Opening A Resturant Thread, I Know Nothing About Thai Law Pls Help

Hi everyone im new to this forum, have spent 1 and 1/2 years in thailand out of the last 3. now i want to open a pizzairea resturant, On either Koh Samet or Koh Phanang depening on what units i find to let for this resturant and where i find it.

is 345000baht enough money realistically to do this, the equipment comes to about 80,000baht. but when renting a unit do i have to buy the unit like you do with a bar(then pay rent)? do i need a license to sell food and be open after 2am? (or pay the local police for that matter)

can i i get a visa to workj the resturant or is this going to be a huge problem with a smallamount in the bank account? so will i have to just watch my business?

im told rent is about 8000baht a month, but i don't know if its like england where by you can only use certain units to prepare and cook food?

sorry for the hundred questions but i don't want to get anything wrong.

Im looking to come over in august and open up in september.. :o

Hi everyone im new to this forum, have spent 1 and 1/2 years in thailand out of the last 3. now i want to open a pizzairea resturant, On either Koh Samet or Koh Phanang depening on what units i find to let for this resturant and where i find it.

is 345000baht enough money realistically to do this, the equipment comes to about 80,000baht. but when renting a unit do i have to buy the unit like you do with a bar(then pay rent)? do i need a license to sell food and be open after 2am? (or pay the local police for that matter)

can i i get a visa to workj the resturant or is this going to be a huge problem with a smallamount in the bank account? so will i have to just watch my business?

im told rent is about 8000baht a month, but i don't know if its like england where by you can only use certain units to prepare and cook food?

Im looking to come over in august and open up in september.. :D

...and you've to buy first the keymoney 800'000 Baht ore more in Koh Samet or other places like that :o !

On the other hand Koh Samet could good use a real italystyle pizzaria.

...and you've to buy first the keymoney 800'000 Baht ore more in Koh Samet or other places like that :o !

what do you mean by that :D sorry im trying to get my head around it, if my thai wife hires out the site does she need the key money as it will all be in her name

by key money, money to hire out the unit?

Koh Samet needs a decent pizzirea, i've been making pizza's for 7 years for my own italian in england, fancy a change, but need to keep the english pizzariea open for income...

what do you mean by that :D sorry im trying to get my head around it, if my thai wife hires out the site does she need the key money as it will all be in her name

by key money, money to hire out the unit?

Koh Samet needs a decent pizzirea, i've been making pizza's for 7 years for my own italian in england, fancy a change, but need to keep the english pizzariea open for income...

I've lived in Koh Samet and I know the owner from Samet Pizzaria before (now has moved) and other people. Belive me, they all want to see first key money. If you want more details I'll ask tomorrow again.

can you exaplain what key money is?

my wife will be renting the site out (is it the same for thai's) is this a refundable deposit, or an investment? :o

i can get the money if he needs it, and could show it in my account, but couldn't give it to him not to never see again.. will i get this money back when i finish working at the resturant and close it down.

im quite interested to find out why he's no longer on koh samet? did the business not suceed?, i know when i've stayed there i've missed italian food, and there's been nothing in that way of food

any help mate would be greatly appreciated :D

If I were in your position I would not jump in with both feet. I would do a good bit of bar hopping and see if I could find one of the MANY bars who consider their kitchen a liability. You may be able to rent a kitchen in a bar without any key money and it could be a good deal for the bar as well as yourself. Low rent for you and a little extra income for the bar.

Im looking to come over in august and open up in september.. :o

If the restaurant is for fun only and not to provide an income to live off, fine. You should be aware that Thaialnd is not a year round destination for tourists, and for possibly 6 months of the year it'll have few or no customers.

If you're prepared to lose all your invested money, fine. Many have trod this path before you...and lost everything. Key money is never paid back, advance rental and all the equipment purchased will be difficult to sell on, Precede with CAUTION !

Personally I think Koh Samet is a pretty good bet compared with many other islands as it is

the closest Island to Bangkok, and therefore the low season is not as dramatically noticeable as it is in say Koh Chang.

I was there about 10 days ago and it was busy, even though the weather was not spectacular its a nice place to chill out and COOL DOWN!

We had one nasty dining experience on the beach which left several of us feeling not too chirpy the following day :o

I would say samet is a good bet if you can find somewhere.

I have never seen a business advertised for sale there though

TP

macleod101

Just spoke with an insider from Koh Samet about one hour ago that it's possible in some places to open a pizzeria restaurant there, but never for this sum you want or can invest. Much more then one million Baht he said and you can make also a good business there. But it's cheaper around Ban Phe or Klang beaches and there are also good places.

You've to know Koh Samet becomes more expensive the last times. In a very short time the National Parks increase the entry fee from 200 to 400 Baht - I've heard also today from Koh Samet (September should be offical for National Parks I've read in this forum). For some backpackers are too expensive after.

And "Key" money and "take over" money is not the same. Sorry, I've mixed together - because some before call it also so. So, the to take over money is what the other (in leasing) before has invested in Kitchen, furniture's, windows, doors, floors, tanks and also a bit the privilege of the place etc...

I don't hope you've to make open a new thread about what is "take over money" :o.

If you're interested? Please PM me, then you can speak with him yourself.

Key money=buying the rights to rent. i.e you pay me 1/2 million THB, and ill lease you the place. Trying to rent commercial property in Thailand without havign to pay key money is a nightmare. In my previous business i was having to deal with this malarky, and im just not gonna pay it. It took me 8 months of looking and asking, but i finally found a landlord with a brain, and didnt ppay any key money for a prime location in Patong beach, Phuket.

In the smaller, more lawless islands where the main familys run the show, im afraid you will have less chance. Plus, a Pizzeria in Samet? Isnt Samet supposed to be about seafood on the beach? I would guess (guess only!!) that the main customer base of a pizzeria would be backpacker types, or the lower end tourist. These people are being priced out of Samet as there is much better value available ellsewhere in Thailand, albeit further from Bangers.

This moring has visited me a bar owner (farang) from Koh Samet. I asked about what does it mean "to take over" money? He said, he only know the word "key money".

It looks like it's everything mixed together.

You can see I'm not involved in business :o and :D .

i'm still concerned about you always calling it a "pizzairea". the correct word is "pizzeria". please make sure you spell this right when naming the restaurant and please please (with a cherry on top) make it a real italian pizzeria, not with a 5-inch thick pizza base, there are already way too many of those including pizza hut and pizza company.

I don't know about other places but I thought key money was paid when you rented an existing business? We rented a commercial building in Thong Sala and the only thing we were required to pay was one year rent up front. Never heard of anyone paying anything more than rent for an empty building :o

As for the work permit, absolutely required. Immigration makes periodic trips over to the island and if you want to open in such a high profile place as Thong Sala you would be a fool to do it illegaly.

Also, be aware that Koh Phangan has a low season and in any retail business you must expect to be able to either tap into the (small) expat scene or to survive on the money you make in the high season (dec-apr).

I have to add one thing. I wouldn't open a business here (or anywhere else for that matter) without actually staying on the island for at least (very minimum!) 3 months. How do you know you'll like it?

i'm still concerned about you always calling it a "pizzairea". the correct word is "pizzeria". please make sure you spell this right when naming the restaurant and please please (with a cherry on top) make it a real italian pizzeria, not with a 5-inch thick pizza base, there are already way too many of those including pizza hut and pizza company.

Yeah, those Thais are real sticklers for correct spelling.

... is 345000baht enough money realistically to do this ...

... it might be possible to get something started for that amount, but then your pockets are empty ... what if customers just don't rush in in a steady stream from day one?

SBK is right..you should really spend some time anywhere before you decide to settle.

One Man's meat is another Man's poison so to speak.

It is true that the Backpackers can no longer really afford Samet.

The Bungalows we stayed in 18 months ago for 500 Baht have been replaced with better ones costing 2,100 Baht a night and that is LOW SEASON.

Be careful with your money...research is the key..and plenty of it.

Good Luck

TP