How much money per month does the average village Thai need to live

oldsailor35

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cousin, 27 yrs old with a history in the barscene, of my wife told me that 30.000 bth a month was not enough. Surprised ?

Sounds like crap to me.

I only holiday in a full Issan village and would be hard pressed spending maybe 15k a month including drinking as much beer as I could a week.

I drink more than 2 cartons a week bored shirtless out there.

• Like 1

A cousin, 27 yrs old with a history in the barscene, of my wife told me that 30.000 bth a month was not enough. Surprised ?

Sounds like crap to me.

I only holiday in a full Issan village and would be hard pressed spending maybe 15k a month including drinking as much beer as I could a week.

I drink more than 2 cartons a week bored shirtless out there.

I cant agree more with you. I just shook my head when she told me.

Btw...not in Issaan.

• Like 1

My Aunt lives in a village on 3,000 bht/month I give her.

She is considered wealthy, by most of the other villagers.

No rent to pay as she lives alone on my farm.

She gets another 11,000 bht/year from renting out my fields.

She can easily earn 100-150 bht/day from home, but doesn't bother as she has enough.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

People who work for me the wife get paid anything from 100 to 350 per day, house keeper 100, farmers 150 to 250 depending on the experience and 350 for tradesmen if there good.

They usually get fed also if she likes them, and if she really likes them they get to drink my beer , with me in the evening,,, coffee1.gif

If She like them they get free food.

If She likes them more get to drink your beer.

Have to ask what happens if She really really really likes them ? :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

As someone who has traveled/lived in Thailand since 2005 and knows Thai people, I would like to answer it in two ways:

1). How much do they "need"?

2). How much do they want? Thai's believe that all farang's are rich.

My wife and I send her mother $10K THB every 2-weeks or $20THB per month. She lives approx. 1-hour north of Bangkok in a quit country setting. Prior to getting married 5-years ago, we replaced the house roof, expanded the housing footers, installed 2-septic drains. As we will retire to Thailand in 2-years, we returned to Thailand annually for 1-month where we do a lot of work on the house to keep everyone happy. We have painted the house, we have installed an A/C wall unit, bought a wide screen TV, refrigerator, computer so they can SKYPE for free, and even purchased a 2nd hand car. Last year we bought my wife's two boys (age 8 & 6) both an IPad which they love. We vacation to the beach when we return to Thailand and both her mother and boys come with us (everything is paid for - no questions asked).

My wife deals with her family (brother, aunt, uncle, niece or her Thai friends) re: additional money requests. My wife works here in the US which she funds these additional requests. She has learned the tough "NO" answer as they feel farang, and now she as my wife, have deep pockets.

We have discussed the monthly $20K THB when we retire which will be stopped as we will be on a retirement income. She/her mother understands.

Re: what they want --- my wife has conveyed her family (specifically aunts & uncles) has told her to get as much money from me (the farang) now as she doesn't know how long we will be married. My wife smiles and tells them to not worry as it is her business. Point being Thai's are heavily influenced by their family and unless you have a good wife/girlfriend, your finances could be impacted.

I recommend you figure out what you can afford and discuss this with your wife/girl friend. You might have to make some hard decisions.

Edited by lcp0761
  • Like 2

So, what do they need to survive or what do they need to live a comfortable life. The only way to live as cheap as some you post is never to go to town. I can rip through some money in the sticks easily. Money isn't given away, its spent on good Thai food, no farang diet, car related expenses, motorbike expenses, clothes, kids. You name it. It all adds up if you want to live comfortably.

6 years ago,,If you gave a thai girlfreind 10,000 a month,,she was content,,Now ,,no matter what you give ,,they always want more,,Even the fat old ugly ones,,There attitude now, is what is driving tourism away,,All that happens is,,The more you give,,The father uses more,on cigs thai whisky and thai girls,,and buffalo to show his wealth..

Canary sun lives on 6000 baht a month, and 2000 is on his accommodation in Naklua. There you go

He's been relatively quiet these past few days, Certainly hope he's OK.

He can't go out for 3 weeks because he spent 20 baht on repairing his flip-flop shoes

ahahahahaaa The legend lives on.

6000 - 10,000 thb per month is sufficient in most villages.. Even that puts the family in a middle class bracket.. The poorer families can get by on 2500 - 4000 thb. Food in the country is readily available and cheap.. It's a different life style out there.

Like someone else said, if your gf is young and pretty, there is no such thing as too much.. coffee1.gif

Edited by khaowong1

People who work for me the wife get paid anything from 100 to 350 per day, house keeper 100, farmers 150 to 250 depending on the experience and 350 for tradesmen if there good.

They usually get fed also if she likes them, and if she really likes them they get to drink my beer , with me in the evening,,, coffee1.gif

Sounds like a slave driver. 100 baht a day, that stingy even with a farang husband. Shameful.

6 years ago,,If you gave a thai girlfreind 10,000 a month,,she was content,,Now ,,no matter what you give ,,they always want more,,Even the fat old ugly ones,,There attitude now, is what is driving tourism away,,All that happens is,,The more you give,,The father uses more,on cigs thai whisky and thai girls,,and buffalo to show his wealth..

So, you're a fan of fat, old and ugly ladies?? Nice....

Canary sun lives on 6000 baht a month, and 2000 is on his accommodation in Naklua. There you go

He's been relatively quiet these past few days, Certainly hope he's OK.

He can't go out for 3 weeks because he spent 20 baht on repairing his flip-flop shoes

ahahahahaaa The legend lives on.

I've heard he had a accident when he was looking under the bed to see if he had lost any sleep..
  • Like 1

As someone who has traveled/lived in Thailand since 2005 and knows Thai people, I would like to answer it in two ways:

1). How much do they "need"?

2). How much do they want? Thai's believe that all farang's are rich.

My wife and I send her mother $10K THB every 2-weeks or $20THB per month. She lives approx. 1-hour north of Bangkok in a quit country setting. Prior to getting married 5-years ago, we replaced the house roof, expanded the housing footers, installed 2-septic drains. As we will retire to Thailand in 2-years, we returned to Thailand annually for 1-month where we do a lot of work on the house to keep everyone happy. We have painted the house, we have installed an A/C wall unit, bought a wide screen TV, refrigerator, computer so they can SKYPE for free, and even purchased a 2nd hand car. Last year we bought my wife's two boys (age 8 & 6) both an IPad which they love. We vacation to the beach when we return to Thailand and both her mother and boys come with us (everything is paid for - no questions asked).

My wife deals with her family (brother, aunt, uncle, niece or her Thai friends) re: additional money requests. My wife works here in the US which she funds these additional requests. She has learned the tough "NO" answer as they feel farang, and now she as my wife, have deep pockets.

We have discussed the monthly $20K THB when we retire which will be stopped as we will be on a retirement income. She/her mother understands.

Re: what they want --- my wife has conveyed her family (specifically aunts & uncles) has told her to get as much money from me (the farang) now as she doesn't know how long we will be married. My wife smiles and tells them to not worry as it is her business. Point being Thai's are heavily influenced by their family and unless you have a good wife/girlfriend, your finances could be impacted.

I recommend you figure out what you can afford and discuss this with your wife/girl friend. You might have to make some hard decisions.

I really don't have any problem, she is an educated business woman with 91 rai of Palm Oil. Early in the year she sold 2 businesses to concentrate on the PO farm. Was just curious as to whether she is paying enough in wages to workers. So all those posters that think i am trying to find out how much to pay the family..................forget it, they could pay me. One sister is a lawyer, the other owns a travel agency all three have uni degrees.

Send them down to me or ask them if they like to travel Sam Roi Yot have been looking for staff for ages even got sign outside the house in Thai asking for staff with salary price.............nothing....PS IM SERIOUS!!

I'm not aware of any adult where I live who would work for 100 baht/day. Offering such a low wage would be viewed as insulting and exploitative.

I can't think of many, if any, teenagers who would work for 100 baht/day either.

A young child might, but let's face it, the chances of getting a young child to put in a full day's work are pretty slim.

If I asked someone to feed my dog or water my garden once or twice a day while I was out of town, I might offer them a 100 baht per day.

But for a full day's work, even an infirm elderly grandmother paid to shell peanuts would expect more than 100 baht per day.

• Like 1

My wife sends her mum 10,000 baht a month, her mum has a shop in the village selling beer, whiskey and some food so she is pretty much self sufficient, she invests the money my wife sends her and has already made her shop twice the size, bought better fridges more stock etc, also 2000 baht of the 10k my wife sends is for motorbike finance on a new bike she just bought and she has also started a small pig farm, before she started the shop the 10 k per month would pretty much see her through the month, by the way she also part supports her parents (wifes grand parents) and my sister in laws 6 year old boy.

I

• Like 1

Sounds like a slave driver. 100 baht a day, that stingy even with a farang husband. Shameful.

She runs the the business and does a great job of it, I don't get involved she is a cheap Charlie but thats part of her charm. What i did not mention is that most of her workers are family's and are always seasonal so what they loose in one area they gain in another. Tell you what you try feeding 8 to 10 Thais lunch and dinner 6 days a week and let me know the cost then tell me how much you would pay.

If She like them they get free food.

If She likes them more get to drink your beer.

Have to ask what happens if She really really really likes them ? :-)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

thats just all wrong,,,, biggrin.png