How much money per month does the average village Thai need to live

oldsailor35

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cousin, 27 yrs old with a history in the barscene, of my wife told me that 30.000 bth a month was not enough. Surprised ?

Read me again...................Average villager !....................Need !.

Nothing about ex bar girls demands. Thank you.

Figure mum and dad plus one grand child, three adult children living elsewhere plus one pair of elderly parents also nearby. Mum makes and sales "stuff" locally, food or something else, dad odd jobs a lot, maybe on minimum wage, the kids send small amounts of money from time to time but the grand parents need financial support - they have a used Click or Dream on credit plus they owe a loan to the local cooperative which must be repaid monthly.

Income, 8k/12k month from all sources - expense, 8k/12k per month.

It depends on the level of household debt.

No debt =. No gambling. Locally brewed alcohol 40 baht a day for father..... Perhaps .....

5000 baht for someone uneducated who owns there own house is comfortable in the village. Assume rice and veg is grown for own consumption.

Educated girl might be able to find a decent job 10,000 baht (cashier supermarket). Husband labourer 10,000 if he is very lucky. Joint 20,000 income very good, if no debt, but this is rarely the case. Think car, motorbike, bank loan on the property. Also if there are children a good portion might be allocated for education.

If enquiry is about your girl, the family (if she lives with them) expectation will be any income is 'pooled' and expended jointly.

My GF has been sending home 10k home For the last 10 yrs... No complaints, No more asked for , No inflation, just thank her everymonth.. Seems to be working ok....

Is that from her working overseas or in Thailand, if the former it kinda distorts the picture.

My MIL has her rice from her field, although we pay for all that's needed to grow/harvest the rice, but her grand son stole most of her rice (to sell the rice and pay his yaba) I think she gets 500B/m pension or was this increased to 800B because she's 70+?

I also give her a "farang" pension of 1k baht.

Many villagers have nothing else for income.

When her husband was still alive he would catch a fish or a frog and sell some shrimp he fished with some handy made special net from the pond opposite his rice field.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

There is a difference between the "Cash" requirement and the batter or trade that often is a significant part of village life.

Many villagers supplement their income, or in some of my family, have very little income, but batter food etc grown and caught on their small farming blocks.

This income is not reported, and if you don't do it, i.e. have no farm, too lazy etc, then your "cash" requirement is significantly higher.

Some work we did in rural incomes a few years back suggest cash is only 40% of the transactions.

• Like 1

For rural average about 6,000 baht would be fine not with rent and a simple life. no fancy life.

Have friends live on less. But it depends on if you talk cash economy or a self reliant life style can be much less as is the case for most average villagers they produce at least some foods. .

• Like 1

People who work for me the wife get paid anything from 100 to 350 per day, house keeper 100, farmers 150 to 250 depending on the experience and 350 for tradesmen if there good.

They usually get fed also if she likes them, and if she really likes them they get to drink my beer , with me in the evening,,, coffee1.gif

Edited by Dublin