Koh Tao case influences tourist mood

webfact

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I will certainly visit the islands and support tourism in Thailand.

After justice for hannah and david.

This will not go away.

If i was advising Thailand TAT and law authorities or PM -

I would say immediately abandon the scrape goats -

Free them with a payment of 200,000 baht each -

Go to the Island and arrest the killers -

Meantime host a Televised Memorial with the works - done under western direction -

Have no less than the PM deliver after everyone else and apology - and announce the Mafia on this Island has been dismantled -

Security 24/7 placed for future security and deeply assure the Tourists Thailand has learnt its lessons .

Do that and Mean it - eat humble pie - and Thailand will heal its industry in which we control more than you by boycott.

Stick to this course and you will feel the pinch Nation wide and maybe even create an environment where things go very badly

• Like 1

joedot, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:45, said:joedot, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:45, said:

What's so great about Thailand? Can someone tell me what the allure is for millions of people aside from sex mongerers and young backpackers looking to go to a full moon party or yolo?

For a holiday I imagine!

Temples, architecture, beaches, natural beauty, wildlife, the weather (in the dry season), good shopping and the food. Those are the reasons I have spent many holidays in Thailand and I'm sure I'm not in a minority. But after the murders on Koh Tao and what I've learned in this forum, I'm not sure I want to come back.

spud1, on 21 Oct 2014 - 21:00, said:
MJP, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:49, said:
joedot, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:45, said:

What's so great about Thailand? Can someone tell me what the allure is for millions of people aside from sex mongerers and young backpackers looking to go to a full moon party or yolo?

Holidays, for normal people.

Affordable place to retire.

Sometimes the weather.

So can you give me a list of the negatives?.Maybe you don't have the time.

I think Joedot already stated them laugh.png

I would hope that in light of what happened and other mysterious cases they would finally put an end to all this full moon, drug taking, "the beach" senselessness. It is like Vang Vieng in Laos when it started to get out of hand and kids were dying they clamped down and now it is a normal place to visit.

Do they really care to make a change? Who's kids are going to die next? I can guarantee by the end of the high season there will be at least one kid going home in a box with dubious circumstances surrounding the reason why. Quite a few more will be going home in a box from their own foolishness as usual.

In itself there is nothing wrong with these young western kids going to full moon party's and taking drugs and getting drunk, its what young and old people on planet earth have always done.

The problem arises when Thais are allowed to murder, rape, steal and be as inhumane as they want knowing full well they'll get away with it.

natural things when on holiday.

A romantic stroll on the beach.

Enjoying the nightlife.

Wearing a bikini

Drinking beer

Smoking pot

Staying out late.

Dancing

Partying.

Unnatural things.

Drugging drinks.

Beating up

Raping

Killing

Ripping off

Intimidating

Police standing by and watching.

With regards to what you should and shouldnt do Thailand is well renowned as a place for hedonism just as somewhere like Ibiza is. Obviously one would behave differently in these places then they would if they went to the Lake District.

I will certainly visit the islands and support tourism in Thailand.

After justice for hannah and david.

This will not go away.

If i was advising Thailand TAT and law authorities or PM -

I would say immediately abandon the scrape goats -

Free them with a payment of 200,000 baht each -

Go to the Island and arrest the killers -

Meantime host a Televised Memorial with the works - done under western direction -

Have no less than the PM deliver after everyone else and apology - and announce the Mafia on this Island has been dismantled -

Security 24/7 placed for future security and deeply assure the Tourists Thailand has learnt its lessons .

Do that and Mean it - eat humble pie - and Thailand will heal its industry in which we control more than you by boycott.

Stick to this course and you will feel the pinch Nation wide and maybe even create an environment where things go very badly

Only 200.000 THB! they should receive millions after what they been trough!

Yes, only way to correct the 'mood', in part, is to catch, parade and bang up the real killers (the my-dad-is-bigger-than-yours Thais in the bar) and release the scapegoats. But that is easier said than done. Money is being lost and that is bad, but the one thing that trumps money here is face and plenty will be lost if everything is blown open. We'd all like to see the police being shamed, the 'mafia' disbanded and the PM apologise to the rest of the world... I just don't see any of that happening. Thailand has a long way to go and is moving in the wrong direction.

• Like 1

spud1, on 21 Oct 2014 - 21:00, said:
MJP, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:49, said:
joedot, on 21 Oct 2014 - 20:45, said:

Sometimes the weather.

So can you give me a list of the negatives?.Maybe you don't have the time.

I think Jeodot already stated the negatives, i.e. "sex mongerers" (whatever that means), young backpackers and full moon parties!

Koh Tao should be boycotted until the case is cleared up, I honestly find it a bit offensive that people are still picking it out as a worthy holiday destination as even the police have pointed it out that locals were of very little help in giving information to the police There is always power in numbers and I am convinced that people would follow a movement set up to boycott the place until justice has been completed.

• Like 1

I don't understand the logic of protecting the bar owners son and his partners. He really isn't that important on the national stage. But the country is willing to host international scorn to protect them. Not to mention the loss of revenue from tourism and the tarnishing of its international reputation. All of this just to protect some little scum mafia. There must be more important people behind this and if they start to unravel the crime it might lead to much bigger fish to fry. These people are so short sided it amazes me. They are willing to sacrifice the countries reputation for a handful of bloodsucking scum.

• Like 1

In 6 to 24 months?

Unfortunately no matter which way the decision goes this case will be long forgotten by the and replaced with didn't something happen there sometime ago.

Plenty of nasty things have happen in the past that have been forgotten.

<<<< Off topic deflection comments removed >>>>

Business as usual in those places.

The web don't forget.

I don't understand the logic of protecting the bar owners son and his partners. He really isn't that important on the national stage. But the country is willing to host international scorn to protect them. Not to mention the loss of revenue from tourism and the tarnishing of its international reputation. All of this just to protect some little scum mafia. There must be more important people behind this and if they start to unravel the crime it might lead to much bigger fish to fry. These people are so short sided it amazes me. They are willing to sacrifice the countries reputation for a handful of bloodsucking scum.

I think what we are witnessing is a standard method of investigating, protect the influential, set up some innocents, but this time the tried and proven game came unstuck and it was never supposed to get so out of hand. It happened because the world watched and didn't believe the lies and pitiful attempts at deception by Thai authorities.

Your right he isn't that important but all the players got caught in the wicked web they tried to weave and are not equipped to untangle themselves, simply because they have never had to in previous miscarriages of justice used to protect the high ups.

• Like 1

Thailand is the death capitol of the world for Aussies...many eyes are on Thailand for a string of things that make tourists uncomfortable...Political unrest...military coop...curfew...and so on...the murders are just another reason for tourist to give pause when considering Thailand as their holiday destination...

I'd love to know what it s like on Kho Tao right now if anyone is there and care to comment.

Are young backpackers still partying? Are drugs still available? Are they all dancing around to their doof doof music?

What's the vibe at the AC Bar like? Are people still getting drunk and partying with the local boys?

I would hope that in light of what happened and other mysterious cases they would finally put an end to all this full moon, drug taking, "the beach" senselessness. It is like Vang Vieng in Laos when it started to get out of hand and kids were dying they clamped down and now it is a normal place to visit.

Can Thailand step up to the plate? Or is there too much money in the drugs and alcohol sales now for it to end? Are the funds making their way too far up the chain for it to ever end?

Do they really care to make a change? Who's kids are going to die next? I can guarantee by the end of the high season there will be at least one kid going home in a box with dubious circumstances surrounding the reason why. Quite a few more will be going home in a box from their own foolishness as usual.

I too wondered why anyone would still go to the AC bar. That has to be one of the unsafest bars on the planet. Im not referring to another henious crime like the ones on young David and Hannah, I would be petrified of repreccussions from disgruntled Burmese.

Years ago some places had a bad reputation amongst young travellers, places like Singapore, Turkey and Malaysia. Their harsh laws and corrupt/ or over zealous police were off putting. They will never get their reputations back. Neither will Kabul or Peshawar but they were tourist places in the late 60s and 70s. The combination of harsh laws, corrupt police and and vicious jails just make everybody think of Midnight Express, the moveie in which American cops are working with Turkish cops and criminals to fit up young tourists. That's what Thailand looks like to me- extracts from Midnight Express.

and the movie Bangkok Hilton? Did that have any effect at all long term?

People have short term memories.. they are easily distracted. The TAT may sound ludicrous to us because we hear such drivel from them all the time, but to the average tourist they can sound quite plausible.

Lucky our phones are smart....

Yo Prayuth! Get those pollsters who got you a 93% approval rating to do their own poll on this subject - the situation needs correcting!

Dear Leader you can do no wrong you are 100% approved by 100% of the people and I can give you a stamp to prove it on paper if you like. Do not listen to the swine of the foreign press they know nothing.

Thailand, your centuries of isolation (policy) from the western world is now backfiring on you. But there is hope. Start with taking foreigners (and stop using the word farang) serious and on the average well educated people.

And especially TAT take note, you may need them.

Sometimes the weather.

The som tam isn't too shabby either!!

The survey showed that 94 per cent of tourists from the United Kingdom have knowledge of the murder, against 73 per cent in other European countries, such as Austria, Spain, France, Russia, Germany, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.

Why not from Burma?

Is that question a joke? An attempt at humor? Do you realize the level of censorship that the Burmese people have to endure? Even after the so called reforms. Very little freedom of the press, so the people are hearing what their own junta wants them to hear. Their government is even worse than ours.

Koh Tao case influences tourist mood...

Shame on the expat community for their continued support of Thailand. Yes, let's all ask the tourists to stay away but few of the expats are willing to vote with their feet. No doubt many of you will find this offensive but quite frankly you are the ones that ultimately support all that is wrong with Thailand.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it... get off your bar stools and walk. See how quickly you can effect change once you take away the one thing a Thai covets most... MONEY.

It's time the expat community found a spine and did the only decent thing ... leave.

There are dozens of reasons why people are following this story. But, one thing is for certain. The old school type of methodology that the police and the government are accustomed to using, in order to "make problems go away" no longer works in this era of the internet, you tube, twitter, Facebook, and easy access to information. People are not forgetting, despite how much Prayuth, the TAT, the AOT, the police, and all the others want them to. This will not go away. We must not let it go away. Thailand must be forced to make changes, reform, grow, mature, develop into a better country, introspect, admit guilt, admit it's own problems, admit it's own inadequacies, if it wants to move into the 21st. century. Unless of course it does not mind being left behind in the dust, by some of it's neighbors who are making an earnest effort to reform.

This case will probably be a positive in the long run, as it has put so much egg on the face of this nation, that they may be forced to make some changes, and embrace some reform. The Army had the opportunity one can only dream of, to take charge, and make sure that the headman's son was changed with this crime, as nearly everyone worldwide, now knows he was the guilty party. And does anybody believe it was his first homicide? They would have made a tremendous statement about their willingness to upset the status quo, and bring real justice to this nation, which is sorely accustomed to monkey courts, and fabricated justice. They did not. They chose not to. Why? Well, the answer is right there. Now they have to resort to fabricated polls, to make a point, and to show support.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2

Koh Tao case influences tourist mood...

Shame on the expat community for their continued support of Thailand. Yes, let's all ask the tourists to stay away but few of the expats are willing to vote with their feet. No doubt many of you will find this offensive but quite frankly you are the ones that ultimately support all that is wrong with Thailand.

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it... get off your bar stools and walk. See how quickly you can effect change once you take away the one thing a Thai covets most... MONEY.

It's time the expat community found a spine and did the only decent thing ... leave.

Another in series of ridiculous solutions. While I have personally imposed a lifetime ban on the filthy island of Tao, leaving the country is a bit of an extreme solution. So, for those of us who are married, and cannot get visas for our spouses in our home countries, what do you suggest? Leave our life partners? For those who have successful businesses here, that they have invested millions of baht into, what do you suggest, just abandon their livelihood, to make a point? And move back to a country they do not enjoy?

Suggestions are only taken seriously, when they are made by someone who has their feet firmly planted on terra firma. Sorry, but we do not take you seriously.

Years ago some places had a bad reputation amongst young travellers, places like Singapore, Turkey and Malaysia. Their harsh laws and corrupt/ or over zealous police were off putting. They will never get their reputations back. Neither will Kabul or Peshawar but they were tourist places in the late 60s and 70s. The combination of harsh laws, corrupt police and and vicious jails just make everybody think of Midnight Express, the moveie in which American cops are working with Turkish cops and criminals to fit up young tourists. That's what Thailand looks like to me- extracts from Midnight Express.

As I recall from movie the dude wasn't "fitted up". He was smuggling 2 kgs of hashish. It was the harsh prison treatment he got that made the impression on me. Were cops at airport supposed to ignore smuggling?

And I saw today on BBC that Singapore has been voted number one travel destination by Lonely Planet. Singapore is safe, honest and about as exciting as visiting shopping malls in Indiana. I took it off my list decades ago as they seemed to wash any flavor and charm away with big dose of Vutton.

Arguing with four girls, school teachers, in their mid-twenties, considering a 4 week diving trip to Thailand, particularly Koh Tao.

I told them I believe it is much safer than any town in Europe or the USA.

One of the girls (they've all dived in Greece and the Red Sea) was worried about Koh Tao but also Thailand in general.

The general consensus was that anywhere with a lot of booze is a bit risky - but they say that the added danger of an incompetent and corrupt police force willing to frame suspects after a torture session, really makes it out of bounds.

Their information source was the media but one of the girls quoted Thai Visa.

Whatever happened in Koh Tao, a huge number of people in Europe, believe it was not the 'accused' who murdered these folk. They actively believe the Police are engaged in a face saving criminal exercise.

Their conclusion was that it is too dangerous to go to Thailand.

Understandable but bloody annoying.

My family WILL be going to Koh Tao in July. But I must say I don't feel as good about it as before this tragedy's outcome.