Phuket: Tiger mauls Australian tourist at Tiger Kingdom

webfact

Tiger mauls Australian tourist at Tiger Kingdom

tig.jpg
Former Phuket News editor Jody Houton at Tiger Kingdom in 2013. Photo: The Phuket News

PHUKET: -- An Australian tourist was allegedly mauled by one of the tigers at the Tiger Kingdom park on Tuesday (October 21).

The man, who is believed to be in his 50s according to media reports, is currently at an area hospital receiving treatment though no other details are available at this moment.

A call by The Phuket News to Tiger Kingdom management was hung up within moments.

Staffers from both Bangkok Hospital and Phuket International Hospital declined to comment on whether they are treating the Australian tourist. Previously, all tourists who were involved in an accident the island have been sent to Bangkok Hospital.

Stay with The Phuket News for updates.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tiger-mauls-australian-tourist-at-tiger-kingdom-49277.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-10-22

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish him a speedy recovery.

DNA tests will show that this is an Asian tiger, probably of Burmese origin. RTP claim that the tiger made a confession. The tiger interpreter provided a certified translation that read "burp". The tiger now has spectacularly withdrawn her confession, saying she was beaten into the confession while a plastic bag was placed over her head.

The road from the Zoo will be blocked in a few days, perhaps Saturday, to ensure that no tigers involved in the attack leave. Until then ... business as usual.

Sorry to hear about this news.

I have worked part-time for 3 years at the Chiang Mai Tiger Kingdom. I'm not currently working there.

I will ask some of the staff tonight, and find out what happened.

Please stop saying that these are sedative...they're NOT!

Anyway...sorry to hear about the news!

Edited by brubakertx
  • Like 1

FYI, in case you didn't get the memo. Tigers and people don't mix well.

unless heavily sedated.

"....unless heavily sedated."

Park visitors, "journalists" and/or tigers??

An Australian tourist was allegedly mauled by one of the tigers at the Tiger Kingdom park on Tuesday (October 21).

Wonder what the source was regarding this alleged attack? Hospital and park have not confirmed ... bur hey let's run with the story.

Or further alleged updates.

Sorry to hear about this news.

I have worked part-time for 3 years at the Chiang Mai Tiger Kingdom. I'm not currently working there.

I will ask tonight some of the staff tonight, and find out what happened.

Please stop saying that these are sedative...they're NOT!

Anyway...sorry to hear about the news!

I'm sorry to hear about this incident too, but I'm afraid to say that I find that the testament of part-time workers, volunteers or even full-time workers at these places carries little or no weight at all.....they seldom understand enough about the issues to stand back and take an objective view and usually have received only partial education in animal husbandry and usually by the establishment that employs them.

on a tangent - I agree that "sedating" animals is often a red-hering, but I am also aware how animals ca be drugged without the knowledge of most of the staff.

one of the symptoms of regular sedation of animals is of course erratic and unpredictable behaviour.

as yet we don't have any details on this particular incident anyway so one has to refrain from judgement so far.......

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 2

"Previously, all tourists who were involved in an accident the island have been sent to Bangkok Hospital."

Rather a sweeping and definitely incorrect statement. Unless they are referring to Tiger Kingdom accidents. Maybe this isn't the first but others have been hushed up?

No doubt it will be business as usual despite this; big commissions to the taxi and tuktuk drivers.

• Like 1

Improperly trained/untrained humans shouldn't mingle with captive wild animals, no matter how tame said animals may seem. I'm surprised there aren't more instances like this. (Sometimes, I wish there were.)

Edited by Dararasmi
  • Like 2

An Australian tourist was allegedly mauled by one of the tigers at the Tiger Kingdom park on Tuesday (October 21).

Wonder what the source was regarding this alleged attack? Hospital and park have not confirmed ... bur hey let's run with the story.

Or further alleged updates.

To be fair to them they have updated the article now with details.

It has been confirmed that the victim is Paul Goudie, 49, from Hopper's Crossing, a subub of Melbourne in Victoria, Australia.

The animal apparently mauled his belly and both legs, but he is in satisfactory condition at the Phuket International Hospital, but further details are not yet available.

Contacted by The Phuket News, Tiger Kingdom responded by hanging up.

Thung tong Police said that they had received no report of the incident but Kathu District Chief Apisan Sa-Ngasri has gone to Tiger Kingdom to begin an investigation.

- See more at: http://www.thephuketnews.com/tiger-mauls-australian-tourist-at-tiger-kingdom-49277.php#sthash.UtsObOsT.dpuf

It is a bit sad for the tiger I think. People are everywhere and tigers can't be allowed to roam free. If they do, people will most likely end up as a food source for these large animals.

What is the solution? Do we have them stay on large tracks of land protected from interacting with people? Eventually, they will get out.....maybe. If they reproduce in significant numbers, then people might have to exterminate the potential threat.

Tigers are a victim of their own awesomeness. Maybe there is no room anymore for them on the planet. Maybe they should end up like the dinosaur. Can you imagine a T-Rex running around eating.....everything? Environmentalist hot on their trail screaming there are only 6 left and we need to save them!!!

Really? Is that true? Do we really miss the contribution of the T-Rex eating whatever they want? Would we equally miss the tiger in this part of the world? Other than for tourist, what benefit do they bring? They don't really have a dependable food source. At Tiger Kingdom they have a steady supply of chickens for the big game hunters. Not much of a challenge...not much of a life.

About the only thing you can do with an animal like this is to move them to some other part of the world where they can thrive. Thailand is not that place.

• Like 1

Hopefully the guy recovers without any permanent injuries.

Why are the hospitals being so hush hush about this? It's not as if they respect their patients privacy when it has been news worthy in the past.

Negative reflection for tourism is my opinion.

Very sad. Mind you: I have been telling people to not go to these Tiger Kingdom venues. The Tigers are full of tranquilizers they should re-name it Tiger Hell. There's a few of them. All the same. All just to satisfy this strange urge to have a photograph with a wild animal as if it's a pet. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Why are the hospitals being so hush hush about this? It's not as if they respect their patients privacy when it has been news worthy in the past.

An accident waiting to happen!

And just maybe the owner/s are very "influential" people.

I hope the person involved recovers quickly and well.

Edited by Dap
  • Like 1

Hope the guy recovers, but........Ever heard of Steve Irwin?

Or that Vegas guy?

I don't stick my hand in the fan, nor, run with scissors nor stick my finger up crocodile anuses or irritate elephants.

If it weighs more than me and has pointed teeth or spiky tails or is the size of a bus.....I stay away.

Took my wife to the Korat zoo one day & we went to see the Rhino's.

Only a steep ditch (no fence) separating us. I was taking pictures & turned around to see all 45 KG/99 lbs of her hiding behind a tree about 60 yards behind me. clap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 1

Breaking News!!!! RTP has just revealed the DNA of Said Tiger has been rushed through their Lab at the back of a pancake stand in Koh Samui. The origin of the Tiger was Burma. Unfortunately no interviews have taken place as the interpreter who had "A word" with the tiger was found in pieces. Evidence has revealed he had a club and a plastic bag in his hands.

• Like 1

I agree 100% the hospital dont give any further information, especially not the name and any more about the patiant. I would go on court it they would feed the newspapers or TV with detailed information if I would be the patiant: the type of coverage in Thai media constantly violates the private sphere and is touching human rights!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Probably been ordered to keep quiet as Phuket 's already tarnished tourist image is already in tatters and just can not stand any more bad news