Bangkok: Dangerous, toxic gas found at Siam Square One

webfact

Do not breathe: Dangerous, toxic gas found at Siam Square One
By Coconuts Bangkok

siamsq.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Have you smelled rotten eggs while wandering around Siam Square One?

That’s actually a highly toxic and flammable gas which has been sickening employees since the mall opened in June, according to health officials and the shop owners who’ve banded together to go public with their complaints to the media after they said the mall’s management ignored them.

They said five letters complaining of foul-smelling gas went ignored by mall management until health officials came last month and confirmed health-threatening quantities of hydrogen sulfide were found in the mall.

The mall has since acknowledged the problem but will remain open despite the confirmed, ongoing presence of highly toxic and dangerous fumes.

Sitprapat Rodpim, a shop owner at Siam Square One, filed a police report last week after the department store attempted to evict him because he closed his shop and displayed messages on the window glass warning shoppers of the toxic air.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/21/do-not-breathe-dangerous-toxic-gas-found-siam-square-one

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-21

Do they allow smoking, or cooking with an open flame in that mall?

Maybe demonstrating the latest Weber BBQ?

I guess, if it is as flammable as they are purporting it to be, then it should not take much to set it off.

And considering that the mall management / owners have been informed of the problem

and decided to ignore it, then I suppose that their insurance would surely be void.

I suppose that it would be an ironic lesson if one of the tenants decided to do something about it themselves.

• Like 2

we produce this gas at the nickel mine I work at, been there for over 20 years, no health problems, if you can smell it then it's ok, if you can't it will kill you, still not too good for a shopping centre............cheers.

• Like 2

Hydrogen sulfide is very toxic, corrosive and flammable. It is most liking coming from the sewer. Surely this situation will not be allowed to go on. Someone will die or the whole place might explode. This mall must be shut down, the source found and eliminated.

• Like 2

Hydrogen sulphide gas is not only toxic and flamable, it also builds up in the body, plus when it burns phosgene gas is released, and that gas displaces oxygen in the blood stream, learnt about that as part of my navy training.

• Like 1

Typical Thailand...

The article talks about the government health officials taking readings and coming up with unsafe/unhealthy levels of the gas, and clearly there are complaints from occupants of the mall.

But no mention anywhere about why the health authorities aren't requiring the mall to be temporarily closed -- or some other ventilation measures be taken -- until they get the wastewater system repaired and the gas levels dissipate.

A closure order would be the surest way of ensuring that the mall gets the problem fixed in short order.

"A closure order would be the surest way of ensuring that the mall gets the problem fixed in short order." paid the relevant officials some serious bribes.

Fixed that for you. thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Hydrogen sulphide gas is not only toxic and flamable, it also builds up in the body, plus when it burns phosgene gas is released, and that gas displaces oxygen in the blood stream, learnt about that as part of my navy training.

Yes because it has been used in War, but it has go be highly concentrated or there will be no effect. I don't believe a sewer can build up the gas to dangerous levels, but anyway, if the place smells like rotten eggs, who want to go there shopping?

• Like 1

"The mall has since acknowledged the problem but will remain open despite the confirmed, ongoing presence of highly toxic and dangerous fumes." I hate to use over worked term "unbelievable" but I will. Okay, keep it open by have owners and health inspectors stay in most affected areas until problem is solved. If some gets sick and or dies, how about negligent homicide charges?

Hey, a lot of gas experts here, but this one is not quite correct as was the comment about 'hydrogen embrittlement' which usually occurs with Hydrogen gas at high pressure. H2S is corrosive however in the presence of moisture.

Burning H2S forms SO2 gas, not Phosgene (COCL2).

H2S is as poisonous as Cyanide gas (HCN) and blocks the transport of Oxygen in the body.

The gas is being formed by a build up of anaerobic sludge in sewers, and I bet they don't have personal gas monitors to go down there!

• Like 1

I know of this entrepreneur that is looking into opening a shop at front where he plans to rent Gas Masks. He said that if management doesn't want to close or fix the gas leaking then he will provide his services. Men, women and children are at risk of exposure and he thinks that once the media gets word of his temporary solution it will drive the point more and then they will need to close down until the problem is resolved.

Update: there is this other guy who just opened an Egg & Ham shop nearby who feels that he will gain more business because the smell will attract more clients.

Believe this story? Remember, anything is possible in LOS. :)

Its just a little sewer gas coming up from improperly installed sewer piping. Or could be lab upstairs dumping acid down the drains (like drain cleaner) which is reacting with the sludge in the pipes evolving H2S.

Most humans can detect H2S at 0.0047ppm. OSHA permissible 8 hour exposure level (PEL) is 10ppm. The lower explosive limit (LEL) of H2S is 4% by Volume (40,000ppm).

• Like 1

I wonder what would happen if Thailand ever got around to requiring mitigation of toxic molds in flooded buildings. I've never even heard of anyone mention mold contamination after the 2011 floods hit northern Bangkok.

Take a drive around the outskirts of Bangkok or around the motorways, look at the mold on the buildings and bridges.. It's way beyond ridiculous. coffee1.gif