Blue book Yellow book , not in any book ?

BB1955

I have a friend that is almost complete on his home along with his Thai wife . He went to the local office here in Hang Dong to find out about getting listed in the blue book . They gave him a list of things to do such as go to the US Embassy to get certificate he is an American , then to immigration for something else . My question is I had always thought unless you were a permanent resident of Thailand you could not go in the blue book . Next the yellow book I aware of what you need I have one . Now next question is if your not in the blue book and don't have a yellow book . What does immigration want when you apply for a an extension based on retirement ....

His main concern other than that is to protect his interest should his wife die before him . I don't think either book does that and advised him to have her do a will willing her half to him .

Any suggestions or advice

Immigration wants different things from different people at different times. They have never asked me for any documents attesting to my residence in over 15 years of extensions.

Your friend will not get listed in the blue book.

Immigration in CM will want a copy of his wifes blue book and a copy of her ID card, both signed and dated by her.

Same for people living in a gfs house/condo.

To protect his interest re wife dying first.

Get her to register a will at the Ampur office leaving the house to him alone.

(Else he will only inherit 50-75% of the house, depending on house purchase before (50%)or after (75%) marriage)

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Immigration wants different things from different people at different times. They have never asked me for any documents attesting to my residence in over 15 years of extensions.

Your friend will not get listed in the blue book.

In 6 years of retirement extensions,in CM, never been asked for our marriage certificate, blue book or wife's ID but originals and/or copies are always in the brief case.

What is the Thai word for consistency ?

i recieved a blue book when i bought my first condo ages ago,personally i dont think the blue book means diddly squat.

Right in regards to property ownership it means nothing.

It is just one of the government's ways of trying to keep track of who lives where.

i recieved a blue book when i bought my first condo ages ago,personally i dont think the blue book means diddly squat.

You have the blue book, but if you look you will find your name is not in it. It is not having the blue book, but having your name in it which counts (although not for property inheritance issues). My understanding is that only Thais (and possibly permanent residents??) can get their name in a blue book.

It is impossible for a visa foreigner to get a blue book or be listed on one. Period.

Wrong, as I have had my name put in the blue book ( by the land registry office) for the condo which I own . I hold a non imm o visa . Period, exclamation mark .

The land is the thing that you can not own. I have a lease which is registered at the land office, I had a lawyer draw it up and the fellow at the land office cautioned my wife that it is a very powerful document. The lawyer said that my wife could not take a mortgage on the property without my signature, not sure if that is true. We both have wills that leave everything to each other, but my understanding is that if I inherit the house, the courts will give me up to one year to sell it.

All the blue book is basically is a registration of a right to vote. Just like in the UK, they have the electoral role, the blue book serves the same purpose. That's why foreigners can't get on it as, no matter how long we have been here, we are never eligible to vote.

• Like 1

It is possible you misrtead the specific reference in this thread. The Blue Book referred to is for house and land.

A condo owner does not own any part of the land the condo building is on or does he have any claim on it - a blue book in colour only.

A regular blue book (Tabien baan)is the ownership of the land and whatever building(s) happen to be on it.

It is not possible for a foreigner (excepting those few who have obtained Thai citizenship) to own land (being the primary name in a Blue Book) nor to have a claim on it (secondary or residence name).

It is impossible for a visa foreigner to get a blue book or be listed on one. Period.

Wrong, as I have had my name put in the blue book ( by the land registry office) for the condo which I own . I hold a non imm o visa . Period, exclamation mark .

A regular blue book (Tabien baan)is the ownership of the land and whatever building(s) happen to be on it.

I thought the legal document about ownership was the deed often a Cha Note, what does the Blue Book have to do with legal ownership?

Blue books seem to be for houses and listing all the Thai people living in them. There do not seem to be Blue Books for land unless there is a house on it.

It is possible you misrtead the specific reference in this thread. The Blue Book referred to is for house and land.

A condo owner does not own any part of the land the condo building is on or does he have any claim on it - a blue book in colour only.

It is not possible for a foreigner (excepting those few who have obtained Thai citizenship) to own land (being the primary name in a Blue Book) nor to have a claim on it (secondary or residence name).

A blue book has nothing to do with ownership of land or even the building on it, it is the address registration. You only get a blue book when a house is legally build on a land plot, and in the book is listed on the first page the " House Boss" who can be someone completely different from the owner, and on the next pages everybody who lives at that address.

• Like 1

You have the blue book, but if you look you will find your name is not in it. It is not having the blue book, but having your name in it which counts (although not for property inheritance issues). My understanding is that only Thais (and possibly permanent residents??) can get their name in a blue book.

I've had a PR for more than 18 years...I'm in the blue book...and before that on the white B3 registration form. You can trust me!

I've had a PR for more than 18 years...I'm in the blue book...and before that on the white B3 registration form. You can trust me!

Good, that confirms that permanent residents can get their name in the blue book. I was not sure of this before. Otherwise, only Thais, I believe.