Manchester City

mrbojangles

From the City web site:-

Dunne eyes European place for City

City must keep a close eye on both Merseyside clubs as the push for a spot in Europe intensifies in the latter stages of the season.

That’s the opinion of Richard Dunne, who is preparing to lead his side out at his former stamping ground, Goodison Park, this coming Saturday.

The Toffees lie two places and three points behind City in the Barclays Premier League table, but with Liverpool sandwiched between the two, Richard has given his assessment of the battle for a European place.

“There’s obviously the top three sides, then after that there’s Liverpool who while we might say we’ve had a great season, they would say that they have not. They have had some mixed results of late, and they are a side that the likes ourselves, Aston Villa and Everton will be trying to catch,” he says.

“Last year it was Arsenal that people thought could be the team to catch, but this year Liverpool are the team that have not pulled away from the rest of us. We’re all in there, and we’ve got as much chance as them as getting into that fourth position.”

Everton are the only side City have yet to play in the league, so when asked about whether he has seen four or five sides better than City so far as they look to maintain their position in the table, Richard responds,

“As far as there being four or five better teams than us, probably not, but the league is that close that on the day it can go one or way or the other. You have to take each game on it’s own, go at it 100% and prepare right for each one.

“We came off the pitch against Liverpool and thought that although they dominated a lot of the play they were not that much better than us. We all took some confidence from that, and the results we have had on the road have lifted us again. The squad hopes we can get into fourth place, but there’s saying and then there’s doing it!

“Come Saturday, we have to make sure we get it right because if we don’t we could be seventh or eighth, it’s that close at the moment,” he concludes.

(Hope I've got it right this time - posted this it to the wrong site previously - apparently there's another team in Manchester.)

I have been listening to a lot of interviews on the BBC recently and I wondered if you knew, Mr BJ, that may people regard Man City, indirectly, as being responsible for that nice Mr Allardyce getting the sack at Newcastle.

1 He signed Joey Barton from City - and that shows a great lack of judgement and

2 he has had 8 months to turn Newcastle round but hasn't, whereas in half that time Sven had Man City in the top four!

Nah, i can't see there being anything in that Lawling.

Yes Barton is a flop but name me a team who hasn't bought a flop before. It's not enough to get the sack.

As for our turnaround. It would be most unfair to directly compare one club to another and then give the manager the sack.

Sven targets creative players

City boss keen to resolve lack of goalscoring opportunities

Manchester City boss Sven Goran Eriksson is hopeful of bringing in fresh faces in a bid to rectify his side's lack of creativity.

Eriksson's men have picked up two victories in their previous 10 outings, and netted just 29 goals in 22 league games.

The Swedish tactician is concerned at the shortage of goals, and - with the aid of owner Thaksin Shinawatra - he plans to strengthen his side in the January transfer window.

"I spoke to him [Thaksin] and we will see what happens," Eriksson told the Manchester Evening News.

"We are working on things and hopefully they will happen but it must do so soon because January will soon be over.

"We have to create more chances. It is a little bit of a problem that has been hanging around us all season."

City have already brought in Mexico forward Nery Castillo, and been linked with a move for Roma star Mancini; while they had an approach for striker Djibril Cisse turned down.

From skysports:-

Man City v West Ham preview

Premier League sides do battle in third round replay

A trip to Sheffield United awaits the winners of Wednesday's FA Cup third round replay between Manchester City and West Ham.

City held The Hammers to a goalless draw at Upton Park earlier this month and will feel confident of finishing the job at Eastlands, even though their home form of late has tailed off.

Sven Goran Eriksson's side lost 2-0 to Tottenham in the Carling Cup to end their 100 per cent winning record at home, and have since drawn with Blackburn and Liverpool in the Premier League.

City's three games so far in 2008 have all been away and Eriksson may decide to freshen up his team following the 1-0 defeat to Everton at the weekend.

Rolando Bianchi, Stephen Ireland and Gelson Fernandes all came on as substitutes at Goodison Park and will be hoping for starting berths.

Michael Johnson (abdominal strain) and Emile Mpenza (hamstring) are both ruled out through injury.

Valeri Bojinov remains sidelined with a knee injury but is set to resume training before the end of the month.

West Ham have been inconsistent in recent weeks but returned to winning ways on Saturday with a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Fulham.

Alan Curbishley's injury worries are beginning to ease and he should be able to welcome back captain Lucas Neill following a hamstring problem.

Julien Faubert made a brief debut late on against Fulham and could again make the squad as he continues his comeback from a ruptured Achilles.

Lee Bowyer and Luis Boa Morte will both be pushing for places in the side after substitute appearances on Saturday while James Collins is pressing for a start in the centre of defence.

However, Scott Parker (knee), Nolberto Solano (groin), Bobby Zamora (knee) and Craig Bellamy (abdominal) are all still out.

Corluka's Wembley wish

Vedran Corluka is eyeing another visit to Wembley as City ready themselves for tonight’s FA Cup replay against West Ham.

The versatile Croatian has looked right at home in the Premier League since his arrival from Dinamo Zagreb last summer, but he admits he already knew all about the cup from when he was a youngster.

“We watched the 1999 final live because the Croatian player, Sylvio Maric, played for Newcastle. I hope I can be the next Croatian to get to an FA Cup final. It would be great to go back to Wembley for a final with my club, but of course I hope to be coming back in September with my country!” he smiles.

“Growing up in Croatia, this was the most famous competition in the world. I know all about the FA Cup and it’s a pleasure to play in it, I hope we can get through to the fourth round.”

The versatile 21-year-old, who has played at right back, in central defence and in central midfield for the Blues, also hopes that getting back in front of their own fans will inspire his City team mates after three consecutive away fixtures.

“We have only lost at home once, so it’s a big difference for us to play in front of our own fans. I think that it will be easier than in London, but even there we had more than 5,000 of our fans, and they were fantastic. They really helped us against West Ham and I hope they will do again to help us win the replay.

“West Ham are a good side, but I think we were unlucky with two penalties that we should have had. It will be hard against them again in the replay, but we’re strong and we have to win.”

A couple of snippets from the Sun and Mirror

The Sun

"Pod casts his spell on Tord"

Manchester City are close to a £12million deal for Germany hitman Lucas Podolski.

Podolski is fed up with life on the bench at Bayern Munich. And City boss Sven Goran Eriksson has sent close pal Tord Grip to try and negotiate a deal for the 22-year-old.

Daily Mirror

"Richard Dunne shock"

Richard Dunne could leave Manchester City after contract talks stalled.

Sven Goran Eriksson was confident his skipper and defensive stalwart would commit his future to the club when negotiations began last month.

But Dunne is unhappy with City's offer and talks between his advisers and the club have broken down.

The Republic of Ireland international has clocked up nearly 300 appearances in seven years with City and is determined not to sell himself short in the negotiations over his future.

Team-mate Micah Richards is demanding £70,000 a week to stay at City and Dunne wants a deal which reflects his huge worth to the club.

The Dublin-born centre-half is 28 and knows this next contract will take him through his peak years and could be his last big pay-day.

He has less than 18 months left on the £28,000-a-week deal he agreed in 2006 and the breakdown in talks will alert a number of Premier League clubs.

Newcastle United considered moving for him in the summer and one of the priorities for their new manager will be to sign a centre-half.

Eriksson will be desperate to hang on to Dunne and recently praised the former Everton star for acting as "big brother" for his younger players.

Dunne has transformed himself over the last few years from the tear-away who first joined City into their Player of the Year for the past three seasons.

He has become a huge favourite with the fans and they would be up in arms if the club could not hang on to a player in the form of his career.

From skysports:-

Man City v West Ham preview

Premier League sides do battle in third round replay

A trip to Sheffield United awaits the winners of Wednesday's FA Cup third round replay between Manchester City and West Ham.

IF the players were up to play Sheffield United as much as our supporters - then we'd walk it. But as it goes there's a glowing optimism amongst our own.

But as John Cleese once said :

It's not the despair that I can't handle. Despair isn't the problem. It's the hope that I find impossible to cope with.

Or words to that effect. :o

See you in the cup in Sheffield.

Cheers

SUFC

:o

Must admit, bit of a cr4p game last night. West Ham where the better team in the first half and we only started to play in the second half but i'll take the win :D

Your OK over there MrBoJ. I had to get up at 3am to watch it :D

Disappointed, we played for 15 minutes in the 2nd half. Fortunately we scored a goal :D

To be fair West Ham were just as dire. But onto Sheffield :D

See you in the cup in Sheffield.

Cheers

SUFC

:o

Must admit, bit of a cr4p game last night. West Ham where the better team in the first half and we only started to play in the second half but i'll take the win :D

Your OK over there MrBoJ. I had to get up at 3am to watch it :D

Disappointed, we played for 15 minutes in the 2nd half. Fortunately we scored a goal :D

To be fair West Ham were just as dire. But onto Sheffield :D

What do you mean "get up". When i'm over there and a late match is on, i don't bother going to bed :bah:

From the BBC:-

Man City 1 - 0 West Ham

Elano's header 18 minutes from time sank West Ham and handed Manchester City a FA Cup fourth round trip to Sheffield United.

The Brazilian dived into the six-yard box after Rolando Bianchi headed Martin Petrov's cross against an upright.

Dean Ashton missed West Ham's best chance after 30 minutes when he volleyed Luis Boa Morte's cross against City keeper Joe Hart.

Boa Morte was also denied by Hart as City held on to clinch the win.

The first-half was a desperately poor affair, with little or nothing to excite an Eastlands crowd that was well below capacity.

West Ham's Ashton wasted their best first-half chance, but City keeper Hart blocked his close-range effort after Boa Morte created the opening.

City suffered a blow two minutes later when on-loan Mexican Nery Castillo fell awkwardly under a challenge from Lucas Neill and was stretchered off with a dislocated shoulder.

Hart got the better of Ashton again in first-half injury time, halting the striker as he tried to take advantage of Richard Dunne's error. The loose ball fell to Boa Morte, but he blasted wildly off target.

West Ham started the second half brightly, and Boa Morte was guilty of selfish play after 52 minutes, choosing to shoot straight at Hart with Freddie Ljungberg waiting unmarked only six yards out with the goal at his mercy.

City carved out their first opportunity after 56 minutes, courtesy of a superb Petrov cross that substitute Bianchi could not turn in at the far post.

Petrov was City's outstanding performer, and it was no surprise that he was instrumental when they went ahead with 18 minutes left.

He delivered a superb far post cross that was diverted against an upright by Bianchi, and Elano dived bravely into the six-yard box to head home the rebound.

West Ham almost restored equality with eight minutes left when Lee Bowyer lifted the ball over the onrushing Hart, but Micah Richards made a superb covering header to deny Ashton.

Manchester City manager Sven-Goran Eriksson:

"It is good to see Elano coming back to normal because he has been down for a little while.

"We have not had the real Elano since October or November. The last two times he has come back from the national team he has been injured. Then he was a bit sick, so he has not been training regularly.

"Thankfully, he has trained well for a few weeks now and physically, he is a lot better than he was a month ago.

"He is a world-class player and when you are looking for someone to do something special in the last third, he is the man."

West Ham manager Alan Curbishley:

"We dominated for long periods. I was pleased with most of what we did but we didn't find the back of the net.

"We took the game to Manchester City but we didn't get the goal and paid the price.

"It is disappointing to go out, because it is a competition that every team in the Premier League has got to attack because a Premier League team is going to win it."

Dissapointed with our performance. Been abit lack lustre over the last few matches.

Match report from the beeb:-

Man City 1-1 West Ham

Darius Vassell cancelled out Carlton Cole's spectacular opener to extend Manchester City's unbeaten league record at Eastlands this season.

West Ham had taken the lead when Richard Dunne gave the ball away and Fredrik Ljungberg crossed for Cole to score with a superb acrobatic finish.

City levelled when Vassell prodded home Martin Petrov's vicious low cross.

The Hammers went on to dominate after the break but Joe Hart saved well from Mark Noble and Cole as City held out.

This was the second meeting between these sides in five days, and the third in 15.

Both of those encounters had come in the FA Cup, with City progressing after a replay, and both were tepid affairs which had hardly whet the appetite for another meeting.

But, with West Ham clearly out for revenge, there was a better tempo to this game from the off and Alan Curbishley's side got the start they were looking for too.

When Dunne carelessly ceded possession on the edge of his own box, Noble fed Ljungberg, who fired in a cross that Cole controlled before brilliantly flicking the ball over his head and into the corner of the net.

It was a setback for City but they responded well, and were soon level thanks to Petrov's persistence.

The Bulgarian's corner was only cleared back to him and he fired in another dangerous inswinger that bounced off George McCartney into the path of Vassell, who finished with aplomb from the edge of the six-yard box.

City's home form has kept them within touching distance of the frontrunners this season but, despite some neat touches by the likes of Elano and Stephen Ireland on the edge of the visitors' area, they never really built on their equaliser.

Instead, it was the Hammers who were doing most of the running, with the energetic Noble particularly impressive in midfield.

The England Under-21 star was doing his best to earn his side all three points and went close to restoring their lead when he shot over after making space for himself on the edge of the area.

West Ham were well on top by now and the unsighted Hart did well to push away Hayden Mullins's curling shot soon afterwards.

That gave the visitors further encouragement but they could still not find a way past City's young keeper, who produced two more fine saves before the end.

First he instinctively saved Noble's shot with an outstretched leg then kept out Cole's header at full stretch.

City created nothing in the second half, apart from a Rolando Bianchi shot from distance, and again showed why boss Sven-Goran Eriksson remains desperate to add another striker to his squad during the January transfer window.

A point was enough for Eriksson's side to return to fifth in the Premier League but, after just one win in their last six games, their push for Europe is beginning to stall.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Manchester City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson on goalkeeper Joe Hart:

"He played very well yet again. He has a great future and is a fantastic goalkeeper for his age.

"He is rather big, he is good on crosses and he is very brave.

"The only thing that is missing is experience. You cannot buy that - you have to stand there between the posts and let it happen over the years."

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley:

"I'm a little bit disappointed but it's great credit to the players that they deserved to be the first team to win here this season.

"We have had to chop and change all season but the players have done fantastically well.

"And, if we can carry on being as committed as we are, we'd still like to finish in the top eight."

Samaras set for Birmingham switch

Manchester City striker Georgios Samaras is poised to seal a move to Birmingham, BBC Sport understands.

The two clubs have agreed a fee for the Greek forward and he is now hammering out personal terms with Birmingham.

The Greece international joined Manchester City for £6m from Dutch side Heerenven in January 2006.

Samaras scored six goals for City last season, but has barely featured following the arrival of Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager last summer.

Samaras set for Birmingham switch

Manchester City striker Georgios Samaras is poised to seal a move to Birmingham, BBC Sport understands.

The two clubs have agreed a fee for the Greek forward and he is now hammering out personal terms with Birmingham.

The Greece international joined Manchester City for £6m from Dutch side Heerenven in January 2006.

Samaras scored six goals for City last season, but has barely featured following the arrival of Sven-Goran Eriksson as manager last summer.

Waste of money, in my opinion.

Could be good in a few years time, but right now he is Championship player at best :o

I guess 2.5- 3 mill is better than nothing :D

I hope no one does spoil it :o

from the beeb:-

Fans want Munich silence re-think

Manchester City's official supporters club has written to Manchester United to ask for applause to mark the 50th anniversary of the Munich air disaster.

A minute's silence is planned before the rivals' match at Old Trafford on 10 February to commemorate the 23 people who were killed in the plane crash.

But City fans feel applause would "drown out rather than highlight any idiot who does not show respect".

City have also urged their supporters to "uphold our good name".

Eight United stars and former City keeper Frank Swift were among those who lost their lives as a result of the crash, which happened on 6 February, 1958.

City's supporters group has written to both United and the Premier League ahead of the derby.

The letter says they "plead" with United to change their plans, adding: "Although there is some friendly rivalry between supporters of the two clubs, there is also a great deal of hatred.

"There will be some City fans who will not want to go along with the recognition of the disaster.

"We think it is obvious that if there is a minute's silence some fool will interrupt it and this will reflect very badly not only on Manchester City but on Manchester and football supporters in general."

However, United are believed to consider a minute's silence the most appropriate way to mark the anniversary of the disaster.

Manchester City's official stance is that they will support whatever decision United take.

They have also written to the 3,000 of their fans who have tickets for the derby to ask them to show respect.

The letter also points out that former City keeper Swift, who was working for the News of the World, was among those who died in the crash.

Just like the Chelsea game when I thought SGE got team selection wrong, I thought a crucial requirement to change the team round (after say 30 minutes) was required and he failed. They were running us ragged in midfield and none of our attack minded players bar Ireland were performing, so we desperately needed to change it around. I would have replaced Bianchi who was bobbins (he’s far too slow) with Nedum; Nedum right back, Charlie in alongside Hamann with Ireland moving wide right and Vassell moving in to Bianchi’s position. Unfortunately I thought SGE was trying to please the fringe players like Bianchi and Giovanni who might be leaving, to let them know they have a place here, but we were seriously outplayed and Giovanni coming on, Ireland (very unlucky) going off was not the answer!

The offside rule does require looking at, WHU lost out in this game like we lost out against Blackburn.

We seem to muddle through games picking up results but when have we outplayed anybody this season?

Welcome back Bred, been a while.

The offside rule does require looking at, WHU lost out in this game like we lost out against Blackburn.

I agree but i think we also had a shout for dangerous play with West Ham's goal. Micah got kicked in the head off Carlton Cole, as he tried to head it away. It was a great goal but his foot was too high. The ref later gave a decision for dangerous play when his foot was only at waist height. :o

At least this is a bit of good news:-

Daily Mail

Micah snubs Newcastle and Spurs to sign £10m City deal'

Micah Richards will end speculation about his future in the next 24 hours by signing a new deal with Manchester City worth more than £10 million.

Kevin Keegan had ambitiously targeted the 19-year-old as his first signing since taking over at Newcastle for the second time and Spurs had also expressed an interest in the England defender.

But Richards' advisers had insisted all along that staying at Eastlands was their priority and Sportsmail can reveal that the player is set to sign a four-and-a-half-year deal to commit his future to Sven Goran Eriksson's side.

The move will be a huge boost to Eriksson, who sees Richards' signing as a signal of Manchester City's ambition.

There had been concern at the length of time it has taken to complete but the deal had been complicated by Richards changing representatives during negotiations.

That alerted five Premier League sides, and while the player was on just £15,000-a-week, there were worries he would be tempted by a far higher offer.

In the end, City have put together a package that will earn Richards in excess of £55,000-a-week and secure his immediate future at Eastlands.

He did have just over two years remaining on the contract he signed in 2006, but his lot has risen dramatically since breaking into the England squad.

The new deal will run until 2012, although City are braced for renewed approaches for the current England right back in two years' time.

Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea have all monitored Richards' situation but the player was insistent that staying at City as he continued to progress was essential to his development.

It is also felt that being a first team regular is imperative, something United, Arsenal or Chelsea could not offer.

Richards broke into Manchester City's first team at just 17 and made his full international debut 12 months later, becoming England's youngest ever defender when he made he faced Holland in 2006. He has been at City since he was a youngster.

Has anybody noticed that without Michael Johnson we don't seem to function - particularly Elano.

I reckon we are about 2 players away from being a useful team. One wide right. One up front.

Find of the season, Hamann.

I am not at all sorry to see the back of Bianchi. I found it strange how he was worshipped so much, but for me he was slightly better than John Macken - he's too slow and not physical enough. Would he improve in time, NO! We're better off with Mpenza or Vassell, even though they score less they contribute more.

We need to get back to winning ways people, we've got some awful games coming up next month.