best place to buy good laptop in BKK?

thelongshoot

Im suprised there isnt a thread anywhere on this, or maybe I have used search wrong. Im looking for a decent laptop, 25 grand upwards, in Bangkok. Where is the best place to go without wandering around all day? I dont love the idea of pantip, I have always seen it as a giant flea market, albeit with new stuff. Or maybe I am wrong?

I was hoping to buy a lenovo Yoga or a Sony Viao. Happy to spend up to 50K if I have to.

Any suggestions? Central BKK would be better?

Many thanks in advance, TLS

Checkout ITCity, BananaIT and Power Buy stores which are in most major malls. Usually they have a pretty good selection of all brands and price ranges. And you'll be dealing with a large company which will hopefully be better if any thing goes wrong the first few weeks you have the laptop versus dealing with a small store. Of course after the first few weeks you pretty much have to rely on the laptop's warranty.

shop around. speak to thai friends.

though the best advice would be, if possible, not to buy a computer in thailand. dont know where you are from but computers are cheaper in the UK and there is the sale of goods act to protect the consumer. also you can speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

You can buy from whoever has the right model in the sealed box at the right price. After one week it would not make any difference as you would have to deal with manufacturer service center anyway in case something go wrong. In this price range the computer would have the OS pre-installed; do not let the shop touch the software.

Hi,

I have always bought new and had older PC's serviced at Pantip over 10+ years.

I met and continue to use the same Brothers Service counter over 6+ years at Pantip

What is most important is the warranty that the Manufacturer offers for a new PC.

I have bought 3 Dell PC's over the last three years.

Apart from being very well made, and with specifications and price, to suit all pockets,

the most important factor has been the warranty that Dell offers.

On the Dell units, I bought, I was offered - One year Accidental damage cover and two years full

Warranty.

The real gem of these warranty's was the full service and repairs - next day service - at your home/residence.

On purchase register the Dell unit on line, get a Service Tag Number for the unit and then enjoy your worry free

Laptop.

The support and repairs are excellent with new parts brought with the Technician, in response to your

advised problem issues.

Will never buy another make again.

Have previously had Lenova, Acer and HP units.

NB i am not connected in any way to Dell - only as owner and recipient of excellent product and support.

There is a pinned thread in this forum that lists online shops, it might be worth checking that out.

If I have to buy a part I will check 3 or 4 of these stores to get a general feel for the specs and proces available on the market.

The link for the online shops is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/61857-on-line-computerelectronic-stores/

There is a pinned thread in this forum that lists online shops, it might be worth checking that out.

If I have to buy a part I will check 3 or 4 of these stores to get a general feel for the specs and proces available on the market.

The link for the online shops is http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/61857-on-line-computerelectronic-stores/

I agree its best to look online, unless you have time to waste in malls with service staff of limited abilities.

Go to a location that has many laptops set up as demos, check the keyboard is to your liking and more important that the screen look s good to you. Most of the display units have horrible glossy screens that I find hard to use but may be OK for you. Online shopping has advantages but not for selecting laptops/devices where look and feel are important.

I've found its always best to buy from Tesco, Big C or a department store like Pratunam.

With department stores you'll pay a little bit more, but if anything goes wrong, you'll get great customers service.

Tesco and Big C are cheap but offer a full refund if there's a problem and good service.

Also you'll know that its genuine and isn't a fake.

I once almost bought a Dell that wasn't a Dell - if you know what I mean.

I always buy Dell, they have great customer service.

Edited by t8769

If you can overcome your reservations about Pantip then I'd certainly recommend the place.

I bought a perfectly good Acer there back in January (25,000 baht) but if you need an EN (UK) keyboard then make sure that's what the physical keyboard is.

This conventional/touchscreen laptop has an EN (US) physical keyboard but also had an EN (UK) virtual keyboard installed.........................until the latest Win 8.1 "update" rendered it unavailable!

All attempts to reinstall/reactivate have proved useless and I've now discovered that this is a notorious bug with, as yet, no fix from Microsoft.

Just be aware if you're intending to use Windows OS!

If you can overcome your reservations about Pantip then I'd certainly recommend the place.

I bought a perfectly good Acer there back in January (25,000 baht) but if you need an EN (UK) keyboard then make sure that's what the physical keyboard is.

This conventional/touchscreen laptop has an EN (US) physical keyboard but also had an EN (UK) virtual keyboard installed.........................until the latest Win 8.1 "update" rendered it unavailable!

All attempts to reinstall/reactivate have proved useless and I've now discovered that this is a notorious bug with, as yet, no fix from Microsoft.

First of all, I also would not condem Pantip. It has some great stores where you can buy good laptops. Unless you go for advise. Anyway, you should check the internet for the kind of laptop you want and then go ahead. MBK has also (on the same floor as the smartphones from Samsung and Apple) a PC store, where you can buy laptops, but it doesn't have the choice you would have in Pantip.

Now about windows 8.1. Just because one person has "bad" experiences, doesn't mean that the whole OS sucks. I just turned on my old HP Touchsmart tx2. It is running Win 8.1 and it has a functioning virtual keyboard. The keyboard has big size letters and is easy to use. And it runs better under Win 8.1 then under 7. If I turn the screen around and use it as a Windows 8.1 tablet, it turns itself in the right position, which it never did under Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 (WITH all the updates) is far better then Windows 7 and for sure recommendable.

I do not recommend Sony Vaio for Linux users, it is expensive and so dependent of Windows. I have one model SVT141A11W with Linux installed, and the mouse pad does not work (I'm using an external mouse right now) as it does in windows, one USB port is totally dead (I need to use USD hub), no way I can get it to work, but in windows it does. Well.. in my experience Sony Vaio is totally Windows OS oriented, if you are comfortable with this, go for it. I really recommend you to look for an Asus (work perfect with a wide range of operating systems). Good luck with your decision.

First of all, I also would not condem Pantip. It has some great stores where you can buy good laptops. Unless you go for advise. Anyway, you should check the internet for the kind of laptop you want and then go ahead. MBK has also (on the same floor as the smartphones from Samsung and Apple) a PC store, where you can buy laptops, but it doesn't have the choice you would have in Pantip.

Now about windows 8.1. Just because one person has "bad" experiences, doesn't mean that the whole OS sucks. I just turned on my old HP Touchsmart tx2. It is running Win 8.1 and it has a functioning virtual keyboard. The keyboard has big size letters and is easy to use. And it runs better under Win 8.1 then under 7. If I turn the screen around and use it as a Windows 8.1 tablet, it turns itself in the right position, which it never did under Windows 7.

Windows 8.1 (WITH all the updates) is far better then Windows 7 and for sure recommendable.

Errm................not "one person" Thaijack2014 - this is a well documented and very widespread problem that a brief Google search will reveal to anyone who bothers to look before expounding their "know all" views on T.V......................

shop around. speak to thai friends.

though the best advice would be, if possible, not to buy a computer in thailand. dont know where you are from but computers are cheaper in the UK and there is the sale of goods act to protect the consumer. also you can speak to someone who knows what they are talking about.

and all major manufacturers offer worldwide warranty. Dell and HP let you check warranty status online by inputing your serial number. If you buy in BKK make sure the OS is pre-installed by the manufacturer - don't let the shop put a Thai hacked version on.

Windows 8.1 for home users - maybe yes, but for commercial purposes probably no. If I was an employer with many staff using Win 7 (or earlier systems) then I don't want to spend money retraining them on a new system!

Maybe Win10 will suit commercial users and home users alike, will wait and see.

The only place to buy a computer in BKK is Panthip Plaza, with the exception of the authorized Apple stores for Apple brands.

I go to the large store in the middle of the series of floors or the top floor store because both will be there for a long time and not disappear. The other small shops keep these two big ones competitive in price, so I dont even bother to shop around anymore... just go to either of these stores.

Panthip Plaza is becoming world famous as one stop shopping for computers and all accs. Why go anywhere else unless you want to pay more for a HiSo experience.

In Pantip they have shops selling Lenovo and Sony.. Im just saying..

I used Panthip in the late 90's, at that time I don't think there were many other IT type malls.

Only thing I find with Panthip and the surrounding area is the noise, it's so busy and crowded, and not that easy to get to.

I think Fortune is a much nicer place to shop, and so easy to get to.

The only place to buy a computer in BKK is Panthip Plaza, with the exception of the authorized Apple stores for Apple brands.

I go to the large store in the middle of the series of floors or the top floor store because both will be there for a long time and not disappear. The other small shops keep these two big ones competitive in price, so I dont even bother to shop around anymore... just go to either of these stores.

Panthip Plaza is becoming world famous as one stop shopping for computers and all accs. Why go anywhere else unless you want to pay more for a HiSo experience.

Another one who doesn't want people to find out that Fortune is a far better shopping experience than the second hand turkish bazaar that Panthip has turned into?

why would you want to spend 50 g's on a lap top? if you are a serious gamer maybe, Fortune the place to go. 4th floor above tesco/lotus. just bought a brand new slim light weight 1.5 k. acer with all the goodies, win 8.1, & 8 gig ram, less than 15 g's