Manchester City

mrbojangles

Much changed side. Back 4 not 3. Yaya in front of defence in the Fernandinho role..I thought he was decent and he looks a new player now he's slimmed down. Gundogan alongside Yaya. Nolito up front; very busy n hardworking. Silva and kdb playing left and middle and swapping; kdb influential. Sterling right, decent 2nd half. Played ok but not great. Watford didn't offer much. Didn't squeeze us as some teams. Excellent 2 goals especially 1st; kdb cross from left cleverly over everyone in the box to zaba stealing in back post for good volleyed finish. Gundogan was tackled and clattered down, tried to run it off, probably made it worse and we fear the worst. Fernando came on for him and yaya pushed on. Navas came on for nolito 2nd half with sterling moving in. Watford had one chance only around 80mins which they should have put in but apart from that bravo had his best game (had nowt to do).Not great but we bossed the game, created little but no scarey moments bar one and good to get back to winning ways at home. Badly missing Fernandinho in particular and Aguero. Looks like Gundogan could have lengthy period out.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Just been watching Peps latest press conference. I like what I hear always. It's not going great recently but we're still thereabouts. If kdb had put the 2nd in against Chelsea it be very different but he didn't. Clearly he's stuck with players he inherited and those he bought and can only changecso much. We lack physicality at the back without Kompany and it's hurting us. He's honest that he's learning and didn't appreciate facets of the English game. But come on where not in that bad a shape. We'll see the season through do what we can and I reckon 2nd season will be better. Enjoy listening to him.

I think Pep is more than aware that despite his 21 trophies he likes to mention, frequently, he has an awful lot to prove, and frankly, he;'s struggling at an very cushy number.  I personally think and of course its my opinion only, he's crapping it right now.  Brought in a crap keeper, gotten rid of a very good keeper, defense is poor and if you really answer the question as to has he improved City the answers NO.  

Gifted success so far, lets see what he's made of this season.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Just been watching Peps latest press conference. I like what I hear always. It's not going great recently but we're still thereabouts. If kdb had put the 2nd in against Chelsea it be very different but he didn't. Clearly he's stuck with players he inherited and those he bought and can only changecso much. We lack physicality at the back without Kompany and it's hurting us. He's honest that he's learning and didn't appreciate facets of the English game. But come on where not in that bad a shape. We'll see the season through do what we can and I reckon 2nd season will be better. Enjoy listening to him.

Can't you get Mangala back :laugh:

"The crowd erupted. It is hard in these days of image rights, bodyguards and limousines with darkened windows for fans to feel close to those they support but Pablo Zabaleta, the oldest of Manchester City’s old guard, is genuinely loved. When he ran to the stands clutching the badge on his shirt, it did not feel like faked emotion." Too bloody true!

Pablo Zabaleta, He is the f*cking man, He is an Argentinian, He's harder than Jaap Stam (Jaap Stam)
He plays in Blue & White, For Pellegrini's men, And when we win the league, we'll sing this song again, Ohhhhhh...
Repeat.

13 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

"at an very cushy number"?

Explain.

Oh thats easy to answer.  He's gone to the richest club in the world with owners happy to spend whatever it takes to win trophies.  And please don't argue the point, it would be ridiculous.

17 hours ago, carmine said:

I think Pep is more than aware that despite his 21 trophies he likes to mention, frequently,   

When does he mention it, never mind frequently? I think it's the press who constantly write about it rather than Pep mentioning it.

• Like 1

"Oh thats easy to answer.  He's gone to the richest club in the world with owners happy to spend whatever it takes to win trophies.  And please don't argue the point, it would be ridiculous."

It clearly would be ridiculous to argue anything, because as everybody knows, the richest club in every league always wins its championship, its that simple.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

28 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

When does he mention it, never mind frequently? I think it's the press who constantly write about it rather than Pep mentioning it.

I've heard him bark on about his trophies in atleast two interviews.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

It clearly would be ridiculous to argue anything, because as everybody knows, the richest club in every league always wins its championship, its that simple.

1 minute ago, Bredbury Blue said:

With the exception of Leicester last season the richest clubs are always there or there about.  He's not a risk taker is he Pep, never having to be in a situation of coaching a small underdog club.  He's not guaranteeing himself trophies but he's guaranteeing himself all the ingredients that go with it.  Do you disagree?

^With the exception of Leicester last season the richest clubs are always there or there about."
Aren't City managed by Pep THERE OR THERE ABOUT currently and since the start of the season? The feeling of City fans, and I've heard Pep say it in his conference of the past week, that IF kdbs 2yrd hit of the crossbar had gone in and we'd gone 2v0 up vs chelsea then we'd probably be looking at this differently. But City are 4th, above Spurs, just behind Arsenal and Liverpool but adrift currently of Chelsea, so we're there or there abouts aren't we. We and Arsenal and Leicester are still involved in the Big cup.
Things could be better but the media prefers hysteria and of course would love nothing better than one of the top 4 positioned premier managers currently to be sacked. I think our owners are smart enough to realise that Pep was left a poor defence that he needs time to be rebuild - his one booboo to date is loaning out Hart - and I'm sure they won't pander to the hysteria. I feel confident we'll be alright.

"He's not a risk taker is he Pep...:.
If you mean joining City, what's wrong with his decision? Don't the Klopps and Contis and Mourinhos rightly get the best positions and best paid jobs to choose from...of course they do. Each one of them started lowly and have been rewarded for their success.

What's your problem with Pep/City at the moment? Maybe Pep should buy Carrick and you'll be all over him!

He's not a risk taker is he Pep

24 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

^With the exception of Leicester last season the richest clubs are always there or there about."
Aren't City managed by Pep THERE OR THERE ABOUT currently and since the start of the season? The feeling of City fans, and I've heard Pep say it in his conference of the past week, that IF kdbs 2yrd hit of the crossbar had gone in and we'd gone 2v0 up vs chelsea then we'd probably be looking at this differently. But City are 4th, above Spurs, just behind Arsenal and Liverpool but adrift currently of Chelsea, so we're there or there abouts aren't we. We and Arsenal and Leicester are still involved in the Big cup.
Things could be better but the media prefers hysteria and of course would love nothing better than one of the top 4 positioned premier managers currently to be sacked. I think our owners are smart enough to realise that Pep was left a poor defence that he needs time to be rebuild - his one booboo to date is loaning out Hart - and I'm sure they won't pander to the hysteria. I feel confident we'll be alright.

"He's not a risk taker is he Pep...:.
If you mean joining City, what's wrong with his decision? Don't the Klopps and Contis and Mourinhos rightly get the best positions and best paid jobs to choose from...of course they do. Each one of them started lowly and have been rewarded for their success.

What's your problem with Pep/City at the moment? Maybe Pep should buy Carrick and you'll be all over him!

He's not a risk taker is he Pep

"His one booboo"  so is not strengthening his defence in the summer and  spending 98m on attacking players not another mistake ? 

Edited by alfieconn
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, carmine said:

I think its fascinating seeing if the highest paid manager in the world is actually that good!!  Thus far, the answers a very definite thumbs down but of course we'll see in time.  :smile:

Sorry to "but-in" on this conversation Carmine but a couple of weeks ago it was Mourinho you were calling a "busted flush" and now Guardiola is in your firing line ,instead of criticizing these two highly decorated managers maybe you could enlighten us on who you think is a good manager and why? 

:sad:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, petermik said:

Sorry to "but-in" on this conversation Carmine but a couple of weeks ago it was Mourinho you were calling a "busted flush" and now Guardiola is in your firing line ,instead of criticizing these two highly decorated managers maybe you could enlighten us on who you think is a good manager and why? 

Have you a point to make?

"I think its fascinating seeing if the highest paid manager in the world is actually that good!!"

I will agree that it is fascinating to see how the top managers like conti, klopp, mourinho, pep and wenger get on. Peps record speaks for itself in germany and spain but can he do it here we will see over the next 3 seasons.

Here's Pep's 'terrible' record after 16 games compared to previous seasons/managers:

Season / position after 16 / points after 16 / final position / manager

16/17 / 4th / 33 /

15/16 / 3rd / 32 / 4th / Pellegrini

14/15 / 2nd / 36 / 2nd / Pellegrini = better than Pep

13/14 / 4th / 32 / Champions / Pellegrini

12/13 / 2nd / 33 / 2nd / Mancini

11/12 / 1st / 41 / Champions / Mancini = better than Pep

10/11 / 4th / 29 / 3rd / Sparky & Mancini

So at this point of the season Pep has only been bettered twice.

Currently City are 2nd in the Away table and only 9th in the Home table so that should tell us when home teams play City and take us on we do well but when we're home we can't break park-the-bus teams and we get caught on the counter.

(Got Spurs last 7 seasons record at 16 game point - best is 34 pts. It's 30 / 26 / 24 / 25 / 26 / 34 / 26. Not so impressive!)

Pleased to City's unsung hero in the title seasons, Gareth Barry, (shades of Alan Oakes), has signed an extension with Everton until the summer of 2018. Only Bryan Giggs (632) has made more Premier League appearances than the 35-year-old Barry (609). Barring injury Barry should move ahead of Griggs in the 60 games available until his extension expires.

The biggest oversight was not strengthening the aging, slow defense.  Even if one assumed Kompany would be fit (a gargantuan assumption) the defense still looked fragile. Stones young and inexperienced, and Otamendi, while at times effective, a bull in a china shop. And then I'll beat the dead horse again, outside of Zabs, the other fullbacks are just woeful. Sagna and Clichy are well past their sell by date. Kolarov has some flashes of help attacking but his defensive ability is pitiful. Add in the mysterious Bravo. With pace more and more necessary to be successful City are sucking wind.

Big article today in The Guardian about all this, as well as Pep's tinkering. I think Pep will end up being successful in the EPL but winning the league seems a dream this year. The defensive personnel just aren't up to it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Pleased to City's unsung hero in the title seasons, Gareth Barry, (shades of Alan Oakes), has signed an extension with Everton until the summer of 2018. Only Bryan Giggs (632) has made more Premier League appearances than the 35-year-old Barry (609). Barring injury Barry should move ahead of Griggs in the 60 games available until his extension expires.

I wasn't heart broke to see Barry go but City could sure use him these days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, petermik said:

I think Carms must have had a row with a United fan the other week and a City fan this week. Otherwise I really don't know what Pep has done to deserve the wrath of Carms (get it wrath of khan )  Sorry, I shall get my coat

• Like 1