Oscar Pistorius jailed for five years

webfact

Oscar Pistorius jailed for five years

(BBC) South African athlete Oscar Pistorius has been jailed for five years for killing his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.

Judge Thokozile Masipa, issuing the ruling in court in Pretoria, also gave Pistorius a three-year suspended sentence for a firearms charge.

The prosecution had called for a minimum 10-year sentence; the defence for community service and house arrest.

Pistorius was convicted of culpable homicide but cleared of murder.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-29700457

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-21

Pistorius sentenced to five years in jail

Paralympian Oscar Pistorius has been sentenced to five years in prison over the shooting death of his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp.

The double amputee sprinter was found guilty of culpable homicide last month after Judge Thokozile Masipa acquitted him of the more serious charge of murder over Steenkamp's death on Valentine's Day last year.

On the count of culpable homicide, she sentenced him to the maximum term of five years. On the second charge of violating the firearms act, she sentenced him to three years, wholly suspended.

The sentences would run concurrently.

Source: http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-news-world/pistorius-sentenced-to-five-years-in-jail-20141021-3ikc4.html

theage.jpg
-- The Age 2014-10-21

A fair and balanced sentence, based on cited case law not emotion.

Both parties seem to be OK with it, why not TVF members?

Having being able to witness and follow the court hearings on Television,I wonder if the Thai authorities would consider the trial of the two men accused of the island murder of the two british holiday makers, to be similarly covered?

I would have thought that any doubts on SA justice would have been dispelled by the worldwide coverage,so maybe a Thai similar coverage might help to dispell some doubts as to the quality of Thai justice system.

• Like 1

I'm glad he's going down, but it really is way too light and somewhat patronising to the family... if an ordinary black man from SOWETO had gunned down his girlfriend, he'd be looking at serious time. Understand he'll be vulnerable, but surely he'd be isolated from the GP to a degree?

I'm glad he's going down, but it really is way too light and somewhat patronising to the family... if an ordinary black man from SOWETO had gunned down his girlfriend, he'd be looking at serious time. Understand he'll be vulnerable, but surely he'd be isolated from the GP to a degree?

You mean 1st or 2nd degree murder?

Well you obviously have no clue about jail sentences handed out in SA irrespective of the race, 3-5 years are terms that have been handed out for murder, not manslaughter in some circumstances

but nice try anyway trying to play the race card all the same

5 years for manslaughter appears to be the appropriate sentence in this case, lest not forget he wasn't convicted of murder

Did he kill her intentionally, most likely, but it couldn't be proved

• Like 1

I'd love Pistorius to whip off his suit and have a Red teeshirt and Dungarees on, put a false mustache on, stick on a red flat cap, remove his legs & jump out court like Super Mario

Bet Reeva Steenkamp mother and family would love it too, if the court room was top for of a high rise.

I'd love Pistorius to whip off his suit and have a Red teeshirt and Dungarees on, put a false mustache on, stick on a red flat cap, remove his legs & jump out court like Super Mario

Bet Reeva Steenkamp mother and family would love it too, if the court room was top for of a high rise.

Reeva's mother said she thought the sentence was appropriate.

I'm sure if there's a book and movie forthcoming they might have negotiated with the Pestorious camp.

Well you obviously have no clue about jail sentences handed out in SA irrespective of the race, 3-5 years are terms that have been handed out for murder, not manslaughter in some circumstances

but nice try anyway trying to play the race card all the same

5 years for manslaughter appears to be the appropriate sentence in this case, lest not forget he wasn't convicted of murder

Did he kill her intentionally, most likely, but it couldn't be proved

Listening to the same old**** over and over again: It was never mean't to be proved,the blatant lack of Justice went right to the line of insanity!

• Like 1

A fair and balanced sentence, based on cited case law not emotion.

Both parties seem to be OK with it, why not TVF members?

Having being able to witness and follow the court hearings on Television,I wonder if the Thai authorities would consider the trial of the two men accused of the island murder of the two british holiday makers, to be similarly covered?

I would have thought that any doubts on SA justice would have been dispelled by the worldwide coverage,so maybe a Thai similar coverage might help to dispell some doubts as to the quality of Thai justice system.

Never going to happen, in Thailand.

A South African Female judge presiding over a murder case, of an International athlete, from her own homeland.

More chance of one day seeing a Palestinian Female Judge presiding over a court in Israel.