Manchester City

mrbojangles

2 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Unless there's a big change in Iniesta's thinking there's no chance (I doubt City would be interested, but you never know).  I think the China move awaits crossing a t and an i.

Personally I'd like to see him go to the MLS. China is a money pit but not much else, whereas football in the states is growing bigger by the year.

I think you are right, he's off to China. BBC reports he will receive a salary of 2.5million GBP per month..... maybe too rich even for the Sheik.

49 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Another stroll in the park, though that one Hammer goal was an annoyance. Wonderful game from Sterling.

I do hope Pep finds time to give Foden more chances.

Sterling is missing too many chances but at least he is giving assists until his scoring boots are fixed

Totally agree about Foden

35 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

Sterling is missing too many chances but at least he is giving assists until his scoring boots are fixed

Totally agree about Foden

Yeah Sterling can still be frustrating at times. Not sure I've ever seen a player who can be so good, as well as so bad at times. But his pace, quickness, and directness are awfully important.

10 minutes ago, jellydog said:

Yeah Sterling can still be frustrating at times. Not sure I've ever seen a player who can be so good, as well as so bad at times. But his pace, quickness, and directness are awfully important.

He's not getting penalties at the moment either. That one earlier was as nailed on as they come

• Like 1

Just now, mrbojangles said:

He's not getting penalties at the moment either. That one earlier was as nailed on as they come

I fear he has brought a bit of that on himself due to his going down so easily so often. I do wish he would cut that out. Yeah, that was a no brainer penalty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jellydog said:

Another stroll in the park, though that one Hammer goal was an annoyance. Wonderful game from Sterling.

I do hope Pep finds time to give Foden more chances.

I was hoping you would put your second string out and give us a chance. 

Carmine on 'The Harry Kane Team' thread about Pep on City's signing: "Just watch him though....the mere mention of money and he does a Jekyll and Hyde. Seems about hung up on it to me. Still i'd rather he has a hissy fit over the mention of money..."

Jekyll and Hyde yesterday, hung up on it - apparently - having a hissy fit: "Already he is thinking of next season. “Maybe two players – no more than that, for next year,” he said, before adding with a wry smile, “Although maybe with our club they will cost £1billion!”

Another enjoyable game in a brilliant season - I don't want it to end ;-)

So good for 85mins but gave them a look in for 5mins before HT: a decent club really needs to take a chance on Arnautović; he was causing us a bit of problems.

How we only scored four is a mystery; should have been double that...very wasteful, so many chances.

Edited by Bredbury Blue

23 hours ago, mrbojangles said:

Once a blue, always a blue. Zabbaletta credited with our 100th goal of the season.

Which is the fastest 100 goals in a season by any team since the prem began

Going over, with his mates, to acknowledge the City away support. Once a blue...

Screenshot_2018-04-30-20-54-45.png

What a shocking decision not to award Sterling a penalty when chopped down by Cresswell!

INCIDENT: Raheem Sterling is brought down in the box by Aaron Cresswell.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Wrong decision, penalty.

DERMOT SAYS: Absolutely a penalty. When I look at it, I actually think it is quite an easy penalty to give because the player goes in, the ball changes direction. And if Cresswell had got the ball, it would probably have gone out for a corner. So I think he has gone in, taken him down and it should have been a penalty. The referee [Neil Swarbrick] did not see it and he actually gave a handball against Sterling for trying to referee the game.

1 hour ago, Bredbury Blue said:

What a shocking decision not to award Sterling a penalty when chopped down by Cresswell!

INCIDENT: Raheem Sterling is brought down in the box by Aaron Cresswell.

DERMOT'S VERDICT: Wrong decision, penalty.

DERMOT SAYS: Absolutely a penalty. When I look at it, I actually think it is quite an easy penalty to give because the player goes in, the ball changes direction. And if Cresswell had got the ball, it would probably have gone out for a corner. So I think he has gone in, taken him down and it should have been a penalty. The referee [Neil Swarbrick] did not see it and he actually gave a handball against Sterling for trying to referee the game.

Sure as heck didn't need Dermot to confirm that one mate. Jelly and me confirmed it last night. Shocking reffing 

I'm sure Alfie will have taken note that Lukas Nmecha, 19-year-old striker, became the latest City academy graduate to make his debut for the club, vs WHU. Raised in Wythenshawe. Younger brother Felix is in the City under-18 squad.

If he's good enough he'll make it for us, if not he'll be sold on for a profit for a career elsewhere.

2 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

I'm sure Alfie will have taken note that Lukas Nmecha, 19-year-old striker, became the latest City academy graduate to make his debut for the club, vs WHU. Raised in Wythenshawe. Younger brother Felix is in the City under-18 squad.

If he's good enough he'll make it for us, if not he'll be sold on for a profit for a career elsewhere.

I dodint see the match but would have thought he’d be giving quite a few youngsters a run out now, seeing as there is zero risk and the title is won. Perfect opportunity to show he is willingly to give youth a go? 

1 hour ago, BangrakBob said:

I dodint see the match but would have thought he’d be giving quite a few youngsters a run out now, seeing as there is zero risk and the title is won. Perfect opportunity to show he is willingly to give youth a go? 

Yep, that kid Yaya who came on showed a lot of composure for a youngster:biggrin:

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

I agree and wanted to see some more kiddie time. However, Pep says it would be unfair on the teams who are fighting it out to stay up if effectively we put our feet up and not treat every game with respect. He is instilling the professionalism within the team that we should still go out in every game trying to win. I can understand his point and it would be unfair on say S'oton, Stoke and Swansea if we didn't try and beat Huddersfield on Sunday. But yeah, stuff em I'd still sooner see Foden etc getting some proper game time

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BangrakBob said:

Totally agree with you. 

I've seen Nmecha play a few times for the Academy and he doesn't really look ready for the Premier to me (he was a sub before in the caraboa cup run - scored a penalty in the penalty shootout). I reckon he's the 32nd player and 4th City kid (Maffeo, Diaz, Foden and Nmecha) to be given his debut by Pep:

https://www.mcfcwatch.com/2017/11/23/phil-foden-was-the-31st-player-pep-guardiola-has-handed-a-debut-to-who-were-the-others/

Foden is now definitely a part of the squad and I think he'll feature more and more next season and not go on loan.

Bit disappointed Brahim Diaz has not had more minutes recently. I really rate him - be interesting to see who does better over the years, Diaz or Foden.

Tosin (a CB) hasn't featured for a longtime and can see him going out on loan or being sold.

It WOULD be nice to see the kids get more minutes on the run in - strangely Yaya being rewarded with more minutes (looks useful again in his 20mins cameos). Think Pep wants to keep the team winning to go in to next season on a high and despite what he says he wants those records: 2 more goals (for most goals) and 1 more win (for most points and for most wins) - think that'll be his way of getting back at all the knockers last season.

Watched the postmatch WHU interview - he was on fine form - talking on buying just 1 or 2 for next season. Bale has been linked. Rumour of Stones and Bernardo swap for Isco (linked with Isco every season since Pelligrini joined us). Can't see either of those. We need another Fernandinho type (box-to-box/defensive duties), maybe another up front as we were short there when Aguero or Jesus was injured (a bit of height would be useful) and he might go for a LB or he may consider he's unearthed a diamond in Delph and/or Zinchenko. Merlin has a few years left so there's no panic finding his replacement just yet - Foden, Gundogan and Bernardo will all be given opportunities there to be the replacement (and they're all lefties).

And then we have the returning loanies. Angelino (LB) at Breda and Maffeo (RB) at Girona have both had great seasons - will one or both return, stay on loan or be sold on (can see Maffeo returning, and Angelino returning only if the more adaptable Zinchenko is sold on). Denayer and Mangala will be sold on. Patrick Roberts is a strange one to read - his years on loan at Celtic have surely been good experience and improved him and we need backup for Sane and Sterling. Pep also has to decide what to do with out-on-lian Aleix Garcia at Girona and Manu Garcia (the star of his City academy team).

Great times ahead!

Edited by Bredbury Blue

TOMMY CATON: THE TEENAGE SENSATION GONE TOO SOON
30 Apr 2018

From a stellar teenage talent to a tragic early death, Tommy Caton’s star shone at its brightest during his time with City.

Tipped to captain England one day, the Kirkby-born teenager with a shock of blond curly hair, represented Liverpool Boys and England Under-16s before being snapped by the Blues for the 1978/79 campaign.

He quickly became an integral figure of the youth and reserve sides and played in both legs of the 1979 FA Youth Cup final against Millwall – City losing 2-0 on aggregate.

Malcolm Allison had returned to take the reins for the 1979/80 campaign and having sold off a host of established internationals during the summer, he instead focused on youth and for the opening First Division game of the 1979/80 campaign, the 16-year-old Caton and 17-year-old Steve Mackenzie were handed their debuts against Crystal Palace.

Caton also appeared in the Blues’ second consecutive run to the FA Youth Cup final, again playing in both legs of the final that City lost 3-2 on aggregate to Aston Villa.

Caton was a superb find for Allison and the teenager played in all 42 league games in his first season and when Allison was sacked a few months into the 1980/81, new manager John Bond had no hesitation on keeping Caton as part of his defence.

The youngster would experience a third successive year of final heartache as the Blues were beaten by Tottenham in the 1981 FA Cup final replay.

Such was his influence, he was voted the MCFC Player of the Year for 1981/82 – in a team that included Trevor Francis, Dennis Tueart and Joe Corrigan – the youngest ever recipient.

During the 1982/83 campaign, Caton became the youngest player to reach 100 top flight appearances, aged just 19 years and five months, but as City dramatically were relegated on the last day of the season with a 1-0 home loss against Luton Town, so Caton decided his future lay elsewhere.

He began the 1983/84 season alongside his regular defensive partner Nicky Reid before Arsenal had a bid of £500,000 accepted and the in December ’83.

He’d scored twice in a 2-1 win over the Gunners the previous season and they undoubtedly remembered Caton when they scoured for defensive recruitments.

Still only 21, he’d made two games shy of 200 appearances, scored eight goals and served the Club with great distinction and yet still had his whole career ahead of him.

Capped 14 times by England Under-21s, it seemed a call-up to the senior side was imminent for Caton, but it never came.

Despite craving a club with stability, his time with Arsenal saw several managerial changes (he’d already witnessed four at City) and his form seemed to suffer as a result.

Though he played 35 games in his first campaign, partway through his second season at Highbury he lost his place to the emerging Martin Keown.

His third campaign saw him slip further down the pecking order with Tony Adams and David O’Leary first choice so in February 1987, Caton accepted the chance to transfer to Oxford United who paid £160,000 for his services.

He would stay for 18 months at the Manor Ground, moving on to Charlton Athletic in November 1988 where he picked up a nasty ankle injury during his second season.

Caton battled for three years to recover from the injury, but he would never play again and finally was forced to retire in March 1993 aged 30.

A father of three young children, tragically, Tommy died of a heart attack on 30 April 1993 – just a few weeks after calling time on his career.

His son Andy, now 30, went to play for Swindon Town and several league non-League clubs.

As for his father, he remains one of the best young defenders the Blues have ever produced.

On this, the 25th anniversary of his death, the Club remembers one of its brightest talents.

11159-zoom.jpeg

Edited by Bredbury Blue
  • Like 1

As was expected in light of the enormous investment sheitty won the title but let's not kid ourselves that this achievement was the minimum requirement and given the massive investment, expected. 

So the season is over and the real work begins for city. Spending.

So let's discuss the needs. 

Kompany - gotta go game over

Otamendi - out

Transfer budget required for defence:

150m 

Midfield.

Toure - adios 

Silva - maybe? 

Foden - if foden had the skills pep craves he would have been tested more. He has not and should be sold for his own careers sake.

Transfer budget for midfield.

200m

Forwards

City did well up front but I think Aguero needs more competition than just Jesus.

2 forwards required.

Transfer budget 

200m

So not quite a billion but half a billion and with it will come the next expectation - CL glory.

The shocking thing is in all this is they have the alleged best manager of his generation and for them to be a force next season I bet he spends 500m.

If he does and he fails in CL and the title. That's it for Pep.The manager they waited so patiently for may be the catalyst for the sheikhs to pack up and sell.

12 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

As was expected in light of the enormous investment sheitty won the title but let's not kid ourselves that this achievement was the minimum requirement and given the massive investment, expected. 

So the season is over and the real work begins for city. Spending.

So let's discuss the needs. 

Kompany - gotta go game over

Otamendi - out

Transfer budget required for defence:

150m 

Midfield.

Toure - adios 

Silva - maybe? 

Foden - if foden had the skills pep craves he would have been tested more. He has not and should be sold for his own careers sake.

Transfer budget for midfield.

200m

Forwards

City did well up front but I think Aguero needs more competition than just Jesus.

2 forwards required.

Transfer budget 

200m

So not quite a billion but half a billion and with it will come the next expectation - CL glory.

The shocking thing is in all this is they have the alleged best manager of his generation and for them to be a force next season I bet he spends 500m.

If he does and he fails in CL and the title. That's it for Pep.The manager they waited so patiently for may be the catalyst for the sheikhs to pack up and sell.

R2D2 get a life mate. On such a big day for your club you prefer to come on here slagging off City rather than go on your Liverpool thread. That sums you up.

Anyway here we go, paragraph by paragraph:

1-3. Nonsense. Yawn.

4. Kompany I reckon will see out his contract (year left - married to a Manc and settled), has been decent on his return and has a huge influence. 

Otamendi has probably been our most improved player, easily good enough and going no where.

5. Yawn

Midfield

Toure - yep he'll be off. Thank you yaya, respect!

Merlin - going no where for 2 years then he'll be off

Foden - is 17 or so, very lightweight but very talented. No way will he be sold - very highly rated at City.

Budget - Yawn

6. Forwards - Agree we need another forward; hopefully one who's not another diddyman.

7. Yawn

8. Yawn

9. Yawn

10. Yawn

There you go.

Edited by Bredbury Blue
Got my paragraph numbering wrong

3 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

R2D2 get a life mate. On such a big day for your club you prefer to come on here slagging off City rather than go on your Liverpool thread. That sums you up.

Anyway here we go, paragraph by paragraph:

1-3. Nonsense. Yawn.

4. Kompany I reckon will see out his contract (year left - married to a Manc and settled), has been decent on his return and has a huge influence. 

Otamendi has probably been our most improved player, easily good enough and going no where.

5. Yawn

Midfield

Toure - yep he'll be off. Thank you yaya, respect!

Merlin - going no where for 2 years then he'll be off

Foden - is 17 or so, very lightweight but very talented. No way will he be sold - very highly rated at City.

Budget - Yawn

6. Forwards - Agree we need another forward; hopefully one who's not another diddyman.

7. Yawn

8. Yawn

9. Yawn

10. Yawn

There you go.

Yeah soz I needed to try and stay awake and to be honest the reason all this of such interest to me is the contrast between the two clubs and gulf in financial muscle and being so rusty in terms of continual elite European football and look where we are in the elite competition within Europe.  I think part of it is fan based. There's an expectation and there always will be as we are liverpool football club. CL FINALISTS 2018. net spend 18m and a better team without coutinho. Funny old world. 

Tell you what lads Edin Dzeko is a menace. 

I remember him being good, but I think he was a bit inconsistent, didn’t always get a good run of games?

After watching him against Barca and Liverpool I’m glad we don’t have to play him again,  seems an even better player now. Every time he got the ball you felt he could make something happen. 

• Like 1

"PEC Zwolle finally confirmed Philippe Sandler is leaving to join Manchester City this summer...The 21-year-old centre-back was reportedly signed back in February, but the deal hadn’t been confirmed by either club until now."

Watch; think you'll agree he looks Pep's type of defender.