Canada shootings: Soldier killed and Ottawa on lockdown

webfact

Ottawa shootings: Soldier killed and city on lockdown

(BBC) A gunman shot and killed a soldier at a war memorial in Ottawa, before police engaged in a gun battle inside the parliament building.

Police confirmed a gunman was shot dead, but Canada's capital remains on alert as they hunt for more suspects.

At a press conference, police said the situation was "ongoing" and "fluid".

It came hours after Canada raised its terror threat level, after another soldier was killed on Monday in a hit-and-run attack by a Muslim convert.

The country earlier this month announced plans to join the US-led campaign of air strikes against Islamic State (IS) militants in Iraq.

But there is no confirmation any of this week's attacks are linked to IS or the new military campaign.

Citing unnamed Canadian officials, US and Canadian news agencies identified the dead gunman as Michael Zehaf-Bibeau.

The latest incident began when soldiers guarding the memorial came under fire from a man carrying a rifle on Wednesday morning.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-29724907

bbclogo.jpg
-- BBC 2014-10-23

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Jessica Chasmar - The Washington Times - Wednesday, October 22, 2014

"A top Canadian naval officer reportedly warned soldiers on Tuesday not to wear their uniforms out in public for fear of being targeted, following two deadly attacks this week on uniformed soldiers in Quebec and Ontario."

"A top Canadian naval officer reportedly warned soldiers on Tuesday not to wear their uniforms out in public for fear of being targeted, following two deadly attacks this week on uniformed soldiers in Quebec and Ontario."

A bit hard when you are on ceremonial guard duty.

MORE

I don't think that will solve the problem!

The incident yesterday involved yet another convert.

Just more workplace violence. Nothing to do with radical Islam. rolleyes.gif

I trust that you are being sarcastic. Both incidents in the last three days, in which Canadian soldiers were killed, involved individuals who were on the Canadian terrorist watch list, and both had had their passports rescinded. These incidents both follow Canada's recent decision to join the war against the Islamic State (IS)

I trust that you are being sarcastic. Both incidents in the last three days, in which Canadian soldiers were killed, involved individuals who were on the Canadian terrorist watch list, and both had had their passports rescinded. These incidents both follow Canada's recent decision to join the war against the Islamic State (IS)

The clue is in the smiley.

Canada usually escapes the bad news that plagues its southern border. I hope they get the situation under control.

Not quite. My grandparents were French Canadian....we live about 90 minutes away from the the border in upstate NY. Canada has had it's share of terrorists/separatists movements....

good to be accurate. not as pristine and virgin like as you consider

Previously a safe haven for runaways/terrorists/draft evaders and the usual scum. Their naive generosity is now being repaid.

Edited by slipperylobster

That's what I thought !

Sad news.Maybe banning travel isn't the right way.

Yeah, it's wall to wall news here.

A recent convert, yet another troublemaker.

Even as a Canadian, I was unaware there's not much if any screening that goes on when visiting the parliament buildings. This will for sure change.

Poor 24 yr old kid, Mr. Cirillo (deceased) he was so proud of that post as he joined as a cadet at 13. He leaves a young son..

Hahaha

I hope your sense of humour isnt your best asset mate.

It is about pretty obvious sarcasm, not "humor".

I think you will find sarcasm is a form of humour. Its designed to get a laugh, albeit a bitter one.

Pity this wasnt funny.

It was meant to show irritation - before the usual suspects claimed it was not terrorism. Sarcasm can be used in a number of different ways.

These 'radical' idiots think that shooting a guy standing guard, probably quite still and unaware of whats coming, is righteous and will earn them martyrdom and 40 virgins in heaven.

Well, the joke is on them!

They are going straight to hell (not that I believe in such hocus pocus rubbish). The only martyrdom they have acheived is to their own cowardliness and gullability. Simple fools.

May they burn slowly and well.

Just thinking out loud, but instead of rescinding their passports before they leave, why not let them leave then rescind them so they cannot return?

By not letting them leave they are forcing to stay in Canada where they will carry out these acts and possibly indoctrinate others

Just thinking out loud, but instead of rescinding their passports before they leave, why not let them leave then rescind them so they cannot return?

By not letting them leave they are forcing to stay in Canada where they will carry out these acts and possibly indoctrinate others

There is a fine line. One of the inaliable rights of a citizen is to be able to enter their own country without restriction.

It is a concept while tempting to tamper with in cases like this is simply too fundamental and important a right to stop. Stuff like this is the basic tool of a dictator.

What you can do is make sure that when they land they go straight to jail. That for me is a good compromise.

I think you will find sarcasm is a form of humour. Its designed to get a laugh, albeit a bitter one.

Pity this wasnt funny.

It was meant to show irritation - before the usual suspects claimed it was not terrorism. Sarcasm can be used in a number of different ways.

It's called trolling and it will earn suspensions. Stick to the topic and at this point, I don't see anything humorous about what has happened.

.....on the watch list....passports rescinded........???

...and yet they were able to ...........walk around freely....get to the Nation's Capital....Parliament Hill............obtain weapons......???

...something does not add up here....

Yet another atrocity committed by a convert to the religion of peace.

How long is the list?

Richard Reid

Germaine Lindsay

Samantha Lewthwaite

Michael Adebolajo

Michael Adebowale

Martin Couture-Rouleau

And that's just off the top of my head. How many others?

Anyone converting to Islam in the west should undergo intense security checks and monitoring. At their own expense.

And just a matter of time before the forum's residents Islamists appear with their usual deflection, spin and apologist rhetoric.

10, 9, 8...

Edited by H1w4yR1da

Why rescind their passports ? Let them go off to the middle east and fight then bar re-entry if they haven,t already been killed smile.png

Possibly.

But they could also get advanced terrorist training in Isis-landia ... or be very naughty on an airplane.