Mozilla Firefox Bookmarks & History

crabstix

My bookmarks for firefox all suddently disappeared! Along with the history of sites I visited (not so serious about this as much as I am my bookmarks)

Has this happened to anyone?

How did you get them back? Hope they are not gone forever!

Hi,

I had a simillar prob with my mozilla suite.

It came about when the machnine suddenly restarted for some reason or other.

It can happen when you do not shut down the programm after you have added some

bookmarks.

If you are lucky they are still in the folder that keeps your emails and other info like

bookmarks and you can get them back.

Do a quick google on that matter and you will find the info.

Good luck!

:o

Firefox maintains periodic backups so look in a directory like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\Admin\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\o65b4oej.default\bookmarkbackups

Replace "Admin" with the user name you have, and the "o65b4oej.default" will probably be something else also.

Forgot to add, the file names will be 'bookmarks-2006-mm-dd.html' where mm & dd are the month and day of the backup. Just copy the latest one (actually the latest one with the largest size due to firefox may have run a backup on your empty bookmark files) back one directory and rename it bookmarks.html

Edited by tywais

My bookmarks for firefox all suddently disappeared! Along with the history of sites I visited (not so serious about this as much as I am my bookmarks)

Has this happened to anyone?

How did you get them back? Hope they are not gone forever!

--------------------------------------------------------

Greetings ,

First try a restore. Otherwise : Recovery procedure if you have not closed the browser since losing bookmarks

If you haven't closed Firefox/Mozilla Suite after you first noticed you lost your bookmarks, you may be able to recover them using this method. In your profile folder, look for files whose names start with "bookmarks". (They can have different extensions.). The one containing your current bookmarks is likely to be the largest such file or the one most recently modified. If you wish, you can open the file with Firefox/Mozilla Suite or any browser to make sure it’s the right one. Do not completely close Firefox/Mozilla Suite yet. Copy the chosen file to a safe location (such as My Documents or the desktop on Windows XP) and rename it "bookmarks.html", if it isn’t already. Now, close Firefox/Mozilla Suite and copy the file back into your profile folder, overwriting the existing bookmarks.html file. Restart Firefox/Mozilla Suite, and check your bookmarks.

[edit]

Other methods of recovery

* Check the Recycle Bin/Trash for a file called bookmarks.html

* (Windows) Run the error-checking tool chkdsk (Windows 2000, XP) or scandisk (Windows 95, 98, ME) to see if you can recover any file fragments that contain your lost bookmarks. Look for files with names like FILE0001.chk or FILE0002.chk on the root directory (the files may be inside folders named FOUND.000 or similar). Open each file in Wordpad or Notepad and, if it contains bookmark data, rename it with an .html extension (for example, rename FILE0001.chk to bookmarks1.html). Finally, import the file using the Mozilla Suite or Firefox Bookmarks Manager [2] (see also Method 2, above).

* Use a file undelete utility to see if you can recover the file

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In any event download this free program - it will ensure that you don't have this problem again

Regards

-----------------------

MozBackup

Company: -- Author: Pavel Cvrcek

(Freeware)

Windows OS: Windows NOTES: Requires Mozilla or Mozilla Firefox or Mozilla Thunderbird or Netscape

Languages: English; language packs for other languages

Description: MozBackup is a utility for creating backups of Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird and Netscape profiles. It allows you to backup mail, favorites, contacts, etc.

Home Page:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

download page v 1.4.4 (2006-04-15) [ MozBackup-1.4.4-ENG.exe (711 KB) English] [ MozBackup-1.4.4-ENG.zip (594 KB) English]

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/download.php

Download translations:

http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/translations.php

(desc. rev.: 2006-06-01)

When you get your bookmarks and history back you might want to download the "FEBE" extension.

It backs up your Extensions, Bookmarks, Themes, Preferences and Cookies.

Works great.

Thanks touch.....it's brilliant and only 213 kb. I installed "Answers" extension also. Instant dictionary: Alt-Click on any word and you have it! :o