Land Purchase

Just another question, when you have bought the land what controls are their for building on it?

Can you go ahead or do you have a Thai version of planning and building controls, this is only a small amount of land so no big building site?

Thanks

Moss

There are procedures to follow before building, although you would never believe it looking around . These include building permits and building laws such as allowing a 4m wide space between a public road and your building boundary line.

The Thai architect you use to draw up your plans should be able to advise and take care of these issues for you.

Thanks Malcolm,

I am sure the architect would sort any of these issues, but I was wondering, mainly, is if there are restrictions on actually building on some land, but on reflection, I expect this will be sorted through the solicitor when buying the land.

What actually when through my mind at the time of writing was buying the land and for some reason not being able to build on it.

But thanks for the reply.

Good Luck

Moss

Just another question, when you have bought the land what controls are their for building on it?

Can you go ahead or do you have a Thai version of planning and building controls, this is only a small amount of land so no big building site?

Thanks

Moss

There are procedures to follow before building, although you would never believe it looking around . These include building permits and building laws such as allowing a 4m wide space between a public road and your building boundary line.

The Thai architect you use to draw up your plans should be able to advise and take care of these issues for you.

Thanks Malcolm,

I am sure the architect would sort any of these issues, but I was wondering, mainly, is if there are restrictions on actually building on some land, but on reflection, I expect this will be sorted through the solicitor when buying the land.

What actually when through my mind at the time of writing was buying the land and for some reason not being able to build on it.

But thanks for the reply.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi guys bear with me first posting and all that,

after a bit of information that is probably a bit relevant to this subject. Me and the missus are looking at buying some land this august whilst on holiday. Going to be doing the usual thing i/e it will be in the wifes name (no problems there we already have 100 rai of rubbertrees up north so the trust is there and i have absolutely no probs on that score!) but have just realised that the missus changed her ID card to my surname on our last trip. Does anyone have any advice on whether that could be a problem. Also because we both live in the UK would that have any bearing on things. Hope someone out there can give us some guidance,

cheers Mark

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Thaivisa,

You'll have to wait for more informed info, but I do not believe it will be a problem, my wife has a change of name in her passport but has never changed her I.D

Do a search on the immigration sub-forums, I think I have seen a similar thread there and I think more informed opinion said it was a myth that it would be a problem, but I cannot remember for sure, either way I will try a quick search myself or this forum is also very informed, so just bide your time a little bit, I am sure someone will give the definitive answer.

Good Luck

Moss

Hi Mark,

Welcome to Thaivisa,

You'll have to wait for more informed info, but I do not believe it will be a problem, my wife has a change of name in her passport but has never changed her I.D

Do a search on the immigration sub-forums, I think I have seen a similar thread there and I think more informed opinion said it was a myth that it would be a problem, but I cannot remember for sure, either way I will try a quick search myself or this forum is also very informed, so just bide your time a little bit, I am sure someone will give the definitive answer.

Good Luck

Moss

Cheers Moss thanks for getting back,

I will try that but iam not overly worried. Seems iam pretty much opposite of you in that the missus still has her passport in her maiden name (with a small insert inside with the new surname pasted to it) but has changed her surname on her ID card. As i understand it in Thai marriages that is routine anyhow (taking the husbands surname) so I reckon we should be OK but its always good for someone else agree. While iam here did anything ever come of the new laws about fallang companies buying land or did that all blow over?

many thanks Mark

I'm an uninformed source but it seems to me that it used to be not allowed for a Thai woman who married a farang to buy land but that law was changed and now it can be very easily done, just find some land out on highway 61.

Edit:Sorry for the Bob Dylan flashback....I'm just saying that being married to a farang is not a problem any more for Thai women wanting to buy land....but you do have to sign a paper saying something like you have not claim on the land or something like that.....a more informed source is getting informed as we speak and will be sourcing you later I'm sure.

Chownah

Edited by chownah

I'm an uninformed source but it seems to me that it used to be not allowed for a Thai woman who married a farang to buy land but that law was changed and now it can be very easily done, just find some land out on highway 61.

Bloody hel_l that was quick,

yeah i think you are right that the law changed a few years back. As for the land we have been looking for months and prices keep going up (unless you want the middle of no where) initially we where looking for an house but with our budget there wasnt a lot available that appealed

hence the land option we have arrived at (also i dont want to line some realestate brokers pocket so we eventually found the land through a friend who lives near it) i figure this gives us more options in that we are not in any rush to move and with the rental market appearing to be pretty slow i dont think we are loseing anything, plus it gives me time to save some more.

thanks Mark

yeah i think you are right that the law changed a few years back. As for the land we have been looking for months and prices keep going up (unless you want the middle of no where) initially we where looking for an house but with our budget there wasnt a lot available that appealed

hence the land option we have arrived at (also i dont want to line some realestate brokers pocket so we eventually found the land through a friend who lives near it) i figure this gives us more options in that we are not in any rush to move and with the rental market appearing to be pretty slow i dont think we are loseing anything, plus it gives me time to save some more.

thanks Mark

While iam on a roll (got two fingers typing instead of the usual one) has anybody got any recent experience of building there own house. Any advice on costs, pitfalls, good builders in the Pattaya area horror stories whatever. Iam not looking to build a mansion and the land is already on a road so the services etc are in place already. Probably looking at a 3 bedroom house so if anyone has any wisdom to impart i would like to hear it

thanks again Mark

While iam on a roll (got two fingers typing instead of the usual one) has anybody got any recent experience of building there own house. Any advice on costs, pitfalls, good builders in the Pattaya area horror stories whatever. Iam not looking to build a mansion and the land is already on a road so the services etc are in place already. Probably looking at a 3 bedroom house so if anyone has any wisdom to impart i would like to hear it

thanks again Mark

Hi Mark I am going to tell you to do a search again there are a lot of people on here who have built/building there own houses.

Look at Blogs, Jaidee is just finishing his house and he has carried a blog on this forum.

Also search on the internet for 'Coolthaihouse' that is a very good blog too.

I believe Tuky has also posted his blog and there are others.

Good Luck

Moss

thanks again Mark

Hi Mark I am going to tell you to do a search again there are a lot of people on here who have built/building there own houses.

Look at Blogs, Jaidee is just finishing his house and he has carried a blog on this forum.

Also search on the internet for 'Coolthaihouse' that is a very good blog too.

I believe Tuky has also posted his blog and there are others.

Good Luck

Moss

cheers mate doing that now

thanks Mark

In pursuance of the Constitutional Court ruling on Human Rights grounds in 1998, No. Mor. Thor 0710/Vor.792 dated 23 March 1999 states " Any Thai having an alien spouse may purchase or accept land as a gift with no consideration and register such land during marriage under a condition that the spouse must jointly provide a written confirmation stating that the entire source of funds is solely from the "personal property" (as defined by Thai Law) of such Thai."

No problem you living in UK as long as you sign when in Thailand( to save problems) and your wife has ID and Tabien Baan.

Thanks Dragonman, that has helped me as well.

Being an alien from Planet Zog also doesn't preclude me, that is good

:o

seriously though, thanks

Someone did tell me because I was married in England and in the village but without getting it registered I was illegible for land purchase, I mean the wife was ineligible.

I did say this was horse hockey but you have confirmed it.

Good Luck

Moss

• 2 weeks later...
This is a very good thread, but I was a little surprised at how easy it all seems.

My wife is in the process of looking for some land, found something she likes and I have insisted that a solicitor is involved to ensure all legalities are in place.

Admitedly the solicitor is only a small amount of money but what you have said perhaps it is not necessary.

Just an update on my post.

It does appear to be as easy as you guys suggested.

The solicitor doesn't appear to be that necessary as the land office appeared, as it was related to me over the phone anyway, to deal with all the legal aspect as well.

The only hiccup was that I had to be there to sign a paper saying I would have no hold on the land if there was ever a problem with the wife, divorce, death etc.

So couldn't actually be completed on this occasion, but nevertheless a lot easier than I thought it could be.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Moss :o