In Penang now and nobody is getting a Education Visa, even a tourist visa is a big mess.

Also, Please show me one person that actually came to Thailand to study.

99.9% would have used it only as a 2nd option to prolong their stay with no intention to study.

Sent from my LG-D858

In 2012, there were 16,000+ foreigners studying in international bachelor's, master's and PhD programs through out Thailand. Some, like me, were here prior to starting school. But like myself, they've completed the degree and moved on to other things. Having an education creates opportunities and options an uneducated person might not have. The cost to study in the west is incredibly high and Thailand offers an option that is affordable and, depending on the student, of decent quality.

More than 150,000 Thai students study along side these 16,000+ foreign students because it's cheaper than studying abroad and the foreigners in the classroom add to the diversity of the education for the Thai student. If the average international program cost 25,000 baht, then about 400 million baht in revenue is generated. Most international programs in Thailand are much more than 25,000 baht.

I can't speak for the Thai language schools because I don't know much about them.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you tell your 'friend" that there is no such thing as a "Retirement" Visa! You do, in fact have to come into the country on a multi-entry O-Visa and after one month you may apply for a extension for "retirement". For that application there are requirements; age, medical, police report and finical statement and such.

No medical or police report is needed for an extension of stay being over 50.

I am not sure how it is but when someone applies a None O-A in Germany they need to show a medical and police report (original plus 2 copies) plus a letter in English with his bio data plus either 1600 Euros in pension per month or 20,000 Euros in a bank account.

Different embassies, different rules which makes it some time confusing.

This is exactly the kind of thing the OP is referring to I Think... For those who incessantly cry "it's the law, like or lump it"" Well that would be fine, IF the law was applied consistently....

I will give you an example.... What Mobile Content wrote above, is no doubt correct, as applied in Germany.. Today, yes today, I was in a Consulate in Australia... I just wanted a Toursit Visa, to tidy up a few things, and leave Thailand behind me... with the current rabble running the govt, I cannot plan anything anymore with certainty.. the rules change far too often,and from my viewpoint, the country is becoming even more insular, if that is possible. To those who say, "don't let the door hit your arse on the way out"... Don't worry I won't...

As explained above already, in this case there is no confusion or disuniformity.

Extension of stay for reason of retirement is issued in Thailand without medical or police record certificate.

Non-imm O-A visa is issued overseas with medical and police record certificate.

There have been no changes whatsoever in that.

If you have doubts on how to do things you can ask in this forum.

Why not use creditcards?

Where you ever young and excited to travel?

Yes, young and traveled, but not stupid. When traveling on a shoestring, you leave yourself vulnerable to rule changes and unexpected expenses. No worries for most, mommy and daddy will send money, so you can continue to be "on your own."

For others, it may be an important life lesson.

But...not to generalize under your personal biases, of course.

Hmmm, "personal biases," are you referring to my opinion?

99.9% would have used it only as a 2nd option to prolong their stay with no intention to study.

Sent from my LG-D858

I came to Thailand to study. I stayed because I loved it here.

• Like 1

I suggest you tell your 'friend" that there is no such thing as a "Retirement" Visa! You do, in fact have to come into the country on a multi-entry O-Visa and after one month you may apply for a extension for "retirement". For that application there are requirements; age, medical, police report and finical statement and such.

I am not sure how it is but when someone applies a None O-A in Germany they need to show a medical and police report (original plus 2 copies) plus a letter in English with his bio data plus either 1600 Euros in pension per month or 20,000 Euros in a bank account.

The confusion come from the fact that I wrote about extension of stay, that is not a visa.

Extension of stays are granted in Thailand with the support documents that you can read here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

Visa are issued at embassy and consulate outside Thailand. The requirement for non-imm O-A visa that you listed are pretty much the same everywhere in the world.

I fully understand Paz but their are people's in this world that do not go to a neighboring country and Varangkul mentioned about the situation about a O visa. As I said in many posts I take my visa issues very serious and always return to my home country.

If a farang retires in Thailand and decided from the home country he can get a None O-A and stays in Thailand for one year by making reports every 90 days.

I pointed out to None O-A and not an extension of stay in Thailand. Their are many foreigners that don't have a Thai lassie and take the road to apply for a O-A without applying for an extension of stay in Thailand as they got the correct visa at their local embassy in their home country already.

BTW I am all for it that every foreigner in Thailand that want to retire in Thailand should show the medical certificate and a police clearance report from the local police in their home country and only after those documents are issued should the Thai immigration be cleared to issue an extension of stay.

I mean it is strange that a foreigner can apply for an EOS by getting a visa O in Laos or Malaysia but they do not have to show any police clearance.

In fact I think all foreigners that are applying for a retirement extension should go back to their home country and apply at the local embassy to the the O-A processed and once they have their 1 year visa they are cleared and can request an EOS when the 12 months expires.

A lot of rubbish people will be screened out and another loophole will be closed.

The confusion come from the fact that I wrote about extension of stay, that is not a visa.

Extension of stays are granted in Thailand with the support documents that you can read here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/749918-thai-immigration-issues-new-police-order-3272557-effective-august-29-2014/

Visa are issued at embassy and consulate outside Thailand. The requirement for non-imm O-A visa that you listed are pretty much the same everywhere in the world.

I fully understand Paz but their are people's in this world that do not go to a neighboring country and Varangkul mentioned about the situation about a O visa. As I said in many posts I take my visa issues very serious and always return to my home country.

If a farang retires in Thailand and decided from the home country he can get a None O-A and stays in Thailand for one year by making reports every 90 days.

I pointed out to None O-A and not an extension of stay in Thailand. Their are many foreigners that don't have a Thai lassie and take the road to apply for a O-A without applying for an extension of stay in Thailand as they got the correct visa at their local embassy in their home country already.

BTW I am all for it that every foreigner in Thailand that want to retire in Thailand should show the medical certificate and a police clearance report from the local police in their home country and only after those documents are issued should the Thai immigration be cleared to issue an extension of stay.

I mean it is strange that a foreigner can apply for an EOS by getting a visa O in Laos or Malaysia but they do not have to show any police clearance.

In fact I think all foreigners that are applying for a retirement extension should go back to their home country and apply at the local embassy to the the O-A processed and once they have their 1 year visa they are cleared and can request an EOS when the 12 months expires.

A lot of rubbish people will be screened out and another loophole will be closed.

You can obtain a non O visa for the purpose of an extension of stay on the grounds of

retirement at immigration in Thailand.you do not need to apply outside Thailand.

Whilst I sympathize with anyone stranded at a border (never nice places) and not able to come back into a country they've made their home (even if they never had a long term visa) it always strikes me as odd just how unprepared some people are.

Even before the visa crackdown whenever I went on a border run or for a new visa I went prepared. I had a debit card, credit card, and wallet full of cash with me. On top of that passport copies, a copy of flight details out of the country and so on.

Just in case there were problems.

Yet I've met people on border runs who's passports were about to expire and had been told the month earlier not to come back to that border with the same passport turn up...with the same passport and not a baht in their pocket or a bank card to get money if needed so they could go elsewhere if they were refused entry.

Not a baht to their name and potentially stranded at a dodgy border.

Others who were on overstay but never had the money to pay it and thought they could somehow wing it.

Or even just people who turn up to the border with no money on them and assume there will be an ATM machine there and it turns out there isn't or it's broken and they've no cash.

To me that's just dumb. If you get caught out by accident because you didn't fully understand the rules or things change then fine but common sense goes a long way.

Sent from my LG-D858

So what if someone only signs up for an education visa to stay here long term?

Like you've said there's hardly any other use for it.

It's not like learning Thai is a sought after experience that people are going to travel half way around the world for,

So without people signing up to stay here long term there would be little need for it. And the Thai's would be loosing a lot of money in visa fees and school fees,.

I'm sure they don't want that.

I agree that people should go to their classes but I don't see why it's a problem if they only go to those classes so they can stay here long term.

It's a win win for everyone, the farang and the Thai's.

Many criminals use this visa to stay long term and work illegally. Good job keeping the country a little bit cleaner.

Don't criminals make their money through crime?

What they doing working if they have crime proceeds to live from?

Some people on here live in a fantasy land where anyone who does a border run is a criminal.

For the most part anyone working here illegally as a teacher is only doing it because the company they work for refuses to get them a work permit. No one wants to do border runs every 15-30 days, wasting a whole day in a cramped mini van playing "will I or won't I get back in to the country" with immigration or spend their whole time wondering if they'll get caught for working without a permit and thrown in jail.

I don't know why so many people on TV are so righteous about people breaking supposed laws (something the Thai's do every single day of their lives without issue). None of you have ever broken a law?

Did you forget prostitution was illegal in Thailand? Bet a few of you have had sex with one......

• Like 2

Now they just announced that they will change the rules again and you can get your education visa in thailand in future.

I have never understood why the government now sends people abroad to do the extension. It is not even any advantage to Thailand:

a ) people spend money on carriers as Air Asia, none of the spent money for the trip goes to Thailand

b ) the flying burns petrol and adds CO2 for our heating planet

Before it was possible to do the visa within Thailand. Even if this money went to officials, the money still was in Thailand. Now it just goes into the air, into greenhouse gas. Who could want that?

Does anyone know if so forward the visa can be gotten within Thailand again?

Edited by inwardglee
  • Like 1

I have an idea for the government to make a visa for people that under 50 not work and have enough fund.

Make a visa for these people with the condition to put 500.000 on a blocked bank account.

visa for a year with 3 monthly reporting.

the moment someone get caught working, he lose his visa and money. not working, just stay here and spend money = no problem.

end of visa : extension, or bank account unblocked.

• Like 1

There is no need to leave to a foreign country or home country, one can come in visa exempt or tourist visa, and have it converted to non-imm visa at a division head office. Cost Bt 2,000.

It is not mandatory to get a non-imm O-A visa from home country. You may have your own opinion about who is entitled to what, but the current regulations are what they are.

There you go NKM it's only 100k per year and you are legal, but why do I think you will

have another excuse ready as to why you cannot do things the legal way????

Its less than that if you plan to stay decades. It's renewable for life pending they don't just uproot the program one day.
Hans - are you saying people can renew after 5 years without paying another 500K ?
Not now no.

Entry only is 500k for 5 years. My friend has the 20 year one but paid way less than the 2 million baht for 20 years today.

I'm just saying it's renewable and it isn't a shaft like many people believe this program would be.

I think 100k a year is very reasonable in the grand scheme of things.

Maybe it would be "fair" if it was 100,000 baht a year but it isn't ! You have to pay the 500,000 baht upfront all at once. At least the 800,000 baht for retirement visa you can spend---with the elite you just give them 500,000 for the honor of staying here.

• Like 2

Yeah, seriously, here's a 2009 thread about a 'crackdown' with post #2 being 'about time' http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/322740-ed-visa-crackdown/

Sorry Hans / others like you but this thread is an isolated issue with just Penang, and a few schools who aren't accredited. The people affected will likely switch school, pick a different consulate, and still be living here having absolute no effect on anyone other than a net positive to the Thai economy, in 2019.

I use an Ed visa to stay here, despite already speaking Thai by now, so I don't go to classes. Many people self-learn to a level well above that of classes (the curriculum is very simplistic) just from talking to people / having a Thai partner.

If I married my long term partner I'd magically then qualify for a 'legit visa' to stay here. But neither of us want that yet, and even if I did everything about my stay in Thailand would be the same. I'd still be with her, still spend the same amount per month, still fit into society in the same way.

So what difference does it make on what visa pretences I'm here, as a student or married to a Thai.

Edited by Tywais
Removed quoted flame
  • Like 1

I even saw people getting education visas to study Muay Thai/MMA.

That's really laughable.

Sent from my LG-D858

Why not? Actually Muay Thai is national sport they can proud for. Why not spread it around? How you can be in Thailand legally for studying Muay Thai especially if you're native English speaker? Cheating system with your fake ED visa?

Why not a visa for studying Muay thai, its not a fake ED visa. A couple of well known MMA fighters men and women came over here to refine their skills by learning Muay Thai. There is also a guy on YouTube who makes movies and teaches TaeKwondo and Martial arts. He came over for a year to learn Muay Thai and documented it on YouTube so no fake ed visa they were here to train. Can look him up on YT under KwonKicker

My point is that it's a hole for exploitation.

These schools have no affiliation with immigration nor is the attendance checked.

Do they make the applicant come in and show off some techniques like elbows or roundhouse kicks to the officer?

Just curious.

Sent from my LG-D858

You are so negative today old fart! am guessing you are jealous? You can't speak thai fluent or you can do martial arts, let the young-guns study whatever they want!

It will not affect you it will just bring in money to the country..

Great assumption of some random internet guy.

I'm hardly old. I'm just 37.

I speak thai, not fluent but enough to converse when needed and to not get ripped off.

I wish I could do martial arts but I just don't have the time.

Edited by hansgruber
  • Like 1

It's good to tighten these rules.

It was a free for all and kept the drifters in.

Hopefully some will give up and get out.

Muay Thai training shouldn't be suitable for this visa.

Sent from my LG-D858

I do not really understand the education visa but at the end of day, can they please inform people in advance... anyway i know already this will not happen

It's not the Immigration Department's responsibility to inform people. The onus is upon visa seekers to find out the requirements. It's the same everywhere in the world. You want to go visit a country, you find out the requirements.

I don't have any sympathy for the stranded visa-seekers.

• Like 2

Just out of curiosity, tge guys on an RD visa studying Muay Thai, do tgry have to do a demo for the immigration guys for an extension??

The ED visa for training MT is more a myth than anything. At most one could obtain a 90 days visa from a complacent consulate. No extension would ever be possible at Immigration.

The proficiency observation is instead a TV classic and no self-serious thread can do without it.

Just out of curiosity, tge guys on an RD visa studying Muay Thai, do tgry have to do a demo for the immigration guys for an extension??

The ED visa for training MT is more a myth than anything. At most one could obtain a 90 days visa from a complacent consulate. No extension would ever be possible at Immigration.

The proficiency observation is instead a TV classic and no self-serious thread can do without it.

It would be somewhat amusing though

It would be somewhat amusing though

Especially if Immigration recruits examiners from there

http://prisonfight.com/prison-fight-club/

Someone has been on an education visa for 30 years?

NO dont presume the worst of people. She had her own resort until recently and sold due to no bookings. She has been on Education visa for 1 year. She speaks fluent thai but wants to learn how to read and write.

There are many young people here, Lets keep to the point that they were not for-warned . Thailand allowed this behavior for many years so i think they should be a little more carful about making swift changes. I am also not against what the military are doing, but it is not good to leave so many people stranded like this..

·30 years had a resort but sold out surely that makes her over 50 and eligible for a retirement visa presuming she has sufficient funds.

• Like 1

I´ll ask again, would I be stupid to try to go to Penang to try to get a second tourist visa? I was there two months ago and got my first one for this Thailand trip.

You can extend for 30 days at Immigration, Bt 1,900. Then a better choice would be Laos for double entry tourist visa.

I have an idea for the government to make a visa for people that under 50 not work and have enough fund.

Make a visa for these people with the condition to put 500.000 on a blocked bank account.

visa for a year with 3 monthly reporting.

the moment someone get caught working, he lose his visa and money. not working, just stay here and spend money = no problem.

end of visa : extension, or bank account unblocked.

Why should those under 50 show less money than those over 50 on a retirement extension?

• Like 1