just a consolation.

Wednesday 30 July 2014, 7:00PM

Yankee Stadium Att:49,653

Guinness International Champions Cup

Manchester City:

Caballero (Hart 46), Clichy (Richards 70), Kolarov, Boyata, Nastasic, Fernando, Navas, Zuculini, Milner (Iheanacho 46), Jovetic (Yaya Toure 70), Dzeko (Sinclair 46)

Unused subs:

TBC

Liverpool:

Jones (Mignolet 90), Kelly (Robinson 46), Enrique (Johnson 46), Coates, K Toure, Gerrard (Lucas 76), Coutinho, Sturridge (Sahko 76), Henderson, Allen (Can 65), Lambert (Sterling 46)

Unused subs:

TBC

Mignolet came on after 46m mate and not just for the penalty shootout (We don't need Rodgers getting the Van Gaal hero treatment thanks)biggrin.png

Manchester City could send youngsters to New York City FC

Manchester City are planning to send young players to develop at their Major League Soccer franchise in the USA.

New York City FC, who signed England midfielder Frank Lampard from Chelsea in July, are owned by Man City and baseball giants New York Yankees.

"We have some bright players. We might ask them to come to New York before they play at Manchester," City chief executive Ferran Soriano told ESPN.

I must admit I wasn't surprised at this development. The season doesn't start till March, so he'll need playing time. I think we'll be seeing lots more of this type of thing with this partnership. Seeing as we have to comply with FFP, I just hope NYC buy Messi for us to loan tongue.png

I must admit I wasn't surprised at this development. The season doesn't start till March, so he'll need playing time. I think we'll be seeing lots more of this type of thing with this partnership. Seeing as we have to comply with FFP, I just hope NYC buy Messi for us to loan tongue.png

You don't need him mate...you have David Villa as back up for fat Frank aka #kissthebadgetongue.png

• Like 1

That has to be one of the worst penalties of all time. I hung my head in disbelief when he took it. Funny how it was also all the English players who missed their penalties. Milner, Richards and Sinclair.

That has to be one of the worst penalties of all time. I hung my head in disbelief when he took it. Funny how it was also all the English players who missed their penalties. Milner, Richards and Sinclair.

Well its really a case of most English players being very overpriced, over rated, technically poor, ill disciplined and seemingly bottle it when the going gets tough. Lets face it, you need to man up for penalties but the English players can't even do that in a friendly.

No surprise English players only comprise about 30% of the premier league and probably why the Bundesliga is made up of 75% German players

• Like 1

Well its really a case of most English players being very overpriced, over rated, technically poor, ill disciplined and seemingly bottle it when the going gets tough. Lets face it, you need to man up for penalties but the English players can't even do that in a friendly.

No surprise English players only comprise about 30% of the premier league and probably why the Bundesliga is made up of 75% German players

Couldn't agree more Carms

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has questioned Manchester City's signing of Frank Lampard.

Midfielder Lampard, 36, will join City on a six-month loan deal from Major League Soccer franchise New York City - one of three clubs affiliated to the Premier League champions.

Last season, City received sanctions on their squad after breaching Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations.

"Is it a way to get around the fair play? I don't know," said Wenger.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28635053

Edited by uptheos

2 players for every position Blue.

Mourinho policy.

Thumbs up.

oh he invented it did he? never knew that. could have sworn other managers with similarly absurd budgets had been doing it for years before.

Edited by StevieH

Wow, just realised that we're off again this weekend...bring it on...the end of my boring weekends, YES!

The Football Association can confirm that the 2014 Community Shield between Arsenal and Manchester City will take place at Wembley Stadium on Sunday 10 August at 3pm
Read more at http://www.thefa.com/news/competitions/fa-community-shield/2014/jun/community-shield-date-set-for-arsenal-and-manchester-city-170614#hisqZZdROdXQELMS.99

Mourinho policy.

Thumbs up.

oh he invented it did he? never knew that. could have sworn other managers with similarly absurd budgets had been doing for years before.

yep and guess what, if van Gaal doesn't do that too then P45's a dutchman!.

In the previous match it was three foreigners who missed the penalties so it's not just the English players who are guilty.

Maybe the whole City team needs to practice kicking a ball straight from a mere twelve yards whistling.gifwai2.gif

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has questioned Manchester City's signing of Frank Lampard.

Midfielder Lampard, 36, will join City on a six-month loan deal from Major League Soccer franchise New York City - one of three clubs affiliated to the Premier League champions.

Last season, City received sanctions on their squad after breaching Uefa's Financial Fair Play regulations.

Dumb statement by Arsene as isn't EVERY transfer inbound these days done with PRIOR consideration of fair play...moaning Arsene as usual.

Mourinho policy.

Thumbs up.

oh he invented it did he? never knew that. could have sworn other managers with similarly absurd budgets had been doing for years before.

yep and guess what, if van Gaal doesn't do that too then P45's a dutchman!.

van P45

• Like 1

In the previous match it was three foreigners who missed the penalties so it's not just the English players who are guilty.

Maybe the whole City team needs to practice kicking a ball straight from a mere twelve yards whistling.gifwai2.gif

I saw Micah Richards penalty last night and he won't be the first or the last to blast over the bar will he. One thing about Micah though, watch his kicking mechanism as it ain't good; he's def not a natural (same as Lescott, both kick through the ball very strange).

Dumb statement by Arsene as isn't EVERY transfer inbound these days done with PRIOR consideration of fair play...moaning Arsene as usual.

I predicted on here this would happen when Man City first announced they were buying an American club and suggested that wouldn't be the only club their sugar daddy would buy.

I said he would then use those clubs to buy players then loan them to Man City with the players parent club paying the players salary. Man City would then get the player at zero cost to get round the FFP restrictions they're struggling to meet.

UEFA could of course prevent this fiddle by simply saying the players loan value and salary would be added to the loanee club's FFP financial figures, regardless of who actually pays the money......................but they won't.

I don't think there is a "maybe" about it.

But I think it would be fair to say that our main penalty takers in a normal comp, weren't on the pitch at the time. I don't think Richards has ever taken a penalty before outside of practice and I doubt he will ever take one again.

I predicted on here this would happen when Man City first announced they were buying an American club and suggested that wouldn't be the only club their sugar daddy would buy.

I said he would then use those clubs to buy players then loan them to Man City with the players parent club paying the players salary. Man City would then get the player at zero cost to get round the FFP restrictions they're struggling to meet.

UEFA could of course prevent this fiddle by simply saying the players loan value and salary would be added to the loanee club's FFP financial figures, regardless of who actually pays the money......................but they won't.

saai.gif.pagespeed.ce.f25DL0fHCd.gif YAWN!

• Like 1