Manchester City

mrbojangles

I will not mention the Chelsea game, but I beleive that was just one of those days that happens to all teams at some point.

What do you mean "you won't mention the Chelsea game". You just did :D

:D Couldn't resist.

Fair enough, i won't mention the City Vs United game then :o:D

I will not mention the Chelsea game, but I beleive that was just one of those days that happens to all teams at some point.

:D Couldn't resist.

What's that then, when you play at Plainmoor in the third round? :D

:bah: Couldn't resist.

What's that then, when you play at Plainmoor in the third round? :D

Mai khao jai :D

Report on yesterday's match from the BBC:-

Portsmouth 0-0 Man City

Manchester City stayed in third place in the Premier League table after a battling draw with in-form Portsmouth.

City goalkeeper Joe Hart was kept busy early on and he brilliantly tipped Glen Johnson's shot on to the bar as Pompey poured forward at every opportunity.

The visitors should have scored themselves when Darius Vassell somehow missed from Martin Petrov's cross.

But Pompey continued to press and David Nugent was unlucky to see his deflected shot come back off the post late on.

Only Arsenal have managed more goals than Portsmouth in the Premier League this season and the home side's early play here showed why they have been in such free-scoring form.

City were just grateful that Hart - who has won the battle to become boss Sven-Goran Eriksson's first choice between the sticks, at least until the January transfer window opens - was equal to everything that was thrown at him.

The England Under-21 international had to push away Kanu's shot at his near post and, from the resulting corner, Sean Davis saw his curling shot dip just over the bar.

Pompey right-back Johnson was also getting forward as much as possible and, after testing the water with a long-range effort that was easily collected by Hart, he went close to breaking the deadlock.

The former Chelsea defender forced his way into the area before unleashing a powerful shot that the City keeper did brilliantly to tip on to the crossbar.

City were having to withstand some substantial pressure by this point but they stood firm and Richard Dunne and Micah Richards both made key interceptions as Pompey continued to press.

Niko Kranjcar did manage to wriggle free inside the area but he saw his shot fly wide of Hart's far post as City survived again.

It was not all one way traffic however, as City looked to come forward themselves when possible.

The visitors' wide-men Petrov and Stephen Ireland were looking dangerous in patches and Petrov twice shot straight at David James after some neat passing moves opened up Pompey.

And Eriksson's side may not have won on their travels since their opening-day success at West Ham but they could have been celebrating all three points if Vassell had taken a golden opportunity after the break.

The former England international, making a rare start up front, was perfectly placed to slot home after Elano and Petrov combined but instead contrived to shin the ball and send it spinning away from the target.

Elano also tested James after breaking into the area but Harry Redknapp's side resumed control in the closing stages, although they were unable to find the net.

Hart was finally beaten when Pompey subsitute Nugent's shot was deflected past him off Richards but the ball ricocheted back off the inside of the post.

Nugent was denied again by another fine stop soon after, and despite some late pressure, City held on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Portsmouth assistant boss Tony Adams:

"The players gave us what we asked them to do. We said keep compact and don't let Elano float between the midfield and back four.

"We created bits, not enough to win the game, but confidence is high. We're picking up points on the road, we've turned into a resilient outfit and are creating and scoring goals.

"We didn't score one this time but there are a lot of of good signs, a lot of good things happening at Portsmouth."

Man City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"It was important to play differently. We started to defend a bit later, held the team compact and that was important.

"They hit the post at the end and we were lucky there but we had some chances, we could have scored as well, so it's a fair result.

"To play good football you have to be solid. We were and, rightly so after the experience we've had recently, we had to change something. We did it and the boys were very good. "

WORTH A READ...

James Lawton: How did I get it so wrong on Sven and City? By ignoring the wisdom of Miljanic

Published: 13 November 2007

However frequently that sheer gut instinct for what is going to happen next cuts a coruscating passage through the vagaries of life, and in this case football, it is probably fair to say that Manchester City, so resilient and measured in everything they did when holding the Pompey who tore big Sam Allardyce's Newcastle to pieces a week earlier, are running somewhat ahead of expectations.

The need for such an admission is quite pressing here because, as some rather mocking, if not sneering, e-mails have reminded me, I had them down for relegation.

No, not some over-priced languishing in the mediocrity that had beset them almost without a break since the magical partnership of Joe Mercer and Malcolm Allison broke up 35 years ago, but the big drop, the great abyss. No, there could be no shilly-shallying around the fact that it was Sven's sayanora to the last of his credibility as a front rank football manager.

For anyone who knew anything about football the impending story was written boldly in the sky and there was simply a duty to pass it on.

You just can't pick up the phone to a few fancy priced agents, flick through a video or two, shell out £40m, and expect to compete with a team like Manchester United. Of course you can't.

Well, of course, Sven did. He beat United when there was still a breath of summer in the air – a few days after a stunning exposition of smoothly drilled teamwork for an opening day victory at West Ham.

Now, with more than a quarter of a season complete, City sit snugly in a Champions' League slot.

Elano, the Brazilian hardly anyone had heard of outside of Eriksson and his information network, is a folk hero of often dazzling skill, and even the defence buttressed by Micah Richards and Richard Dunne, has been sealed up after shipping six goals against Chelsea.

How could anyone – OK, if you insist, how could I – get it so wrong?

Two basic reasons. One was to forget that running a club, something Eriksson did with conspicuous success over many years in his native Sweden, Portugal and Italy, and a national team present two quite separate challenges. The other was to imagine that the old Eriksson who presented the scudetto to Lazio as his parting gift before taking up the England job, had become a burned-out case, softened by his forgiving bosses at the Football Association and lulled into the belief that he could ride any storm, however haplessly he had provoked it, and still finish up counting his fortune.

The most serious error was to imagine that the increasing feebleness of his England regime, his inability to make hard decisions, his appalling favouritism, and – in the quarter-finals of three major tournaments – his failure to adapt to highly pressurised situations would inevitably be transferred to his new assignment.

This assumption was to ignore the possibility that Eriksson's move to Manchester would re-ignite in him some of the qualities that initially made his selection as England's new coach so welcome in so many quarters, including this one. He came here as an erudite figure of easy charm, someone with an implicit understanding that football was a game which could only be made easy by hard work – and that there could be no greater antidote to the problems that wiped out so many of his predecessors than a touch of common sense.

But then the killing error in assessing his chances at the City of Manchester Stadium was to ignore the wisdom of Miljan Miljanic, the outstanding coach of Red Star Belgrade, Real Madrid and, for the World Cups of 1974 and 82, the old Yugoslav national team. Miljanic was a brilliant club manager who was once seen by Arsenal as a potential successor to the Bertie Mee-Don Howe combo which delivered the 1971 Double success. After winning 10 trophies with Red Star and back to back La Liga titles with Real, he concluded that there was a clear difference between shaping club and national teams.

At club level you applied a system that catered for the needs of your players. It was something that could be adapted and grooved according to your level of talent. At the national level it was quite different. You had a system that was just about immutable. There was very little time to experiment with new styles, new wrinkles. You didn't flirt with midfield diamonds from one match to the next, even in mid-tournament, you did as Sir Alf Ramsey did on the build up to England's one World Cup success in 1966. You had a system, in this case 4-3-3, into which players, who spent so little time in each other's playing company during the course of the year, were obliged to operate. You also made some quick decisions about who best fitted where. You wouldn't, for example, have Paul Scholes, your most naturally creative central midfielder by some distance, operating on the left wing. You wouldn't have David Beckham playing, on one bizarre occasion, in front of the back four.

But then it is not the time to bury Sven Goran Eriksson all over again. Whatever you think of his England record, however you gauge the level of disappointment, it is surely no hardship to admit that he has returned to the world of club football with an assurance – and a cool handling of an astoundingly successful start – that has brought him back to the front rank of football management. Yes, these are still relatively early days – City are not yet in Europe, but then they are, for the first time in so many years, a long way from that dull place where survival was an optimum condition.

Indeed, watching City is no longer to agonise over the time players like Francis Lee, Mike Summerbee and Colin Bell played football that had a brilliant urgency which has rarely been matched let alone surpassed by any English club in all the ensuing years. City play football again, not yet at the level the ferocious Allison inspired, but in a way that lights up the future with more than a touch of genuine excitement.

City are not going to be relegated. No, you didn't hear it here first. But then, if you didn't notice, there is a little blood on the page.

I think all is well at City at present.I really do.I dont recall ever feeling as optimistic as i do now.I mean for goodness sake i EXPECT city to win games now :o .People or the detractors really keep reminding us that its still early in the season which is true but lets face facts this is the best start we have made in over 3o years and we are one of only 2 clubs who retain a 100%record at home.Sure we got hammered 6-0 by Chelsea but look how we have done since then.Correct me if im wrong but i dont believe we have conceeded a goal since nor lost another game.That shows maturity and that shows a steely character that has been missing from City for SOOOOOOO long.I think its too early to say we will qualify for the Champions league but i certainly would,nt rule it out and if we buy wisely in January and thus strengthen the squad who knows where we could go.

Just on a side note Bred.Corradi is scoring for fun in Italy at present and i myself would,nt be sorry to see him return

McClaren ponders Richards switch

England boss Steve McClaren says he is not worried about asking Micah Richards to play in central defence.

First-choice pair John Terry and Rio Ferdinand are unavailable for Friday's friendly against Austria and the Euro 2008 qualifier against Croatia.

That could mean Richards moves from right-back to partner Sol Campbell in the centre - where he already plays for club side Manchester City.

McClaren said: "His performances there for City have been impressive."

Ferdinand is suspended for the game against Croatia, while captain Terry is recovering from knee surgery.

McClaren was at Stamford Bridge on Sunday to see Everton defender Joleon Lescott in action and he could win his second cap alongside Campbell.

If Richards moves into the centre, Wes Brown or Phil Neville could deputise at right-back.

Lescott played at left-back in England's last game against Russia but Chelsea boss Avram Grant has confirmed that Ashley Cole is fit to play for England - even though the defender was omitted from the Blues squad that drew with Everton.

Wayne Bridge started for the Blues as Cole has only just recovered from an ankle injury.

England's fate could be decided by the time they play Croatia if Russia beat Israel and Croatia avoid defeat against Macedonia on Saturday.

If Russia lose against Israel, England would need a draw against Slaven Bilic's side or they will fail to qualify for a major championship for the first time since 1994.

McClaren has hinted at calling on former skipper David Beckham to ensure England qualify.

Beckham, now playing in the United States with Los Angeles Galaxy, was once discarded by McClaren but was brought out of international exile for the match against Estonia in June.

And McClaren says Beckham, who has recovered from injury, could be a key figure.

"I wouldn't say he has proved me wrong," he stated. "It wasn't difficult to leave him out, I thought it was for the benefit of the team.

"But we're in a situation where we are coming to the big games and David is a big-game player."

McClaren is also being tipped to try out Aston Villa goalkeeper Scott Carson against Austria, with questions hanging over number one Paul Robinson following a series of high-profile errors.

"we are one of only 2 clubs who retain a 100%record at home" - of the 92 i believe.

We've lost away to Arse (put up a decent fight), Blackbum (out muscled and we didn't turn up that day) and Chelski (SGE got it wrong that day) - all top 8 i believe. Having seen Chelsea against Everton at the weekend, i reckon we were in the wrong place at the wrong time for our beating, as i wasn't impressed with Chelsea - maybe we should have gone there for the point only like Everton (as we did at Portsmouth).

Looking good, looking good!

"we are one of only 2 clubs who retain a 100%record at home" - of the 92 i believe.

We've lost away to Arse (put up a decent fight), Blackbum (out muscled and we didn't turn up that day) and Chelski (SGE got it wrong that day) - all top 8 i believe. Having seen Chelsea against Everton at the weekend, i reckon we were in the wrong place at the wrong time for our beating, as i wasn't impressed with Chelsea - maybe we should have gone there for the point only like Everton (as we did at Portsmouth).

Looking good, looking good!

I concur. Sven and the boys where full of confidence and forgot one vital thing, how to defend. Lesson learnt i hope :o

Just thought some of you guy's might be interested to read an e-mail i recieved from a good friend of mine who lives here in Bangkok, this was sent to me just after Thaksin took over.

Before I could even see, my vision was tainted sky blue. Hours after I was born my Dad's mate registered me as a junior blue (Man city junior supporters club). One of my first images is of a poster on my wall as a young boy. I remember a black guy with an afro who stood out on the team photo (I think his name was Dave Bennett?). There are plenty of picture as me as a small boy, beaming in my sky blue kit, sponsored by Phillips, or was it saab?

Throughout all of those 26 years It's never been much fun to be a city fan. We're the team that gets relegated, that always manages to mess everything up, that employed such footbal luminaries as Alan Ball, Frank Clarke, Phil Neal, Alfons Gronendike, Laurent Charvet and Gerry Creaney. At school it was cool to support United, but for me that made it much cooler to support City. I went even when we were in the third division and getting beat by Lincoln and Barnet. In spite of all the shit I never wavered from my dedication to the cause. We were the family club, the real manchester club. We didn't care if we lost as long as we played with heart. While we were falling through the divisions our local rivals were cheating and moaning their way to countless trophies. Not once did I ever wish I was a United fan. They won trophies by employing players like Roy Keane, Paul Ince and Mark Hughes and having a whingeing manager with a stopwatch and a frown.

Today that has all changed.

I should be delighted. Twenty six years might be finally coming to an end. Twenty six years of no trophies, hardly any good players and public ridicule may be over as our night in shining armour has rolled into town. Thaksin Shinawat, former Prime Minister of Thailand has bought out the controlling stake in the club and promised to spend big on renovating the squad, most fans are delighted. After all of these years we may be able to compete with the big boys and win something, that should make me feel great. It doesn't. Quite the opposite in fact.

I lived under Thaksin's rule and saw first hand the kind of person he is and how he has made his money. I'm not sure what my favourite 'Thaksin moment' is, perhaps the death squads roaming the streets during his infamous 'war on drugs'? Perhaps it was when he gave government aid to the burmese military junta in order for them to buy satellitte acess from his personal company? The destruction of democracy? The mess of an airport that stands as monument to his corruption? Mass media manipluation? Or was it him using the country as his own personal piggy bank in oder to further the wealth of him and his family? There are so many examples of that final one it's untrue. Selling government land to his wife at a massively reduced price, subsidising his private television station with governmet money, buying a 50% stake in AirAsia in order to grant them a license to fly within the country. There are plenty more......

I can't support him. I can't watch Manchester City knowing that everything that I am seeing is funded by him. I won't pay for another piece of merchandise or a ticket until he's gone. I know it's a big statement but I just can't support what he stands for. If that means cutting off a part of my life which has been me since birth, then so be it. I can't imagine watching a game and seeing that smug square faced wanke_r in the stands while he is wanted for arrest over here. If a man has no morals how can he truly be a man?

So that's it. I'm an official football widower. I can never remarry, there will be no other, but my one true love has turned into a cheap whore on the arm of the local crook and I can't overlook it. It's like the man who raped your wife (she was a cheap hussy but that's not the point) offering to pay for a night on the town for you to make up for it. Or the man who robbed your life savings giving you a 100 quid back to ease the pain.

I hope for all my friends and family that the team go on to do great things, win the trophies that I have dreamed about us winning, sign the players I have dreamt about us signing and thoroughly stuff United every time they play them. Maybe this is just an initial reaction and it will become easier with time. I doubt it.

(Name removed)

Edited by ZukiSuzuki

Sorry that your friend feels that way Zuzi. He probably isn't the only one but life goes on. Remember when the Glaziers took over United, they nearly had rioting with the fans but everything is back to normal again now :o

Only Cos We're Winning........... :D

Sorry that your friend feels that way Zuzi. He probably isn't the only one but life goes on. Remember when the Glaziers took over United, they nearly had rioting with the fans but everything is back to normal again now :D

Only Cos We're Winning........... :bah:

:D:D

And so are we :D:o

From the Bangkok post:-

Blue Moon rising

Sven-Goran Eriksson has enjoyed an amazingly successful start with Manchester City, but says there is still plenty of work to be done

When Sven-Goran Eriksson was last in Bangkok just over a year ago he was temporarily unemployed after four tough years as the England manager. He was reluctant to talk about football at that time, but indicated he was interested in managing again. However, it ''had to be the right club.''

It seems he made a prudent choice.

Thirteen games into the season and Manchester City sit almost unbelievably in third place in the Premiership. In the second half of last season City fared so badly they failed to score at home once after New Year's Day. This season their home record reads played 7 won 7.

Sven must have got something right.

At the Conrad Hotel in Bangkok on Friday, Eriksson talked about making what has proved to be an astute decision.

''I had been offered several jobs but they were not quite what I wanted. Then came the City offer and I am happy I took it up.''

He is obviously aware of the controversy in Thailand concerning former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra's chairmanship of the club, but Sven is only interested in the football side of things.

''I am here only for football reasons, I am not here for political reasons,'' he told a press conference earlier.

Eriksson was looking very relaxed as he went through the formalities of signing up three young Thai players for City _ Suree Sukha, Kiatpravut Saiwaew and Thirasilp Dangda.

Immaculate as ever in a neat suit, white shirt and Manchester City tie, the sophisticated Swede admitted he was somewhat surprised by the club's early success since he took charge. ''Yes it was better than I expected.''

With substantial financial support from the Thai chairman, Eriksson bought eight foreign players _ two Brazilians, two Bulgarians, a Spaniard, a Croatian and a Swiss.

Many pundits thought it would take considerable time for these players to settle into the pace of the Premiership, but this surprisingly was not the case. ''The players gelled much quicker than I thought would happen and that helped a lot,'' he said.

Although he has an eye for foreign players he also believes it's important to have a backbone of professionals from the British Isles. ''The home-grown players are very important,'' he says and goes on to cite the good performances by Micah Richards, Michael Johnson, goalkeeper Joe Hart and Ireland's experienced Richard Dunne.

Eriksson says the highlight of the season so far has to be City's 1-0 victory over bitter rivals Manchester United. ''We didn't play our best, but we won which was the important thing,'' he said. ''It was important for the players, the fans and the entire club.''

He is full of praise for the City fans who have been singing ''Blue Moon'' with renewed vigour this season. ''They have been marvellous. They can't believe how well we have done.''

The only real blight on City's season so far was the 6-0 hammering they took at Stamford Bridge at the hands of Chelsea firing on all cylinders.

Eriksson grimaces as he recalls that match. ''We didn't play well against Chelsea. I think it was a one-off when nothing went right.''

However he is pleased at how well City have performed since that match, not conceding a goal in the following two games, a 1-0 win at home to Sunderland and a 0-0 draw at Portsmouth.

Despite Manchester City's success so far this season, Eriksson knows there's a long way to go and the squad needs strengthening. He indicated he would be making some more signings in the transfer window, but did not give any hints as to who they might be.

When asked about the chances of the three Thai players making it into the City first team, he made it clear it was up to the players themselves. '' They have to show in training they are good enough,'' he said. ''They are talented players, but they will have to prove it.''

It will not be easy for the Thai lads. Eriksson said that from what he had seen, one of the toughest problems for the Thai players is getting used to the pace of the Premiership. ''It is so fast,'' he says.

He added that it is also important they learn English so they can communicate with the coaches and other members of the squad.

Eriksson says he is not under any pressure from his boss to field the Thai players. ''He doesn't give me orders. I make the team decisions.''

Eriksson says he has a good relationship with the chairman: ''We just talk about football, not business.''

As the former England manager he has been closely following England's somewhat stuttering bid to qualify for Euro 2008. He said it was the earlier matches when they dropped points against the weaker teams that has caused the problems.

Eriksson appeared to be thoroughly enjoying his brief stay in Thailand and was particularly appreciative of the Thai food as he tucked into some spring rolls and a tasty Tom Yam Goong at the Conrad Hotel's Beverly Hills Room

He has considerable language skills and apart from Swedish and English is fluent in Italian and competent in Portuguese and French. However, he said he would hold off a bit before attempting to learn Thai, but did manage a ''Sawadee Krap'' at the press conference which sparked some applause.

Eriksson knows it's early days yet. ''I'll be very happy if we are in the same position at the end of the season.'' So will half of Manchester

His immediate concern is trying to pick up another three points at home to Reading next weekend. ''I'll settle for a 1-0,'' he says. That will be more than enough to keep the strains of ''Blue Moon'' echoing around the City of Manchester Stadium.

post-19542-1195375330_thumb.jpg

New Manchester City signings Thirasilp Dangda (left), Suree Sukha (centre) and Kiatpravut Saiwaew show their team jerseys during a press conference and signing ceremony in Bangkok.

Hey guys, especially MrBoj. I cannot paste news articles in the articulate manner that Mr B does, but I have just read an article saying that SGE has got a 150 million pound kitty for the summer!! :o

I get the Sunday Mail delivered here in BKK and I read it in there!

I dont know if you can find the article, but things are just getting better by the minute!!!!!!!!!! :D

Found it, cheers Jack. From the Daily Mail:-

Thaksin will give Sven £150m and say: Buy the best

Manchester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson is to be handed more than £150million with explicit instructions from owner Thaksin Shinawatra to make his club the best in Europe.

While Eriksson's England successor, Steve McClaren, battles for his international future, the Swede is embarking on what could be the most successful period of a 27-year managerial career that has included title victories in Sweden, Portugal and Italy.

The bulk of the spending will take place next summer and the club believe that no player will be considered out of their price range.

That could even lead to spectacular bids for the likes of Barcelona's South American pair Leo Messi and Ronaldinho, or Brazilian playmaker Kaka, of AC Milan, although nailing down such big names is another matter.

The first big target of the January transfer window will be Peter Crouch, a deal that would depend on whether or not his club, Liverpool, qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League.

Eriksson is a huge admirer of the 6ft 7in striker, having given him his first England cap.

He sees Crouch as the perfect replacement for Italy forward Rolando Bianchi, an £8million flop since his arrival from Reggina during the summer and certain to return to his homeland.

Bianchi, 24, has not been able to live up to the promise of his openingday performance when he scored in the 2-0 victory at West Ham and he has struggled to command a first-team place.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez is aware that Crouch's aerial ability could be a key factor if his team make further progress in Europe. If they do not, he could well be surplus to requirements at Anfield.

Eriksson will use his wealth of experience and knowledge of the world football scene in an attempt to make the City of Manchester Stadium dressing-room the most powerful in the Premier League.

The Swede intends to provide the kind of challenge to neighbours Manchester United that City fans have scarcely been able to dream about.

The initial January flurry, with at least three highpriced players coming in, will be to ensure European qualification next season.

'There is no doubt Mr Thaksin means business,' said a source close to the club.

'He wants the best for the team and its supporters and he is prepared to throw in fortunes to get it.'

A couple of personal comments from that article.

Hope we don't go for Crouch, that will lead to the long ball and we're moving away from that style. To call Bianchi a flop is a bit harsh, he's hardly been given a start.

Apart from that......................happy days :D:o

A couple of personal comments from that article.

Hope we don't go for Crouch, that will lead to the long ball and we're moving away from that style. To call Bianchi a flop is a bit harsh, he's hardly been given a start.

Apart from that......................happy days :D:o

I agree about Bianchi, maybe his face doesnt fit :D

Crouch, though I do not think is your typical target man. He is actually very skilful with the ball at his feet. And unlike before with Barton, we now have people who can deliver the ball, so especially from dead ball situations, I think Crouch would be a good buy. I doubt that SGE could afford to go :"long ball" especially with our Brazilian style football :D

I agree about Bianchi, maybe his face doesnt fit :o

This could be good news Jack and Bred. From Skysports:-

Sven rules out Bianchi sale

Eriksson reassures frustrated striker

Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson says Rolando Bianchi is not for sale at Eastlands.

Bianchi's future at City has been the subject of intense speculation for the last few months after failing to establish himself in Eriksson's starting XI.

The Italian is thought to be considering his options with a number of Serie A clubs believed to be ready to take him back to his homeland.

However, Eriksson has ruled out any departure and is adamant the former Reggina hit-man is part of his long-term plans.

"He is not for sale," Eriksson told the Daily Star Sunday.

"He has only just arrived and signed a contract.

"We believe in him and he's working very hard to get into the team.

"Sooner or later he will have his chance again and hopefully he will take it and remain in the side."

OPINION : WHAT A DIFFERENCE A DECADE MAKES

Reading the papers nowadays is a joy for a City fan. I think we all agree that things are far better than even Sven, the Doc and the most loyal fans thought possible.

Just to add a real element of perspective I thought about checking out what the Blues were up to 10 years ago.

My notoriously bad memory has been hard at work forgetting how low we had fallen, and how bad we were, this has taken away the appreciation of the distance the club has travelled.

Here’s a précis of what we would have been experiencing 10 years ago. Think on it all and tell me I’m not dreaming!

November 1 and a visit to the Manor Ground for a 0 – 0 draw – Team Wright, Vaughan, Wiekens, Whitley, Symons, Edghill, Brannan, Horlock, Van Blerk, Greenacre and Dickov.

This 0 – 0 draw meant that City had only scored one goal in 5 games,

November 4 and Port Vale visit Maine Road and beat us 2 – 3 with Scully, Conlon and Kinkladze reminding me that, well erm that Kinkladze played for us.

Although City were in front twice we simply couldn’t hold off the mighty Vale.

November 7 and another home advantage means we can put Huddersfield to the sword. Huddersfield win 0 -1, bearing in mind that Huddersfield were bottom of the league that’s not a good sign.

Margetson replaced Tommy Wright and Kelly (?) was drafted in. Ironically this was a 10 year anniversary of our 10–1 drubbing of the same team. Wow these 10 year things are interesting aren’t they.

November 15 City visit Sheffield United and grab a point thanks to a 90 minute goal from Horlock. More names to think on McGoldrick, Creaney and Russell.

November 22 City win!!– A slaughtering of Bradford 1–0 comprising of a second minute of injury time goal from Tony Vaughan

November 29 The last game for us to consider here brought a visit to Edgeley Park and the honour of watching City lose 3–1. I was at this game and seem to remember that it was the first time Stockport had beaten us competitively, so there’s a new depth plumbed.

I also remember the embarrassment of being a Blue in a foreign land. My dad had come out of his self-imposed supporting wilderness at my behest and offered a piece of advice at the final whistle which is unprintable in it’s original version, but translates as “Please don’t ask me to come again as that was rather disappointing.”

The manager for this period was Frank Clark and the Chairman was the ‘saviour’ Franny Lee.

The season ended badly of course as we were relegated for the second successive season. But the first time to the third tier (otherwise known as the home of fun football and re-invigorated hope!)

And now we are third in the Premiership-league-division and if the papers are remotely accurate have another £150m available to improve an already good squad.

Here’s a cap doffed to Sven and a kiss and cuddle for the good Doctor Frank.

Andy Morris (andy AT truealternative.co.uk)

From MAN CITY INFO VIA THE ALPS "McVittee!" (1381) - if you don't already subscribe to this brillaint free City newsletter, you should do at - Subscriptions (Madeleine Hawkins) : [email protected]

Mills has to end Doncaster loan

Manchester City defender Matthew Mills has been forced to cut short his loan spell at Doncaster after sustaining a knee injury.

He has returned to the Premiership club after being ruled out of action for up to six weeks with a torn cartilage.

Mills arrived on loan at Doncaster Stadium at the end of August, shortly after Sven-Goran Eriksson's arrival at Manchester City.

The 20-year-old made 18 appearances for Rovers, 17 in the starting line-up.

From the Man City web site:-

City will gain from global links, says Sven 21/11/2007

Sven-Goran Eriksson thinks City are in a great position to unearth new talent from Asia following the start of partnership deals with clubs in China and Thailand.

The Blues boss was in the far east last week to rubber-stamp the co-operation agreements with Shanghai Shen Hua and Chonburi FC, and Thai international players Kiatprawut Saiwaew, Suree Sukha and Teerasil Dangda will be training with City before playing with one of the other clubs announced as partners last week.

Casting his experienced eye on football in Asia, Sven asserts: “I think, sooner or later, there will be a Maradona, a world class player, coming from Asia. To have contacts out there will be good because football is growing across the globe, and from what I saw the quality of the young players is getting better all the time.

“The three Thai players are coming, they have been on international duty in the World Cup qualifiers. The partnership with the other clubs will see us having contact with their academies, maybe helping them but it could see some other good, young players coming to us as well. Dr Thaksin said he wanted to make City bigger, globally, when he bought the club and this is one of the steps along that road.”

The Manager returned to Manchester at the weekend to prepare for next Saturday’s game against Reading, but reflecting on his visit to Shanghai and Bangkok he is still pleasantly surprised at the reception he received.

“It was a very interesting week, I had been to China and Thailand before with Sampdoria, and they are big football countries now and extremely interested in Manchester City and the Premier League.

“I was surprised by the amount of people who were there to greet us at the airport in Bangkok. There were a lot of press and cameras, so it was a positive surprise but I can see why there is such interest in City over there at the moment. We already had Jihai Sun but with the new owner coming from Thailand you can understand why people are more interested than ever.”

From the City web site:-

Sven predicts two City winners at Wembley

Sven-Goran Eriksson thinks that both City players set to feature in Wednesday's crucial Euro 2008 qualifier at Wembley will be happy at the end of the night.

Micah Richards and Vedran Corluka are certain to play when England take on Croatia needing just a point to ensure they go through to the finals in Austria and Switzerland next summer.

Croatia qualified on Saturday despite losing 2-0 to Macedonia, and England's prospects improved dramatically when Israel beat Russia 2-1 in Tel Aviv.

Sven is delighted that two young Blues are set to feature in such a high-profile match, and he says:

"Micah Richards we know all about anyway, what more can we say about him? He's fantastic, just 19 and he has a great future in football ahead of him.

"Corluka's come into the Premier League for the first time and from the very first day he played for us he has showed what a good footballer he is. He's a modern player, not an old-fashioned defender who just wants to knock up out of defence.

"He wants to play football, he certainly can do that and he's done so well for us this season."

England's situation is familiar to the Blues boss, as the national side only needed a draw against Greece to qualify for the 2002 World Cup but had to wait until David Beckham's last-minute free kick to secure their progress.

Wanting both players to end up going to next summer's tournament, the Manager smilingly concludes:

"It will be good to them both tomorrow night, but I think Corluka will lose! It won't matter for him because Croatia have qualified, but I hope that both Micah & Vedran do well."

I really, really, really, really, really, really hope this isn't true. He's a mercenary wonker, who has nmo team spirit. I don't want to see him back, never mind the extortionate fee :o

Chelsea and City set to bid for Nico 20/11/2007

From the Daily Mirror

'Battle on for £30m Anelka'

Chelsea and Manchester City are in a cheque book war for Nicolas Anelka - but they will have to fork out £30million to sign the France striker.

Anelka will leave Bolton if the bidding reaches £15m in the January transfer window and insiders say he is also looking for a contract until 2011 and £4million a year in wages.

It is a huge bill that is being considered by both Avram Grant and Sven Goran Eriksson, who head the list of Anelka's many admirers, with the wages being unofficially passed on by agents to the interested clubs.

Chelsea may have a slight edge as they can throw players into the deal, but Eriksson would love Anelka back at City and has pushed him to the top of his shopping list.

Bolton are making plans for Anelka to leave, with boss Gary Megson planning to raid Fulham for striker Collins John when the window opens.

Your mate is obviosly a romantic...and needs to get a grip if he REALLY is a City fan!

David Bennett (and his brother who ended up at Sunderland for many years), good player but a bit lightweight.

I arrested them both back in the 80s for nicking a car.

Dave was a right laugh, but Gary was sullen, chip on his shoulder type of guy :o