24-year-old British woman dies at beauty treatment clinic in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic.

This is the secomd instant of this type of death reported in the past few weeks.

"It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic."

Who said this didn't happen?

Who said it did? The impression from the report is that it's a turn up and get done sort of clinic!

It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic.

This is the secomd instant of this type of death reported in the past few weeks.

"It might be of some assurance of compentency of these institutions to those going under the knife, if they were admitted a day early, checked for alergic reaction by qualified/trained personnel who specialize in adminstration of anaesthetic."

Who said this didn't happen?

Who said it did? The impression from the report is that it's a turn up and get done sort of clinic!

"Who said it did?"

Clever response.

The report doesn't give that impression at all, unless you can indicate the part that does.

• Like 1

British woman dies in Bangkok plastic surgery clinic
By Coconuts Bangkok

spclinic.jpg
Photo: Google Maps

BANGKOK: -- A young British woman died at a beauty clinic in the capital’s Huai Khwang district last night while undergoing a second treatment.

The 24-year-old Briton reportedly died while receiving anaesthesia for hip surgery last night at SP Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, which has operated for 10 years under a valid license.

The clinic offers the usual range of laser treatments, liposuction and body augmentation services.

Her doctor, 51-year-old Sompop Saensiri, was detained for questioning while police inspect whether the clinic had proper emergency equipment and followed health standards.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2014/10/24/british-woman-dies-bangkok-plastic-surgery-clinic

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-10-24

RIP. Brits and Burmese should think twice before coming to Thailand.

As well as Cambodians, Germans, Swedish, Danish, Ozzies, Kiwi's, Belgians.......should I go on?

Yes you should, then state why you choose to ignore your own sage advice .

• Like 1

""Anesthesic doctor said before undergoing general anesthesia, she was asked to inform the doctor about all other medication that she has taken. In this case, a doctor said she might not inform."

And

"Authorities speculate the deceased woman ate a meal prior to receiving anaesthetic, which caused complications resulting in her death. Her body has been submitted for forensic examination."

Appears to be a concerted effort taking place to blame the victim in this case.

Seems that the medical profession is the same the world over.

Deny, deny, deny

Blame, blame, blame

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

Bangkok is full of clinics....all over the place, thousands upon thousands of them. How do they make money? could it be by cutting corners, using poorly qualified staff and poor quality equipment, but still charging relatively high prices to make up for a very low volume of customers? Remember, thousands of clinics means smaller numbers of clients per clinic, but still very high marketing costs to get attention. I am naming no names and making no accusations, just asking questions. You do the maths.

I don't understand why people goes to these clinics instead of to a proper hospital, which, if an emergency happens, will have a better chance resuscitating the patient. Sure it might be cheaper, but isn't your life worth more than saving a few thousand baht?

UPDATE:

Doctor arrested for British girl’s death at beauty clinic

24-10-2557-14-39-39-wpcf_728x406.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Metropolitan Division Two police today detained a doctor after holding him responsible for the death of a British woman in his beauty clinic on Lardprao road Thursday night.

Deputy police commander Pol Col Chayut Marayat said interrogation of the SP Clinic owner and responsible doctor Somphob Sansiri, 51, the woman came to have cosmetic surgery since October 14.

He said the dead woman, identified as 24-year-old Joy Noah Williams, had previously undergone cosmetic plastic surgery at the clinic but returned yesterday to have some correction to her tailbone area.

After the surgery, she was found to remain unconscious and that efforts were launched to save her life. However she died later on the bed.

The officer said they would detain the doctor 12 days for further interrogation but would not object if he would seek temporary release on bail from the court.

Initially the police have charged the dicyor for reckless operation that resulted in the death of other.

He said the police would also take action with other clinic staff responsible in the team of surgery, and inspect the premises to see whether it was equipped with life-saving equipment as required by the law.

Her body was taken to the Police General Hospital for a post mortem examination this morning to establish the actual cause of death.

Her death was reported to Phahon Yothin police station at about 11 pm Thursday night.

Police, forensic officials and rescue workers rushed to SP Clinic at Soi Lat Phrao 41/1, Lardprao road in Huay Kwang district.

They found the body of a British woman aged 24 on an operating table on the first floor of the four-storey commercial building which houses the clinic.

There was a three inch-long stiched incision on her tail bone.

Before her death she asked the clinic to correct her tailbone area. She died receiving an intravenous anaesthetic, according to earlier police information.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/doctor-arrested-british-girls-death-beauty-clinic/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-10-24

Thai Bashing, after everything thats been going on of late...thai bashing seems to be pretty common.

I agree with Prbkk, who knows what clinic is legal or not and if they say they are, how do we know...with all their lies and corruption its hard to really know who is telling the truth here. Ladproa is where I live in Bkk. There are heaps of Beauty clinics here...well all over thailand. Id only have something done in a Private hospital here, not an outside beauty clinic....May the girl rest in peace...poor thing.

• Like 1

For the family and friends of the lady in question,this is an absolutely tragic event which should not have occurred.My condolences to the family.

Despite some TV contributors suspicions that general anaesthesia has an element of associated risk,I can assure them that modern day anaesthesia is actually a very safe procedure in the right hands with the correct equipment.

To speculate on the events leading up to the death of the patient will only precipitate more grief amongst the relatives of the patient.I sincerely hope that the authorities overseeing this tragedy find the cause of death,and take the appropriate action against the clinic and medical practitioners involved.In England there would be a high profile coroner's inquest,with subsequent litigation for several million pounds.

Although negligence and incompetence come high on the list of possible causes of death,we shall just have to hope that the truth is revealed as quickly as possible,although I shall not hold my breath.

• Like 1

The tragic experience of a friend of mine almost two years ago in one of Bangkok's premier hospitals has taught me that I should never, ever have any form of elective surgery in Thailand.

My friend's experience showed that should something go horribly wrong there is zero accountability, no coroner's investigation, no genuinely independent inquiry. Legal wranglings could last years if you are unwilling to settle out of court, or if you want the hospital to accept responsibility.

Private medical care is cheap here (compared with the west) for a reason.

Edited by Niltava
  • Like 2

is that right , at 11pm. what the hell kind of surgery do you have at 11 pm at night ? sounds fishy to me.

It is very common for surgical procedures to take place outside normal "office hours". It is considered normal practice all over the world. There are several reasons, including surgeons and anaesthesiologists working in another clinic or hospital during the day. This is a common reason a procedure is scheduled late at night.

I hope that explains it.

Ok she goes to a plastic surgeon for hip surgery at 11 pm at night. facepalm.gif

You may need surgery to remove your finger from the enter button on your keyboard.facepalm.gif

my wife had surgery in bkk at 2 am in the morning. they operate 24\7 and there was a 4 month waiting list.

i also couldnt believe it.

Quality service and safety all in line with the quality tourist.

What a stupid post. What do you know about the deceased?

drop dead beautiful....

what a tragedy, that people cannot live with the way they are.

Yeah, top post, Mr. Judgmental

The deceased chose to have surgery so she could show off her perfectly-formed HIP