24-year-old British woman dies at beauty treatment clinic in Bangkok

webfact

"...In many cases heavy sedation is used for colonoscopy and that has a far higher mortality rate than a general anaesthetic".

As the recipient of over 30 procedures carried out in various Australian clinics I have to say that not once was I ever under the impression that I was in receipt of anything less than fully medically approved and sanctioned. Heavy sedation and general anaesthetics given in clinics are an extremely common practice in Australia for a multitude of procedures. I note the caution given to these practices in other countries by some posters. I cannot speak for anywhere but Australia and my own experiences.

If ever there was a situation where the client had to make a very personal choice based upon their own beliefs, experiences and research, this is it.

One would presume that in Oz there is extremely strong regulation of this practice. Anethsatists are highly paid, heavily insured individuals and as such are not cheap

It has been stopped in the UK because of the risk.

Note in the UK many colonoscopies are carried out using heavy sedation not full GA. I don't know if you are talking about heavy sedation versus GA.

Either way, GA is a very serious issue and shouldn't be trifled with. I would never undergo a GA outside a hospital in Thailand, and tourists should be warned about this.

• Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My belief is that this sort of practice is highly regulated in Australia so I guess that's why I'm here to tell the tale smile.png I have had both procedures and from a patient point of view I would not have known the difference what procedure was used post surgery.

Regrettably, many cosmetic tourists are coming to Thailand during their vacation and are 'hell-bent' on getting that nose job etc. done quickly so they can show it off once they return home. The many advertisements for Thai cosmetic vacations that regularly appear in o/s magazines etc. usually make reference to the dangers involved. Caveat Emptor

Orando Laborando

Wilco, please tell us a more about your 'personal and broad experience' of Thai hospitals. What are your qualifications other than an ability to endlessly bash all things Thai?

You'll have most likely have noticed by now fellow posters that 'wilcopops' refuses to answer questions put to him (see above). Classic troll material - there endeth the conversation - but wait, 'willcopops' will want to get the last word in true troll fashion, just watch.

your answer is a few posts above.

I notice now you are re-spouting some of my observations - nice to see you are learning from my posts.

Edited by wilcopops

In addition, Sompop is in fact a licensed general-practice doctor and has no licence to perform plastic surgery.

In performing the surgery without a licence, he risks up to three years in jail and/or a fine of up to Bt60,000.

Sompop has reportedly so far denied any wrongdoing, insisting that he proceeded in line with proper surgical procedures.

The doctor had no license to perform cosmetic surgery, but claims he did nothing wrong in performing a surgery he wasn't licensed to perform???

I'm not sure he needs a licence in Cosmetic Surgery.

Come on OPs why are so many of you engaging in your regular Thai bashing - Joan Rivers recently died in a Private Clinic in New York while having a minor procedure (gastroscopy I think). The full story isn't out yet (based on the suing culture of the States) but judging by recent statements made by her daughter it looks like the Anaesthetist was responsible. Now we presume that one on the leading ladies of US television wasn't having this done in a cheap and dodgy clinic - so it seems that this happens even in the best of medical establishments.

Well said, and it's about time some posters e.g. 'willcopops' who has been a relentless Thai basher all day turned his computer off. Makes me wonder why he even bothers to call Thailand HOME! There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments. One never seems to hear about the hundreds of thousands of successful operations carried out each year and the very happy patients. Lets hope a bit of balance can creep into the conversation.

yet more incoherent and baseless babble.

firstly I'm not Thai bashing - I'm underlining the potential hazards in the Thai healthcare system. i get these concerns from a good knowledge of Thailand and its culture and working/training practices - of which I have personal and broad experience.

Rather than make nape-of-the-neck statements using hackneyed phrases when you don't agree with someone, have you considered putting forward a reasoned and considered argument?

I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall using the term HOME to describe my stay in Thailand - I think yet again it is one of your baseless assumptions.

"There must be thousands of well qualified plastic surgeons in Thailand working in first class establishments" - this is precisely the baseless assumption that has lead so many people into risky or dangerous situations in Thai healthcare - a blind faith in anyone in a white coat........which of course is what unscrupulous and poorly trained medical practitioners rely on.....you're their perfect customer - uneducated on matters medical and totally uncritical.

Balance? - i AM the balnce - against the kind of tripe that is promulgated by those who don't think critically and know little of medical practices.

read my posts and if you disagree with any point I make, rather than resort to cliche, put forward a coherent argument against it.

If your relentless Thai bashing wasn't so palpable and your poor use of language composition so fractured and meaningless, I'd have to say you were a good contender for troll of the week. Why you just can't admit that there may be, just may be, another side to the argument shows your bigoted and one-eyed view up for what it is.

"I'm sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't ever recall using the term HOME to describe my stay in Thailand..." Stand corrected - you do the research.

Please reread your response and contemplate what is grammatically incorrect about it.

This like the Koh Tao murders has created quite a stir in the UK press

Health experts have issued a stark warning about the dangers of “surgical tourism” after a young British woman died while undergoing cosmetic surgery in Thailand. Police have claimed the doctor carrying out the operation was not qualified to do so.
i have posted many times on the perils of medical tourism and the blind faith some have in the health care industry in Thailand.
Anyone thinking of any procedure here should think twice before doing so. If you can get it done at home - sod the cost - it's your life we are talking about.

In Australia - in almost ALL cases intensive care must be available ON - SITE. This makes it almost impossible to administer GAs outside a hospital.

Once you leave the basic tenant of your argument you start to enter the realm of fantasy. Putting to one-side your ad norseum, boring and repetitive slander of the Thai cosmetic surgery industry you rely solely upon those unfortunate stories in the media for your argument. You consistently fail to acknowledge the many successful procedures carried out each day in Thailand at world class facilities or give statistics to support your wild assertions.

"...in almost ALL cases..." what the hell does that mean? In one small sentence you use the word "almost" and then highlighted "ALL". Seems you not only want a quid each way but you are determined to make statements you cannot support.

I could, but I won't, name at least ten surgical clinics for example in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia that DO NOT have ICU equipment "...ON-SITE". This highly regulated area is, to my personal knowledge, staffed by highly qualified surgeons and staff.

Having consistently failed to answer the many questions put to you regarding your alleged expertise and extensive knowledge in this field, your claims place you as an apparent expert on surgical issues in the UK. Now, you claim to know all about Australian surgical issues. Were you aware that Australia is made up of six sovereign states and one mainland territory each having its own Department of Health consequently, they all have different legislation covering clinical procedures. When using the word Australia you will have to tell us to which state you are referring to. The legal issues surrounding medical malpractice in Victoria are not unknown to me.

Notwithstanding plain common sense (which for some is not so common) perhaps you would be good enough to inform TV what your qualifications are to render you so knowledgeable on this subject, particularly in Australia.

This could have happened anywhere in the world, a famous american woman died in th US the same way, please stop all the Thai bashing .

Medicine is the third leading cause of preventable death.

Your right, it happens everywhere. Just some places have better PR (read:$$$) to cover it up.

In Australia - in almost ALL cases intensive care must be available ON - SITE. This makes it almost impossible to administer GAs outside a hospital.

Once you leave the basic tenant of your argument you start to enter the realm of fantasy. Putting to one-side your ad norseum, boring and repetitive slander of the Thai cosmetic surgery industry you rely solely upon those unfortunate stories in the media for your argument. You consistently fail to acknowledge the many successful procedures carried out each day in Thailand at world class facilities or give statistics to support your wild assertions.

"...in almost ALL cases..." what the hell does that mean? In one small sentence you use the word "almost" and then highlighted "ALL". Seems you not only want a quid each way but you are determined to make statements you cannot support.

I could, but I won't, name at least ten surgical clinics for example in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia that DO NOT have ICU equipment "...ON-SITE". This highly regulated area is, to my personal knowledge, staffed by highly qualified surgeons and staff.

Having consistently failed to answer the many questions put to you regarding your alleged expertise and extensive knowledge in this field, your claims place you as an apparent expert on surgical issues in the UK. Now, you claim to know all about Australian surgical issues. Were you aware that Australia is made up of six sovereign states and one mainland territory each having its own Department of Health consequently, they all have different legislation covering clinical procedures. When using the word Australia you will have to tell us to which state you are referring to. The legal issues surrounding medical malpractice in Victoria are not unknown to me.

Notwithstanding plain common sense (which for some is not so common) perhaps you would be good enough to inform TV what your qualifications are to render you so knowledgeable on this subject, particularly in Australia.

you simply can't formulate an argument can you?

you seem to think that a mixture of ad hominem attacks plus some gainsaying mixed with a few irrelevant and ill-informed postulations about healthcare constitute some kind of argument - and saddest thing is you are completely unaware of any of this......

Edited by wilcopops

Well it would take me less than ten minutes of examining this clinic to tell you if it was safe or not.

I've not worked in one that was safe in the UK for a long time.....even certain very expensive private hospitals in London have their shortcomings.

Its not just a Thai issue this....some people will overlook the small print in the pursuit of the dollar.

Clinical surgery in all its guises in Thailand is a multi-million baht business that annually attracts thousands of patients from all over the world. I have no doubt that like many other aspects of medical treatment one would find both good and bad facilities, surgeons and staff. It’s regrettable that some folk can’t accept that there are other folk who have differing opinions regarding cosmetic procedures. No-one is wrong and no-one is a “fool” for whatever their choice. Folk may be just wanting to enhance their appearance and ultimately, their life. It is their choice and they should not be ridiculed for it.

Poster Wilcopops who has been more than active on TV re. this subject was recently asked; “please tell us more about your 'personal and broad experience' of Thai hospitals. What are your qualifications other than an ability to endlessly bash all things Thai?”

Wilcopops replied…

“…like only a fool would think that's going to happen, only a fool thinks "qualifications" validate an argument, and it's only a fool who can only resort to cliches rather than put up a proper counter-argument.

when it boils down to it - it is what I say that is relevant not who i am (my emphasis) - you really don't seem to grasp that......

- if you have a problem with any point I raise - take it up and propose an argument against - but you can't can you? you simply haven't got a leg to stand on.

Balance? - i AM the balnce (again, my emphasis) - against the kind of tripe that is promulgated by those who don't think critically and know little of medical practices”.

Well folks, now we know, we’re all “fools” if we have a differing opinion to Wilcopops. The absolute conceit and effrontery of Wilcopops to anonymously pen such arrogant replies knows no bounds. Following his(?) logic, it’s like going for a job interview without either written references or certificates of proficiency. Who would believe you? Wilcopops, as suggested by his posts purports to be an expert on clinical procedures in the USA, UK, Thailand and now Australia, or so he would have us believe. Note that he consistently refuses to say just what his qualifications are and where they were gained.

Of course! “Health experts have issued a stark warning about the dangers of “surgical tourism”” – it’s in their best interests to do so as they daily observe incredibly large amounts of money being made by others doing the same work in clinics.

BATING PARAGRAPH REMOVED BY MODERATOR

• Like 2