I Predict A Nasty Accident On:

libya 115

Pattaya 2nd Road is one way, more or less. And I am sure everyone knows how heavy the traffic is and all about the speeding crazy traffic, baht bus, private cars and motorcycles etc.

But, I was observing just the other day two potentially fatal accidents, both totally different within the space of thirty seconds.

1} Some innocent Chinese/Korean tourists approached the second road out of soi 5. At the end of this soi is a 'zebra crossing' and they proceeded in a carefree manner to walk across the zebra crossing, not even looking out for traffic.

I nearly had a M.I. just looking on. They escaped with their lives by a few mm.

I say paint over all 'zebra crossings' NOW!

2} There is a baht bus (songthaew) that leaves the Big C shopping centre packed with passengers every 20 minutes or so. It proceeds the 'wrong way' down the second road, usually slowly and with headlights on. However some 'carefree' baht bus drivers have a death-wish and drive fast.

I observed a near-miss of terrifying proportions when a JCB speeding, just missed a 'head-on' with that said baht bus. I am sure in an argument a JCB would win a baht bus 'fight'.

So, my advice would be: don't travel on a passenger baht bus the 'wrong way' down the second road.

However, sadly, statistically; I feel that there is an accident waiting to happen during both the above situations.

I agree with getting rid of the zebra crossings - causes confusion. Tourists use them as they would back home but Thais don't know what they are for. Recipe for disaster.

The fact that someone has gone to the trouble organising and painting a zebra crossing means that they either had good intentions when painting it, or they just had some left-over white paint.

Pattaya 2nd Road is one way, more or less. And I am sure everyone knows how heavy the traffic is and all about the speeding crazy traffic, baht bus, private cars and motorcycles etc.

But, I was observing just the other day two potentially fatal accidents, both totally different within the space of thirty seconds.

1} Some innocent Chinese/Korean tourists approached the second road out of soi 5. At the end of this soi is a 'zebra crossing' and they proceeded in a carefree manner to walk across the zebra crossing, not even looking out for traffic.

I nearly had a M.I. just looking on. They escaped with their lives by a few mm.

2} There is a baht bus (songthaew) that leaves the Big C shopping centre packed with passengers every 20 minutes or so. It proceeds the 'wrong way' down the second road, usually slowly and with headlights on. However some 'carefree' baht bus drivers have a death-wish and drive fast.

I observed a near-miss of terrifying proportions when a JCB speeding, just missed a 'head-on' with that said baht bus. I am sure in an argument a JCB would win a baht bus 'fight'.

So, my advice would be: don't travel on a passenger baht bus the 'wrong way' down the second road.

However, sadly, statistically; I feel that there is an accident waiting to happen during both the above situations.

I have to agree with you on both counts.

The supposed zebra crossings are no protection at all to a pedestrian wishing to cross 2nd Rd..and you have to be fully alert whilst using them. Practically all riders and drivers take no notice of these crossings at all and proceed as if they were not there. They are certainly not there to protect the pedestrian.

Pelican crossings with red stop lights for motorists should be positioned strategically outside the busy crossing areas such as Mikes Shopping Mall and the Royal Garden Plaza, Big C etc. along 2nd Rd to allow pedestrians to cross with at least the knowledge that there is a red light facing the drivers, which should give them a chance of crossing in reasonable safety.

Your second point with regard to the passenger baht busses with the orange/yellow shields on the doors which identifies them from the ordinary baht bus is a ludicrous and very dangerous situation as they travel down 2nd Rd contra flow to the speeding traffic.

Although they have a lane marked off for their use with a single unbroken line...it seems that none of the oncoming traffic recognises this lane and they constantly use it themselves hurtling along on the very right hand side of the road.

I have seen these passenger baht busses creep around parked cars as the main traffic rushes towards them... and even having to stop as their lane is taken up by fast moving approaching vehicles.

Sadly a disaster waiting to happen!

SPOT-ON!!

Quote: Pattaya Fox

"I have seen these passenger baht busses creep around parked cars as the main traffic rushes towards them... and even having to stop as their lane is taken up by fast moving approaching vehicles.

Sadly a disaster waiting to happen!"

I had almost forgotten: the way they overtake, parked cars, vehicles, it is really awful to see, and the way they keep beeping the horn to warn traffic/pedestrians that they are approaching the 'wrong way'. Terrible.

I must write a letter about this to Pattaya Mail.

Just imagine a speeding tour bus, the driver temporarily daydreaming in that marked outside lane unaware of any such approaching 'baht bus'!

It is a 'Frida Kahlo type' accident waiting to happen.

I thought the zebra crossings were a target rich area to get hit in, I try not to cross if I can't do it at a fast walk.

I thought I was having deja-vu or something, then I realised we just did a large discussion on this in general topics (after that farang couple was killed trying to cross at a zebra stripe).

As someone else mentioned, it is almost a s dangerous to stop for pedestrians, as it is to just keep going and trying to avoid them.

With no traffic enforcement at all, drivers don't respect the crossings. Slowing down/stopping usually results in the other traffice zipping around you on either side, posing an even greater hazard to the pedestrians.

I try to make eye contact with the pedestrian(s) and then go around behind them, traffic permitting.

Sometimes you have to stop (like when you are trying to turn from #2 Road into the Marine Plaza, and you have that nasty mess of pedestrians, baht busses, tour busses, moto taxis and other vehicles all turning in and out of there at the same time).

No zebra crossing at all, and few accidents surprisingly enough. :o

Safety factor - there is no safety - weaving/dodging traffic is the most efficient way to cross 2nd road.

The most "efficient", probably the quickest and most fun, but not the safest method.

Someone else suggested in a thread about crossing #2 Road that the best (safest) way is to hire a baht bus. Little more expensive and slower, but less risky, especially for the geriatically challenged ! :o

It doesn't seem to matter to the authorities that accidents occur almost every day on Second Road.

It's a race track, and pedestrians are at fault for interrupting the race by trying to cross the road.

The police are off somewhere on Beach Road pulling in motor cyclists for not wearing a helmet. There is money to be made in enforcing helmet laws. No money to be made by protecting pedestrians.

Erecting a set of traffic/pedestrian lights outside Mikes Department Store (opposite Soi Diana) may be of some benefit to pedestrians, provided the laws are constantly enforced.

If traffic was forced to stop for these lights, the speed of the traffic flow in the near vicinity could be regulated.

.........but I won't hold my breath for that to happen, and I still won't trust motorists to take too much notice of any minor alterations to the race track. :o

Second Road is a war zone. Pedestrians are the enemy.

Pattaya 2nd Road is one way, more or less.

Perhaps not for much longer:

Decision on two-way traffic system due on August 2

Officials say making Pattaya Second Road two-way would be the best system to reduce traffic woes in the area.

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

A decision on whether or not to make Pattaya Second Road a two-way system is expected to be made on August 2.

The Traffic and Transport Research Center of Phra Chomklao University in Thonburi provided an update on their study of Pattaya’s traffic system at Pattaya District Office on July 19. The study is being undertaken to find a remedy for the city’s traffic woes. The center says that amongst the possible permutations, making only Second Road a two-way system will cause the least problems to the city’s traffic.

Asst Prof Thawatchai Laosirihongthong led his team of researchers in presenting results of the study to Mayor Niran Watthanasartsathorn.

Thawatchai said that results of the study showed a two-way system along Second Road was the best option as it will cause the least difficulties and iron out some of the problems of the present one-way system, as it would reduce the number of vehicles approaching the Dolphin Roundabout and entering Beach Road from there. When Beach Road is closed during activities the traffic congestion will not be as great, and it will also help to prepare for the lengthening of Walking Street that is slated for the future.

“A two-way system would come into effect from the Dolphin Roundabout all the way down to South Pattaya, dividing the road into four lanes, each lane 3.5 meters wide. Parking areas would be set out specifically and traffic markings would also be laid out along the entire route and would reduce traffic congestion on Beach Road, South Pattaya,” said Thawatchai.

The future extension of Walking Street would be feasible because there would be less traffic along Beach Road. Traffic signals would also be internationalized, footpaths set out and stall zones fixed which would also improve the tourism image.

Pichaet Uthaiwattanannont, director of Pattaya Public Works said that the traffic problem has many causes, one of the main ones being the number of cooperative song taews. The lengthening of Walking Street would also help to support newer public transport system like trams.

Niran said all options have their good and bad points, and the best option is the one that causes the least problems. He said he would study the options and make a decision by August 2, then the matter would be put to Pattaya City Council for approval.

Source: Pattaya Mail

Edited by Noel

The lengthening of Walking Street would also help to support newer public transport system like trams.

I can't see the sense in this. Shortening the drinking hours didn't stop some Pattaya ex-pats from running off the rails. :D

Can you imagine a tram system...it may stop those jumpers doing themselves in by crashing down to the pavement from high rise buildings. Now all they need do is to lie across the tram tracks. :D

Not to mention all the illegal sidewalk stalls lighting up their business each night by extending wires from the overhead electrical tramway cables to those little bulbs dangling over their wares. :D

Do the pay the person who comes up with all these ideas??? :o

Officials say making Pattaya Second Road two-way would be the best system to reduce traffic woes in the area.

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

A decision on whether or not to make Pattaya Second Road a two-way system is expected to be made on August 2.

The Traffic and Transport Research Center of Phra Chomklao University in Thonburi provided an update on their study of Pattaya’s traffic system at Pattaya District Office on July 19. The study is being undertaken to find a remedy for the city’s traffic woes. The center says that amongst the possible permutations, making only Second Road a two-way system will cause the least problems to the city’s traffic.

Asst Prof Thawatchai Laosirihongthong led his team of researchers in presenting results of the study to Mayor Niran Watthanasartsathorn.

Thawatchai said that results of the study showed a two-way system along Second Road was the best option as it will cause the least difficulties and iron out some of the problems of the present one-way system, as it would reduce the number of vehicles approaching the Dolphin Roundabout and entering Beach Road from there. When Beach Road is closed during activities the traffic congestion will not be as great, and it will also help to prepare for the lengthening of Walking Street that is slated for the future.

“A two-way system would come into effect from the Dolphin Roundabout all the way down to South Pattaya, dividing the road into four lanes, each lane 3.5 meters wide. Parking areas would be set out specifically and traffic markings would also be laid out along the entire route and would reduce traffic congestion on Beach Road, South Pattaya,” said Thawatchai.

The future extension of Walking Street would be feasible because there would be less traffic along Beach Road. Traffic signals would also be internationalized, footpaths set out and stall zones fixed which would also improve the tourism image.

Pichaet Uthaiwattanannont, director of Pattaya Public Works said that the traffic problem has many causes, one of the main ones being the number of cooperative song taews. The lengthening of Walking Street would also help to support newer public transport system like trams.

Niran said all options have their good and bad points, and the best option is the one that causes the least problems. He said he would study the options and make a decision by August 2, then the matter would be put to Pattaya City Council for approval.

Brilliant idea! 4 lanes, inside lanes in each direction blocked by parked m/cs, cars, baht buses as no-one here ever respects road markings and parking areas anyway. Outside lanes blocked by baht buses picking up / letting off passengers. Should work well. And as for crossing the road as a pedestrian, forget it!

DM

I took this on Beach Road, a crossing leading directly into some bushes

Yes quite typical :o it must be a left over from the great beach road promanade assult course installed at great public expense and still not finished.

post-2109-1154066789.jpg

post-2109-1154066834.jpg

Edited by johng

Brilliant idea! 4 lanes, inside lanes in each direction blocked by parked m/cs, cars, baht buses as no-one here ever respects road markings and parking areas anyway. Outside lanes blocked by baht buses picking up / letting off passengers. Should work well. And as for crossing the road as a pedestrian, forget it!

DM

Contrast that with a place like Vancouver. Certain streets have "no parking between 4-7pm" signs for example.

If your vehicle is still in that area after the designated time, expect a tow-truck to be along within minutes to impound your vehicle. I believe the city has an "open" contract with at least one tow-truck company, allowing them to tow vehicles from city streets without requiring a request from the police.

To get your vehicle back requires a trip to the impound lot, paying a parking ticket, towing fee and "storage fee" depending on how long your vehicle is in the lot.

Needless to say, very, very few people leave their vehicles in those areas during those times.

Getting more uniforms on the streets and handing out tickets/fines and/or impounding vehicles would go a long ways towards fixing a lot of the traffic problems here (it would also be a great source of income for the city, at least until people started wising up).

No doubt !

It would take a few shootings and gunfights between the drivers and the police, tow truck operators and impound lot operators, before things settled down. Might take a few months and dozens dead on all sides (with even more innocent bystanders), but eventually some kind of order would be restored, for a little while, until it started up again..... :o

post-5931-1154056474.jpgNot tried to post a pic before - hope it works....

I took this on Beach Road, a crossing leading directly into some bushes. 'Nuf said.

Come on now Barry, Zebra crossing were introduced in Pattaya as an alternative for balcony jumpers.

The one you show above was put there for the benefit of seriously troubled Scandinavians, with Viking descendants specifically in mind.

Rather thoughtful as regards the convenience of shovelling their remains into a barge to be cremated at sea after negotiating a 'bush' for the last time, don't you think...? :o

Ariyawat Nuamsawat

It was only a few years ago that Pattaya Council decided to make the then two way traffic system from Central Rd to the Dolphin roundabout and visa versa a one way system because they said that amongst other reasons too much traffic was entering Central Rd and Beach Rd and causing great congestion.

I remember when it was a two way system it was even worse trying to cross the road and you needed eyes in the back of your head as the traffic rushed towards you from both sides.

On many ocassions pedestrians were left stranded in the middle of the road waiting for a safe gap in the traffic.

So unless they introduce specific crossings where the traffic is controlled by lights then I fear that the pedestrian will be worse off then before.....At least now I can manage with only one eye in the back of my head. :o

If they introduce a 2 way traffic system then things will be much worse. 2 lanes will be gone to parking and the other lane each way will be continuously blocked by baht busses and double parkers. If they implement that then they have lost the plot, leave it as it is and perhaps introduce a couple of "real" pedestrian crossings.

By the way, why is it that they put lights in some places but never turn them on? Carrerfour lights is a good example, it is a busy intersection and all you got is flashing yellow lights.

All I want to know is how can I safely get from Bangkok Bank to Soi 6 without having an accident and my wife finding out

Leave your vehicle at the bank and take a baht bus to/from soi 6, then drive home afterwards.

Or tell the spouse that you were returning some books to the library on soi 6 (I hear there is a public library somewhere down that soi) :o

If they introduce a 2 way traffic system then things will be much worse. 2 lanes will be gone to parking and the other lane each way will be continuously blocked by baht busses and double parkers. If they implement that then they have lost the plot, leave it as it is and perhaps introduce a couple of "real" pedestrian crossings.

By the way, why is it that they put lights in some places but never turn them on? Carrerfour lights is a good example, it is a busy intersection and all you got is flashing yellow lights.

I believe that the idea is to 'speed the flow of traffic' so that at quiet times (ha!) vehicles don't need to wait at the junctions unnecessarily. At the Carrefour junction there is never a quiet time (well, maybe at 4 am) and they might just as well turn the lights off altogether because the flashing yellows do nothing except to indicate that there is a potentially hazardous junction ahead. Installing 'intelligent' lights would be a good move but probably no chance of this happening.

It is very tricky trying to turn right from Pattaya Klang into the Carrefour entrance - no-one is going to give way so you just have to force your way across. M/cs zooming every which way make things even worse, of course. After having numerous close shaves at this junction I find that a better option is to go down Pattaya Nua to Third Road, turn left and then use the back way into Carrefour. It's further to go but it sure is easier on the nerves.

DM

Yeah, that Carrefoure area is nuts, especially when trying to cross Center Road (entering or leaving).

I'm on a moto, so what I usually do is tuck in behind a car or baht bus and wait for them to force their way into the traffic. Once they've finally got the oncoming traffic to stop, then I zip ahead.

A little unnerving at times, as oncoming traffic doesn't want to slow down, and the traffic on your side has little reason to slow either. Got to keep your head on a swivel or grow eyes in the back of your head. :o

I believe that the idea is to 'speed the flow of traffic' so that at quiet times (ha!) vehicles don't need to wait at the junctions unnecessarily. At the Carrefour junction there is never a quiet time (well, maybe at 4 am) and they might just as well turn the lights off altogether because the flashing yellows do nothing except to indicate that there is a potentially hazardous junction ahead. Installing 'intelligent' lights would be a good move but probably no chance of this happening.

It is very tricky trying to turn right from Pattaya Klang into the Carrefour entrance - no-one is going to give way so you just have to force your way across. M/cs zooming every which way make things even worse, of course. After having numerous close shaves at this junction I find that a better option is to go down Pattaya Nua to Third Road, turn left and then use the back way into Carrefour. It's further to go but it sure is easier on the nerves.

DM

Just as mad, if not madder is the right turn from Sukhumvit into Soi Muslim. (Nern Plabwaan)

No lights, so the traffic builds up in the right hand 'turn' lane and eventually bulldozes its way across to the other side of Sukhumvit and into the Soi. You better stay close to the car in front or the South bound Sukhumvit traffic will bulldoze its way back through and stop you in your tracks.

It's sheer madness, because the Sukhumvit traffic is eventually forced to stop for a few minutes, so they might just as well put some lights there and let the vehicles go on a green light. Or just block the right turn and force the traffic to go to the next U- turn and come back - which is what I do.

I am usually fearless at these kinds of junctions, (The Carrefour turning holds no terrors for me), but I will not do that particular 'chicken' run- it's bloody scary - even more so for the bikes who usually lead the charge with school kids balancing from every inch of seat space. :o

Having red traffic light crossings on 2nd road would not work as one poster said, most thai drivers are color blind they would just run you down.the traffic would also build up causing traffic jams.The other way is to have walk overs this would help a lot of people cross 2nd road safely If you cant walk up stairs then it does not help those people but its a lot better than what they have now.

Having red traffic light crossings on 2nd road would not work as one poster said, most thai drivers are color blind they would just run you down.the traffic would also build up causing traffic jams.The other way is to have walk overs this would help a lot of people cross 2nd road safely If you cant walk up stairs then it does not help those people but its a lot better than what they have now.

How about giant pogo sticks?

Boing - Boing- Boing - over the road we go. :o

Safety factor - there is no safety - weaving/dodging traffic is the most efficient way to cross 2nd road.

Hi BM.....as someone said long ago, the safest way to get across Pattaya Second Road is to have been born on the other side. :o

All I want to know is how can I safely get from Bangkok Bank to Soi 6 without having an accident and my wife finding out

I try to cross the road with a local Thai between me and the oncoming traffic- sort of like a buffer!