Not fitting in yet, what do you think?

Bluetongue

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There seems to be two groups of farang here. One group like the OP have married moved into the country areas and hence have to try and fit in with Thai way and mixing with her family and all and sundry.

Of course there are shades in between, but I'm at other end of sprectum.

Basically yes I have the live with gf (for couple of years)

But basically its me and her and any farang friends of mine. Yes on her birthday or whatever we have drinks with couple of her friends , but that's it. Its my way or the highway. I couldn't stand living in some out post area fitting in with all that it entails. Good luck

• Like 2

There seems to be two groups of farang here. One group like the OP have married moved into the country areas and hence have to try and fit in with Thai way and mixing with her family and all and sundry.

Of course there are shades in between, but I'm at other end of sprectum.

Basically yes I have the live with gf (for couple of years)

But basically its me and her and any farang friends of mine. Yes on her birthday or whatever we have drinks with couple of her friends , but that's it. Its my way or the highway. I couldn't stand living in some out post area fitting in with all that it entails. Good luck

Plenty of urban Thais would say the same thing.

Don't marry khon baan nok....

Better the op than me.

Why do all you people out there in this forum use the word farangs It is such a bad word I am from the western farang is a racial word and thailand should start to teach the kids in the school to stop using that word you see I can't stand the word <deleted> and back home in my country Australia we have stop it some 20 years ago so I think thailand should take a stop and stop that word when I read the people here using it all the time I say get a life and think of how bad it is .

The OP does not say how long he has been in Thailand....but it does take some time (forever for some things) to really catch on to the nuances of the society, especially if one is in the rural areas. I have been here 10+ years and some days it seems like I stepped off the airplane yesterday.

As described, I think the OP handled things pretty well. One of the understandings my wife and I have is that when things like this happen, I need her to take a bit of time to explain to me <deleted> just happened/is happening.

Learning at least some basics of the Thai language will certainly help.

Re: "farang"...it is just a word, let it go...

Why do all you people out there in this forum use the word farangs It is such a bad word I am from the western farang is a racial word and thailand should start to teach the kids in the school to stop using that word you see I can't stand the word <deleted> and back home in my country Australia we have stop it some 20 years ago so I think thailand should take a stop and stop that word when I read the people here using it all the time I say get a life and think of how bad it is .

Really.."we have stop it" use the word farang. Why did you even post this nonsense.

Nonsense is it will yes I don't use the word and you would be the one that is nonsense

The OP does not say how long he has been in Thailand....but it does take some time (forever for some things) to really catch on to the nuances of the society, especially if one is in the rural areas. I have been here 10+ years and some days it seems like I stepped off the airplane yesterday.

As described, I think the OP handled things pretty well. One of the understandings my wife and I have is that when things like this happen, I need her to take a bit of time to explain to me <deleted> just happened/is happening.

So you have been here 10 years good how Good is your thai I have been here of and on for 6 years and I try to lean thai and my thai is very good of what Thai people tell me and I am just saying it is not a good word and it is about time thailand get with the real world I have told my thai I not like it and she understands were I am coming from so why can't peopl out there think the same as her on this forum but not saying all of you are but some of you would like the word &lt;deleted&gt; .

No, these 3 events made you probably think that you do not want to fit in. Like above poster stated...you did well.

I agree 100%.

Do not try too hard to fit in - be as natural as you can be and follow your well-honed instincts about matters.

We are the Farang and are only visitors/guests/tolerated - absolutely no need to try and be Thai.

• Like 1

You should start a topicabout use of the "F" word. I'm pretty sure it's never been discussed here before. whistling.gif

• Like 2

I have no plans to fit in with anyone or thing least of all Thailand its people or culture.............if Im honest.

Trying to "Go native" is not the same thing as making some effort to "fit in." The first is an unrealistic fantasy, while the latter requires some flexibility, which is often difficult for the elderly or others with impaired social adaptability skills.

Your intentions to continue living in a farang bubble oblivious to your surroundings are, unfortunately, rather common ( in at least two senses of the word) here at Thai Visa.

• Like 1

So you have been here 10 years good how Good is your thai I have been here of and on for 6 years and I try to lean thai and my thai is very good of what Thai people tell me and I am just saying it is not a good word and it is about time thailand get with the real world I have told my thai I not like it and she understands were I am coming from so why can't peopl out there think the same as her on this forum but not saying all of you are but some of you would like the word <deleted> .

Grow up - you are making yourself look a prat!

Farang is a common word used generically to reference a western foreigner. You quickly get used to being referred to as a Farang when someone is speaking to your wife about "Your Farang".

It is only offensive when used offensively - that would usually be in Pattaya and maybe Bangkok.

Me grow I am grown up you get a life and lean a bit about it on the way it is not a thai word ok it was mad up so grow and lean a bit about thailand before you open your mouth

So you have been here 10 years good how Good is your thai I have been here of and on for 6 years and I try to lean thai and my thai is very good of what Thai people tell me and I am just saying it is not a good word and it is about time thailand get with the real world I have told my thai I not like it and she understands were I am coming from so why can't peopl out there think the same as her on this forum but not saying all of you are but some of you would like the word <deleted> .

Is english your first language??

• Like 1