Sleep Disorder

ThaiPauly

I have a similar problem: I get off to sleep usually with no problem but wake up frequently during the night (sometimes literally 15mins after dropping off) and wake up far to early and am not getting near enough sleep anymore. I used to be an 8hr straight through until 2 years ago.

I have read in this thread that quite a few people getting good results from Melatonin - even the long suffering OP's wife was able to get some relief although sad to read it's no longer working.

If anyone with the similar problem of frequent awakenings and waking too early can let me know exactly what type of Melatonin they use and what dose they use would be greatly appreciated. A year or so ago I tried the (expensive) slow release Melatonin but it did nothing for me at all. I'm not sure if that rules out Melatonin for me generally?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best of luck to the OP's wife.

I use 2mg 'Circadin' available most places in BKK...one tab about 1 hour before retiring and seems to do the trick...

but on occasion I'll wake up after 4 hours and not get back to sleep...I've been taking it for almost a year now and maybe that's not good...3 months at a stretch is what's recommended on the instructions...presently on holiday I've held off altogether...

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So that's it?

You don't sleep? here is a bunch of pills.

Pills don't work? get some blood tests!

Your hormones are imbalanced? here is hormones treatment.

You don't even try to understand why is your body suddenly acting that way?

some of us have to get on with work and don't have the time for a full diagnosis which can be prolonged, extensive, etc...

if there is medication available that allows full and effective daily functioning I'd say just use it...

but, that's not to say that a complete understanding of one's sleeplessness problem is not useful...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I've had sleep issues for ,,, possibly ever, without wanting to go over my personal history a few essentials; Caffeine management, cut it out completely is best but certainly none after 2pm including fizzy drinks chocolate ect.

the 'not getting back to sleep' really is the common denominator. This is FOCUS ISSUE meditation deals with this and is 100 % transferable.

other things: a TOTALLY darkened room, eye mask, earplugs all help me

yeah...preparing for sleep every night is a serious business...during a work/sleep schedule I don't drink anything but water after 7pm (no caffeine after 2pm) and pop the Circadin around 8ish...the bedroom has the AC goin' and it's cool, dark and quiet...I aim for 930pm to get to bed to rise around 5-6 the next morning...a hot shower and then snuggle under the duvet with the kindle...usually asleep by 10 unless what I'm reading is particularly engaging...

Yeah but melatonin is aimed at people not naturally producing 'melatonin' , so take a coarse then see if the replenishing process has been triggered off/controlled by the pill / sleep. I wish you well. But from my expirence NO artificial enducer works on long term sufferers.

Your partly there by working out your sleeping needs then its a case of working a your lifestyle around that.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by rijit

Sorry if it has been said as I don't log on often anymore

You know this may help some folks? I don't know but.........here it is

Due to meditating when younger some things stuck with me all my life even though I do not formally sit & meditate anymore.

Anyway during those years of learning I realized that in reality if we lay our physical bodies down for X hours

& relax.... + of course try not to chase too many thoughts even if we do not sleep per se' we ( I ) do not walk or feel like a zombie the next day

but feel exactly the same as if I had slept deeply.

I know folks say "no you need REM & deep sleep" but I think while the conscious mind has shut down your sub conscious is

still racing thru all the dreams etc anyway...yet your are not tired?

So maybe just knowing this might help some folks to relax & not try so hard to sleep?

Knowing all your physical body really needs is to park & relax.

I think the folks who walk in a trance the following days is not due so much/only to the lack of deep sleep

but due to the worry about not having had a deep sleep & then expecting to feel like a zombie

Hahah.... sorry if I did not express this clearly enough but I think most know what I mean

To those reaching for the pills maybe try this knowing your body has what it needed just by laying

down & really resting & of course tame your mind as much as you can......You will likely fall asleep

anyway from this alone

Also I do not mean to make light of those who need pills

I know some folks have all kinds of problems with twitching muscle spasms etc & need relief

Good Luck ;)

That I'm sure the above was meant with well

. But thb its the.sort of stuff that's held back 'meditation' for decades , most , would go ,,, <deleted> !!! And ignore

But the bottom line is it's a pragmatic skill practice that's very usable in todays everyday world.

And it ESPECIALLY transfers over to sleep issues

That I'm sure the above was meant with well

. But thb its the.sort of stuff that's held back 'meditation' for decades , most , would go ,,, <deleted> !!! And ignore

But the bottom line is it's a pragmatic skill practice that's very usable in todays everyday world.

And it ESPECIALLY transfers over to sleep issues

I dont get it?

Yes it was meant well & no it does not hold back meditation to state its benefits

Yes very useful as stated

Maybe a language misunderstanding? :)

Flagator, she recently had a full health check before this problem started and was in tip-top condition 3 months ago. She has been on medication for about 2 months now.

I do worry about the amount of medication she is taking,and the long term,

She actually did sleep in another room last night away from me, but there was still no difference, she got 4 hours and was awake from 2am onwards.

All the advice given on this thread is useful, but conflicting in a lot of ways so it's making it harder for me to know what the right thing to do is.

But please keep your comments coming, I have to get to the bottom of this problem and help her resolve it.

Thank You all

TP

4 hours sleep would be ok if she got up pottered around for a while and then got back to sleep for another 4 hours.history tells us before electricity families would often do this,and its what i do sometimes,wake up after 4 hours,get up and do something and then go back for another 4 hours.

Flagator, she recently had a full health check before this problem started and was in tip-top condition 3 months ago. She has been on medication for about 2 months now.

I do worry about the amount of medication she is taking,and the long term,

She actually did sleep in another room last night away from me, but there was still no difference, she got 4 hours and was awake from 2am onwards.

All the advice given on this thread is useful, but conflicting in a lot of ways so it's making it harder for me to know what the right thing to do is.

But please keep your comments coming, I have to get to the bottom of this problem and help her resolve it.

Thank You all

TP

4 hours sleep would be ok if she got up pottered around for a while and then got back to sleep for another 4 hours.history tells us before electricity families would often do this,and its what i do sometimes,wake up after 4 hours,get up and do something and then go back for another 4 hours.

One thing is written in stone,, get her of the sleeping pills and start dealing with the problem. And the problem is getting back to sleep. HOW Can you/she best achieve that.?

I have a similar problem: I get off to sleep usually with no problem but wake up frequently during the night (sometimes literally 15mins after dropping off) and wake up far to early and am not getting near enough sleep anymore. I used to be an 8hr straight through until 2 years ago.

I have read in this thread that quite a few people getting good results from Melatonin - even the long suffering OP's wife was able to get some relief although sad to read it's no longer working.

If anyone with the similar problem of frequent awakenings and waking too early can let me know exactly what type of Melatonin they use and what dose they use would be greatly appreciated. A year or so ago I tried the (expensive) slow release Melatonin but it did nothing for me at all. I'm not sure if that rules out Melatonin for me generally?

I know how you feel, I need to take 10mg Melatonin and about half hour later half Alprazolam = 0.5mg. Sometimes I need to take half Alprazolam more but this guarantees a good sleep. The extra half Alprazolam is exception but it happens 1-2 times per week. I need to take these pills every day during the last 5 years. No increase of dosage after all these years. If I would drink coffee after 1pm (even decaf) even above dosage will keep me awake. It all started when I quit drinking alcohol.

I know how you feel, I need to take 10mg Melatonin and about half hour later half Alprazolam = 0.5mg. Sometimes I need to take half Alprazolam more but this guarantees a good sleep. The extra half Alprazolam is exception but it happens 1-2 times per week. I need to take these pills every day during the last 5 years. No increase of dosage after all these years. If I would drink coffee after 1pm (even decaf) even above dosage will keep me awake. It all started when I quit drinking alcohol.
Yep, i became more aware of my sleeping issues when i gave up drinking alcohol 17 ish years ago And been through ALL THE cycles. The one things for defo is sleeping pills, in any shape or form are NOT THE way to go , look at your bedtime ritual, can you find things that will help you ? Keep a record of your sleep. Totally Dark room, eye masks, reading a book, single beds

Ear plugs. Give yourself enuf time in bed WHAT EVER it takes to get the needed hours. NOT one thing will cure you it`ll be a mish mash of many things will work for you and from my expirence it won't go away you`ll just be able to manage it better. And.i reiterate sleeping pills WILL not help you they ultimately will make you ILL. I.stopped B4 they did.