Manchester City

mrbojangles

Man City take Al Qahtani on trial

post-19542-1198224879_thumb.jpg

Manchester City have handed a trial to Asian player of the year and Saudi Arabia captain Yasser Al Qahtani.

The 25-year-old Al Hilal striker has arrived in Manchester with his club's president Prince Mohammed Bin Faisal and his agent Turki Al Mukairin.

"I'm now in England after I got an invitation letter from Manchester City," Al Qahtani said.

"I am glad to train with such a good club in England and I will try to prove that Saudi players are good players."

Al Qahtani joined Al Hilal from Al-Qadisiya for a fee of around £2.5m in 2005.

He helped Saudi Arabia reach the final of the Asian Cup in July and has continually been linked with a move to a European club.

Al Qahtani was offered the chance to train with Chelsea when he was crowned Asian player of the year in November.

Blues need to 'get back on it' this Saturday

Richard Dunne has insisted hard work and a focus on the Barclays Premier League will ensure there’s no hangover from this week’s Carling Cup defeat.

The skipper has looked ahead to Saturday’s trip to Villa Park and declared: “There’s no days off now and it’s important that we get keep our season going and start picking up points away from home.

“The main aim now is the Christmas period and to get as many points as we can.

“We need to get points on the board on Saturday and make sure that there’s no hangover from this and we ruin what we’ve already started.”

Despite the high expectations that surrounded Tuesday’s defeat to Tottenham, Dunne hopes there will be more cup runs to come: “Hopefully there are more quarter finals, hopefully this season, and in the season’s to come.

“I think our aim to progress in the league and so far we’ve put ourselves in a good position. So we need to make sure there’s no hangover, as I’ve said, and get straight back on it this Saturday.

“I think the characters we have in the dressing room are experienced and have all suffered similar disappointments in their careers so they all know how to recover. The best way to forget about it is to get three points on Saturday.

“We’ve got a good squad and we’ll have disappointments through the season and this is one but it’s how we bounce back and we’ve done that well after previous set backs.

“We need to go out on Saturday and not be feeling sorry for ourselves and put a show on on the road.”

The skipper also gave us a few words about the latest addition to the Blues’ fold, Nery Castillo, who will be eligible from January: “He’s been training with us for a couple of days and he looks exciting.

“I’ve seen some of his clips on the internet and some of his goals look brilliant.

“I think Elano played against him in the Copa America and he scored a great goal when they beat Brazil 2-0.”

'This is where I want to play my football'

New loan signing Nery Castillo has spoken exclusively to mcfc.co.uk ahead of being unveiled this afternoon to the media at the Carrington Training Centre.

The 23-year-old Mexican international completed a deal to join the Blues on Tuesday evening and he revealed: “I’m delighted to come to the Club. The welcome I’ve had is the reason why I’ve come here.

“I knew from the very first moment that I came to the Club that this is where I want to play my football.

“It was a frustrating time at Shakhtar and yes I helped make the move happen but that shows you how much I want to play football and want to play for Manchester City.

“I’ve been very impressed with everything I’ve seen here. The Manager clearly is a great manager and the Club is going in a positive direction and I want to be part of that.”

Sven hands the gloves to Joe Hart

Sven-Goran Eriksson has revealed that Joe Hart will be the Manchester City number one for the foreseeable future.

Speaking ahead of this weekend's trip to Aston Villa, the Blues boss said: "“On Saturday Joe Hart will play and will be my number one for the foreseeable future.

“I have had talks with Andreas today and obviously he’s not very happy. I had to make a choice and for this moment I’ve made the choice in Joe Hart."

Rumours will surely start about Andreas Isaksson’s future at the Club and Eriksson admitted: "I don’t know if Andreas wants to leave or stay and fight for the place but I told him it’s very much up to him.

“I will not be surprised and I will understand it if he wants to leave.

"It was important and for the players to come up with this decision before the window opens in January."

Finally on the injury front, Sven said: "Michael Johnson unfortunately will probably not be ready for the game. He has some pains after the operation. Otherwise we look okay."

the decision to publicly state that 'Hart is number one choice for the foreseeable future' send out a clear message to Isaksson

He will definitely go in January if not sold then loaned out to get the chance of regular matches

Yeah i agree but it was fair of Sven to name the number 1 choice. They know where they stand now and he can make a choice if he wants to leave or not.

From the BBC:-

Aston Villa 1-1 Manchester City

Aston Villa and Manchester City fought out a dull stalemate.

Rolando Bianchi gave City the lead from Martin Petrov's cross after 11 minutes, but John Carew's deflected shot put Villa level three minutes later.

Villa took control, with City keeper Joe Hart turning Carew's shot on to the post and Elano clearing Gabriel Agbonlahor's effort off the line.

City's Petrov wasted a good chance to seal a win late on, shooting wide from substitute Vedran Corluka's cross.

City's rejuvenated striker Bianchi capped a fine start by the visitors with the opening goal after 11 minutes.

Petrov took massive credit with a classic left-wing cross that simply invited the Italian to slide it home from eight yards.

The Villa Park crowd had already grown restless, but Martin O'Neill's side equalised in slightly fortuitous fashion three minutes later.

The giant Carew ran on to Wilfred Bouma's pass and got ahead of Richard Dunne to send a deflected shot beyond City keeper Hart.

City suddenly went into their shell and Villa dominated for the rest of the first half, with Carew's stature causing major problems.

Villa were a real threat at corners, and thought they had taken the lead after 24 minutes.

Agbonlahor bundled Ashley Young's corner towards goal, and it needed a last-ditch clearance from Elano to save City, despite appeals from Villa that the ball had crossed the line.

Television replays proved inconclusive, although the Villa players were clearly angered by the failure to give a goal.

Carew almost got his second after 30 minutes, when Hart turned his 20-yard shot on to the post - although City made justified claims for both offside and handball.

City managed to stem the flow of Villa attacks after the break, but were struggling to get their own match-winners Petrov and Elano into the game.

The Brazilian had a chance with an angled free-kick from 20 yards, but he could not find his usual accuracy and curled his effort well over.

It was Elano's final contribution, the talismanic midfield man looking short of full fitness, and he was replaced by Javier Garrido with 15 minutes left.

Petrov had a glorious chance to put City in front after 80 minutes when he was found unmarked at the far post by substitute Vedran Corluka, but he swept a poor finish off target.

Nigel Reo-Coker then led a Villa counter-attack, but delayed with Agbonlahor waiting unmarked and City defender Michael Ball recovered to clear.

Hart was then alert to race out of his area to block Agbonlahor as he raced through.

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill:

"It was frustrating because we started on the back foot and conceded an early goal again. I feel we should have won in the end.

"John Carew was fantastic, unplayable at times. He was immense with players hanging over him all game. It was a phenomenal performance and he doesn't get too many fouls either.

"He is supposed to just look after himself because he is so tall, but overall I couldn't be more pleased with the team."

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"I was very happy with the spirit out there. We fought and tried to win.

"I was pleased Rolando Bianchi scored again. It was a typical Bianchi goal and he is settling in better and better.

"Villa were dangerous on the counter-attack, but the alternative is not to attack and we always want to take the risk and attack."

Edited by mrbojangles

From skysports:-

Sven targets away boost

City boss believes win on travels is just around corner

Sven Goran Eriksson is seeing signs his Manchester City side's away form could be about to turn round following their 1-1 draw at Aston Villa.

In spite of being almost invincible at home, Eriksson's men have not won on their Premier League travels since August.

But the Swede saw enough in his team's battling performance at Villa Park to indicate they could soon see a change in fortune.

"We started the game perhaps the best we have played away," said the former England coach.

"We scored a goal rather early but they scored one early as well.

"I was very happy with the spirit of our team. I have seen an improvement in our form on the road and if we continue like this, sooner or later we will win away."

The City boss was also pleased with the fighting spirit displayed by his men.

"I'm satisfied and I'm happy when I see us fight for the ball like that.

"When we lost the ball in the last third, sometimes we lose it a little too easily but somehow the defenders and goalkeeper sorted it out. The alternative is not to attack and we want to attack and take the risk.

"It was a good match. It was frenetic sometimes; if you are a Villa fan, a City fan or a neutral you would enjoy a match like that."

Eriksson was also delighted with the contribution of goalscorer Rolando Bianchi whose poacher's strike gave the visitors an early lead at Villa Park.

The goal was the Italian's third in as many games and he is starting to repay his £8.8million price tag.

"He's getting better and better and settling better," said Eriksson.

"This was a typical Bianchi goal - he's always around the box and inside the box ready for crosses to come in."

Bianchi feeling settled

From the Daily Mirror

A Villa 1-1 Man City

French is meant to be the language of love but for Italian striker Rolando Bianchi, learning English has provided the spark in his blossoming relationship with the Premier League.

Bianchi, 24, was dubbed a flop and axed by Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson after failing to nail down a starting spot following an £8.8million July move from Reggina.

But the hit-man is finally starting to justify his big transfer fee with three goals in four matches to keep City's hopes of a Champions League place on track.

Bianchi, who went 10 Premier League games without scoring after netting on his debut at West Ham, reckons his vast improvement is down to his progress with the language.

The striker spends three afternoons a week mastering English with a private tutor at City's Carrington training ground.

And Bianchi has even offered to lend his teacher to compatriot and new England manager Fabio Capello, who plans to learn English before his first game against Switzerland on February 6.

"Now it's better for me because I can speak with my team-mates," said Bianchi, who scored 18 goals in 37 games last term to keep Reggina in Serie A.

"Before it was very difficult because I could not communicate and on the pitch that is very important. I study a lot, though, and I have an English teacher who speaks with me all the time which makes learning the language much easier.

"In two months I learned to speak a little bit. Now I am a bit better and more confident but hopefully soon I will be fluent.

"Learning the language is so important. Fabio Capello wants to learn English in a month - he can borrow my English teacher if he wants!

"And he will adapt to the culture too because I'm enjoying it. I watch films with subtitles a lot on television, especially the sporting programmes on Channel Five.

"I don't watch English shows like EastEnders or Coronation Street but maybe I will start."

Bianchi gave City the lead at Villa Park from Martin Petrov's cross after 11 minutes but John Carew's superb solo goal put the home team level three minutes later.

The visitors, who have won only once away from home this term in the league, then had to show character to gain a point as keeper Joe Hart turned Carew's shot on to the post and Elano cleared Gabriel Agbonlahor's effort off the line.

Bianchi added: "I am happy about my goals but I know I can still play better. It has been difficult since I joined the club but with my team-mates' help I can score goals and it is becoming easier for me.

"Now I play a lot and it's good for my confidence, I feel sharp and know I can do well here. I like playing in the Premier League because it suits my game.

"English football is more physical while Italian football is more tactical so I am happy here and I want to score a lot of goals for City."

Bianchi's performance suggests the target-man will eventually prove a hit in the top flight but there is certainly no doubting Carew's credentials.

The powerful Norwegian international striker, signed from Lyon in a swap deal with former Liverpool star Milan Baros in January, took his tally to four goals and Villa skipper Gareth Barry described him as unplayable.

"He's a top man and the goal has given him a lot of confidence," said Barry.

"John is a massive player for us and when he performs like that he's unplayable.

"When you train with him you realise he's more than just a target-man, and we try to use his other strengths too."

Some snippets from a few papers:-

News of the World

'Inter plan Elano raid'

INTER MILAN are set to make a name-your-price bid for Elano of Manchester City.

Roberto Mancini, boss of the runaway Serie A leaders, is a big admirer of the Brazilian midfielder.

Elano, an £8million buy last summer from Shakhtar Donetsk has made a stunning impact in the Premier League.

City will fight to keep him but an Italian source said: "Inter are in no mood to take no for an answer.

"They will ask City to name their price. They want a big-name signing to replace Luis Figo who retires at the end of the season and see Elano as a major addition."

Elano has scored four league goals, helping lift City to fourth.

City are more interested in adding to their squad and will compete with Chelsea for Bolton's Nicolas Anelka.

Sunday People

'CITY GO FOR WORK OF ART'

MANCHESTER CITY will test Celtic's resolve next summer by offering keepers Joe Hart and Kasper Schmeichel to try and get Artur Boruc.

Sunday Mirror

'Eriksson snaps up whizz-kid'

MANCHESTER CITY have sealed a deal to sign Liberian whizz-kid Alex Nimley - after the teenager scored a sensational goal in training with Sven-Goran Eriksson's first team squad.

Nimley, 16, came to England last month from Cameroon outfit Cotonsport to pursue his Premier League dream. But after Portsmouth refused to meet his wage demands and Blackburn failed to make an offer, City stepped in with a three-and-a-half-year contract that he will sign in the next week.

News of the World

COVENTRY have asked Manchester City to loan them Greek striker Georgios Samaras and Nigerian midfielder Kelvin Etuhu.

Daily Star Sunday

'Boro Swede on Isaksson'

MIDDLESBROUGH are at the front of the queue for Andreas Isaksson. The Sweden keeper wants out after losing his place to Joe Hart, 20.

Boro boss Gareth Southgate is resigned to losing Aussie international Mark Schwarzer after contract talks stalled - and is ready to pay the £2million asking price for Isaksson.

Sunday People

MAN City should confirm they have won the battle with West Ham for the £8 million signature of FC Basle's striker Felipe Caicedo, 19, this week.

Payback time for Nery

"Castillo vows United revenge" :o

New Manchester City signing Nery Castillo has vowed to make bitter rivals United pay for letting him go.

The 23-year-old, who has joined City on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk for this season, had a trial with United seven years ago but problems over a work permit saw Sir Alex Ferguson lose interest in the Mexico striker.

But Castillo, who came to prominence at last summer's Copa America, said: "I've still got photos of me with Sir Alex and all of the players.

"Maybe now I can get my revenge on them with City.

"I can't wait to play in my first derby."

Payback time for Nery

"Castillo vows United revenge" :o

New Manchester City signing Nery Castillo has vowed to make bitter rivals United pay for letting him go.

The 23-year-old, who has joined City on loan from Shakhtar Donetsk for this season, had a trial with United seven years ago but problems over a work permit saw Sir Alex Ferguson lose interest in the Mexico striker.

But Castillo, who came to prominence at last summer's Copa America, said: "I've still got photos of me with Sir Alex and all of the players.

I hope he does the business for City & manages to contribute in doing the double over UTD.

Is this guy a loan signing MrBJ ?? What do you think about this "name your price" offer for Elano?? Surely they can't consider letting him go after making such an impact?

Payback time for Nery

"Castillo vows United revenge" :D

I hope he does the business for City & manages to contribute in doing the double over UTD.

Is this guy a loan signing MrBJ ?? What do you think about this "name your price" offer for Elano?? Surely they can't consider letting him go after making such an impact?

:o:D

There will be no double, United will punish Shity heavily in the return game. :D

Is this guy a loan signing MrBJ ??

Yeah he's on loan Chavy. Shakhtar Donetsk wanted about £3.5m for the year loan :o No way we wanted to pay that, so Castillo has stumped up most of the money himself. That's how much he want to play over here. Makes a change from the normal money grabbers. :D

What do you think about this "name your price" offer for Elano?? Surely they can't consider letting him go after making such an impact?

This is what Sven has said about that on city's website:-

It was reported yesterday that another summer signing is also a wanted man in Italy with Inter Milan keen on Elano. Of that Eriksson coolly replied: “If Inter Milan want some of our players I’m sure that Mancini would have phoned me straight away.

“I know him. We worked together for nine years and we speak regularly to each other so I don’t think Inter Milan want Elano. He would be the first one to tell me."

So hopefully that will end that rumour :D

There will be no double, United will punish Shity heavily in the return game. :o

We shall see Taody, we shall see. One thing is for sure, you haven't got your guaranteed six points a season from us, for years :D

Merry Christmas Mr Boj. :D

Should be an exciting return game.

Tricky game tomorrow Mr Boj, think you'll edge it though. Blackburn have been a little indifferent over the past month or so, although it will be a tough game. Hopefully, we'll see Chelsea and Liverpool drop some more points this week.

Micah hails Sven impact

Defender delighted with the football his team-mates are playing

Manchester City defender Micah Richards has hailed the impact of manager Sven Goran Eriksson.

The former England boss took over at City in July, and has transformed the club's fortunes since his arrival.

City finished just four points above the relegation zone last season, under previous manager Stuart Pearce.

However, after 18 games Eriksson's men lie an impressive fourth in the Premier League table.

And 19-year-old Richards has put their success down to Eriksson's emphasis on getting the side to play free-flowing football.

"Sven Goran Eriksson's been a revelation. He has been great," he told Sky Sports News.

"If you look at the football we played last season - no disrespect to Stuart Pearce - but we used to play long ball.

"But with the players we have now, Elano, Giovanni and [Vedran] Corluka [for example], they always want to play.

"We look like a decent footballing team, which is something we have wanted to be for a long time now.

"It is good that we can go out there and play some football, and show the fans that we are not just a kick-around team."

Sven calm on Richards deal

City boss confident defender will sign contract

Sven Goran Eriksson remains confident Micah Richards will pen a new Manchester City contract, despite delays surrounding the deal.

The club are reportedly close to agreeing a fresh £46,000-a-week contract with the England international, although legal issues involving former agents are believed to be delaying the process.

Richards still has over two years remaining on the four-year deal he penned in July 2006, but Eriksson wants the 19-year-old to commit his long-term future to the big-spending Eastlands outfit.

"I don't know the reason for the delay but I'm not worried about the contract," said Eriksson.

"I think he will play at this club for many, many years, maybe - hopefully, for the rest of his career, which is many years.

"I don't know everything about the negotiations, but from the figures I heard, it's a good contract, it has to be but Micah's happy, he was a born happy, he's a happy man."

Johnson worry

Eriksson has also admitted he is concerned about Michael Johnson's abdominal problem.

The England Under 21 international had surgery on the injury in November before returning against Tottenham earlier this month.

However, he is now back on the sidelines after complaining of similar pains in a slightly different area.

Johnson will not feature against Blackburn and Eriksson concedes he will have to be nursed back to full fitness.

"Michael has had a scan and the specialists say where he was operated on is not a problem because this injury is higher up," said the Swede.

"But yes, we are a bit worried that it came back and we hope it will not be there for long.

"Probably he cannot play two games a week yet. Instead, he has to work more on core stability and things like that."

From skysports, interview before the results of yesterday

Sven has Champions League dream

City boss keen to prove doubters wrong

Sven Goran Eriksson admits that he is confident of guiding Manchester City into Europe this season.

City currently sit fourth in the Premier League, only three points behind Chelsea who are still considered genuine title challengers.

Eriksson's side have won all nine of their league games at the City of Manchester Stadium, with only their away form preventing them from being higher up the table.

Few people expected the former England manager to have such an immediate impact at the club, and while admitting that they have exceeded expectations, Eriksson can see no reason why the club should not be hopeful of European football during the next campaign.

"The Champions League will be very difficult but you can always dream," said the Swede.

"If you asked people in August whether we would be fourth in the table at this point, I am sure they would have laughed at us.

"So far, we have done very well and obviously, I am happy with our position.

"Maybe I am more confident of finishing in a European place than I was earlier in the season but the games we have coming up now are very important.

"And even after the big weekends right in front of us, it is very important that come March and April, we are still fit, we can still run and we can still move the legs."

City welcome Blackburn to Eastlands on Thursday, a game which will see Eriksson come up against an in-form Roque Santa Cruz, a player which he admits interested him during the summer.

"Santa Cruz was on my radar but I was just a bit late," he said.

"I saw him many times for Bayern Munich, and for Paraguay. It is no surprise to me how well he has done in the Premier League because he is a very good player.

"He did well against Chelsea and when you look at his game overall, Blackburn were very unlucky to lose, so we know how tough it is going to be for us."

From Matt Le Tissier's column:-

Whenever we see Sven Goran Eriksson these days, he always seems to have that knowing smile - and no wonder!

The start Manchester City have made has been terrific. It just goes to show what a different kettle of fish club management is to the international game, and Sven is reminding us all why he got the England job in the first place.

Their home form has been sensational and although they have not really got going on the road, I don't think anyone connected with the club can complain.

They are playing some decent football and everyone seems to be enjoying it as well.

Maybe the fact that so many players signed at the same time in the summer has helped them bond, but there is a definite unity in the City squad.

The one slight downside is their lack of a regular goalscorer. Rolando Bianchi looks like he might finally be getting things together, but I do wonder if Sven will splash out on a big-name, top-drawer striker in the transfer window.

That is the one area where they need to improve. Emile Mpenza and Darius Vassell are in and out, Bianchi struggled to start with and Georgios Samaras seems have had his chance.

Goals

There is certainly nothing wrong with the other attacking players though; Elano, Geovanni, Martin Petrov and young Michael Johnson have all weighed in with goals and do love to play on the break, even at home.

They might not be able to do that here though, because I just can't see Blackburn pouring forward.

Four straight defeats is not the sort of form they are used to under Mark Hughes and although they battled hard against Chelsea, they are suffering a real dip. Confidence will not be high and you'd imagine a point would be more than enough.

Rocky Santa Cruz is in form, but Benny McCarthy has been quiet and other than that, it is hard to see where the goals are going to come from.

Still, Sparky's biggest headache will have been the way they have been shipping goals.

As I say, there were signs of improvement on Sunday, but it is most unlike a Hughes side not to be well-organised and hard to break down.

They will go to Eastlands looking to stop City playing, but given their home form this season it is hard to see anything other than a smiling Sven come full-time.

Le Tiss predicts

HOME WIN - City have just got that momentum going where they run out at home knowing they are going to win. They also dug out a decent win against Bolton just before Christmas which shows there is more to them than going ahead and staying ahead. The spirt and togetherness they've got is a far cry from previous seasons and it should see them home quite comfortably against an out-of-sorts Blackburn. 2-0.

Matt's main man

MARTIN PETROV - Elano might have got all the headlines, but this guy's contribution should not be overlooked. He is a good old-fashioned, chalk-on-the-boots left winger, but he also knows when to come and hit that back post, which is something English wide players are so good at. We all say the physicality of the Premier League is where the foreigners struggle, but Petrov can also look after himself in that respect.

Managed to catch the game last night MrBJ !! Not sure what happened mate but Blackburn are no great shakes. Once again the "off side" rule is open to interpretation. For me nowdays is never clear. The Blackburn player, Dunn I think it was, clearly went for the ball in an off side position so should have been given offside !! :D Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

:D Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

Why would anyone want to be that Wonker :D ?

I've always wanted to be a little hitler.....a power hungry machismo......a wise guy. In my dictionary, these determine the word 'referee' :D

:bah: Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

Why would anyone want to be that Wonker :D ?

I've always wanted to be a little hitler.....a power hungry machismo......a wise guy. In my dictionary, these determine the word 'referee' :D

:D

Howard Webb is just a bald c#$&., and his middle name is Melton :bah: . I could never trust someone who is named after a pork pie. :D

MELTON :D

You've got me going now Toady :D

Note to one self :- Order pork pies, mother & father to deliver on their next visit in April. :o

Just like mine, with the Cornish pasties when they are here in April. Mind you, a good Melton Mowbray Pork pie, accopanied with a nice salad and Cornish New potatoes, has got me drolling now.

Managed to catch the game last night MrBJ !! Not sure what happened mate but Blackburn are no great shakes. Once again the "off side" rule is open to interpretation. For me nowdays is never clear. The Blackburn player, Dunn I think it was, clearly went for the ball in an off side position so should have been given offside !! :D Then again,who am I? I'm not Howard Webb :o

Yeah i'm bemused too. Dunn must have been interfering with play, he went to head it and was blocking Joe Harts view. Not a happy bunny this morning