Can my Thai wife go to immigration on my behalf?

Hello all. Simple question really. I applied for a NON O visa (based on marriage) the other day, supplied the documents ,and all seemed ok. I was told to go back on the 4th of next month. If I cannot make it, can my wife go on my behalf? Do I have to do anything first? Its easy enough for her to prove she is my wife. Is it that easy? I hope so.

Thanks in advance.

I think you applied for an extension of stay based upon marriage not at visa.

The normally will want you to be there. But if you wrote a note authorizing your wife to it they would probably let her do it. I would call the office to get the okay first though.

My wife went for me one time but that was after she talked to them phone. It also helped that they new her because she had been to the office several times with me or when she did my 90 day reports.

• Like 1

My husband is always going for me, i don't need to go myself. He just takes my passport, his ID and i think he takes the marriage certificate as well - not sure. Anyway, you do not need to go yourself.

• Like 1

My husband is always going for me, i don't need to go myself. He just takes my passport, his ID and i think he takes the marriage certificate as well - not sure. Anyway, you do not need to go yourself.

Maybe Immigration would be more amenable because he is a Thai man and you a mere woman in their eyes.

• Like 1

I was recently in hospital at the time of my 90 day report and was unable to travel. I obtained the necessary letter and my wife attended Udon Thani Immigration office however, after showing the officer photos of my condition, he told her not to worry about the letter, did not want it or the photos, as he could see clearly I was unable to travel and accepted the report from her.

I don't know if she can do this on other occasions when I am capable of attending myself but I thought it unusual that he did not want to see the letter from the hospital or at least get copies of the photos. Maybe because my wife is a government employee and always engages in conversation with the police when she attends with me that the officer accepted what she told them and duly issued her with a new reporting document. She told me the whole matter took about 5minutes to complete.

Another thing with this office is that they are now fully computerised and there is no need to complete any paperwork for the 90 day report. Wouldn't be great if this applied at the time of issuing the yearly retirement extension. Just have to wait until February next year to see if I get my wish.

Edited by Si Thea01

Maybe Immigration would be more amenable because he is a Thai man and you a mere woman in their eyes.

K Gandtee, I believe you hit the nail squarely on the head there...

Have your wife call and ask if she can do this with a power of attorney or if you need to be present. that's the best way to get the correct response. They are very friendly to deal with

I have been told that if I get to sick to go myself for extensions they will come and visit me for a charge which was not detailed but that I must be seen for an extension. 90 days are no problem as anyone can do them for anyone.

Have your wife call and ask if she can do this with a power of attorney or if you need to be present. that's the best way to get the correct response. They are very friendly to deal with

No offense but the remark they are very friendly to deal with, 555

i have been in this country as a retired person and

they are OK to deal with 95 percent of the time

but calling my Thai wife has tried in Bkk over and over

and calling 1111 hotline did not help when we needed an answer recently about

renewing my 5 year driver and motor cycle license and to ask

about proof of our address since I own my Condo here in Bkk,

we got no one to even answer that question until we went to

soi 62 and show them the documents from the land office and mail to me

from TOT and Electric and Truemove and Truevision and after all that

the lady was rude to us saying we have to go to Immigration or Embassy to get letter.

Again we called to ask Immigration CW what we needed to bring as proof to get the letter

and no one would answer and finally they answered and would hang up.

So we went this week and told to go J1 with copies of passport and all visa pages and departure card and

wait without a Que. So we waited outside and waited and when one of the officers came out

since we can see he and another lady were working with a farang for so long.

I said to him I have no que and need a letter for Driver license renewal five years and is this the right place to wait?

He rudely shrugged off my question and nodded his head. He later came back and when he finally finished with the other person we went in and after he asked us to fill out a form and spoke to my Thai wife mostly and he said in English you must pay 400 baht and would not give a receipt as they normally do there for my retirement visa or multi entry and said it takes at least 3 weeks and when I asked him can I get it sooner he said no so I said maybe better to go to Embassy to get it even though it cost 1600 baht.

He said up to you in a rude dismissive way.

We decided to let it go and do it there already since we paid allot for taxi and copies already and we hope for the best but I just wanted you to know that not everyone is friendly and maybe he had a bad day but trying to get info over the phone has been useless in my opinion in the years that I have been here. Good luck to those that have not had the same experiences as I have but sooner or later you will find out what I have experienced. Cheers to all

I'm going to try here before I open a new topic....

This is for chiangmai office.

I am not willing to get up at 5 or 6am to get a place number to renew my retirement extension.....don't go to bed until 2 or 3.

Obviously I have to go in later for the main deal.

A friend told me there are now plastic chairs outside and this is the queue and the numbers are given at 7.

I asked if he had to show any documents at this stage. No.

I asked if he thought I could just pay someone to queue and pick up the number for me. He said should be ok.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Btw...

That friend said he arrived at 6.20am and got number twenty something, but I just heard of a Korean going at 4.30am and also being in the twenties. If I get a person to do it, what time should they be there latest?

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

If you were in your own country would you not have to go yes you would but if you are not well that is different so why can't you do the wright thing and go I do all the time it is me in a other county and I have to do the wright thing by this country and go .

Thanks George.

You really want to give an ageing man a lousy day when I could make someone happy with their day's wages earned before 7?

George was too busy giving you his typical "know-it-all" lecture, rather than to remain on topic, and give you something useful!

I can't see why not "pay" someone to queue for you. This is Thailand, SEA, and Asians do exactly the same thing, all the time.

So George's remarks, beginning with, "If you were in your own country,etc." is absurd and asinine, as usual.

Your current reality is Thailand. End of story. Good luck, and best wishescoffee1.gif

Edited by NativeSon360
  • Like 1

Exactamento! Gandtee ~ A farang female, married to a Thai male, is regarded with a totally different viewpoint @ Thai Immigration. At the end of the day, LOS is really the Kingdom of Thailand wai2.gif.

Edited by NativeSon360

If you were in your own country would you not have to go yes you would but if you are not well that is different so why can't you do the wright thing and go I do all the time it is me in a other county and I have to do the wright thing by this country and go .

In my country the most I have ever had to wait in a queue anywhere is less than an hour. Chairs, airconditioning etc is provided.

Most things that need to be done are done over the internet or telephone. In the rare cases that interviews are required appointments are made and kept to.

Immigration does not have any form of 90 day reporting. Extensions can almost always be done by internet if the provision exists.

Importantly there is consistency througout the country from office to office for all requirements. There is never a case where one will insist on different documents to another office.

Extra fees do not exist. If offered or requested very severe fines and jail sentances exist.

To pick up the actual extension stamp ? At Jomthien my wife has gone by herself a couple of times just with my passport, no problems.

I try to limit my contact with immigration as much as I can, it's like pulling teeth.

So TRUE! But they are friendly when pulling these teeth right?wai.gif

Answer: DEPENDS.

If the OP is unable to attend Immigration himself on the grounds that he is too ill or incapacitated and has hospital confirmation to establish the fact, than Immigration would permit a Thai spouse to apply for a visa extension on his behalf, but otherwise, NO WAY.

I said to him I have no que and need a letter for Driver license renewal five years and is this the right place to wait?

He rudely shrugged off my question and nodded his head. He later came back and when he finally finished with the other person we went in and after he asked us to fill out a form and spoke to my Thai wife mostly and he said in English you must pay 400 baht

That is normal in all offices, some even charge 500 Bt for a certificate of residence.

Other than that, courtesy and respect are not deemed essential to work.

Thanks George.

You really want to give an ageing man a lousy day when I could make someone happy with their day's wages earned before 7?

George was too busy giving you his typical "know-it-all" lecture, rather than to remain on topic, and give you something useful!

I can't see why not "pay" someone to queue for you. This is Thailand, SEA, and Asians do exactly the same thing, all the time.

So George's remarks, beginning with, "If you were in your own country,etc." is absurd and asinine, as usual.

Your current reality is Thailand. End of story. Good luck, and best wishescoffee1.gif

Thanks NativeSon

still hoping for a personal experience to confirm or reject if a third party can queue for a number.

Frankly i'm amazed everyone doesn't do it.

Well actually that's what the visa company is earning their money for, but personally as the missus does my 90 days I'm unwilling to spend what they want if I can pay someone 300 baht for the same.

Edited by cheeryble

@Yooyung, as you've already made the application, then you are merely attending to collect your extension.

If this is your first application I would be tempted to attend along with your wife.

As Joe suggested I would ring them. If it's only a collection and your extension has been approved I see no problems with your wife going alone.

Sounds like you applied in a Thai Embassy somewhere in the world, last time I applied at Jakarta my gf picked the passport up for me, she had to show the number they gave me when i applied.

Edited by bander

Sounds like you applied in a Thai Embassy somewhere in the world, last time I applied at Jakarta my gf picked the passport up for me, she had to show the number they gave me when i applied.

Nope You need to read the topic again.

He applied for an extension of stay based upon marriage and has to go back for his extension stamp.

bander, on 25 Oct 2014 - 16:02, said:

That's the problem when people use the incorrect terms. Your thinking 'Visa' because the OP stated Non Imm O Visa.

However he also stated he applied at an Immigration office, in which case it couldn't be for a Visa.

Joe immediately corrected the OP, but you didn't read all the posts.

A Visa is a document allowing you to enter Thailand.

Thereafter you apply for 'extensions' at an Immigration office within Thailand.

A 'Visa' becomes unusable after it's expiry date.