24-year-old British woman dies at beauty treatment clinic in Bangkok

webfact

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that right , at 11pm. what the hell kind of surgery do you have at 11 pm at night ? sounds fishy to me.

It is very common for surgical procedures to take place outside normal "office hours". It is considered normal practice all over the world. There are several reasons, including surgeons and anaesthesiologists working in another clinic or hospital during the day. This is a common reason a procedure is scheduled late at night.

I hope that explains it.

They do this because staff may have already done a full day's work in a hospital, and need to make extra money by "moonlighting

"

- there are seldom checks to find if these staff are over worked or over-tired and incapable of working 100%.

Edited by wilcopops

When the article says "tailbone" I assume they mean "coccyx" - e.g. were they operating on the spine?

Why was this woman not being operated on at home?

What had been the advice from her GP/consultant in UK?

Was she aware of how dangerous a general anaesthetic can be?

Edited by wilcopops

Quality service and safety all in line with the quality tourist.

Excuse me? This woman died, keep your tourist comments to yourself you complete ignoramus.

RIP the poor woman.

Just because....or rather EXACTLY because .... someone has died, the situation needs to be examined and commented on. This tragedy does fall in line with so many other bad stories concerning the welfare of tourists.

• Like 2

"The officer said they would detain the doctor 12 days for further interrogation but would not object if he would seek temporary release on bail from the court.

Initially the police have charged the dicyor for reckless operation that resulted in the death of other.

He said the police would also take action with other clinic staff responsible in the team of surgery, and inspect the premises to see whether it was equipped with life-saving equipment as required by the law."

so yet another example of poor police procedure and the contamination of a suspected crime scene?

I actually had eyelid surgery at SP Clinic last Tueaday one week prior to this death.

The doctor was very good about preparing me for surgery and advising me about my options for sedation. I had a long and detailed consultation with him. I chose a mild sedative and local anesthesia. I was awake and watching the entire operation. My pulse and blood pressure were closely monitored. I was going to have a second procedure done ,but he was worried that my blood pressre was very high from my anxiety and he made me come back two days later to do the other procedure. That was Thursday. He took all precautions and gave me correct sedation and a anti anxiety Med as well as local numbing shots. The surgery lasted two hours and he never rushed me or took risks. I went back on Tuesday this week to have my stitches removed and he was great and took his time.

I have tried calling all day to the clinic and really hope this was a terrible accident and no negligence on either doctor or patient. He is very educated and has many patients from all over the world. My Japanese friend had the same surgeries I had all at once due to her BP being low. She says she experienced the same as I did. Professional... Clean... and no bad side effects.

Very scary to read this today.

We both denied full sleeping after Joan Rivers death. Too many chances for complications with general anesthesia.

RIP

All you have done here is described a lay-person's subjective view of a procedure - there is nothing you ca say that can be construed as a "expert's" view of how well it was carried out.

Al you can say ides that you feel OK and are not dead.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

as long as there is a qualified anaesthetist (spelling) ...operations can be done in any clinic outside a hospital. There are millions of small private clinics all over the world that perform plastic surgery.

Advice to UK GPs -

"The drive for safer anaesthetics means that GA is seldom administered outside hospitals which have 24-hour anaesthetic cover and an intensive care unit."

The Dr is named and the clinic identified???!!! Have I suddenly been transported to another country?

Nothing can happen against them in any case.

YIngluck tried to pass a law to make doctors and clinics sueable in case of malpractice.

But the ultraconservative yellowish mafia blocked it.

Now a doctor is untouchable by law.

British woman, 24, dies during cosmetic surgery in Thailand
Bangkok, Thailand | AFP |

BANGKOK: -- A 24-year-old British woman has died during cosmetic surgery at a clinic in Bangkok, prompting Thai police to arrest her surgeon for criminal negligence, officials said Friday.

The Briton died during a corrective procedure Thursday evening at a cosmetic surgery clinic in the northern Lat Phrao district of the capital where she previously underwent liposuction, police lieutenant Chaleang Inthip told AFP.

"She visited the clinic for liposuction on October 14 and came back yesterday after contracting an infection... She died at the clinic at around 9:30 pm," he said.

The surgeon who operated on her has been detained in a Bangkok prison for causing death through negligence, a charge which carries a maximum of 10 years in jail, Chaleang said.

The British Embassy in Bangkok said Friday it was "aware of reports of the death of a British national in Bangkok on 23 October".

"We are providing consular assistance and cannot provide any further details at the moment," it said in a statement.

Thailand is a popular medical tourism hub with foreigners drawn by its reputation for low-cost but high-quality treatment.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2014-10-24

• Like 1

In the UK press now

BREAKING NEWS: British woman, 24, dies during operation on her tailbone at Bangkok beauty clinic performed by 'uncertified' doctor
  • 24-year-old stopped breathing after being given anaesthetic, say police
  • Doctor Sompob Saensiri 'not qualified for operation' and has been arrested
  • Police are investigating whether clinic had proper life-saving equipment
  • Officers say victim had visited the clinic in Thai capital Bangkok before

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2806146/British-woman-24-dies-undergoing-treatment-tailbone-beauty-clinic-Bangkok.html#ixzz3H3RMEIkT

I had cosmetic surgery at this clinic last month and there were complications. I still have swelling and numbness which I hope will disappear soon. OR is on second floor and elevator handles wheelchair only...no bed or stretcher.

Please PM me. Lets compare notes. I also had the cog thread lift. Really painful and lots of bruising. Edited by IAMSOBAD

Me missus told me about this this morning as it was the same 'SP' clinic and the same surgeon that gave her a decent nose job 6/7 ago. For this she only needed a local anaesthetic administered by the surgeon himself. But the Thai news reported that the unfortunate lady that died from a heart attack had a general anaesthetic, and this was administered by a doctor/anaesthetist from a hospital, which is a legal requirement in Thailand.

The clinic has been closed for 60 days and the surgeon arrested.

Edited by SunsetT

Most if not all surgeons operating in clinics administer anesthesia via IV such as Ketamine, Dormicum etc. (not General anesthesia which involves intubation, an anaesthesia machine and training as an anesthesiologist). This type of anesthesia is normally limited to minor procedures such as eye, nose and lip jobs but also in liposuction and breast implantation. The risk of developing an adverse reaction to the anesthetic/sedative is always there regardless but the difference is hospitals are equipped both with personnel and equipment to handle such emergencies while clinics are not.

The response time is critical and possibly as in this case if there was a severe anaphylatic reaction you only have minutes to react and even with the best equipment and personnel often is fatal.

Having any kind of plastic surgery procedure done at clinics always carries higher risks then when done at hospitals.

Problem is patients prefer the lower costs while the surgeons prefer the relatively higher doctor fees (due to less overhead).

This could have happened anywhere in the world, a famous american woman died in th US the same way, please stop all the Thai bashing .

It is not Thai bashing to point out the inherent dangers involved in undegoing elective surgery in a potentially unsafe environment

I haven't seen any facts about the quality of the clinic other than owner has a medical degree.

I agree wt balo, totally un-necessary Thai bashing.Do you have the figures to proof unsafe environment?

There's always a risk of death when anesthesia is administered. I hope this is investigated by the Department of Health, but most hospitals and clinics would have a patient sign a consent form for the surgery.

The main problem in Thailand is almost never they ask you about allergies.

I had a few surgery's here and they never asked , only when I told them and insisted they write it in red.

Go to any pharmacy and ask for antibiotic for whatever, dumb dumbs never ask if you have or aware of any allergy